Grocery cart rolls into side of car, dent, scratched

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Dan999

Grocery cart rolls into side of car, dent, scratched

Post by Dan999 »

I went to the supermarket today, and as usual, parked my 7 year old like new car on the far end of the lot. I came out and a cart had rolled down the lot and hit the door hard enough to crease the metal and break the paint.
So I went to the manger and of course he said it was the responsibility of the unknown person who left the cart unattended and did not put it back in one of the cart racks. He denies responsibility but he took a report and will send it to their office. I do have pictures of the cart lying on it's side and the damage.

They are a regional chain that is very involved with the community and is always looking for good publicity.

I plan to plead, that they have responsibility to insure the safety of guests and their property while in their store.
I will also mention Christmas spirit and I am a senior citizen with plenty of time to pursue this issue.

Anyone have any thoughts and experience with this issue.

Thanks
Dan999
Dan999
cheese_breath

Re: Grccery cart rolls into side of car, dent, scratched

Post by cheese_breath »

I doubt you have a case if the store provides cart corrals (storage racks) in the parking lot.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Most stores have a disclaimer posted in the lot absolving them of any responsibility for damage to your vehicle. Good luck.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Retail stores would be bankrupt if they were responsible for all the damage that happens in parking lots.

I believe you did the right thing, it can't hurt to ask. Worst case scenario your boglehead car has a new battle scar.
sambb

Post by sambb »

It seems like this is a risk of driving a car to a parking lot. I would fix oneself.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

My opinion is that you are wasting your time and energy.
strafe

Post by strafe »

I'm so sorry to hear that. What a terrible thing to happen, especially right around Christmas.

I doubt that the grocery store would be much help, and it's unlikely you'll track down the scumbag that did this.

I would take the car to a reputable body shop for an estimate (call high end auto dealers in your area and ask them where they send their cars for body work). Then decide whether it's worth filing an insurance claim. Hit and run damage to a parked car is usually covered by comprehensive coverage.

Even the best body shops can't fix it perfectly. But with time you will probably stop noticing.
CaliJim

Post by CaliJim »

-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

The store has no responsibility for the damage to your car.

It could have been a lot worse. Over the years, someone backed into my car's rear bumper and caused some major damage and (s)he left without a trace. I also had a side mirror damaged because someone didn't know how to back out of a parked space. Of course dings and scratches caused by out of control shopping carts seemed to be unavoidable.

Just suck it up and have it fixed.
AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe »

Dan999 wrote:I plan to plead, that they have responsibility to insure the safety of guests and their property while in their store.
In your view, what actions should all stores with parking lots be taking in order to ensure property left in the parking lot is?
Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom »

dm200 wrote:My opinion is that you are wasting your time and energy.
+1

I try to go out of my way to park where I hope to minimize damage from carts: farther away from the store, close to a cart rack, not at the bottom of a slope, etc. But there is no fool-proof method to avoid the carelessness of others.

An ounce of prevention and all that ...
Topic Author
Dan999

Post by Dan999 »

Thanks everyone.
I will give it a good try, even though I agree it is unlikely I will succeed.
Dan999
Dan999
Toons

Post by Toons »

Take Care Of It Yourself.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

HueyLD wrote:.......It could have been a lot worse. Over the years, someone backed into my car's rear bumper and caused some major damage and (s)he left without a trace. I also had a side mirror damaged because someone didn't know how to back out of a parked space. Of course dings and scratches caused by out of control shopping carts seemed to be unavoidable.........
It's life. My wife was backed into in her church parking lot. Hit and run. But what the heck.....afterall, the car was 6 days old. :shock:
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

There is a grocery store I stop at on the way to the family cabin that has a parking lot sloped away from the store. At the end of it is a curb followed by a really steep mountain slope down to the highway maybe another 60 or 80 vertical feel lower. There are always a dozen mangled grocery carts that have traveled the length of the parking lot, hit the curb and flipped out over the edge to their deaths.

I always park closer to the 'herd' to protect my vehicle at that store.
westie

Post by westie »

strafe wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that. What a terrible thing to happen, especially right around Christmas.

I doubt that the grocery store would be much help, and it's unlikely you'll track down the scumbag that did this.

I would take the car to a reputable body shop for an estimate (call high end auto dealers in your area and ask them where they send their cars for body work). Then decide whether it's worth filing an insurance claim. Hit and run damage to a parked car is usually covered by comprehensive coverage.

Even the best body shops can't fix it perfectly. But with time you will probably stop noticing.

you have lived a charmed life, you have much to be thankful for.
saltycaper

Post by saltycaper »

This isn't something that can be made right, since the person responsible will not be found. Transferring the burden to the store, which also is not responsible, doesn't really fix the situation. It's just one of those unfair things you have to accept. Thankfully, it's a small thing.
Quod vitae sectabor iter?
mouses

Post by mouses »

Call your insurance company and see if they cover any of the cost for this. If they don't, get an estimate from a reputable body shop and see what fixing it would cost. If you don't want to pay that much, consider using one of those little bottles of touchup paint you can buy online to match the paint color; you may not notice the dent after awhile if the color is uniform.

The store isn't going to pay. The person who left the cart is long gone, and may not even know the cart took off at some point.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

New Aldi opened up recently that has the 25cent charge for the shopping cart. You put a quarter in to get the cart, then when you put it back you retrieve your quarter. I thought it was a great idea to prevent damage to cars and blocked parking spots. I never understood why people are too lazy to put their carts away.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Yes, charging a small fee is a good idea.

A few months ago, I witnessed a scene at a Wal-Mart supercenter parking lot that was shocking to me. Keep in mind that the said Wal-Mart is in a solidly middle class neighborhood.

I just parked my car and saw a woman who could not be bothered to push the cart into the designated place. That wasn't the worst part of it. She kicked the cart as hard as she could and the cart traveled half way across that part of the parking lot.

I got back into my car and drove off. OMG!!
munemaker

Post by munemaker »

westie wrote:
strafe wrote:I'm so sorry to hear that. What a terrible thing to happen, especially right around Christmas.

you have lived a charmed life, you have much to be thankful for.
???
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Doom&Gloom wrote:
+1

I try to go out of my way to park where I hope to minimize damage from carts: farther away from the store, close to a cart rack, not at the bottom of a slope, etc. But there is no fool-proof method to avoid the carelessness of others.

What really grinds my gears is when I park way far out from the front door of the store with no one else around me and some J-A parks right next to me when there are hundreds of other spots to park. Clearly it's just to be a J-A.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Frugal Al

Post by Frugal Al »

I think this is often handled on a case by case basis, regardless of the actual legal responsibility. No one wants to lose a customer. Was there an inordinate number of carts in the parking lot? Was the grocer making a reasonable effort to clear the parking lot? Was the grocer negligent in providing a safe parking area? My wife successfully negotiated a $120 compensation for such an incident. The carts being used were made with a relatively lightweight xenoy resin material that would sail across the parking lot with the slightest wind. Although in still air they presented little risk of damage, the carts could really get moving in a wind. My wife looked at the parking lot video with the manager showing the cart impact. My wife is a good negotiator.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

I don't see how the grocery store would be responsible.

For $120 I wouldn't waste my time.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

BW1985 wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
+1

What really grinds my gears is when I park way far out from the front door of the store with no one else around me and some J-A parks right next to me when there are hundreds of other spots to park. Clearly it's just to be a J-A.
I guess it might be better to park uphill.
travellight

Post by travellight »

^ lol, great point dm200!
FireSekr

Post by FireSekr »

Good luck op.

My car was hit by 2 hit and run drivers, once while parked, another time while I was driving. After the second time I installed a dash cam in my car and my girlfriends car.

Just recently a Prius hit her car and drove away causing >$10k in damage. The footage from the dashcam absolved her of responsibility and provided the police evidence to help track down the guy.

I would recommend installing a dashcam. They are fairly cheap and some models will record while parked and motion is sensed. It's easy to install and could help identify at fault parties in situations like these

Sorry op, hope it all works out
goingup

Post by goingup »

BW1985 wrote:
Doom&Gloom wrote:
+1

That's me parking next to you in my luxury SUV. I figure that at least one of my pristine flanks will be protected. And I'll return the favor by protecting yours! For the record, I have no idea what a J-A is, but I assure you that I'm not one! :beer
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

This is why I try to park as far uphill as possible, or if that's not possible, the back or side of the store where the employees tend to park, if I am driving one of my nicer cars. And usually next to one of the more expensive cars possible.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

If you are persistent enough, I'm sure they will turn your claim into their GL insurer who will promptly tender or deny your claim. You will not receive any special attention or consideration.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Not true on the comp coverage. Comp covers acts of god including flood damage, animal strikes, tree falling over. A collision is contact between cars or other non-animal impacts. In some venues, UMPD (Uninsured Motorist Property Damage) is available and covers damage caused by an unknown vehicle that is presumed to have hit skipped due to no insurance. Oftentimes a UMPD claim is more favorable than a collision claim from a rating perspective.
orca91

Post by orca91 »

This wasn't a hit and run, or any kind of an automobile accident.

Gotta love how far Bogleheads will take these types of events. :?
toofache32

Post by toofache32 »

[quote="Dan999"]
I plan to plead, that they have responsibility to insure the safety of guests and their property while in their store.
I will also mention Christmas spirit and I am a senior citizen with plenty of time to pursue this issue.

Anyone have any thoughts and experience with this issue.{/quote]

Indeed you have too much time on your hands which results in raising the the costs at the supermarket to both you and the rest of us. When you refer to yourself as a "senior citizen", are you referring to a person who has had their entire life to save up their money for inevitable things like this?
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the only way you're going to keep your "7 year old like new car" like new is to keep it in your garage. Once it gets out and about there are a number of things that might happen to it. Shopping cart bumps, stones thrown from tires of a big truck in front of you, and bird poop are facts of life. And don't forget kids throwing eggs at halloween.
harrychan

Post by harrychan »

Wrong move. Always park next to the nicest car you will find. They will not slam their doors on your car and will be a buffer for carts.

Regarding your actual issue, I would get a good polish and buff it out.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Quit wasting the time of the grocery store. Even if you get something out of it you were not owed anything and are taking advantage of the situation. Rightly they should not give you anything.
celia

Post by celia »

This is why, whenever I park at the store and there are loose shopping carts near where I am parking, I round up the loose carts and take them inside. I save one for myself to shop with.

Haven't you ever noticed that if there are lots of carts in the parking lot, there aren't any available in the store? So not only am I the first to obtain a cart, but I minimize random dents in my car.
Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider »

Personally, when I get a new car, I go out and whack it with a hammer. Then I don't have worry when that first ding happens.

In all seriousness, when I bought my first car I used to go to great lengths to avoid getting a ding. After it happened, if found myself worrying much less. Rinse and repeat. I found that each time I worried less and less.

When I got my previous vehicle (a pickup truck), I realized I had reached a point where a pristine vehicle wasn't that important in the overall scheme of things. After I had it about a month, A large tree came down in a wicked thunderstorm. I cut it up with my chainsaw and took it to the dump. When unloading the truck I dropped a large section of the base on the top of the sidewall, making a serious dent.

I remember thinking quite calmly "Well that was stupid, but what is the point of a truck if you can't do work with it." If that had happened 25 years earlier, I probably would have had a nervous breakdown.

Don't sweat the small things in life. It's just transportation.
Loandapper

Post by Loandapper »

Very similar thing happened to a friend at Target. He alerted the manager. They reviewed the video, confirmed damage was done by a cart and the store paid for the entire cost of the repair. Large chains usually have insurance for this very sort of thing.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

harrychan wrote:Wrong move. Always park next to the nicest car you will find. They will not slam their doors on your car and will be a buffer for carts.

Regarding your actual issue, I would get a good polish and buff it out.
Well that parking advice explains what I've noticed when I park with several vacant spaces on either side, only to find someone parked immediately next to me. I always try to leave at least one space free so as to make it easier for folks to get in and out.
cherijoh

Post by cherijoh »

ssquared87 wrote:Good luck op.

My car was hit by 2 hit and run drivers, once while parked, another time while I was driving. After the second time I installed a dash cam in my car and my girlfriends car.

Just recently a Prius hit her car and drove away causing >$10k in damage. The footage from the dashcam absolved her of responsibility and provided the police evidence to help track down the guy.

I would recommend installing a dashcam. They are fairly cheap and some models will record while parked and motion is sensed. It's easy to install and could help identify at fault parties in situations like these

Sorry op, hope it all works out
:?: I agree it would help with hit and run CARS, but I'm not sure how it would help with a shopping cart. It was likely released well out of view of the dash cam. Or it may have been sitting there unsecured for a while before a gust of wind got it started moving.
jbmitt

Post by jbmitt »

Loandapper wrote:Very similar thing happened to a friend at Target. He alerted the manager. They reviewed the video, confirmed damage was done by a cart and the store paid for the entire cost of the repair. Large chains usually have insurance for this very sort of thing.
That might be the exception but not the norm. I don't know how Target handles their GL policies whether self insured or not. The basis for a claim is negligence or legal liability, which would be absent if it was damage from their carts that had been controlled by a guest. There are some companies that elect to make goodwill payments in the absence of negligence or legal liability but there is a cost to that as well. It could have also been a manager or claim handler unfamiliar with things. They should pay if one of their employees was retrieving carts and lost control or pushed one into a car.

I handled this kind of stuff for a number of retail chains and I can assure you, the clients and their brokers did not want us paying for anything that they didn't owe. Their annual premiums were high enough as it was.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

cheese_breath wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the only way you're going to keep your "7 year old like new car" like new is to keep it in your garage. Once it gets out and about there are a number of things that might happen to it. Shopping cart bumps, stones thrown from tires of a big truck in front of you, and bird poop are facts of life. And don't forget kids throwing eggs at halloween.
One of the joys of owning a 19 year old car with it's share of battle wounds is that I don't care where I park, who parks how close to me, runaway shopping carts, etc. In fact, I love that I can squeeze in tight spaces that newer cars shy away from. This comes in handy when some J-A with a newer car tries to take two parking spots to prevent their car from getting scratched. I love having a utilitarian car and not one that I have to worry about a few minor scratches or dings.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Life is short and time is valuable.

Is this really how you want to spend it? Fighting a likely futile battle over minor cosmetic damage to a 7 year old car?

A famous person said: "That to which you give your attention only grows stronger in your life". (Or maybe the famous person plagiarized it, I don't know, but it is wise advice).

I wouldn't imagine that an errant shopping cart would do too much damage to a car. My humble suggestion is either live with the dent, or fix it at your own expense, and move on.

Don't worry. Be happy.
Last edited by protagonist on Tue Dec 20, 2016 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

This thread makes me very happy to drive old beater cars that still run fine.

Grocery cart hits it? Won't even notice.

That open spot I have to squeeze in because people parked over the lines? Just adds another character mark.

Back to the OP, however, as many, many others have mentioned, there isn't really any recourse.

If you really wanted to try something, see if they have video cameras in the parking lot. Perhaps the offender who did this was on camera and then got into a vehicle that you could track down via the license plate?

Again though, a wild goose chase for such a small cost of repair on an older vehicle.
runner3081

Post by runner3081 »

lthenderson wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:I hate to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the only way you're going to keep your "7 year old like new car" like new is to keep it in your garage. Once it gets out and about there are a number of things that might happen to it. Shopping cart bumps, stones thrown from tires of a big truck in front of you, and bird poop are facts of life. And don't forget kids throwing eggs at halloween.
One of the joys of owning a 19 year old car with it's share of battle wounds is that I don't care where I park, who parks how close to me, runaway shopping carts, etc. In fact, I love that I can squeeze in tight spaces that newer cars shy away from. This comes in handy when some J-A with a newer car tries to take two parking spots to prevent their car from getting scratched. I love having a utilitarian car and not one that I have to worry about a few minor scratches or dings.
This... exactly!
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

goingup wrote: For the record, I have no idea what a J-A is, but I assure you that I'm not one! :beer
If your name isn't Jack you're not. :thumbsup
bottlecap

Post by bottlecap »

OP, you are wasting your time.

JT
squirm

Post by squirm »

If you're new to driving this is the cost of owning and operating a car. Dents, wrecks, and dealing with people who lie and/or run from their responsibilities is part of the privilege. It's a sad truth.
WildBill

Post by WildBill »

I rode my 30 year old coaster bike to the YMCA today, put it appropriately in the bike rack, safe and secure. When I came out I discovered a bird had pooped on my like new vintage valuable antique, causing extensive damage, mental stress, and a host of other maladies.

I am outraged, especially since the YMCA disclaims any responsibility for their resident bird on their property.

I am going to sue, as soon as I figure out who to sue. Maybe everybody. :P

Or maybe I should get a life? :mrgreen:

Happy holidays

W B
"Through chances various, through all vicissitudes, we make our way." Virgil, The Aeneid