Upstairs Bungalow Remodel / Bathroom Addition

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
guitarguy

Upstairs Bungalow Remodel / Bathroom Addition

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:09 am

So we are planning a remodel of the upstairs (master) bedroom area of our small 995 sqft MI bungalow. To date, we have basically redone the whole house except for upstairs, so it's kind of next on the list. The good thing is, we have an open bedroom on our main level, so we can basically just move downstairs for a while during the remodel and we won't be put out too badly, and we are big time DIY'ers so we will try to keep the cost on the lower side. The bad news is this will be a pretty extensive amount of work...with the renovation covering several aspects:

1. Heating/Cooling. Our upstairs is very hot in the summer and very cold in the winter. We essentially "zone" heat/cool it by using a window AC unit and an electric fireplace type heater as needed throughout the year. It works OK, but we want to look into adding a cold air return (there are none up there) upstairs in addition to adding some insulation to the attic. Right now we do get ice dams in the winter, so I'm sure there is some insulating that can be done in there along the exterior edges. The attic area is thankfully bone dry.

2. The whole room/area is wood paneling...we're going to take all of that off and replace with drywall. From a quick look it seems there is no plaster behind the paneling and it is nailed - so hopefully not glued in addition. There is insulation on the back of the paneling...I'm not sure if we'll have to replace all of this...not sure whether it's attached to the back of the paneling or sideways to the studs.

3. New carpet (stairs and room). The existing carpet is old, cheap, and dingy. This would get hired out.

4. New double closet addition. This is a big one...our current closet is pretty small. If you can picture coming up the stairs in a bungalow, we have a 5.5' or so wide "hallway" that sort of leads into the bedroom. We are planning on building a wide double closet that stretches the length of this area and would turn the wider walkway into a standard 36" hallway. We will probably want to add some lighting here too. I've actually built a closet from scratch in our basement already, and I'm pretty good with electrical too so I feel comfortable tackling all of this.

4. Bathroom addition. This is the big one that we're sort of fighting with whether or not it will be worth the cost. It involves removing our existing closet and turning that space into a bathroom. We have only 1 bathroom on the main level, so a second will obviously be nice. However, we have roughly a 5x5 space before things start getting tight in terms of bedroom space. If we stretched it to 5x8, I feel like it would make the bedroom area too small...at that point we wouldn't really have space for our modest queen bed with a night stand on either side. A 6x6 3/4 bath isn't feasible either, since we only have 5' on the one side before we start jutting out into what will be the hallway. On top of that, we have the "slope down" of the bungalow roof that could play a part because it prohibits us from putting a small 36" stand up shower along that wall. So we may only end up with a half bath.

Now, at first thought any bath would be a good thing...adding one in a 1 bath house is big. However, our upstairs area is really only used for sleeping. Other than that we're never really up there. So we're questioning how often this bathroom will actually get used. We're a relatively young couple (31 yrs) with no kids. Possible plan for kids down the road, but don't really see that as a deciding factor. Neither of us get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night very often so it's not like we're hauling up and down the stairs all the time to pee. So I question...how much will this bathroom get used? If it was a full bath, sure, we could shower up there daily and keep our beautifully redone main floor shower spotless. But only a half bath...how much will it really get used? Is it worth the cost? We will have to hire out the rough plumbing for sure, which will be a job. Would a smaller bedroom space in exchange for this bathroom be worth it in the long run? What about resale...I don't know that I've ever really seen a half bath attached to a master bedroom. If we cram in a full bath...the bedroom will be very small...maybe too small...but we'll have great closet space and a full bathroom up there. There are so many questions and things to consider.

Neighborhood wise, the standard is no bath on the upstairs of these bungalows, with the exception of our next door neighbor. They did a half bath up there. I haven't seen it, but my neighbor has mentioned it in passing. I'd love to ask hey man can I see your layout? But then that might be a bit weird if he doesn't come out and offer to show me during conversation.

I'd appreciate thoughts/opinions on any of the above. We're at the start of planning a long and stressful project that will involve a lot of work and big decisions.

jfn111

Re: Upstairs Bungalow Remodel / Bathroom Addition

Postby jfn111 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:21 am

The area I work in we have a lot of the 1 1/2 story style bungalows that tend to have all the problems you mention. When were talking with sellers the number one reason they want to move is the lack of upstairs bathroom. You might be young enough that this hasn't been an issue for you but wait till you get a little older. :shock:
It's hard to get a decent sized bathroom without putting in a dormer to raise the ceiling height. I don't know your market but, generally, it will help the resale value to have that upstairs bathroom.

lthenderson

Postby lthenderson » Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:52 am

I generally find adding a bathroom to a house with only one is money well spent in terms of what you will get when you go to sell it. One question, have you thought of adding 3/4 bath instead of a full bath or half bath upstairs. Essentially you have just a stand up shower with no tub but still have a sink and a porcelain throne. The advantage is you could fit that in a 5x5 space fairly comfortably. You could perhaps increase the size to something more comfortable like 5 x 6 or 5 x 7 to find the biggest bathroom without intruding into your current bedroom too much.

Your comments about ice dams also caught my eye. They are generally caused by either too much heat escaping into your attic or lack of ventilation or a combination of both. I've seen many a time where people throw up more insulation in their attic and reduce the ventilation coming in through the soffit baffles (your comment about adding insulation to the edges) and only make things worse. I've fixed many a ice dam problem by simply adding a few more ventilation ports in the soffit. Just make sure you don't decrease your ventilation when adding insulation around the edges.

imoapie

Postby imoapie » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:04 am

Dormer?

adamthesmythe

Postby adamthesmythe » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:09 am

Even at 1000 square feet, the market for 1-bath houses is very limited. It is certainly limited to families without children, at least when you get outside of low income areas.

I had an older house with a very small toilet-sink-shower bath attached to the master bedroom that was very manageable. 5x5 feet could have been about the size. No room in a bungalow is going to be big. I suspect a second bath would make your house sell a lot quicker if you ever need to sell.

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:15 am

It's not clear to me what sort of bathroom you're considering, a full or a 3/4 with only a shower. Beware adding a tub to an upstairs space that wasn't designed to hold that sort of weight. A tub full of water is very very heavy. Is adding a dormer to accommodate a shower even possible?

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:17 am

lthenderson wrote:I generally find adding a bathroom to a house with only one is money well spent in terms of what you will get when you go to sell it. One question, have you thought of adding 3/4 bath instead of a full bath or half bath upstairs. Essentially you have just a stand up shower with no tub but still have a sink and a porcelain throne. The advantage is you could fit that in a 5x5 space fairly comfortably. You could perhaps increase the size to something more comfortable like 5 x 6 or 5 x 7 to find the biggest bathroom without intruding into your current bedroom too much.

Your comments about ice dams also caught my eye. They are generally caused by either too much heat escaping into your attic or lack of ventilation or a combination of both. I've seen many a time where people throw up more insulation in their attic and reduce the ventilation coming in through the soffit baffles (your comment about adding insulation to the edges) and only make things worse. I've fixed many a ice dam problem by simply adding a few more ventilation ports in the soffit. Just make sure you don't decrease your ventilation when adding insulation around the edges.

From everything I can find, 5x5 is too small for a 3/4 bathroom. 6x6 seems to be the minimum to meet code. Additionally we're dealing with the slanted ceiling in that area which limits, in a bad way, where we could position a 36" stand up shower. To me a 32" summer camp shower will not be comfortable for daily use.

Thanks for the comments about the attic insulation. Our vents are fairly standard based on our neighbors...they're configured the same way so I would assume ventilation is adequate. I can say for sure that there is way too much heat escaping into the attic. Whoever had the house before us installed 2 access doors that are basically thin pieces of plywood, no insulation, and no weather stripping or anything. This is an area we plan to fix. Also, there is literally a heating vent cover just vented into the attic. We put a small piece of insulation behind it but it was a bandaid not a real fix. Below it, there is a "duct" running under the floor...basically just no insulation between 2 joists...that some idiot apparently thought would work to supply more heat into the room. I honestly don't even know how to explain how stupid it is. We closed that off at the furnace so nothing gets to it. We'll likely cut a hole in the floor and run that additional supply into the room, and totally close off that open vent into the attic, and also figure out how to get a cold air return put in. Anyhow, cutting off heat leaking into the attic is job one.

Regarding insulating around the edges where the roof comes down to meet the exterior wall...I am a bit unfamiliar with ventilation that is supposed to be there vs a non properly caulked/foamed gap or whatever. I will need to do some reading up on this.

jfn111

Postby jfn111 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:22 am

Rupert wrote:It's not clear to me what sort of bathroom you're considering, a full or a 3/4 with only a shower. Beware adding a tub to an upstairs space that wasn't designed to hold that sort of weight. A tub full of water is very very heavy. Is adding a dormer to accommodate a shower even possible?

Since I don't know exactly what his house looks like I'm going with the impression of a MN 1 1/2 story that has a high pitched roof that slopes sharply at the sides. I've seen my rehabbers put in a dormer to square out an area for a bathroom or closet.

jfn111

Postby jfn111 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:24 am

daveatca

Postby daveatca » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:31 am

Hire an architect.

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:49 am

Rupert wrote:It's not clear to me what sort of bathroom you're considering, a full or a 3/4 with only a shower. Beware adding a tub to an upstairs space that wasn't designed to hold that sort of weight.

We would consider 3/4 or 1/2 bath here. No tub.

Rupert wrote:Is adding a dormer to accommodate a shower even possible?

imoapie wrote:Dormer?

jfn111 wrote:Since I don't know exactly what his house looks like I'm going with the impression of a MN 1 1/2 story that has a high pitched roof that slopes sharply at the sides. I've seen my rehabbers put in a dormer to square out an area for a bathroom or closet.

Bingo on the shape/style of the house. We are familiar with what a dormer is and have certainly thought of this, but I'm guessing even without quoting, that it will be way out of budget. This will almost certainly not be our forever home, although we may keep it as an investment property. See below.

adamthesmythe wrote:Even at 1000 square feet, the market for 1-bath houses is very limited. It is certainly limited to families without children, at least when you get outside of low income areas.

We are definitely not in a low income area. Actually one of the more expensive areas in price per sqft in the state. Desirable area to live, and has rebounded from the housing crash (which we purchased near the bottom of) very well. Which is one main reason we're considering becoming landlords with this house down the road (see below). Although you are correct on the primary market for this style house. There are some kids in the neighborhood, but we have several childless younger couples as neighbors.

FWIW, my family grew up in a 1200 sqft ranch with 1 bathroom. Mom, Dad, and 3 boys. Perfect, no, but we made it work. Not in a low income area either. My parents were picturesque middle class.

adamthesmythe wrote:I had an older house with a very small toilet-sink-shower bath attached to the master bedroom that was very manageable. 5x5 feet could have been about the size. No room in a bungalow is going to be big. I suspect a second bath would make your house sell a lot quicker if you ever need to sell.

See my post regarding size. Everything I can find points to 6x6 being the smallest size for a 3/4 bathroom. If someone can show me differently I'd be very curious to see it!

On future plans for the house

We are seriously considering converting this house into a rental property down the road. We will more than likely have the house either fully or almost fully paid off before we ever move, which would be 7-10 years from now at a minimum if we had a child and wanted to switch school districts. (Our district is excellent for elementary, but not as good for middle/high schools.) If we can save up enough for our next down payment while we pay down this 15 yr mortgage, we could viably turn it into a nice stream of income at that time. Not set in stone, but I could see it happening. Even if the mortgage isn't fully paid off, at only $600/m it would be relatively easy to carry for several months if we were tenant-less.

KlingKlang

Postby KlingKlang » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:26 am

This sounds identical to the house that I grew up in. It had a completely unfinished second floor, my grandfather, father, and myself put in the ceiling, flooring, and paneling creating two rooms plus a 14 foot long sliding door closet, a cedar closet, a storage area above the stairs, and a crawl space storage area on each side where the roof slants down. Go ahead and ask your neighbor to see how he finished his upstairs, you may get some valuable ideas, the worst that he can do is say no.

Heating/cooling - The window A/C sounds like your best bet for cooling. I'm not sure if you need a cold air return or if you can get the same effect by just letting the cold air go down the stairs. Your heat register fix sounds fine. The drywall will give you many times the heat and air seal over paneling.

New carpet - I'm surprised that you want to hire this out, it sounds like the easiest job on the list.

Bathroom - I grew up with three people in a one bath house and boy did that produce some yelling. Having one toilet per person in a house is a huge stress saver. Biggest problem is getting all of the piping from the second floor down to the basement through the first floor. Sounds like a job for a professional. Can you position the toilet so that it's back is under the roof slant?

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 11:55 am

KlingKlang wrote:Heating/cooling - The window A/C sounds like your best bet for cooling. I'm not sure if you need a cold air return or if you can get the same effect by just letting the cold air go down the stairs. Your heat register fix sounds fine. The drywall will give you many times the heat and air seal over paneling.

The effect would be a return to suck cold air from upstairs in the winter, which yes we could do by leaving the door open and letting the cold air flow down, but would also suck warm air from up there during the summer which would help a lot with keeping the temp up there more reasonable. Our older neighbors, before they moved, mentioned they put in a return there and it was the best thing they did to help regulate the temperature up there.

KlingKlang wrote:New carpet - I'm surprised that you want to hire this out, it sounds like the easiest job on the list.

Really? I've never done it before. I suppose we could look into DIY...but I always hear the big box stores including free install or whatever so wasn't sure if we'd be able to take advantage of that or not.

KlingKlang wrote:Bathroom - I grew up with three people in a one bath house and boy did that produce some yelling. Having one toilet per person in a house is a huge stress saver. Biggest problem is getting all of the piping from the second floor down to the basement through the first floor. Sounds like a job for a professional. Can you position the toilet so that it's back is under the roof slant?

Yes, we would hire a plumber for this. Absolutely. I can handle basic plumbing, moving a sink, putting in a water heater, etc, but between supply and drains required, this is definitely a job for a pro.

The fortunate thing is one of the walls that would be used is the main wet wall for the house...contains the main stack. Below is the wet wall for the main bathroom, so taking that stuff straight up would be about as easy as it could get...in that no far runs would be required. Or so I think.

Unfortunately this wall would oppose the one with the roof slant. A very simple toilet and sink on the wall opposite the roof slant would be the ideal layout. If we could stretch the room out far enough, a shower drain and supply on the same wall would be ideal. The only problem is bringing the size of the room out far enough to fit all 3. I need to take some measurements, but it would likely make the bedroom space just too darn small.

We'll See

Postby We'll See » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:37 pm

You can fit a 3/4 bath in 5' x 5'. Do some google searching. However your shower will need to be no larger than a 36" corner unit or maybe even a 30" corner unit. It will help immensely to have the bathroom door open into the bedroom, not into the bathroom. You could also consider a pocket door.

Regarding the stairs to the upstairs, are they in the middle of the house or at on end?

KlingKlang

Postby KlingKlang » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:40 pm

guitarguy wrote:
KlingKlang wrote:New carpet - I'm surprised that you want to hire this out, it sounds like the easiest job on the list.

Really? I've never done it before. I suppose we could look into DIY...but I always hear the big box stores including free install or whatever so wasn't sure if we'd be able to take advantage of that or not.

Obviously free installation would be great, but double check the prices to make sure that you're not really paying for the freebee.

If your room is narrow enough so that you can use a roll to cover the floor in each room without a long join down the middle of the room then this is a very easy job (if I can do it anyone can), the hardest part may be getting the carpet up the stairs.

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:42 pm

We'll See wrote:You can fit a 3/4 bath in 5' x 5'. Do some google searching. However your shower will need to be no larger than a 36" corner unit or maybe even a 30" corner unit. It will help immensely to have the bathroom door open into the bedroom, not into the bathroom. You could also consider a pocket door.

Regarding the stairs to the upstairs, are they in the middle of the house or at on end?

I will do some (more) google searching...if we can fit a 3/4 bath into 5x5 and meet codes...we might be in business. However, that would require putting plumbing in more than 1 wall at a significantly increased cost...

The stairs are in the middle of the house.

We'll See

Postby We'll See » Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:52 pm

guitarguy wrote:
We'll See wrote:You can fit a 3/4 bath in 5' x 5'. Do some google searching. However your shower will need to be no larger than a 36" corner unit or maybe even a 30" corner unit. It will help immensely to have the bathroom door open into the bedroom, not into the bathroom. You could also consider a pocket door.

I will do some (more) google searching...if we can fit a 3/4 bath into 5x5 and meet codes...we might be in business. However, that would require putting plumbing in more than 1 wall at a significantly increased cost...

So are you trying to fit the bedroom, closet, and bath all on one side of the stairs? What will the other area be used for? I would recommend one side is the bedroom and the other side a good size bathroom and walk in closet. Then you have a real master suite.

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:24 pm

We'll See wrote:
guitarguy wrote:

So are you trying to fit the bedroom, closet, and bath all on one side of the stairs? What will the other area be used for? I would recommend one side is the bedroom and the other side a good size bathroom and walk in closet. Then you have a real master suite.

Maybe I didn't explain it right. The stairs are in the middle of the house, i.e. not on an exterior wall. But when you come up the stairs and around the corner, the room is a wide walkway (maybe 5.5' or so) that opens up into the main bedroom area. You can only come up the stairs and around the corner one way.

rowany

Postby rowany » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:47 pm

guitarguy wrote:So we're questioning how often this bathroom will actually get used. We're a relatively young couple (31 yrs) with no kids. Possible plan for kids down the road, but don't really see that as a deciding factor. Neither of us get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night very often so it's not like we're hauling up and down the stairs all the time to pee. So I question...how much will this bathroom get used? If it was a full bath, sure, we could shower up there daily and keep our beautifully redone main floor shower spotless. But only a half bath...how much will it really get used?

If you are considering kids while you're in the house, don't underestimate how much of a blessing a nearby toilet can be throughout pregnancy :) (coming from someone in her 3rd trimester) :wink:

Leemiller

Postby Leemiller » Tue Dec 20, 2016 2:46 pm

rowany wrote:
guitarguy wrote:So we're questioning how often this bathroom will actually get used. We're a relatively young couple (31 yrs) with no kids. Possible plan for kids down the road, but don't really see that as a deciding factor. Neither of us get up to use the bathroom in the middle of the night very often so it's not like we're hauling up and down the stairs all the time to pee. So I question...how much will this bathroom get used? If it was a full bath, sure, we could shower up there daily and keep our beautifully redone main floor shower spotless. But only a half bath...how much will it really get used?

If you are considering kids while you're in the house, don't underestimate how much of a blessing a nearby toilet can be throughout pregnancy :) (coming from someone in her 3rd trimester) :wink:

+1 at week 37.....

travellight

Postby travellight » Tue Dec 20, 2016 4:13 pm

i would strongly favor adding a bathroom up there, even if it is a half bath but preferably a 3/4. It is money well spent. I did an attic conversion adding 3 bedrooms and a full bath and creatively placed the tub/shower in a sloping roof so that it was functional.

Lynette

Postby Lynette » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:18 pm

I have a slightly bigger bungalow in Michigan. I put out a bid to "add a bathroom" 23 years ago when I bought my house. I did not know what I was doing. My neighbor added a dormer - great decision. I got lousy lights, vanity and flooring. Recently I considered selling my house so I got new lights, a medicine cabinet, new vanity and ceramic tiles. My new vanity is beautiful but this plus the faucet likely cost me $1000. Then there is the plumbing cost as the water lines are different. Ceramic tiles for the little bathroom. I had quotes from $600 to $1000. I was told it would take 3 days from the high bidder. Firstly they have to remove the vinyl tiles, then put down concrete block. Next the tiles have to be put down and this has to dry. Next the grouting has to be done. I made a HUGE mistake by not spending more money on the bathroom - or at least questioning in great detail what I was getting. So I now have new lights, vanity, faucet, medicine cabinet and ceramic tiles.

Good luck with your decision.

scooterdog

Postby scooterdog » Thu Dec 22, 2016 6:49 am

daveatca wrote:Hire an architect.

When we lived in Southern California, we were able to find an architecture student to do our drawings for a kitchen remodel, had no regrets (literally a fraction of the price after shopping around).

Regardless if you get professional advice (even from a kitchen/bath design/build firm) you may find it surprising the kinds of expertise they can bring into solving the 'how do I fit a reasonable bathroom up here' problem with limited space.

Would recommend you go for adding a bathroom, as it is a desirable feature of any house, and a top priority for renovations in general (for a good reason, along with kitchens).

mouses

Postby mouses » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:16 am

I tore out the wall to wall carpet in my house, saving myself several hundred dollars. It takes some work getting out all the fasteners, but it is not brain-intensive. For removing the fasteners I used a crowbar, a needle nosed pliers, and a hammer. You want to pick up the metal fasteners and the splintered wood tack strips with the needle nosed pliers.

I think the problem with installing wall to wall is that you have to stretch it. I am not sure how that works, but youtube might be worth looking at.

My family, parents, three kids, lived in an about 1000 sq ft ranch with 1 1/2 bathrooms. This need for a major amount of space per person in middle class houses is a recent thing.

If you do add a dormer, make it consistent with the house. I have seen photos of some really horrid "poptops."

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Thu Dec 22, 2016 5:35 pm

Thanks for the replies everyone. We have decided to go for adding the bathroom. I was kind of in the corner of the "how much will we use it" camp, while the wife was more firmly in the "we should definitely do it" camp. Well, last night when a friend was occupying our bathroom, and after a couple of cheery holiday beverages, I needed to go. She noticed and said...why don't you just run upstairs? Oh...never mind. I guess you'll just have to wait. And...checkmate.

Unfortunately we're both pretty sure we'll only be able to fit a 1/2 bath up there. No matter how we measure, or arrange the furniture, or whatever, the room just becomes too small if we chop out anything bigger than 5x6. By all accounts that's not large enough for any full or 3/4 bath that's up to code as far as space requirements for each fixture. But even if it's just a 1/2 bath...it'll probably be worth the cost to add it since we only have 1 as of now.

EDIT: We both agree a dormer is a no go. Too costly.

jfn111

Postby jfn111 » Thu Dec 22, 2016 7:04 pm

In the MLS a full bath and a half bath is counted as two baths. :D
This definitely helps with resale because most searches I set up for customers start with 2+ baths.

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:46 am

jfn111 wrote:In the MLS a full bath and a half bath is counted as two baths. :D
This definitely helps with resale because most searches I set up for customers start with 2+ baths.

Really? I have seen lots of listings listed at "1.5 baths"....

Carson

Postby Carson » Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:25 pm

Hey Guitarguy, we are in Chicago in a historic chicago-style bungalow, so probably somewhat similar. We have a 2 BR, 2 BA (2nd bath is in the basement) and for awhile were strongly considering finishing our attic. We have HCBA here, I'd imagine there is some similar organization in minneapolis ? https://www.chicagobungalow.org/

One huge thing to note, if you are looking at doing this 'above board' is that code requirements mean that a certain amount of the living space has to be 7' or higher. While this can be possible, it might limit your layout if you are staying within the existing roofline. I am all for doing the minimum amount when it comes to code/permit requirements, but something major like this which would materially affect my living SF/MLS listing, I would want to make sure goes through the due process.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

jfn111

Postby jfn111 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:00 pm

guitarguy wrote:
jfn111 wrote:In the MLS a full bath and a half bath is counted as two baths. :D

Really? I have seen lots of listings listed at "1.5 baths"....

When you set up a MLS search it's in whole numbers. The descriptions will describe 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 or full.
Bathrooms
Total: 4 3/4: 1 1/4: 0
Full: 2 1/2: 1

It didn't copy and paste very well. :shock:

guitarguy

Postby guitarguy » Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:45 pm

Carson wrote:One huge thing to note, if you are looking at doing this 'above board' is that code requirements mean that a certain amount of the living space has to be 7' or higher. While this can be possible, it might limit your layout if you are staying within the existing roofline. I am all for doing the minimum amount when it comes to code/permit requirements, but something major like this which would materially affect my living SF/MLS listing, I would want to make sure goes through the due process.

Yes I'm generally all for flying under the radar when it comes to permits too, but for changing the number of bathrooms...yes we will pull them.

Luckily our ceiling up there is finished at 86" so we have plenty of clearance. If we do put a toilet or lav along our slanted ceiling area we can go down to 6'8" in front of it...either way that part won't be a problem. It's the actual square footage we're short on. But either way, another bath will be nice even if we can't fit the shower.

A friend of a friend works for a renovation company and I'm going to have him take a look at the layout for us, more than likely to confirm what we already know...that a shower won't fit...but may as well have a pro take a look too.

Return to “Personal Consumer Issues”