Hard Endeavor/Exercise in Middle Age

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
fishmonger

Hard Endeavor/Exercise in Middle Age

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:13 pm

Still hard for me to say that I'm about to be middle age, but I turn 35 in January so here we are. I'm wondering if anyone here has taken up a "tough" hobby/form of exercise in their "later years?"

So I'm in decent shape, better than most my age. I strength train 3x a week, and am still fairly athletic. But I want something more than just going to the Y for an hour. I played football in HS, and although undersized, loved the physicality, along with the mental toughness and discipline that came along with it. I miss it, as well as the cameraderie. I played men's baseball, as well as softball for a few years but it's not the same.

Has anyone here taken on a hobby that has really resonated with them in this way? I'm realistic that I am not young anymore, but I'm not ready to just hit up spin class the rest of my life either. I've considered a men's rugby league, and am not really interested in long distance running. I realize training to become a Navy SEAL is not going to happen, but just curious what you all might be into

Thanks!

livesoft

Re: Hard Endeavor/Exercise in Middle Age

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:15 pm

35 years old is middle aged? That reminds me of a teacher I had back in 8th grade. Us 13-year olds said 35 must be middle-age because people back then lived to 70 and 35 was in the middle. She was 35 and terribly upset by that.

I think you have a few more years to get to middle age. :)

I know plenty of true middle-age folks who do triathlons and bike racing in their age classes. I took up running in my 50's, but not competitively and not for long distances.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Rupert

Post by Rupert » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:25 pm

35 is not middle age. 50 is middle age. You're still young. As for hobbies at your age (or any age), I recommend league tennis.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:27 pm

Ok, I'll concede it's maybe not middle aged by the classic definition. But from an exercise/physical stamina perspective, it's obvious that my best years are behind me. Not complaining, just stating a fact

Mike Scott

Post by Mike Scott » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:29 pm

When I mention aches and pains etc to my 92 year old father, he just laughs at me and says to wait a few more years.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:33 pm

fishmonger wrote:Ok, I'll concede it's maybe not middle aged by the classic definition. But from an exercise/physical stamina perspective, it's obvious that my best years are behind me. Not complaining, just stating a fact
Middle aged is not defined as your best years being behind you. By that definition, a gymnast is middle aged when they reach 25, and a tennis player is middle aged when they reach 30.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:37 pm

Ok, the point of the post was not to argue over the definition of middle age, when it is, what it is, etc.

Again, looking for exercise/activities anyone has gotten into and enjoyed. The type of things that someone in decent shape in their mid 30s can do or strive to do

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:49 pm

Don't poo-poo long distance running. It can be very rewarding, and if you don't start until your mid 30's, you can easily improve into your mid 40's. I started running at 34 to lose weight. It was slow and painful. I ran a 5:17 at the 2004 NYC Marathon. Then a 4:04 at the 2005 Chicago Marathon. And a 3:15 at the 2006 Marshall University Marathon to qualify for Boston. I ran PRs at Boston in 2007 (3:12) and 2008 (3:03). Eventually I ran a PR of 2:51:03 at the Athens (Ohio) Marathon in 2011 at age 41. At 42, I won the Salmon (Idaho) Marathon with a 2:55 and ran another marathon in Bozeman (Montana) the next day (3:27). I ran a 2:56 at Richmond in November 2014 after losing my left kidney to cancer 8 months earlier.

Along the way, I've made incredible friends, engaged in lots of crazy running stunts, and traveled all over the country to run marathons. I hated running before I started, but sticking with it was the best thing I've ever done.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I think this will turn out to be a great thread.

First, there are really only so many sports available. Just go into a sporting goods store and see what kind of equipment and shoes they sell. If they don't have it, then it is unlikely that you will be doing it.

Second, if you want it to be hard, then you will have to probably scale back on that.

Third, you have to decide if individual or team sports are your thing. Individual sports where you compete mostly against yourself in terms of personal records will not require getting others organized around you, but team sports such as church league basketball can be alot of fun and hard … especially when you play younger teams.

Fourth, I like convenience and no gym time, so I am not going to the lake to do rowing. I can cycle or run direct from my back door without having to go anywhere first. I can do some weight-training at home. My spouse likes the comraderie of the Y or rowing club and would never do exercise at home.

Fifth, you hint that you will not do significant running, but that is probably something associated with conditioning for all sports.
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:53 pm

I'm 37, so 35 is definitely not middle aged :wink:

It sounds like you are more interested in a team sport, or at least something in which you interact with others. I have a colleague who got into triathlons in his 40s, eventually doing several Iron Mans and qualifying for the championships in Kona this year in his late 50s. It's basically his life passion, and much of his social circle also does triathlons. Of course, training involves a lot of solo exercise time, but you could find a partner or two on your same level to train with.

I also have a friend who got really into "platform tennis", but it seems tough on the knees, and he has suffered several injuries over the years.

Personally, I love love love running, but I am an introvert and love the solitude and meditative aspects of it.
Last edited by coalcracker on Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:56 pm

jhfenton wrote:Don't poo-poo long distance running. It can be very rewarding, and if you don't start until your mid 30's, you can easily improve into your mid 40's. I started running at 34 to lose weight. It was slow and painful. I ran a 5:17 at the 2004 NYC Marathon. Then a 4:04 at the 2005 Chicago Marathon. And a 3:15 at the 2006 Marshall University Marathon to qualify for Boston. I ran PRs at Boston in 2007 (3:12) and 2008 (3:03). Eventually I ran a PR of 2:51:03 at the Athens (Ohio) Marathon in 2011 at age 41. At 42, I won the Salmon (Idaho) Marathon with a 2:55 and ran another marathon in Bozeman (Montana) the next day (3:27). I ran a 2:56 at Richmond in November 2014 after losing my left kidney to cancer 8 months earlier.

Along the way, I've made incredible friends, engaged in lots of crazy running stunts, and traveled all over the country to run marathons. I hated running before I started, but sticking with it was the best thing I've ever done.
+1

I also loathed running before signing up for a half marathon about 10 years ago. Once I got over the mental hurdles (in which one repeats "I hate running" throughout the length of a run), I found that I began to look forward to longer and longer runs.

Toons

Post by Toons » Mon Dec 19, 2016 3:58 pm

66 years young here.
Lift weights.
Fitbit records show for the last year and half
I average about 16,000 steps per day walking :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

caseynshan

Post by caseynshan » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:00 pm

Hockey : no.
I tried taking up hockey at about 35.. I pretty much failed.. my back couldn't take it..
There were 3 types of players on all the teams in the level 1 league I played.
Guys 18-25 hadn't played much and played super physical. Lots of rough contact,
Guys 30+ mostly played when they were kids, and were slow and out of shape, but could puck handle and skate and avoid getting hit.
It would have taken another 2 years for me to be able to move into the less rough category and I just couldn't do it.
After 2 years.. i couldn't take the 3 day recovery from every game anymore and gave up. I did hear that the league I played in was tougher than most..

Triathlon : Yes
I have done triathlon at many ages, and is easy to get into at any age.. (but the swimming comes slow as there is so much technique)
(assuming you have decent knees)

Tennis : yes
Tennis is easy to take up at later age.

Surfing : I think so.. still remains to be seen.
I have taken up surfing in the past few years, (I'm 45 now) and even though I still stink.. i'm getting better.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:07 pm

Appreciate all of the responses! Running to me is just incredibly boring. I did it as necessary for team sports but never enjoyed the long distance variety. Sprinting I enjoyed. Also, I would rather maintain the muscle mass I have and get into something more strength related. I don't want this thread to be highjacked into "this exercise is better than that exercise."

I could see myself maybe doing a 10K, but that would be the extent of it

IFRider

Post by IFRider » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:09 pm

Apparently people are into obstacle courses now, ie:

https://www.warriordash.com/location/20 ... -colorado/
https://www.mudandadventure.com/event/s ... carson-co/

I got this out of my system long ago as a young infantryman, so I can't speak from personal experience.
I've known a few people at work that do them and they seem to enjoy it.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:11 pm

Calm down grandpa! Don't stress your heart :D

Elena

Post by Elena » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:13 pm

44 yr. old me likes crossfit. Very expensive, but it is the only program I have stuck to and enjoy. It is my only luxury expense. Short, varied exercises, scalable. Learned to climb the rope in 3.5 strides, run a little, mastered double-unders after 1 yr., can do some pullups and pushups. Some things I do not do, and others I am improving.

Raymond

Post by Raymond » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:16 pm

I haven't started yet, as I need to find a club nearby, but you might consider the historical European martial arts.

A YouTube channel I follow which I think is very informative:

Schola Gladiatoria
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:17 pm

fishmonger wrote:I could see myself maybe doing a 10K, but that would be the extent of it
Well, 10K is more than I would ever do running. And for that matter, I have never run 10K in one day. But if you will run 5K a few times a week, then that's a whole different deal.

I can't say if running has caused me any loss of muscle mass. Probably not, since one can weight train and eat to maintain that muscle mass. I can do more pull-ups and chin-ups today than I could do 20 years ago.

What allows me to run are a variety of trails/routes that I can take from my house. Also my dog can run with me without problems. So if you decide to run, what can you think of that would make it interesting? Participation in a running club? Hills? Trail running?

Cycling is easier on the joints, but I find requires more commitment because equipment is more than just a good pair of shoes. I also find cycling requires better weather as I can run at colder temperatures and wetter environment than I am willing to ride my bike.

Carson

Post by Carson » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:23 pm

DH (40) has done crossfit and briefly boxing (I was not a fan). He did a lot of soccer, but there's no team close by now. He mainly does a lot of weight training and some rowing for cardio. He acknowledges he needs to up the cardio 8-)

I'm 35 and am into long-distance cycling, I am not a runner at all, I love my locale and the places I can cover on my bike. I acknowledge I should do more weight training, but I usually do that in the winter.
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:24 pm

Elena wrote:44 yr. old me likes crossfit. Very expensive, but it is the only program I have stuck to and enjoy. It is my only luxury expense. Short, varied exercises, scalable. Learned to climb the rope in 3.5 strides, run a little, mastered double-unders after 1 yr., can do some pullups and pushups. Some things I do not do, and others I am improving.
SHOCKED that it took this long for Crossfit to come up! I've done Crossfit in the past, and got a lot out of it, but left for a few reasons. Mostly the cheese factor. The box in my area (and I live in rural NH so there aren't other options within driving distance), the owner would always have us take posing pictures after workouts to post on social media. Pictures of us flexing, in group formations, etc. I'm a grown man with 2 kids, I don't have time for that crap. I also can get along with almost anyone, but found many of the people annoying that were into it. Not the hard core lifter type, but the ones that would buy $300 shoes and talk about Crossfit incessantly.

There were also days where I was not a fan of the scheduled workouts. Just my two cents

jane1

Post by jane1 » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:30 pm

Lot of people in their late 30s and 40s train and run a marathon for the first time. Triathlons are also popular at that age.
If you live near mountains, have goals to hike/climb the tough ones. Tallest peaks in all continents, all 14ers in your state.
Mountain biking, assuming you live close to such areas. I see people in their 60s and 70s at tennis courts. Even know a lady in her 80s who plays tennis regularly.

JFKtoSFO

Post by JFKtoSFO » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:32 pm

I too was looking for a challenge when I hit that age, so I took up Olympic-style weightlifting. For me, it struck the perfect balance between variety, novelty, and badassery. (And it makes me feel strong at an age when my bones are starting to creak.)

I'm one of the youngest people in the gym, and the folks in their 60's, 70's and up are some of the toughest I've ever seen. Check out Don Wildman, perfect example. It's never too late! :beer

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:39 pm

jane1 wrote:Lot of people in their late 30s and 40s train and run a marathon for the first time. Triathlons are also popular at that age.
If you live near mountains, have goals to hike/climb the tough ones. Tallest peaks in all continents, all 14ers in your state.
Mountain biking, assuming you live close to such areas. I see people in their 60s and 70s at tennis courts. Even know a lady in her 80s who plays tennis regularly.
Great idea. I love to hike and have hiked a number of the harder mountains in the Northeast (Katahdin, Washington, etc.). I also live 2 hrs from the Whites, so that is a very doable goal!

FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:40 pm

Started CrossFit at 53. Love it.
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.

kelway

Post by kelway » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:41 pm

I'm not even convinced that 42 is middle-aged... I think relax for at least 5 more years feeling young. The knees ,they have started to go...

halfnine

Post by halfnine » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:51 pm

What about the ninja warrior / spartan type training and races. A few of my athletic friends seemed to have transitioned over to those for exercise, challenge and fun as their peak performance years in other sports had passed. At 35 it could probably give you another 10 years of adventure and camaraderie among like individuals.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:56 pm

At age 50 I restarted my rock climbing after a 17 year retirement. And took up ice climbing when I found out some folks in a new department at work were ice climbers. The picture is a small section of a climb I did 3 years ago at age 56 (pulled from the internet). Find the climbers. The hardest part is above this picture. This might be little more than 10% of the climb. Climb end near 14,000 ft so air is a little thin, and the hike in and out is about 5 miles with a few thousand ft of elevation gain.

I also do a lot of hiking. A couple of months ago I did a 22 mile hike, over 8 four-thousand-footers in the White Mountains, including Mt Washington at 6,288 ft, a total of about 8,700ft of vertical gain. I did a light jog starting at mile 17 when I realized doing so I could get down in time to meet my family for dinner.

I am not the man I once was, but if you continue to train and have a bit of luck avoiding career ending injuries, you can continue to have plenty of fun.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

fishmonger

Post by fishmonger » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:58 pm

Rodc wrote:At age 50 I restarted my rock climbing after a 17 year retirement. And took up ice climbing when I found out some folks in a new department at work were ice climbers. The picture is a small section of a climb I did 3 years ago at age 56 (pulled from the internet). Find the climbers. The hardest part is above this picture. This might be little more than 10% of the climb.

I also do a lot of hiking. A couple of months ago I did a 22 mile hike, over 8 four-thousand-footers in the White Mountains, including Mt Washington at 6,288 ft, a total of about 8,700ft of vertical gain. I did a light jog starting at mile 17 when I realized doing so I could get down in time to meet my family for dinner.

I am not the man I once was, but if you continue to train and have a bit of luck avoiding career ending injuries, you can continue to have plenty of fun.
Inspiring picture/story. Awesome!

beardsworth

Post by beardsworth » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:59 pm

I agree with the others here who've commented that 35 may be past the "Spring chicken" stage, but it's hardly "middle age." More like "the blooming of maturing youthfulness."

I just happened to be reading the following, about living fit without a gym, on the Mr. Money Mustache personal finance site.

http://www.mrmoneymustache.com/2016/12/ ... -in-sight/

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:02 pm

kelway wrote:I'm not even convinced that 42 is middle-aged... I think relax for at least 5 more years feeling young. The knees ,they have started to go...
Denial is strong in this one!

One can be going strong at 42, no doubt, but at the very least one has hopefully gained a lot of wisdom relative to the average 20 something. (If you are not wiser at 42 than 22 what did you do with the last 20 years?) :)

0-30 is young to young adult
31-60 is middle age
61-90 is elderly
91-infinity is super old

But no one ever wants to admit the truth. :)
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

Afty

Post by Afty » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:11 pm

+1 running. I also hated it as a kid, but I picked it up again in my mid-20s and have been doing it pretty seriously for the last 10 years or so. There's a mental hurdle you have to get over around wanting to push hard on every run vs. holding back -- if every run sucks, you're not going to be able to sustain it.

At this point my entire social life revolves around running. I go to group runs every weekend, the friends I hang out with all run, etc. My closest friends are the people I do my long runs with; in this day and age, it's rare to spend hours with someone when you're not looking at your phones, aren't watching TV/sports/movie, and you're forced to actually talk with one another.

A bonus is that, for long distance running, you're nowhere near past your prime. Elite marathoners can compete into their early 40s, and a new runner typically improves for the first 10 years or so simply through building up mileage and doing it consistently. There are also a lot of different ways to compete as a runner. You can race 5ks up to the marathon on the road. You could do track meets, even middle distance. You could do trail running/racing. You could try ultramarathons and run 100 miles at a time. You do do relay races like Ragnars for team camaraderie.

I can't recommend running highly enough.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:16 pm

Rupert wrote:35 is not middle age. 50 is middle age. You're still young. As for hobbies at your age (or any age), I recommend league tennis.
They are both middle age. :)

One right near the beginning and one deep into middle age. 60 is really deep into middle age, bordering on normal retirement age. Normal retirement age is the beginning of what comes after middle age, which may be too hard to think about so I won't name it. :)

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:18 pm

fishmonger wrote:Ok, I'll concede it's maybe not middle aged by the classic definition. But from an exercise/physical stamina perspective, it's obvious that my best years are behind me. Not complaining, just stating a fact
I remember turning 28. I was kind of bummed. I would never climb as hard, never run as fast.

Turned out to be true.

What I did not realize is that the slope of decline can be very gentle. And after a while you are just happy to be alive and having fun. Who cares if you are not as strong and fast? If it is a nice day, out with friends, whatever, all good!

To the OP, another thing you can do is run, road or trail. I ran a 3:39 marathon at 40. I run trails up to a couple of hours even today closing in on 60. You can also go for nice bike rides, as hard or easy as you like.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:22 pm

jhfenton wrote:Don't poo-poo long distance running. It can be very rewarding, and if you don't start until your mid 30's, you can easily improve into your mid 40's. I started running at 34 to lose weight. It was slow and painful. I ran a 5:17 at the 2004 NYC Marathon. Then a 4:04 at the 2005 Chicago Marathon. And a 3:15 at the 2006 Marshall University Marathon to qualify for Boston. I ran PRs at Boston in 2007 (3:12) and 2008 (3:03). Eventually I ran a PR of 2:51:03 at the Athens (Ohio) Marathon in 2011 at age 41. At 42, I won the Salmon (Idaho) Marathon with a 2:55 and ran another marathon in Bozeman (Montana) the next day (3:27). I ran a 2:56 at Richmond in November 2014 after losing my left kidney to cancer 8 months earlier.

+1

Great!

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:27 pm

fishmonger wrote:
Elena wrote:44 yr. old me likes crossfit. Very expensive, but it is the only program I have stuck to and enjoy. It is my only luxury expense. Short, varied exercises, scalable. Learned to climb the rope in 3.5 strides, run a little, mastered double-unders after 1 yr., can do some pullups and pushups. Some things I do not do, and others I am improving.
SHOCKED that it took this long for Crossfit to come up! I've done Crossfit in the past, and got a lot out of it, but left for a few reasons. Mostly the cheese factor. The box in my area (and I live in rural NH so there aren't other options within driving distance), the owner would always have us take posing pictures after workouts to post on social media. Pictures of us flexing, in group formations, etc. I'm a grown man with 2 kids, I don't have time for that crap. I also can get along with almost anyone, but found many of the people annoying that were into it. Not the hard core lifter type, but the ones that would buy $300 shoes and talk about Crossfit incessantly.

There were also days where I was not a fan of the scheduled workouts. Just my two cents

Dude, hiking, biking, and climbing!

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:30 pm

… and competitive cow milking.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:37 pm

Rodc - I took up climbing at 30 - well done at your age! I've encountered many climbers in their 50s that I would aspire to ever match their ability.

For the OP - if you're an outdoor enthusiast, the climbing community is great. Welcoming and helpful. My best friends are climbers and we make the best memories; on routes and around campfires. Depending on your chosen path, climbing can be quite mentally stimulating/challenging. Facing a potential for a large/dangerous fall even when on "easy" ground, will test you. The rewards are wonderful and I've been to places I would have never seen thanks to it.

Route: On The Lamb, Lamb Dome, Tuolumne Meadows

DW following; Dike Route, Pywiack Dome, Tuolumne Meadows
Last edited by surfstar on Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JDaniels

Post by JDaniels » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:44 pm

Have you thought of crew/rowing? Great resistance exercise for lower body and back, great cardio and you can be in a shell with 8 other people for great comradary. There are many rowing clubs springing up all over. Googling rowing club and your area should bring some results. Good luck!
"The poor long for riches. The rich long for heaven. But the wise desire tranquility."

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:47 pm

I'm exactly OP's age. Former college football player, and also competed in powerlifting and then triathlons at a pretty high level later in life. Also, fitness in general is a huge part of my life; it's what I spent 11yrs studying and it is the focus of my career. At this point, I stay in pretty amazing shape (odd part of my job, but I get filmed working out pretty often and have to do semi-regular photoshoots), but the competitive edge is gone. Literally zero interest outside of training for my health. I have kids and a pretty demanding career, a few more trophies provide nothing for me. For most of my life I devoted ~20hrs/weel to training for very specific athletic endeavors - that part of my life is done. It's a weird dichotomy as my wife never played any sports growing up and now is super competitive at 30; she wants to do EVERYTHING and want me to do it with her, but I have already "been there, done that, and have the medal to prove it."

I have several friends who have gotten really into climbing the last few years; like REALLY into climbing. It kind of has taken over their lives. The wife and I will occasionally hit up the indoor gym with them.

EverHopeful

Post by EverHopeful » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:52 pm

I know caseynshan said "No" to hockey, but my 56yo dh plays and likes the comraderie, the sprints and toughness factor, but he plays in a no check league. Wide variety of backgrounds with the players, doctors to carpet cleaners and they play super early 6:00am.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:12 pm

Rupert wrote:35 is not middle age. 50 is middle age. You're still young. As for hobbies at your age (or any age), I recommend league tennis.
People on average are living to 100 now?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

leonard

Post by leonard » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:16 pm

OP - I'd first identify something you are interested enough to take on as a significant challenge. I think mental interest is key to the commitment to really take on a tough endeavor.

However one thing I'd recommend - picks something that has a lower risk of injury. Not as big a concern at 35 - but at 45 - it becomes more critical to avoid injuries that require significant time off to heal. Avoiding injuries starts to become a more significant issue to making progress and keeping at the new endeavor.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:22 pm

Rodc wrote:At age 50 I restarted my rock climbing after a 17 year retirement. And took up ice climbing when I found out some folks in a new department at work were ice climbers. The picture is a small section of a climb I did 3 years ago at age 56 (pulled from the internet). Find the climbers. The hardest part is above this picture. This might be little more than 10% of the climb. Climb end near 14,000 ft so air is a little thin, and the hike in and out is about 5 miles with a few thousand ft of elevation gain.

You are a bad man. Very inspiring and I love your contributions in the health and fitness threads.

FreeAtLast

Post by FreeAtLast » Mon Dec 19, 2016 6:59 pm

At one stage of my life (graduate school) - before I finally decided on running as my "go-to" exercise - I did something different every day. For example:

Sunday - 3 mile run
Monday - skip rope
Tuesday - box a heavy bag
Wednesday - basketball
Thursday - repeat flat sprints or repeat hill climbs
Friday - weight room for a variety of exercises: pull-ups, push-ups, curls, knee lifts, etc.
Saturday - long, fast walk

You will never get bored and you have plenty of flexibility to switch around your scheduled exercises. At age 61, I sometimes think of returning to this workout schedule, but I still love running too much to change right now. Also, as you know, you can lift weights every day as long as you are not working the same muscle groups on consecutive days. Go for it!
Illegitimi non carborundum.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:10 pm

stoptothink wrote:
You are a bad man. Very inspiring and I love your contributions in the health and fitness threads.
Thanks. I am not nearly in your class or some of the others. But I pretend. :)

travellight

Post by travellight » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:23 pm

I will just share my personal story... some where in my late twenties or early thirties, I thought the age of 33 would be a peak age for me. I thought it would be the intersection of my physical peak with wisdom and wealth/net worth. Essentially, I was speculating that wisdom and wealth would continue to rise but physical decline would start then. As it turned out in retrospect, my physical peak was at 41.

I think you can refer to middle age as the half way point in the average life span but I think it is also commonly thought of as the age when one is no longer in youthful bloom but may still be in one's prime and is a transition process of aging to old age. I think the average physical condition can change with time... Christie Brinkley at 60 is unlikely to have existed in 1920. Or look at many 50+ year olds such as Julia Louis Dreyfus and Sandra Bullock. I think it is unlikely that a 50 yo woman in 1940 would have looked like that. There is technical middle age (okay 30-61) but then there is functional middle age which I think is approaching 45-65 or even 70 for those who take proactive measures.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:48 pm

travellight wrote:I will just share my personal story... some where in my late twenties or early thirties, I thought the age of 33 would be a peak age for me. I thought it would be the intersection of my physical peak with wisdom and wealth/net worth. Essentially, I was speculating that wisdom and wealth would continue to rise but physical decline would start then. As it turned out in retrospect, my physical peak was at 41.
Just keeping at, your body is pretty amazing. At 22 I placed first in the AAU Western States powerlifting competition in the deadlift, with a raw pull of 565 in the junior 205lbs. class. I was training solely for powerlifting at the time, zero cardio, and getting down to 205 was not easy (I walked around ~220). I don't train seriously for anything now, do plenty of cardio, have had a host of injuries, and I walk around a good 15-20lbs lighter than I did then, yet I recently pulled 525 (raw, without even a belt) very easily in training on a whim. I'm pretty sure that if I trained seriously for 6-months, I could probably beat my powerlifting PRs that are over a decade old, and at a lighter weight. You can maintain a pretty high level of performance as you age if you are just consistent.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Dec 19, 2016 7:54 pm

caseynshan wrote:(but the swimming comes slow as there is so much technique)
There is not a lot of technique to swimming. You just learn what you need for each type of stroke and then you do it.

I find the idea of 35 being middle-aged hilarious.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Mon Dec 19, 2016 8:05 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Middle_age
According to the Oxford English Dictionary middle age is between 45–65:[2] "The period between early adulthood and old age, usually considered as the years from about 45 to 65." The US Census lists the category middle age from 45 to 65. Merriam-Webster list middle age from 45-64,[3] while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it starting a little earlier and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65. The Collins English Dictionary, list it between the ages of 40 and 60.[4] and the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders - the standard diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association - used to define middle age as 40–60, but as of DSM-IV (1994) revised the definition upwards to 45–65.
Interesting. I think of middle age as starting a little earlier but I guess I'm out of the normal range.

I don't understand the horror of thinking of one's self as middle age. Who wants to be a wet behind the ears know-nothing pup when they can be a competent adult? :)

My thinking is there is little in common between a 23 year old and a 43 year old who may have kids in middle school or even high school, 15 years into a mortgage and 20 years into a career, may in fact be world renowned in their field. And may be on a second marriage and a third career. And despite a good healthy life likely has a a few more aches and pains. :)

But I stand corrected!