Honda Pilot vs Toyota Highlander?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
queso

Re: Honda Pilot vs Toyota Highlander?

Post by queso » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:07 am

sunny_socal wrote:
queso wrote:
Jd1006 wrote:I've seen nothing but positive reviews of the xc90 online. And after 30k miles on my 2016 XC90, there's very little to complain about. I drove all the competitors, no other 3-row SUV could touch the mpg, the future-proofed infotainment system, and the comfort. you might as well save your money and get a van if you are looking at the highlander or pilot. That's what those two vehicles basically are...and they severely lack on the infotainment side.
Only took me a few seconds to find a lot of problems being reported on various Volvo forums. There have also been reports on BH, but I'm too lazy to go back and find them. I considered one too, but unfortunately I don't think the XC90 in it's current form is going to prove to be a good buy it and hold it car and I'm a 10-15 year car guy. Hopefully you leased. :P
The 'positive reviews' are from online car magazines/websites. Those must be taken with a huge grain of salt since EVERY cars gets a great review :wink: On paper the XC90 indeed is the cream of the crop in the 3-row SUV field.

The volvo forums show many current XC90 problems:
- Battery drain (go away for a few days? Return to find your car dead for no apparent reason)
- "Volvo On Call" remote access issues false alarms (car unlocked) or doesn't work (unlock my car!)
- Dash GUI is very slow to respond (takes minutes to boot up)
- GUI reboots, features don't work, settings are forgotten, seat memory isn't mapped to correct user...

I'm sure those are all being sorted out but I don't want to be the crash test dummy for Volvo - I'm waiting for the 2018 model. It's a great looking car and no one complains about the amenities and interrior so I'm sure there will be many more 'early adopters' to test it for me :)
That's kind of my thought as well. Honestly, I love the XC90. My coworker has a beautiful silver T6 Inscription that I park next to every day with my old Pilot. It's at the top of my list after seeing what Lexus did to the appearance of the GX460 (awful compared to the 470) and what Honda did to the Pilot (yep, it's an Odyssey). I just read all the electrical and technical gremlins on the forums and then think about that high strung turbo 4 banger and the fact that it's European and it gives me the willies. I'll hold tight to the Pilot for another couple years and see if they fix some of these issues and give the other automakers some time to come out with a decent competitor. If I were only keeping it for 3-5 years I'd already have one.

jersey789girl

Post by jersey789girl » Thu Jan 05, 2017 11:31 am

I love my 2015 Highlander which replaced my 2005 Honda Odyssey 160K miles. The 3rd seat however is really tiny and I rarely use it. I have ridden in Honda Pilots of similar vintage and the 3rd seat is much more roomy. As an aside, I am sorry that I did not get the bells and whistles navigation package ie smart cruise control. My husband has this on his Subaru Forrester and it makes the car much easier to drive on long trips. I also think this is a good way to future proof the vehicle especially if one keeps it for the long term.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:19 pm

jersey789girl wrote:I love my 2015 Highlander which replaced my 2005 Honda Odyssey 160K miles. The 3rd seat however is really tiny and I rarely use it. I have ridden in Honda Pilots of similar vintage and the 3rd seat is much more roomy. As an aside, I am sorry that I did not get the bells and whistles navigation package ie smart cruise control. My husband has this on his Subaru Forrester and it makes the car much easier to drive on long trips. I also think this is a good way to future proof the vehicle especially if one keeps it for the long term.
That's another reason I have held on to my Pilot so long. When they redesigned it and I decided it wasn't for me I figured I'd go Toyota since I like to stick to those 2 brands. The problem with Honda is they don't have enough trucks/SUVs. The problem with Toyota is they have too many and they are all over the place in size and price. I figured the Highlander was the "Toyota Pilot", but as you point out it was a bit too small for our needs. Then I looked at the Sequoia. Whoa. That's a serious truck. A bit bigger than what I want and also almost 20k more than the Pilot when you add some stuff to it. Rav4 too small, 4Runner too small, FJ can't see out of it, Land Cruiser too expensive. Sure wish they made something in between the Highlander and the Sequoia!

EDIT: Was reading an article today on future vehicles (17 and 18 models) and it mentioned Subaru and VW both introducing large (Highlander or Pilot sized) 3 row SUVs in the next couple years.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:45 pm

queso wrote:Sure wish they made something in between the Highlander and the Sequoia!
They do! It's called the Sienna. :wink:

William4u

Post by William4u » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:38 pm

inbox788 wrote:
queso wrote:Sure wish they made something in between the Highlander and the Sequoia!
They do! It's called the Sienna. :wink:
Just what I was thinking. The Sienna is perfectly sized, if you don't get hung up on the minivan-isnt-a-cool-suv-and-is-for-soccer-moms thing.

apados

Post by apados » Sat Jan 07, 2017 10:58 pm

dpc wrote:
I would recommend getting whatever collision avoidance tech you can get - automatic braking, etc. I think backup cameras are standard on both these days. I just missed the backup camera on the 2012 and really wish I had it.

Slightly off-topic, but you can always add in a backup camera (relatively cheaply) via something like this:
https://pearlauto.com/

There are plenty of other options too..

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:22 pm

Toyota does not buy into CarPlay or the Android equivalent, so I'd definitely get a Honda.

Jd1006

Post by Jd1006 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:32 am

The infotainment system is slow to boot up on the XC90, but I brakes squeak a little, but I have had no other issues. I get the reliability concerns, but I do think buying from a good dealer with a great service department makes a difference. I understand the demand for Toyota and Honda when they were selling a reliable car at a lower price point. That's not the case anymore. They are selling to the same market, and they aren't selling a better product.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:58 pm

Jd1006 wrote:The infotainment system is slow to boot up on the XC90, but I brakes squeak a little, but I have had no other issues.
I'm glad you're enjoying your XC90. Did you buy or lease? How long do you plan on keeping it?

Nearly bought one, but when I looked, demand was so high, dealers weren't dealing, and wait time was long. And as I heard more and more about the problems, I was left wondering if there are many common problems, or just a large silent majority and lots of squeaky wheels. And I didn't trust the long term reliability of a new overworked turbo charged super charged (and possibly electrified/hybrid) 4 cylinder. There was also the issue of the last generation transmission problem. So I looked into an extended warranty, and they were asking $3500 for it. They are making a lot of profit on the warranty, and/or concerned about repair costs themselves.
I get the reliability concerns, but I do think buying from a good dealer with a great service department makes a difference.
I assume you have a good dealer and great service department nearby. The number of Volvo dealers is sparse, making finding a good dealer hard and the number of great service departments few and far between. If the follow the Lexus model, then all dealers are supposed to be great (and many are, but some fall short), but you pay through the nose for the free c̶o̶f̶f̶e̶e̶ espresso, free wifi/business office, free shuttle/"free" loaner, and child/gamerooms.

FWIW, my local Volvo dealership is quite spartan, much like Toyota and Honda.
I understand the demand for Toyota and Honda when they were selling a reliable car at a lower price point. That's not the case anymore. They are selling to the same market, and they aren't selling a better product.
These points are debatable (and when you say better, do you mean reliability, performance or other? -- rhetorical question). So putting them aside for now, there are still advantages enjoyed by Honda and Toyota over Volvo. The perceived advantages help bring in customers and make sales, so Volvo has to work harder at advertisement and sales to attract customers to their showrooms and has to contend with a higher failure rate of sales. Another is the lower volume to help spread out the fixed costs. These factors increase their costs or reduce their profits. These aren't sustainable in the long run, and for now, Volvo is aiming for break even to increase market share, and make up the profits in the future. I'm not confident they'll be successful, and won't be looking to invest in Volvo stock (even thought they did pretty good last year, maybe because of Volvo success -- https://ca.finance.yahoo.com/q/bc?s=GEL ... z=l&q=l&c= ).

But if you're looking at the high end Pilot or Highlander, definitely consider the XC90 among the other luxury choices (Infiniti, Acura, Lexus, Mercedes, BMW, Audi). We'll see in a few years if Volvo sales compare to Audi, Infiniti, or Acura or if they remain clustered among the Land Rovers, Fiats, and Smart Cars in numbers.

bungalow10

Post by bungalow10 » Sun Jan 08, 2017 2:47 pm

Just my $.02...

I replaced a Highlander with an Odyssey in 2015. I came to hate that Highlander, and my DH hated it from day 1. It had sloppy handling (to be fair, I am comparing it to Hondas and Hondas always have nice suspension and handling), and it was just not a vehicle that I felt like was designed for maximum utility or performance. I traded it in with 148,000 miles on it and the A/C was no longer working and it had electrical issues we never could put our finger on - the battery would randomly drain. We tried alternator, new batteries, etc and just settling on making sure we could jump it. It made work trips extra exciting for me :/
An elephant for a dime is only a good deal if you need an elephant and have a dime.

momvesting

Post by momvesting » Sun Jan 08, 2017 3:57 pm

I have an '07 Pilot so I know what you are looking at with the transmission - I spent $4k replacing mine when my Pilot only had 107k miles on it. It is a known problem that Honda refuses to acknowledge or pay for, so if you go used make sure it is a new enough model to not have that problem. Also, the third row is great but getting in and out of it definitely requires climbing. Just last night I took teenagers to a dance and it was very awkward for a kid in a skirt. So if you use the 3rd row more than occasionally the Pilot may not be for you. I have a friend with a similar sized Buick SUV (sorry, don't know the model), but it has a second row that can be divided so it sort of makes an aisle like the minivans have. It is much less awkward than the Pilot.

Sandi_k

Post by Sandi_k » Sun Jan 08, 2017 6:55 pm

momvesting wrote:I have a friend with a similar sized Buick SUV (sorry, don't know the model), but it has a second row that can be divided so it sort of makes an aisle like the minivans have. It is much less awkward than the Pilot.
Probably the Buick Enclave. Third row is a bench seat, with a 60/40 split. And the second row is captain's chairs. So you can seat 4, 5, or 7 people, depending on your configuration.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Sun Dec 10, 2017 11:11 am

I'm bumping this thread as I have the same question. Replacing a 2004 Honda CR-V with 173K miles. We were looking at a new CR-V vs. a Toyota RAV4 or Subaru Outback. All of these vehicles we have uncomfortable seat problems either between my wife or I. She drove the Toyota Highlander and liked it and the seat was comfortable for her. I drove it too, it's ok but didn't really get me excited and since this will be my daily commute vehicle, I'm considering the Honda Pilot but haven't driven it yet.

Any thoughts on 2017-2018 model Pilot vs. Highlander?
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

emoore

Post by emoore » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:30 pm

Jd1006 wrote:
Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:49 am
I've seen nothing but positive reviews of the xc90 online. And after 30k miles on my 2016 XC90, there's very little to complain about. I drove all the competitors, no other 3-row SUV could touch the mpg, the future-proofed infotainment system, and the comfort. you might as well save your money and get a van if you are looking at the highlander or pilot. That's what those two vehicles basically are...and they severely lack on the infotainment side.
If I had to buy a 3 row vehicle again I think I would go with a Q7. XC90 seems good too.

informal guide

Post by informal guide » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm

In December 2016 ago we replaced an old Ford Explorer with a '17 Pilot. We chose the Pilot over the Highlander because we liked the feel of the engine/transmission better and, more importantly, we liked the third row legroom (great for three adult couples as well as just younger kids. We liked the xc90, among the lux mid-sized SUVs, but just couldn't bring ourselves to spend the extra 10k ++ for it.

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:58 pm

informal guide wrote:
Sun Dec 10, 2017 12:55 pm
In December 2016 ago we replaced an old Ford Explorer with a '17 Pilot. We chose the Pilot over the Highlander because we liked the feel of the engine/transmission better and, more importantly, we liked the third row legroom (great for three adult couples as well as just younger kids. We liked the xc90, among the lux mid-sized SUVs, but just couldn't bring ourselves to spend the extra 10k ++ for it.
And here I am waiting, for the 2018 Honda Pilot to show up!

Charlesmetz83

Post by Charlesmetz83 » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:05 pm

We picked up a 2017 Pilot Touring 2 months ago and love it. We liked the 3rd row space, 20" wheels plus the blue ray rear entertainment. We got the pilot for $1500 less than same level highlander and had a few added features mainly the rear entertainment.

Nowizard

Post by Nowizard » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Main issue I see is that you will be moving to a smaller vehicle regardless of the choice, and the Highlander is smaller than the Pilot. With need for third seat, I would not even consider a Highlander, having experience with both an Odyssey and Highlander.

Tim

rg422

Post by rg422 » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm

A bit of info worth sharing on the PIlot. My brother purchased a new 2017 Pilot Touring (45 miles on the odometer) with the 9 speed transmission. No joke, on the way home from the dealership, something went wrong with the transmission. The transmission shifted into neutral while driving on the freeway. The Pilot would not start after that. Dealer had to tow the car back for repair! The dealer 'fixed' the issue, which according to them was something to do with faulty wiring? He ended up keeping it, but if it were me I'd cancel the purchase. It turns out this particular transmission caused similar issues with other Honda models.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm

I guess this is an older thread! Last year I had posted that the XC90 is a great alternative to the Highlander/Pilot and a few weeks ago we decided to go for it, 2018 model.

My review:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=233609&hilit=volvo

No regrets, it has turned out to be an excellent vehicle :beer

Mrxyz

Post by Mrxyz » Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:41 pm

rg422 wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:42 pm
A bit of info worth sharing on the PIlot. My brother purchased a new 2017 Pilot Touring (45 miles on the odometer) with the 9 speed transmission. No joke, on the way home from the dealership, something went wrong with the transmission. The transmission shifted into neutral while driving on the freeway. The Pilot would not start after that. Dealer had to tow the car back for repair! The dealer 'fixed' the issue, which according to them was something to do with faulty wiring? He ended up keeping it, but if it were me I'd cancel the purchase. It turns out this particular transmission caused similar issues with other Honda models.
Apparently there are problems with the 9 speed transmission - Touring and elite have them and you can find a lot of complains if you google it. However, there are also quite a few with no problems at all. It is tough to figure out how common is this issue.
The 6 speed on EX L and below have no such issues and have better reviews. The 9 speed tends to downshift too much / frequently when you slow down.

Finridge

Post by Finridge » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am

A question for people who have tried both: Other then cosmetics (the whole "hey, it doesn't look like a minivan" factor), what are the advantages of the Highlander over the Sienna, or the Pilot over the Odyssey? In each case, the minivan appears to have more room, better gas mileage, and have a lower price then its "SUV" equivalent.

saveinvestbecomefree

Post by saveinvestbecomefree » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:21 am

For those who can wait a bit (late 2018 or later), Subaru is coming out with a new 3-row seat model called the Ascent in mid-2018. I'm interested in this depending on the details. AWD, nice size so the third row should be an actual third row, higher ground clearance like the Outback, and it might have pretty good fuel economy (the reason I would never consider a Sequoia) and a rumored price in the Pilot/Highlander range. You can find some info online as they just promoted this at the LA auto show though details like MPG and price are not out yet. Might be a great option in this category.

queso

Post by queso » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 am

saveinvestbecomefree wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:21 am
For those who can wait a bit (late 2018 or later), Subaru is coming out with a new 3-row seat model called the Ascent in mid-2018. I'm interested in this depending on the details. AWD, nice size so the third row should be an actual third row, higher ground clearance like the Outback, and it might have pretty good fuel economy (the reason I would never consider a Sequoia) and a rumored price in the Pilot/Highlander range. You can find some info online as they just promoted this at the LA auto show though details like MPG and price are not out yet. Might be a great option in this category.
That's what I'm waiting for. If it doesn't pan out or has some feature I can't live with I'll probably go back to looking at the XC90 again.

radiowave

Post by radiowave » Thu Dec 14, 2017 8:32 am

Finridge wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:13 am
A question for people who have tried both: Other then cosmetics (the whole "hey, it doesn't look like a minivan" factor), what are the advantages of the Highlander over the Sienna, or the Pilot over the Odyssey? In each case, the minivan appears to have more room, better gas mileage, and have a lower price then its "SUV" equivalent.
As a practical matter, the only advantages of Highlander/Pilot as a family carrying vehicle is AWD and a little better ground clearance. Just looked out the window this morning, a couple inches of snow on the ground. I would much rather be driving a Pilot than Odyssey this morning.

FYI, since I resurrected this thread, drove both the Pilot and Highlander. I found the Pilot to be a bit wider and the engine seemed a bit more responsive then the Highlander. Personally I think the grill on the Toyota is ugly but my wife likes the seats better in the Highlander compared to the Pilot. I like the Pilot over the Highlander. We still have quite a bit of 2017 Pilots available in the area so will likely get a better deal. Toyota sold out all of their 2017 models around Thanksgiving.
Bogleheads Wiki: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Main_Page

rg422

Post by rg422 » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:00 pm

Finridge wrote:
No doubt the Odyssey has the advantages you listed; it's an amazing vehicle. Only disadvantage is the ground clearance, AWD (if present on the Pilot) and 'image'.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:19 pm

rg422 wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:00 pm
Finridge wrote:
No doubt the Odyssey has the advantages you listed; it's an amazing vehicle. Only disadvantage is the ground clearance, AWD (if present on the Pilot) and 'image'.
Towing capacity is also a major difference between the minivans vs. the midsize SUVs. If you want to tow a boat or a camping trailer, you want the SUV.

3feetpete

Post by 3feetpete » Thu Dec 14, 2017 5:37 pm

I have a 2007 Pilot with 200k miles on it that is still going strong and other than the brakes, timing belt and other maintenance items the only thing I have replaced was the alternator and a heater fan both around 180K miles I have driven Highlanders and they seem fine but a little smaller than my Pilot

malbecman

Post by malbecman » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:08 pm

cheesepep wrote:
Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:04 pm
Just make sure it comes with Carplay/Android auto. It's a deal breaker for me.
Toyota went their own route with the whole infotainment system.. AFAIK, they still do not offer either CarPlay or Android Auto, even on 2018s.

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:17 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Mon Dec 11, 2017 3:54 pm
I guess this is an older thread! Last year I had posted that the XC90 is a great alternative to the Highlander/Pilot and a few weeks ago we decided to go for it, 2018 model.

My review:

I drove an XC60 for a week, and loved it.
But.... What is really interesting is how badly they depreciate (and how much repairs they require). You can pick up a 3 y.o XC60 with 30k-ish miles for half the price. HALF. THE PRICE. Let that sink in.

Try getting this discount on a Highlander or a Pilot!!! No chance.

There is also a great resource to use to compare the vehicles - Edmunds True Cost to Own (https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html)

somewhatentertained

Post by somewhatentertained » Thu Dec 14, 2017 10:57 pm

queso wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:33 am
saveinvestbecomefree wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:21 am
That's what I'm waiting for. If it doesn't pan out or has some feature I can't live with I'll probably go back to looking at the XC90 again.
+2. Currently driving 2011 Ford Flex. However, I will likely wait for a couple more model years before buying, in case there are kinks to work out but but also because my current ride isn't old enough. If the Ford conks out early, Honda Pilot is my backup choice bc Android interface.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am

Rashen wrote:
Thu Dec 14, 2017 7:17 pm
sunny_socal wrote:

My review:

But.... What is really interesting is how badly they depreciate (and how much repairs they require). You can pick up a 3 y.o XC60 with 30k-ish miles for half the price. HALF. THE PRICE. Let that sink in.

There is also a great resource to use to compare the vehicles - Edmunds True Cost to Own (https://www.edmunds.com/tco.html)
My 2007 Pilot is now worth only $5k. You can get any vehicle for a 'discount' if you wait long enough :wink:

queso

Post by queso » Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:50 am

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 9:46 am
Rashen wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:

My review:

My 2007 Pilot is now worth only $5k. You can get any vehicle for a 'discount' if you wait long enough :wink:
One of those curves is a lot steeper than the other though. You've probably already "lost" $10k on your XC90. At least.. :happy

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 pm

queso wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 10:50 am
sunny_socal wrote:
Rashen wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:

My review:

One of those curves is a lot steeper than the other though. You've probably already "lost" $10k on your XC90. At least.. :happy
Well I lost $5k for sure - the taxes and title! :mrgreen: The rest of it really isn't a loss because I'm not going to sell the vehicle. But when comparing a $45k Highlander vs $55k Volvo I will pay $1000/year more for my vehicle over 10 years.

All cars eventually depreciate to the same point: zero. When you start out higher on the curve you naturally take a bigger hit early on. Later they all tend to converge. My Volvo cost about $10k more than a Toyota/Honda, but it also cost $10k less than an Audi, $20k less than a BMW, and $50k less than a MB/RR. And the Toyota/Honda costs $10k more than a Kia. Pick where you want to be on the curve and live with the choice. We still have two Hondas and a Toyota in the family and they are solid vehicles.

Illustration only (don't nit pick the pounds or lack of vehicles in the example)

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:18 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Rashen wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:

My review:

ok, lets not compare apples with oranges.
I was asking if you can pick up a 3y.o. Pilot or Highlander for half the price each day every day.

Rashen

Post by Rashen » Thu Dec 21, 2017 7:25 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:11 pm

Well I lost $5k for sure - the taxes and title! :mrgreen: The rest of it really isn't a loss because I'm not going to sell the vehicle. But when comparing a $45k Highlander vs $55k Volvo I will pay $1000/year more for my vehicle over 10 years.

All cars eventually depreciate to the same point: zero. When you start out higher on the curve you naturally take a bigger hit early on. Later they all tend to converge. My Volvo cost about $10k more than a Toyota/Honda, but it also cost $10k less than an Audi, $20k less than a BMW, and $50k less than a MB/RR. And the Toyota/Honda costs $10k more than a Kia. Pick where you want to be on the curve and live with the choice. We still have two Hondas and a Toyota in the family and they are solid vehicles.

Illustration only (don't nit pick the pounds or lack of vehicles in the example)
You're right, all cars will eventually depreciate to zero (although some will get there sooner than others).

Edmunds research clearly shows that VOLVO depreciates faster because it requires more repairs.
So again, both PILOT and XC90 will be worth $0 at the end of their life. It's how much EXTRA you will spend on XC90 to keep it on the road until the day X happens.
Less anticipated repairs - higher current value. More anticipated repairs - less current value.

IndexERDoc

Post by IndexERDoc » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 am

Strayshot wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 am
Check out the Kia Sorento for a slightly smaller SUV but still with a 3rd row seat. When I was shopping we looked at all three of these cars and more (highlander, pilot, sorento, Santa Fe, Forester, outback, q5, RAV4, etc) and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I liked the sorento for being slightly cheaper for same options and coming with a longer warranty. We ultimately ended up with a Forester but having a 3rd row was not a requirement for us. The suspension and steering just "felt" better on the sorento than either the pilot or the highlander but that may not be important to you. They are all very nice cars!
I drive a 2008 Highlander which I love and will keep driving as long as she'll run. I have 115,000 miles on it and just took a 1000+ mile trip with it with zero problems. Having rented a Kia Sorrento, I have to say that it handles way more sluggishly than the Highlander. It really felt heavy and unstable to drive, especially in the turns. I can't comment on the other vehicles, but I would definitely support getting a Highlander. I will probably get another one to replace my current one should it develop problems. However, the only negative on the newer models is the "blister" headlights and taillights that stick out. They need to streamline those!

NJdad6

Post by NJdad6 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:29 am

IndexERDoc wrote:
Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:18 am
Strayshot wrote:
Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:41 am
Check out the Kia Sorento for a slightly smaller SUV but still with a 3rd row seat. When I was shopping we looked at all three of these cars and more (highlander, pilot, sorento, Santa Fe, Forester, outback, q5, RAV4, etc) and you really can't go wrong with any of them. I liked the sorento for being slightly cheaper for same options and coming with a longer warranty. We ultimately ended up with a Forester but having a 3rd row was not a requirement for us. The suspension and steering just "felt" better on the sorento than either the pilot or the highlander but that may not be important to you. They are all very nice cars!
I drive a 2008 Highlander which I love and will keep driving as long as she'll run. I have 115,000 miles on it and just took a 1000+ mile trip with it with zero problems. Having rented a Kia Sorrento, I have to say that it handles way more sluggishly than the Highlander. It really felt heavy and unstable to drive, especially in the turns. I can't comment on the other vehicles, but I would definitely support getting a Highlander. I will probably get another one to replace my current one should it develop problems. However, the only negative on the newer models is the "blister" headlights and taillights that stick out. They need to streamline those!
That rental Kia might have been a 4cyl turbo. A 6cyl model with 290 horsepower (vs 185) and in the sport mode would not be sluggish at all. You may still not like it but it would be a more accurate comparison.

I actually really like the styling of the current Highlander. Also really like the Kia. I know styling is subjective but in my opinion the new Pilot is by far one of the least attractive vehicles in any segment and I have owned 6 Hondas (currently have 2 including a 2011 Pilot).

Trev H

Post by Trev H » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:11 pm

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado (my only NEW vehicle purchase)... and it has been paid for since 1999 (that was the last vehicle loan for us). It still runs great and takes me fishing and hunting and hauls stuff... It is all I really need. I put around 5000 miles yearly on it.

Several years ago... I think around 2012.. I bought my Wife a 2007 Toyota Highlander, used, with 66 K miles on it. We paid around 12K cash for it then.
It is burgundy, and has a straight 4 cyl engine.. gets 32 mpg highway, 22 city... and has been ROCK SOLID dependable. We have done nothing to it except put gas in it, and have it serviced, oil changes, etc... normal stuff. Did replace the battery this year.

It drives great, very comfortable, looks good, easy on you at the gas station... We love it.

Highly Recommend em.

Trev H