Water Heater Install $1,800!

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Filetmerlot

Re: Water Heater Install $1,800!

Post by Filetmerlot » Thu Sep 20, 2018 11:25 am

This is timely. Just last week a tenant in our condo said he was not getting hot water so I went out there and decided it needed to be replaced. got 2 estimates. one for $1700 and another for $1400. The guy who gave me the $1400 estimate was able to do it right then so I had him do it. This is the first time that have had a water heater replaced (Uh oh. I just realized we have been in our house for 10 years and never replaced it). I never knew it was so much. I had priced out water heaters before I got the estimates and they were 400-700, so I guess they charge almost $1000 for an hour of work.

3dream3

Post by 3dream3 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:40 pm

We just had ours replaced a couple of weeks ago. We replaced it with the same previous model which was a Bradford White Power Vented model... cost came out to $1700 total. I got 3 different quotes and they were all +/- $100 within each other so I went with the one that was local and had the best reviews. Our tank was 10 years old which sounds about right for the lifespan for these.

Starfish

Post by Starfish » Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm

I called Home Depot and they said 1450$ without permitting cost but including the warm water heater.
So I did by myself.
Really there is no reason to take more than 1h for a professional. It took me a lot longer due to multiple trips to Home Depot (which is not so close) but even then is a really easy job. Unscrew old stuff, screw back new stuff (gas line, 2 water connections). I have a VW Golf, even bringing it home from Home Depot was a piece of cake.
I still have to old one though :annoyed I have to discard it one of these days.
I will have to change another one soon, I will also do it by myself. I am not a great DIYer but this one is really easy.

PS: I "postoped" the permitting.

Wakefield1

Post by Wakefield1 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 am

I have learned something new. I was aware that there is such a thing as a hydraulic shock absorber,sort of a pressure tank on a water line that contains some air as well as water pressurized from the line,such that changes in the pressure in the water line make water flow either into or out of the tank,such that pressure spikes in the water line are dampened. Would reduce pipe knock,water hammer etc. Might have formerly been an optional feature in a luxury home.
What I didn't know is that some city water meters now have one way valves on them,causing a situation such that when the water heater heats up and the water expands,the pressure cannot push back through the supply line,creating a destructive pressure rise in the house piping and water heater. One of the hydraulic damping tanks needs to be installed such that the extra volume created by the expansion can be accommodated with minimal pressure rise. The hydraulic tank is now called a "thermal expansion tank" and probably has its air contained in an internal bladder separating it from the water.
One of those things might extend the life of the water heater if added to the system.

Scrapr

Post by Scrapr » Fri Sep 28, 2018 1:09 am

Wakefield1 wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:46 am
I have learned something new. I was aware that there is such a thing as a hydraulic shock absorber,sort of a pressure tank on a water line that contains some air as well as water pressurized from the line,such that changes in the pressure in the water line make water flow either into or out of the tank,such that pressure spikes in the water line are dampened. Would reduce pipe knock,water hammer etc. Might have formerly been an optional feature in a luxury home.
What I didn't know is that some city water meters now have one way valves on them,causing a situation such that when the water heater heats up and the water expands,the pressure cannot push back through the supply line,creating a destructive pressure rise in the house piping and water heater. One of the hydraulic damping tanks needs to be installed such that the extra volume created by the expansion can be accommodated with minimal pressure rise. The hydraulic tank is now called a "thermal expansion tank" and probably has its air contained in an internal bladder separating it from the water.
One of those things might extend the life of the water heater if added to the system.
our expansion tank bladder failed 2 years ago. Our water heater still going strong....14 years.

craimund

Post by craimund » Fri Sep 28, 2018 3:17 am

Starfish wrote:
Thu Sep 20, 2018 3:34 pm

I still have to old one though :annoyed I have to discard it one of these days.

PS: I "postoped" the permitting.
You should be able to take the old tank to a metal recycling facility and get some cash.
"When you ain't got nothing, you got nothing to lose"-Bob Dylan 1965. "When you think that you've lost everything, you find out you can always lose a little more"-Dylan 1997

mortfree

Post by mortfree » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:17 am

75 gallon water heater
Propane
Power Vent

$2200 installed

Expansion tank +$90

Slow drip on existing one that is 12-13 years old.

sschoe2

Post by sschoe2 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am

I had one replaced in January. It was partially covered by AHS but had to pay an additional $450 because stupid Illinois code disallows any kind of flexible connectors for either the water or gas. It has to be hard black steel for gas and copper for water.

That makes the gas install more difficult as the DIY person does't have a threading and cutting tool for black gas and it is trickier to work with because you have to go to a compression fitting then take it apart as a whole unit there because all the pipes are threaded on both ends so you can't loosen one end without tightening the other. That and the tanks weigh 200 pounds so moving and lifting are hard.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:38 pm

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am
I had one replaced in January. It was partially covered by AHS but had to pay an additional $450 because stupid Illinois code disallows any kind of flexible connectors for either the water or gas. It has to be hard black steel for gas and copper for water.

That makes the gas install more difficult as the DIY person does't have a threading and cutting tool for black gas and it is trickier to work with because you have to go to a compression fitting then take it apart as a whole unit there because all the pipes are threaded on both ends so you can't loosen one end without tightening the other. That and the tanks weigh 200 pounds so moving and lifting are hard.
The rigid pipe requirement is a labor protection scheme. I think IL prohibits diy plumbing installs, like Massachusetts.

Flexible connections are essential for earthquake safety, which is why California requires them for water heaters, plus straps.

Housedoc

Post by Housedoc » Fri Oct 19, 2018 6:07 am

I installed a 50 gal gas heater and added an expansion tank for my neighbor recently. He sold the old 1 for $7 at scrap yard. Dump charges $10 so he did well. Free retiree install. About $850 total for parts from HD. 12 yr Rheem Platinum model.

Luke Duke

Post by Luke Duke » Fri Oct 19, 2018 8:42 am

sschoe2 wrote:
Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:29 am

Home Depot and probably Lowe's will thread pipe for free.