Your fava 70% dark chocolate brand?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parigi723

Your fava 70% dark chocolate brand?

Post by parigi723 » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:52 am

Hello:
Do you have a particular favorite brand of 70% dark chocolate? Thank you all for your input!
Happy holidays!!!!! .parigi. :wink:

German Expat

Re: Your fava 70% dark chocolate brand?

Post by German Expat » Wed Dec 14, 2016 5:56 am

Lindt Excellence, I also get the 85% once in a while. Have to admit though I still do like the higher sugar a bit more but try to stay away from them.

UncleBen

Post by UncleBen » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:26 am

AlohaJoe

Post by AlohaJoe » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:30 am

Last edited by AlohaJoe on Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Raybo

Post by Raybo » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:31 am

I have done many informal chocolate tastings in my home with friends. Without exception, the brand that always wins is the Lindt 70% bar mentioned above. While I have a serious chocolate hankering, bordering on addiction, the recent findings that most chocolates (including the Lindt 70% bar) contain high concentrations of both cadmium and lead have forced me to stop eating certain favorite brands and cut my consumption way down.

See http://www.asyousow.org/our-work/enviro ... m-in-food/ for all the depressing news.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:33 am

I like the Lindt 90%

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Wed Dec 14, 2016 6:46 am

Best bargain I've found is the Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's 85%. It's at least 95% as good as the very best I've had, at 1/3 to 1/4 the price. They also have a 72% that's even cheaper, but I haven't tried it. They charge 5 bucks for 1.1 POUNDS.

The Lindt Excellence is also fantastic, as previously mentioned. I prefer the 85% over the 70%, but that's probably just me.

tigermilk

Post by tigermilk » Wed Dec 14, 2016 7:34 am

lazydavid wrote:Best bargain I've found is the Trader Joe's Dark Chocolate Lover's 85%. It's at least 95% as good as the very best I've had, at 1/3 to 1/4 the price. They also have a 72% that's even cheaper, but I haven't tried it. They charge 5 bucks for 1.1 POUNDS.

The Lindt Excellence is also fantastic, as previously mentioned. I prefer the 85% over the 70%, but that's probably just me.
Trader Joe's brand seems a little lacking in taste quality to me to the point I wouldn't eat them if free. A pretty good lower priced brand is Chocolove. I also enjoy Dolfin 70%.

flashboy

Post by flashboy » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:43 am

This is by far my favorite chocolate bar. It's 80% but will just as well suit the taste of people who like 70%. I buy it at Whole Foods.

http://shop.equalexchange.coop/organic- ... anama.html

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Wed Dec 14, 2016 9:57 am

Here in San Diego we have See's, they 200 stores so look around. They have an incredible variety of house made dark chocolates, they easily compare with the best Belgian chocolates in terms of quality. Their stores are always packed during holidays, 1hr wait to fill a custom box if you procrastinate until a couple days before Christmas or Valentines Day.

http://www.sees.com/

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:01 am

flashboy wrote:This is by far my favorite chocolate bar. It's 80% but will just as well suit the taste of people who like 70%. I buy it at Whole Foods.

http://shop.equalexchange.coop/organic- ... anama.html
We like the Equal Exchange also -- the 70% one but our WF stopped carrying it.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Wed Dec 14, 2016 10:13 am

Taza Chocolate Mexican style disks... any flavor. Their Cacao Puro disks are 70% cacao. They also have an 85% super dark. These disks are actually intended for making (liquid) chocolate, but my wife and I just love to eat them straight. They have a gritty texture because they contain some crystallized sugar in them. I'm prejudiced in their favor because they're made in Somerville, Massachusetts ("bean-to-bar"). They also make regular (smooth-textured) chocolate but it isn't unique and different and I'm not enough of a connoisseur to judge if it's any better than other serious chocolate brands.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 1:27 am

Raybo wrote:I have done many informal chocolate tastings in my home with friends. Without exception, the brand that always wins is the Lindt 70% bar mentioned above. While I have a serious chocolate hankering, bordering on addiction, the recent findings that most chocolates (including the Lindt 70% bar) contain high concentrations of both cadmium and lead have forced me to stop eating certain favorite brands and cut my consumption way down.

See http://www.asyousow.org/our-work/enviro ... m-in-food/ for all the depressing news.
You should take press releases that do not list the testing methodology and actual detected levels of contaminants with a large grain of salt. There is no data to back up their claims, just a list with color-coded graphics. Most other organizations doing such testing actually list things like "5 samples purchased" and then either "Detected levels were a, b, c, d, e" or "Average detected level was x, minimum was y, maximum was z".

This article doesn't let us see how many samples per vendor were chosen (a larger number of samples purchased from a wide variety of locations gives a better picture of the average production results), nor the extent to which the limit was violated. Did it test 0.01ug over the limit or 10ug over the limit? There's a vast difference between the two.

The article headline makes for great click-bait but the article itself has horrible science. Other organizations which have published more verifiable results have also found heavy metal contamination in cocoa and chocolate, but more at the "consume in moderation" category (particularly for growing children) rather than the "never consume" category.

rayout

Post by rayout » Thu Dec 15, 2016 3:28 am

Walgreens house brand "Delish" Midnight Dark 70% is great. Higher cocoa butter usage for a creamier mouth feel and it tastes sweeter since it doesn't use as much cocoa solids which are more astringent.

spooky105

Post by spooky105 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:28 am

Always partial to Ritter Sport bars myself...believe they have a ~70% bar, though their dark chocolate with whole hazelnuts is killer (something closure to 50%).

englishgirl

Post by englishgirl » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:43 am

I buy the 85% usually, but either Lindt or the Aldi's own label Moser Roth (I think that's what it is called).
Sarah

jazman12

Post by jazman12 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 10:09 am

ghirardelli!

AnonJohn

Post by AnonJohn » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:36 am

Chocolove 70% is my favorite, followed closely by Endangered Species "Chimpanzee" (72%). I also like Lindt, Green & Black, and Scharffen Berger. The the last one is a definite step down on the price / quality metric. Much more expensive and not obviously better. Lindt, Endangered Species, and Chocolove are all better than G&B in my book.

Hear really good things about Lake Champlain chocolate but haven't yet gotten a hold of any.

I don't like Ghiardelli because they blend milk fat solids to reduce the amount of cocoa butter they use. Not really an impact on taste, but I watch the composition of my saturated fat intake and prefer cocoa butter since it's ~30% stearic acid. Roughly, 1/3 the fat in pure chocolate is "bad (from a CVD / cholesterol perspective)" 1/3 "good" and 1/3 neutral.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 5:29 pm

I love very dark chocolate and have tried Endangered Species, Scharffen Berger, Theo's, Lindt, Green & Black's, etc. But I stick with Ghirardelli squares as my daily chocolate (mainly 86%, but also some 72%).

You can get it pretty cheap via Amazon Sub&Save, and I love the taste. I also like the individually wrapped squares as I think it's the perfect portion size. It's also easy to store at work- with the fancy bars, you have to deal with putting it in a ziploc bag.

Koogie

Post by Koogie » Thu Dec 15, 2016 6:22 pm

sid hartha wrote:I like the Lindt 90%
+1

I find Ghirardelli when we buy it in the US has a sort of "sour" taste to it. I like it but DW doesn't (and it took me a long time to wean her off milk chocolate and onto dark in the first place.. lol)

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Dec 15, 2016 7:06 pm

It is not the best available, but I eat a lot of dark chocolate so I buy the pound plus bars (500 grams, 72%) at Trader Joe's for $5. This Christmas they have had large 2,000 gram or 4 lb. 6.4 oz. "Commendation" bars in both milk chocolate (31%) and darker 61% versions for $15. All are good quality Belgian chocolate and an excellent value.

I may get another milk chocolate Commendation bar if they are still in stock because I have enjoyed the milk chocolate more than I usually do.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:14 pm

Blah 70% is for wussies :D

90% is where it's at!

Tamales

Post by Tamales » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:20 pm

Mudpuppy wrote: You should take press releases that do not list the testing methodology and actual detected levels of contaminants with a large grain of salt. There is no data to back up their claims, just a list with color-coded graphics. Most other organizations doing such testing actually list things like "5 samples purchased" and then either "Detected levels were a, b, c, d, e" or "Average detected level was x, minimum was y, maximum was z".

This article doesn't let us see how many samples per vendor were chosen (a larger number of samples purchased from a wide variety of locations gives a better picture of the average production results), nor the extent to which the limit was violated. Did it test 0.01ug over the limit or 10ug over the limit? There's a vast difference between the two.

The article headline makes for great click-bait but the article itself has horrible science. Other organizations which have published more verifiable results have also found heavy metal contamination in cocoa and chocolate, but more at the "consume in moderation" category (particularly for growing children) rather than the "never consume" category.
Agree with your cautions about how it was presented. Also, a non-sensationalized article would at least include the ones they deemed "safe."

Regardless of whether the heavy metal levels are high or low, what do they think is the source of it? Seems like it would be something in the processing rather than natural to the ingredients? [edit: just looked up a couple articles and the manufacturers say it's naturally occurring while this study says it's the manufacturing: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/16203244/ ] Who knows, maybe it improves the flavor...

tschanks1

Post by tschanks1 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 8:33 pm

Equal Exchange, and you can buy it wholesale/in bulk on their site. Best. Ever!

Sweet Betsy

Post by Sweet Betsy » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:15 pm

Millcreek Cacao Roasters http://www.millcreekcacao.com/chocolate-bars/

I pick some up whenever I am in Salt Lake 'City. Worth every penny.

vinnydabody

Post by vinnydabody » Thu Dec 15, 2016 9:21 pm

nisiprius wrote:Taza Chocolate Mexican style disks... any flavor. Their Cacao Puro disks are 70% cacao. They also have an 85% super dark. These disks are actually intended for making (liquid) chocolate, but my wife and I just love to eat them straight. They have a gritty texture because they contain some crystallized sugar in them. I'm prejudiced in their favor because they're made in Somerville, Massachusetts ("bean-to-bar"). They also make regular (smooth-textured) chocolate but it isn't unique and different and I'm not enough of a connoisseur to judge if it's any better than other serious chocolate brands.
I like the Taza Chipotle, it has a nice bite from the chiles. Also Vosges (from Chicago) makes some fabulous bars with bacon, chiles, ginger, salt, etc. All very good pairings, especially with a tempranillo red wine.

grabiner
Advisory Board

Post by grabiner » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:21 pm

I have done a taste comparison a few times, and I prefer Lindt 70% over several others, including Ghirardelli and store brands. I also prefer 70% over both 60% and 85% (and similarly Ghirardelli's 72% over 60% and 86%). I do like Ghirardelli's filled darks (caramel, mint), but they have the disadvantage that you can't eat half a square, and the dark isn't the full 70%.
Wiki David Grabiner

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:37 pm

Trader Joes 72% dark is an excellent value. It's available in both 3-packs of small bars (usually by the register) or in Pound Plus bars in the main candy area of the store. The Pound Plus is the best value but I had to change to the small bars so I wouldn't succumb to the temptation to eat too much. :oops:
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Parthenon

Post by Parthenon » Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:12 am

Today I just purchase 3.52 oz bars of Falize 74% dark chocolate from a .99 cent store in Encinitas CA and I have to say I've never had better. Perhaps the rum in my lemonade contributed to the flavor, but for a buck it was definitely the best I've tasted so far and I exclusively eat dark chocolate and have for the last 20 years.

Ed
"What am I gonna do if I run out of money?"

jlawrence01

Post by jlawrence01 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:19 am

Parthenon wrote:Today I just purchase 3.52 oz bars of Falize 74% dark chocolate from a .99 cent store in Encinitas CA and I have to say I've never had better. Perhaps the rum in my lemonade contributed to the flavor, but for a buck it was definitely the best I've tasted so far and I exclusively eat dark chocolate and have for the last 20 years.

99 Only also sells a lot of Lindt chocolates and I bought the 70% cocoa about a month ago. And of course, it is $0.99, not $2.97 like in the grocery stores.

sid hartha

Post by sid hartha » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:30 am

Dutch wrote:Blah 70% is for wussies :D

90% is where it's at!
True dat!

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 am

sunny_socal wrote:Here in San Diego we have See's, they 200 stores so look around. They have an incredible variety of house made dark chocolates, they easily compare with the best Belgian chocolates in terms of quality. Their stores are always packed during holidays, 1hr wait to fill a custom box if you procrastinate until a couple days before Christmas or Valentines Day.

http://www.sees.com/
I believe See's used to be restricted to west of the Mississippi, since a friend was always stocking up when she visited family at the holidays - however this was years ago before ecommerce got big. Now our local mall in NC has a pop-up booth at least from Halloween to Valentine's Day. I'm not sure about the rest of the year.

I haven't tried their bars, but my favorite for truffles is Leonidas. I got turned on to these by a friend from Belgium.

cherijoh

Post by cherijoh » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:Trader Joes 72% dark is an excellent value. It's available in both 3-packs of small bars (usually by the register) or in Pound Plus bars in the main candy area of the store. The Pound Plus is the best value but I had to change to the small bars so I wouldn't succumb to the temptation to eat too much. :oops:
:happy

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:42 am

sid hartha wrote:

90% is where it's at!
True dat!
Toss up between 85 and 90 for me. Tried 100% once, REALLY bad idea. Had one bite and then handed it to my wife so she could make a cake. :mrgreen:

xjz

Post by xjz » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:47 am

FrugalInvestor wrote:The Pound Plus is the best value but I had to change to the small bars so I wouldn't succumb to the temptation to eat too much. :oops:
One of the best purchases I've ever made in my life for my personal health is a small digital scale for the kitchen. Makes it so easy to follow the frugal impulse, buy the giant size of things for best value, then measure out reasonable portion sizes with minimal effort. I feel like it kind of helps with the "mindful eating", since I've always had binge habits. I'm not going to give up my giant chocolate bars that easily... :D

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:01 am

Noi Sirius Icelandic 70%
Endangered Species 72% or 88%

Only two I eat.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:06 am

lazydavid wrote:
sid hartha wrote:

90% is where it's at!
True dat!
Toss up between 85 and 90 for me. Tried 100% once, REALLY bad idea. Had one bite and then handed it to my wife so she could make a cake. :mrgreen:

Bah! Mere amateurs. I only eat 110%.
Stay on target...

grog

Post by grog » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:50 am

Sweet Betsy wrote:Millcreek Cacao Roasters http://www.millcreekcacao.com/chocolate-bars/

I tried a few bars from a company called Amano based in Utah. Absolutely fantastic. Pricey though. Amano and a few other high end chocolate companies use heirloom "criollo" varieties. It's a pretty notable difference. Each bar had a distinct flavor depending on the bean, less of a roasted flavor and generally more complex and fruitier than the classic, bold flavor one thinks of as "chocolate."

erik265

Post by erik265 » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:12 pm

https://hukitchen.com They make some pretty good chocolate i wanna check out there eatery when i get a chance :)

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:30 pm

grog wrote:
Sweet Betsy wrote:Millcreek Cacao Roasters http://www.millcreekcacao.com/chocolate-bars/

I tried a few bars from a company called Amano based in Utah. Absolutely fantastic. Pricey though. Amano and a few other high end chocolate companies use heirloom "criollo" varieties. It's a pretty notable difference. Each bar had a distinct flavor depending on the bean, less of a roasted flavor and generally more complex and fruitier than the classic, bold flavor one thinks of as "chocolate."
Pretty odd, but apparently Salt Lake City is kind of becoming the Mecca for boutique chocolatiers. My sister, who recently moved to SLC to finish her culinary education and work as a pastry chef for one of these boutique bakeries, confirms that it is easier to find great chocolate here than it was in New York (where she moved from). I don't like chocolate of any variety really, but she brings my mom a few different bars to try whenever she visits for the monthly family dinners. I should ask her about some of her favorites.

kellyfj

Post by kellyfj » Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Nisi - OMG I *live* in Somerville (other side of Tufts) - are you in the area? Feel free to PM me.
nisiprius wrote:Taza Chocolate Mexican style disks... any flavor. Their Cacao Puro disks are 70% cacao. They also have an 85% super dark. These disks are actually intended for making (liquid) chocolate, but my wife and I just love to eat them straight. They have a gritty texture because they contain some crystallized sugar in them. I'm prejudiced in their favor because they're made in Somerville, Massachusetts ("bean-to-bar"). They also make regular (smooth-textured) chocolate but it isn't unique and different and I'm not enough of a connoisseur to judge if it's any better than other serious chocolate brands.