Bosch - Ascenta 24" Dishwasher experience

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
dundee

Bosch - Ascenta 24" Dishwasher experience

Post by dundee »

I am in need of a new dishwasher. Based on consumer reports recommendations and my desire to stay under $500, I found Bosch Ascenta 24" dishwasher. Model number is SHE3AR76UC.

Does anybody have any experience - good or bad?

Does anybody know what would be the difference between the above and model SHE3ARF2UC which is readily available at Lowe's?

Seems like the difference is only that 76 changes to F2. What does that mean?

Thank you.
neilpilot

Re: Bosch - Ascenta 24" Dishwasher experience

Post by neilpilot »

different models, including different trim design and wash cycles. Suggest you compare models on the Bosch website.

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/products/d ... .html#tab2
and
http://www.bosch-home.com/us/SHE3ARF2UC ... earch#tab2
Koogie

Post by Koogie »

I can't answer your questions other than to say we have one installed in our house and it is quite quiet.

However, I have already had problems with it as the impeller that breaks up debris is a nylon/plastic system and not overly robust. Mind you, they are all probably like that these days. It was an easy fix.

It takes a long time per cycle but I also understand that is a "thing" with modern dishwashers, as they strive to be "efficient"
surfstar

Post by surfstar »

No idea on the good/bad (I'd just scour the web for reviews), but the difference in the model numbers, appears to designate the unit's color.
auggiedoggies

Post by auggiedoggies »

My inlaws just bought this model actually, they love it.

We needed something with a few more features, we went with the 500 series from Best Buy.

Both models are awesome. Very quiet, excellent cleaning, and the nice thing with Bosch is that you can put plastics/tupperwares on the bottom rack because there is no heating element. It's great for flexibility!
redrocker

Post by redrocker »

I installed an Ascenta about 3 years ago (SHE3AR52UC). It's been great, super quiet, no significant issues. I have had to pull the screen out a few times to clean scale and gunk but I would consider that routine care. Plus, our water is very hard here.

I admit I was skeptical as online reviews (particularly Amazon) hovered in the 3/5 star range. Reading through some of the comments, a lot of it seemed to be unrealistic expectations and operator error in terms of neglecting routine care and having the water hot enough. For me, the price was right (new in box off of Craigslist). I'd replace with the same if it comes to it.
Naikansha

Post by Naikansha »

I have the simplest kind I could find, which I bought a year ago and so far it has done quite well as long as I don't interrupt the cycle. It is quiet and I like the do-it-yourself filter you have to clean yourself. There are various ways to move the racks to place the dishes according to size which makes it quite convenient. I never use Rinse Aid.
daveatca

move up

Post by daveatca »

We bought our house 5.5 years ago.
Came with the Ascenta model.
Hated it. Cleans OK, but was way too noisy for us.
We "sold" it to our daughter to replace her condo special dishwasher.
We bought a new 500 Series for about $1000.
Much quieter. We are very happy.
We will never own another brand and will always spend the money to get a better model.
duuuuuude

Post by duuuuuude »

Do you currently own a Bosch Dishwasher?

If so, check to see if there are any recalls on your model.

Our house came with a Bosch that had a recall, which was something very minor (if I recall, it was to replace the tablet door or something). Bosch gave us the option of having someone come out and fix it, or 40% off a new dishwasher if we ordered from their website.

After running the numbers, we ended up with an 800 series for the price of 500 series and yes, it is indeed super quiet and we've had no issues.

Without checking for the recall, there would be no way we'd be in the ballpark for the 800 series Bosch dishwasher.

Just a thought...
cygnus_18

Post by cygnus_18 »

We bought the 46-decibel Bosch Ascenta from Lowes few months back and it has worked out well for us. The dishwasher is super quiet.

Few things to consider
-A common complaint with Bosch dishwashers is the lack of heated dry option that is a default setting in most American dishwashers. European brands try to be more energy efficient. The vessels may not be completely dry after a normal cycle although the extra dry options helps a bit. The instructions recommend using Rinse-aid to help with drying. We usually run the dishwasher at night and leave the door slightly open in the morning before leaving for work. This helps with drying most things except may be some plastics
-I read some reviews about the actual capacity being smaller than other brands. This hasn't been an issue for us. You may want to look into that
-Lowes also carries 2 versions of the 46-decibel model. I think one is Lowes specific. Bosch also offered free installation after rebate through Lowes when I purchased.
stlutz

Post by stlutz »

I have had one of the more inexpensive Bosch dishwashers for about 5 years. The good: It's quiet and the dishes come out clean and unspotted. The bad: The soap dispenser door stopped opening about a year ago. So it hasn't been as trouble-free as I would expect from a model with as few bells-and-whistles as possible.
psychoslowmatic

Post by psychoslowmatic »

Thesweethome.com loves the 500 series:

http://thesweethome.com/reviews/the-best-dishwasher/