Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
2tall4economy
Posts: 356
Joined: Thu Jan 08, 2015 7:55 am
Location: Global

Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by 2tall4economy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:25 pm

I need to buy a winter jacket after moving to upstate NY and having toddlers who want to go sledding. My winter dress trenchcoat and dress leather gloves aren't cutting it :(

I don't expect I'll wear it a ton so I can't bring myself to spend much money, but at the same time I expect it will last 4-6 years minimum, if not more.

I also would like to be able to use it for outdoor work that needs to be taken care of during cold months (again, my dress coat and dress gloves aren't cutting it :) ), so it has to be at least slightly resistant to rocks, tree branches, and other minor scrapes.

My brother, an auto mechanic, swears by Carhartt, so I bought one of theirs, along with gloves and a thinsulate beanie, but it's about twice as big in the waist as I need it to be, even though it fits fairly well everywhere else, but they don't carry a "slim" cut.

The online reviews / comparos I've read are always $600+ coats and they aren't made in tall anyway (XL or L depending).

So my selection has dwindled to LL Bean, Lands End, JC Penny, Colombia, Eddie Bauer... which nobody reviews.

Anyone have a favorite? What do you prefer?
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.

NOLA
Posts: 309
Joined: Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:23 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by NOLA » Wed Dec 14, 2016 11:43 pm

My older brother, who is 6'7" and live in Seattle, loves Eddie Bauer. And wear nothing but their jackets. Not sure they are always as warm as you need them, but like the fact that they one can order regular or tall version.

kjvmartin
Posts: 996
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2015 8:57 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by kjvmartin » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:05 am

I "bit the bullet" and bought a tall fall jacket + winter parka from LL Bean 2 years ago and couldn't be happier. I also tried Lands End and Eddie Bauer but ended up returning those ones. I do not care for down filled outwear. LL Bean sells a coat that is worn by "The Weather Channel" reporters when they're standing outside in the cold reporting. They advertise it as such. $199 in tall. I waited for a great sale, I think it was Black Friday for 20% off. The lighter jacket is very nice as well and was around $99.

I had been going to TJ Maxx every couple years, but the relatively short length of standard coats always let the cold air sneak up my torso.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 12907
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:29 am

2tall4economy wrote:I need to buy a winter jacket after moving to upstate NY and having toddlers who want to go sledding. My winter dress trenchcoat and dress leather gloves aren't cutting it :(

I don't expect I'll wear it a ton so I can't bring myself to spend much money, but at the same time I expect it will last 4-6 years minimum, if not more.

I also would like to be able to use it for outdoor work that needs to be taken care of during cold months (again, my dress coat and dress gloves aren't cutting it :) ), so it has to be at least slightly resistant to rocks, tree branches, and other minor scrapes.

My brother, an auto mechanic, swears by Carhartt, so I bought one of theirs, along with gloves and a thinsulate beanie, but it's about twice as big in the waist as I need it to be, even though it fits fairly well everywhere else, but they don't carry a "slim" cut.

The online reviews / comparos I've read are always $600+ coats and they aren't made in tall anyway (XL or L depending).

So my selection has dwindled to LL Bean, Lands End, JC Penny, Colombia, Eddie Bauer... which nobody reviews.

Anyone have a favorite? What do you prefer?


These things last way longer than 4-6 years with limited use. I have a very nice Goretex jacket I bought in 1992 that is completely functional. Carharts are great work wear (We Alaskans swear by them) but they're big, bulky, don't breathe well, can get soaked so not as good in the snow etc. I would never wear it to ski in but it would be fine for the occasional sledding day. There is a knock-off brand as well that is a little cheaper, but I don't know if you can buy it outside Alaska. These coats are exceptionally resistant to rocks, tree branches, being drug behind a jeep etc. (Don't ask how I know.) Seriously, they might be the most durable clothing out there short of a kevlar vest. Alaskans have tales of saving their leg from chainsaws because they were wearing their carharts.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

whomever
Posts: 687
Joined: Sat Apr 21, 2012 5:21 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by whomever » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:20 am

I'm a big fan of what are called 'N3B' parkas. These are the classic Air Force 'snorkel' coat:

https://www.armysurplusworld.com/product/n3b-parka-1587

I have two, one a commercial version bought from Sears in 1973 or so, and a real one from a PX in 1980 or so.

I don't know if the particular one I linked is good, bad, or indifferent.

They last forever, are warm as toast, lightweight, and are easy to move in.

(not backpacking light weight, but lighter than a Carhartt, for example.)

wassabi
Posts: 358
Joined: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:06 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by wassabi » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:27 am

I bought this LL Bean jacket and love it. I've owned a few down jackets and have a closet full of other styles, but this one beats them all. It's comfortable, very warm, and not at all bulky. The jacket is designed to drop a little in the back over the butt so it should be suitable for taller people (I'm 6'0 and have no problems).
http://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/83564?pa ... own-jacket

mouses
Posts: 2445
Joined: Sat Oct 24, 2015 12:24 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by mouses » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:55 am

For some reason I am guessing you're male. I can only speak to tall women's coats/jackets, but maybe the stores good for one are good for the other.

A few years ago I stumbled across the fact that Sears has a sale around this time of year on what they call puffer jackets. These are long enough (mid thigh or longer) to be comfortable for me. I got one for $30. It is fine still. It looks a lot like the army surplus coat mentioned above, except no fur hood lining.

I looked for another one recently, as I like to have a backup coat and my backup was a disgrace. I really wear clothes too long. It looked like it belonged to some unfortunate homeless person. They still have low cost coats, but for some reason they have gone nuts with fur or fake fur hood linings, which I won't buy. Target had a decent looking similar coat, but the cut was wrong.

So as a cheap person, I would look in those stores.

User avatar
lthenderson
Posts: 2465
Joined: Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:43 pm
Location: Iowa

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by lthenderson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:05 am

I love my Carhart jacket for outdoor work during the winter. They are rugged and last forever but they can be bulkier than other coats and like someone else mentioned, not very good wet. For less bulky wearing and something that holds up better in wetter conditions, I have a Columbia jacket with zip out fleece liner. They work extremely well but I wouldn't say they qualify on the cheap aspect. However, I have had mine for about fifteen years now and it still looks new-ish so I consider it cheap if you consider the average yearly cost for the warmth it provides.

flyingbison
Posts: 1363
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:52 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by flyingbison » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:25 am

lthenderson wrote:I love my Carhart jacket for outdoor work during the winter. They are rugged and last forever but they can be bulkier than other coats and like someone else mentioned, not very good wet. For less bulky wearing and something that holds up better in wetter conditions, I have a Columbia jacket with zip out fleece liner. They work extremely well but I wouldn't say they qualify on the cheap aspect. However, I have had mine for about fifteen years now and it still looks new-ish so I consider it cheap if you consider the average yearly cost for the warmth it provides.


+1 for a Columbia Interchange/3-in-1 jacket. Other brands of the same style work well, too, so look for any good clearance deals on Sierra Trading Post, Backcountry, REI, Campmor, Cabella's, etc. Should be able to find one for $150-200, maybe less.

bloom2708
Posts: 2925
Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:08 pm
Location: Fargo, ND

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by bloom2708 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:07 am

Costco has very reasonable winter jackets in various styles.

I paid $19.99 for a Gerry brand longer winter coat with a hood. It is very warm. This year's version is/was $29.99.

If you have a Costco nearby, it is worth a shot.
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

SleepKing
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:45 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by SleepKing » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:21 am

Here is my advise from one tall person to another. I have bought a wide array of quality and brands over the years.

-LL bean or eddie bauer tall sizes are best. If you want a quality tall size, these are your best options.
-expect it to last 5 years with heavy wear, longer with more gentle use.
-act now while they are running Christmas promotions. ED just ran 40% off last week. I'd expect similar sales to close out the holiday rush. I'd put $90-150 on sale as a good value for these higher quality coats.

Sleepy

pshonore
Posts: 5734
Joined: Sun Jun 28, 2009 2:21 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by pshonore » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:23 am

I think Carhart has gone down hill since they became "trendy". My choice would be Cabela's although if you're not near a store, that may be a problem but you can certainly order online. I have a Columbia jacket that has help up well for over 20 years. Barbour (English) almost makes great stuff but quite pricey. Orvis has quality stuff and great customer service but also pricey.

GreenGrowTheDollars
Posts: 243
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:09 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by GreenGrowTheDollars » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:25 am

My husband uses Lands' End Squall Jacket in Tall and stays nicely warm. If you sign up for emails (use a junk account you can access) you will get a 40 or 50% discount offer on one item within a week.

If it is for a tall woman, I don't have any suggestions.

User avatar
telemark
Posts: 2089
Joined: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:35 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by telemark » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:11 pm

In my experience, long underwear and the right accessories--socks, gloves, hat--will do more to keep you warm than your choice of coat. Especially for something like sledding where you may find yourself rolling around in the snow. I just bought some REI brand expedition weight wool socks and am pleased with them.

Northster
Posts: 110
Joined: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:30 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Northster » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:19 pm

I have had good luck with a Gerry I got at a local sports shop for about $150.

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Rodc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:39 pm

If you want functional and cheap, get two synthetic fill coats from some place like Target or better, a thrift shop.

Get one that fits a little snug. Not too tight, you want to be able to move and be comfortable. Then get a second one big enough to go over the first one.

Way cheaper than getting name brand and you will be very warm. And on days that are only moderately cold you just wear the inner one. That said, good heavy long underwear is perhaps even better.

For occasional sledding and playing in the snow with toddlers you do not need professional mountaineering gear. :)

As important are warm boots. While very warm I just do not like the feel of "Sorel" type boots and prefer hiking boots sized large enough for two heavy pairs of socks. Others swear by Sorel type boots.

Mittens are going to be warmer dollar for dollar than gloves.

FWIW: for a medium price solution LL Bean and Columbia can work very well, in my experience.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

nominalBob
Posts: 99
Joined: Fri Nov 28, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by nominalBob » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:59 pm

NOLA wrote:My older brother, who is 6'7" and live in Seattle, loves Eddie Bauer. And wear nothing but their jackets. Not sure they are always as warm as you need them, but like the fact that they one can order regular or tall version.

I hope he's not a flasher. :shock:

MI_bogle
Posts: 273
Joined: Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:56 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by MI_bogle » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:13 pm

If you are really cheap, start hitting up thrift stores. You'll find something that fits and is cheap. Really hit or miss though.

It sounds like you want multi-function - down jackets are great, but tend to get TOO warm if you are working in them, and are vulnerable to the shell getting punctured, ripped or torn. I'd get a medium-weight jacket and a waterproof exterior jacket. Gives you a ton of options for different weather conditions. Layering is the best.

Sierra Trading Post has a ton of affordable options, take a look around their online catalog

Jack FFR1846
Posts: 5860
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 7:05 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:32 pm

I was going to also say Goodwill and Salvation Army. You'll easily find something that will keep you warm and will be cheap.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

Rodc
Posts: 13601
Joined: Tue Jun 26, 2007 9:46 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Rodc » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:36 pm

MI_bogle wrote:
Sierra Trading Post has a ton of affordable options, take a look around their online catalog


+1

Often have good stuff cheap.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

User avatar
Pajamas
Posts: 2837
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2012 6:32 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Pajamas » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:43 pm

Rather than look for a cheap jacket, look for a good jacket on sale. You need a good jacket in upstate NY.

Patagonia, Marmot, and similar companies make good but expensive jackets that can be found for less. You can look at a store like TJ Maxx or online at places like Sierra Trading Post, 6PM, CampSaver, and Steep & Cheap. Other online stores such as Moosejaw will have sales. Even Patagonia has a clearance section on their website. LLBean sometimes has sales.

Most of the better companies like Patagonia and LLBean stand behind their clothing if there is a problem.

BW1985
Posts: 1715
Joined: Tue Mar 23, 2010 6:12 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by BW1985 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 2:46 pm

MI_bogle wrote:If you are really cheap, start hitting up thrift stores. You'll find something that fits and is cheap. Really hit or miss though.

It sounds like you want multi-function - down jackets are great, but tend to get TOO warm if you are working in them, and are vulnerable to the shell getting punctured, ripped or torn. I'd get a medium-weight jacket and a waterproof exterior jacket. Gives you a ton of options for different weather conditions. Layering is the best.

Sierra Trading Post has a ton of affordable options, take a look around their online catalog


+1 on layering. I like Patagonia & their lifetime guarantee but I'm sure there are cheaper options that work just as well.

I have this one and it's long for tall people. I paid $200
http://www.backcountry.com/patagonia-hi ... eater-mens
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

halfnine
Posts: 712
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:48 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by halfnine » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:13 pm

Rodc wrote:If you want functional and cheap, get two synthetic fill coats from some place like Target or better, a thrift shop.

Get one that fits a little snug. Not too tight, you want to be able to move and be comfortable. Then get a second one big enough to go over the first one.

Way cheaper than getting name brand and you will be very warm. And on days that are only moderately cold you just wear the inner one. That said, good heavy long underwear is perhaps even better.

For occasional sledding and playing in the snow with toddlers you do not need professional mountaineering gear. :)

As important are warm boots. While very warm I just do not like the feel of "Sorel" type boots and prefer hiking boots sized large enough for two heavy pairs of socks. Others swear by Sorel type boots.

Mittens are going to be warmer dollar for dollar than gloves.

FWIW: for a medium price solution LL Bean and Columbia can work very well, in my experience.


+1

MathWizard
Posts: 2648
Joined: Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:35 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by MathWizard » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:53 pm

I use carharts when doing things for when I need something tough (crawling around, getting dirty).
I use ski clothes for keeping warm when they won't get damaged.

reggiesimpson
Posts: 1584
Joined: Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:47 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by reggiesimpson » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:35 pm

Find the biggest Thrift Store/Hospital Thrift etc around and I suspect you will find a large selection of tall coats at very reasonable and decent condition. Get it cleaned if it gives you the heebie jeebies.

protagonist
Posts: 4949
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 12:47 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by protagonist » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:00 pm

2tall4economy wrote:I need to buy a winter jacket after moving to upstate NY and having toddlers who want to go sledding. My winter dress trenchcoat and dress leather gloves aren't cutting it :(



Thoughts from a tall, slender (brrrr) New Englander (who lived in Montreal and Alaska at various times in his life)....

Staying warm in Upstate NY is not compatible with being cheap. You may be learning that tonight. Drive your old beater for 20 years if you want, but don't skimp on winter attire and any other efforts to stay warm or you will be miserable (unless you are very seriously cold-resistant).

Thrift stores are a great idea with a caveat. If you are lucky they may work for the thrifty, but men hardly ever throw something practical away unless they are forced to do so. I love thrift stores for winter garments but they can be frustrating when there are 3 winter coats that don't fit for men, and another couple of hundred for women.

The best winter coat for upstate NY is essentially twenty pounds of down in an ugly shell. And you will pay dearly for it if you buy it new.
Last edited by protagonist on Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

investor384
Posts: 9
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2016 10:37 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by investor384 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:13 pm

White Coat Investor wrote:
Carharts are great work wear (We Alaskans swear by them) but they're big, bulky, don't breathe well, can get soaked so not as good in the snow etc. I would never wear it to ski in but it would be fine for the occasional sledding day. There is a knock-off brand as well that is a little cheaper, but I don't know if you can buy it outside Alaska. These coats are exceptionally resistant to rocks, tree branches, being drug behind a jeep etc. (Don't ask how I know.) Seriously, they might be the most durable clothing out there short of a kevlar vest. Alaskans have tales of saving their leg from chainsaws because they were wearing their carharts.


Carhartt makes some coats that are water resistant, for example their Arctic Extreme line of coats. I've had one for several years now and have never had a problem due to water. Would definatly purchase again.

+1 on the durability of Carhartt products.

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 12907
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:38 pm

You don't need a long jacket to play in the snow. You need bibs underneath it. Besides, a long jacket just gets in the way of your harness.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

User avatar
White Coat Investor
Posts: 12907
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 9:11 pm
Location: Greatest Snow On Earth

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by White Coat Investor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:40 pm

investor384 wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:
Carharts are great work wear (We Alaskans swear by them) but they're big, bulky, don't breathe well, can get soaked so not as good in the snow etc. I would never wear it to ski in but it would be fine for the occasional sledding day. There is a knock-off brand as well that is a little cheaper, but I don't know if you can buy it outside Alaska. These coats are exceptionally resistant to rocks, tree branches, being drug behind a jeep etc. (Don't ask how I know.) Seriously, they might be the most durable clothing out there short of a kevlar vest. Alaskans have tales of saving their leg from chainsaws because they were wearing their carharts.


Carhartt makes some coats that are water resistant, for example their Arctic Extreme line of coats. I've had one for several years now and have never had a problem due to water. Would definatly purchase again.

+1 on the durability of Carhartt products.


Sweet. Just what you need to roll around in the snow. Water RESISTANT. Seriously. It's lined with a quilt. That means it is fine for standing around outside and working on a car. It's not fine for anything exertional especially if just going inside isn't an option when it's soaking wet from sweat, rain, wet snow etc.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Dulocracy
Posts: 2253
Joined: Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:03 pm
Location: Atlanta, GA

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by Dulocracy » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:10 am

Buy a regular jacket and pull your pants up high.

OR, buy from Columbia's big and tall section. They are mid-range in cost, but I have a Columbia jacket from almost two decades ago that still looks new. With minimal use, you will not have to replace this thing.

http://www.columbia.com/mens-big-tall-jackets-vests/
I'm not a financial professional. Post is info only & not legal advice. No attorney-client relationship exists with reader. Scrutinize my ideas as if you spoke with a guy at a bar. I may be wrong.

User avatar
davidkw
Posts: 705
Joined: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Sterling, VA

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by davidkw » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:35 pm

Go to http://www.llbean.com/sale - From here you get the items being discontinued. Often LLBean just discontinues colors of jackets. I get great buys there.


Ultra warm coat

Warm jacket
David | | From Jack Brennan's "Straight Talk on Investing", page 23 "Living below your means is the ultimate financial strategy"

borderman
Posts: 7
Joined: Sun Jun 29, 2014 4:05 pm

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by borderman » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:06 pm

6' 7" - 260# Duluth Trading, forgive them for the horrible advertising. Far better than KingSize which has fallen badly.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Warm winter jacket for tall folks who are cheap?

Post by leonard » Fri Dec 16, 2016 9:06 pm

borderman wrote:6' 7" - 260# Duluth Trading, forgive them for the horrible advertising. Far better than KingSize which has fallen badly.


Was just going to post Duluth.

They are having a winter sale now. 30% off. Free shipping over $75.

I have purchased quite a few different things from them now and have been very satisfied.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Post Reply