Any experience with the Sleep Number bed?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Five

Any experience with the Sleep Number bed?

Post by Five » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:56 pm

Hi all,
I know this is not an investing question but I wanted to ask the community about the Sleep Number bed(s)-----there are several types. We went to their store and looked at them today.
Very impressive beds with many useable features but very expensive. Mattresses range from memory foam to pillow top to both in the same mattress. They incline, lay flat, and/or have the legs rise.....all to help a bad spine or to sleep better. One spouse can incline their partner's bed at night if their partner is snoring so as to try to stop their snoring. Supposedly helps those with sleep apnea. There is even a massage feature in some of the models. Warranty is for 25 years. I think they are made in the USA in South Carolina. The beds were very comfortable and appeared well made. Also, 48 months payment plan with no interest and other good-sized discounts where we could save $1000 more off the price......they supposedly run this sale twice yearly and now is a great time to buy.
Any one have a Sleep Number bed or have any thoughts?
Thank you.

Sbashore

Re: Any experience with the Sleep Number bed?

Post by Sbashore » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:15 am

I had one ten years ago that I ended up getting rid of. The display on one of the controllers went bad, and the foam that gave the sides structural integrity kept shifting. All in all it was decent enough to sleep in, but I ended up moving and getting rid of it. My overall impression is that it was overpriced for the quality it provided. They may have improved over the years.
Steve | Semper Fi

Tim18

Post by Tim18 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:48 pm

I have one and can report that it is a nice sleep. Sister has one and it was her recommendation that made me spend the money. Go for it.

Chris001122

Post by Chris001122 » Sun Dec 11, 2016 12:58 pm

Too expensive for me. I sleep fine on my bed that doesn't move or have a number on a keypad.
"It's always been a mistake to bet against the United States since 1776." - Warren Buffett

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sun Dec 11, 2016 2:48 pm

We are sleeping on an Englander King size mattress now for 25 years. There is nothing wrong with it, and we do not need to select a number on a display to get a good sleep.

bogleenigma

Post by bogleenigma » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:25 pm

Five,
I've slept on Sleep Numbers and every luxury mattress imaginable. Nothing compares to a Naturepedic EOS, particularly because you go to the store and get them to custom order it exactly how you like it. I have never slept on a mattress remotely comparable to how comfortable this thing is, even in some of the nicest hotels in the U.S. and Europe I have been to. Is it cheap? No. Is it worth it? Absolutely it is, particularly if you're like me and have had some injuries. The price you would pay in the store is typically 10% cheaper than you would pay from the website and if you're a healthcare professional most stores will give you a 5% discount. We like Naturepedic mattresses so much that the mattress in my daughter's crib (way way cheaper than adult mattress) is a Naturepedic mattress and last weekend we purchased a twin to go on the bed that we are getting for her as she is going to need a twin bed very soon (this is also way cheaper than an adult mattress). We like their mattresses so much that we're willing to drive 3 hours to Pittsburgh to actually purchase them. Naturepedic is a US company and all parts of mattresses are made in the USA. Warrenty is 20 years. You can also get the bed customized on each side per what each spouse likes.

http://www.naturepedic.com/our-products/mattresses/eos

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:30 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (bed).
Five wrote:...I know this is not an investing question but I wanted to ask the community about the Sleep Number bed(s)-----there are several types.
Here you go: Personal Consumer Issues
This subforum is focused on making informed decisions about consumer goods and services (other than investing or financial).

Acceptable topics include:

- consumer goods and services (e.g., dress shirts, laptops, software)
- home maintenance
- vehicle purchases and maintenance
- leisure and recreational activities: travel, sports, entertainment

Note that topics must be directly connected to your (or your friend's or family's) life as a consumer. General comments or complaints about these topics will be removed.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

John in Pinehurst

Post by John in Pinehurst » Sun Dec 11, 2016 3:54 pm

We've have had 3 Sleep Number mattresses over the last 20 years, one queen, one double, and one in our motor-home. The first thing we did when we bought the motor-home was to replace the mattress with a sleep number mattress. We like the individual firmness controls for each bed partner. The one in the motor-home we let go when we sold the motor-home, but the others we still have and use. Yes, they do cost a little more but they last and last. Both are so old ,maybe about 20 years, we bought them before Sleep Number had numbers. They were called Select Comfort then.Finally we had to replace the chambers about a year and a half ago in the queen. Cost about $150 a piece if I remember correctly. Recently we replaced the chamber in the double for about the same cost. We tried a Temperpedic when we rented a beech cottage, but we found it miserably hot in the summer. We'll stay with our Sleep Number or should I say Select Comfort.

Five

Post by Five » Sun Dec 11, 2016 4:38 pm

Thank you all for your responses. There are many mattresses and beds out there and it seemed to us that the Sleep Number bed looked good and had many nice features. However, it is not cheap--you could buy 2-3 conventional mattresses for the price of this Sleep Number bed. But, I believe in quality and don't mind paying for it, especially if it involves something as important as Sleep. I have a bad back (spinal stenosis) and have always tried to buy a quality mattress. We now have had our mattress for almost 7 years from the Original Mattress Factory and it has done well. However, I think it is time for a change. Consumer Reports has given a good rating to the Sleep Number bed and I wanted to know what the Bogleheads thought about it. Thank you.

taguscove

Post by taguscove » Sun Dec 11, 2016 7:45 pm

I felt compelled to register to make a reply.

A lot of the traditional major mattress companies have a car dealership model that makes the product excessively opaque and complicated.
Sleep Number is generally considered at the high end of the traditional mattress channel

Over the past 5 years, there is a new direct mattress model that provides excellent mattresses and cuts the intermediate markups.
https://www.amazon.com/Tuft-Needle-TN23 ... B00QBZ265U
https://www.amazon.com/Brooklyn-Bedding ... B00XZO2O6Q

I found this resource useful: https://www.themattressunderground.com

The whole mattress industry feels excessively complicated, but these direct mattress makers are the most straightforward of them. I receive zero compensation from any mattress company. I ended up buying a queen from Costco and a second one from Brooklyn Bedding this July.

SittingOnTheFence

Post by SittingOnTheFence » Mon Dec 12, 2016 2:23 am

I have had several sleep numbers, including one in RV. I really like them but.....there is always a but....

Re: Warranty. Read it again. I found the controller & pump were prorated. And my bed has a separate airline for fill and discharge. The replacement pump, and probably all new bed pumps only have 1 line for fill/discharge. For my bed, they provide a little cap to plug off one of the two fittings in each chamber. I don't find that acceptable.

Rather than pay for a prorated replacement pump, I took my chances on eBay and bought a used one that was made for my bed. This whole thing left a bad taste in my mouth.

I still like the bed. It's great for 2 persons with different firmness requirements. The king has a foam divider running between the 2 chambers, probably to keep them from sliding. Over time, I think it's been nearly 15 yrs, this foam divider has become more of a barrier or wall between the 2 mattress chambers. At my age, this is not much of an issue, younger folks may find this annoying.

A few years ago I was in a store and noticed that the pumps now seem to be much much louder than the one I now have. In spite of the cost of the bed, if there is an upgrade option for the pump, depending on what the upgrade provides, you may want to consider that, IF the pump is quieter.

Others mentioned the controller LED burning out. Mine have too. And the one in my RV has also burned out. I tried to repair one, there is info and videos you can find. One I was able to repair, another I was not. They use a cheap manner to affix the ribbon cable between the board and the display and it eventually loses electrical contact.

Just wanted to point out what I consider deficiencies on a very expensive product. If I didn't buy another one, I'd certainly buy something comparable that can be adjusted for each person.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Mon Dec 12, 2016 10:54 am

My in-laws had a sleep number bed in their spare bedroom. We used it countless times when visiting. Without a doubt the most uncomfortable bed I've ever slept on - worse than a water bed. After fiddling with the settings, we'd both usually end up on the ground. They received so many complaints from visitors that they returned it, thinking there was something wrong with the unit; the replacement was no better. They recently gave it away. FWIW, it was a double and they have a queen in their room. While they haven't had the same level of issues with it, they have both said that they would never spend the money for one again.

Riverstwo

Post by Riverstwo » Mon Dec 12, 2016 11:54 am

I bought a sleep number 20 years ago. I hope they have improved by now. The middle section slices between two sections of indivdiual sleep numbers and I always ended up rolling into the crack! Sent it back, very very difficult to get it back into the box.

ReadyToRetire

Post by ReadyToRetire » Mon Dec 12, 2016 12:34 pm

I also had a sleep number bed many years ago. I had the same problem as others - the foam that divided my queen sized bed kept shifting and eventually seemed to break down. I'd roll off my side and hit the foam which caused me to wake up. Plus one time in the middle of the night I decided I needed my side to be firmer and hit the inflate button. The resulting noise disturbed my wife. After she came back down from hitting the ceiling, she unleashed a verbal instruction to never refill the mattress again. The way she phrased the instruction led me to believe it was best for me and my marriage to move back to a more traditional mattress.

Again, my try at this was many years ago. In fact, I do not recall my mattress having a specific "number" I just had an inflate and deflate button that you'd hold until your comfort level was achieved.

Good luck!

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Fri Dec 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Had to answer - although by now you may have already purchased a bed. We've had our sleep number for about 20 years. We have replaced a few parts - that is nothing compared to buying a totally new mattress and boxspring. That's a real positive. It's multilayered -- you can also open it and replace foam or an air bladder. They DO stand behind the product, you'll never have to flip and/or rotate your mattress again, oh, and most important - WONDERFUL night's sleep - and I also have numerous spinal issues. We love our sleep number and expect to get another 10 years out of it, possibly having to replace the top layer of foam down the road! Good luck.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:39 pm

Have slept in them a couple of times for a night or two. I don't like them. I did not find them particularly comfortable. Felt like a basic air mattress to me. Fine for camping but not for my regular day to day bed.

YMMV
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:45 pm

With all the great mattress options, I would run fast from a Sleep Number bed.

My in-laws spent thousands and thousands on theirs, repairing, replacing, warranty, non-warranty.

http://sleepopolis.com/mattress-reviews/

This was posted in another mattress thread. Many good options with far lower prices than the Sleep Number.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:12 pm

Unless you have a medical condition that a specialty bed will help, I don't see any point in it. Generally I avoid unnecessary and expensive technology and gimmicks that don't add any value to my life. A hospital bed that is a technological marvel is fun to play with when you are in the hospital but most people don't need one at home.

Even if you need the foot of a bed raised, a couple of blocks will do the trick. If you like to sit up in bed, those pillows with arms work just fine. If you and your spouse prefer very different mattresses, get two single mattresses and place them side-by side to make a king-sized bed.

ryman554

Post by ryman554 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 5:35 pm

My back has never recovered from two nights with a slowly leaking sleep number bed at a boutique hotel. Nothing like setting on 95 and waking up in the morning at 0, unable to get up.

Or so I claim, and I stick to my story.

I give it a big thumbs down.

mrc

Post by mrc » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:11 pm

ryman554 wrote:My back has never recovered from two nights with a slowly leaking sleep number bed at a boutique hotel. Nothing like setting on 95 and waking up in the morning at 0, unable to get up.

Or so I claim, and I stick to my story.

I give it a big thumbs down.
Coming attractions ...

In a world ... [cue scary movie trailer track] ... in a bed you think is luxury ... you'll wake up ... unable to move ...
Honor to the soldier and sailor everywhere, who bravely bears his country's cause. Honor, also, to the citizen who cares for his brother in the field and serves, as best he can, the same cause. —AL

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:18 pm

I hadn't thought to ask here, but we've been toying with the idea of replacing our mattress and since we really like sleeping on an air mattress when camping, I'd wondered about the Sleep Number Bed and am very grateful for the broad consensus I see in these responses.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

Five

Post by Five » Sat Dec 17, 2016 7:42 pm

We are going to go ahead with our purchase. I will let this forum know how things work out. Part of the cost of the bed is tax deductible if one has a bad back, neck, shoulders and has a note from their doctor saying that an adjustable bed may help their back, neck, shoulder..... part of the cost is considered a medical expense and can be claimed as a tax deduction. This is per our CPA.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:43 pm

The expenses might be deductible, but you should be aware of the minimum amount of expenses to take the deduction. See: Publication 502 (2016), Medical and Dental Expenses

Did you ask your CPA if you'll qualify for the deduction (more than 10% of your AGI)?
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

birdy

Post by birdy » Sat Dec 17, 2016 8:59 pm

Have had my sleep number bed for 18 years. Have not replaced ANYTHING on it. The only thing I have noticed is that after 2-3 months, I need to add more air (some leaking somewhere?). The trick to this bed is finding the right firmness. We originally had about a month of fiddling with it until we found what we liked. Before we got this bed, we went through 2 "normal" mattresses which sagged in the middle within a year of purchase. As for cost, at the time of purchase it was not significantly more than other top of the line regular mattresses.

birdy

bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 » Sat Dec 17, 2016 9:30 pm

We've had one for about 8 years, with all the options. Best money we ever spent!

We rarely use the massage part, but it's nice every now and then.

Never had any issues with it.

The biggest downside is that the sheet sizes are non-standard, so to get a good fit you need to buy from the Sleep Number company, and they're not cheap.

But all in all, it's been worth it for us. I figure we spend 33% of our time there, so it's not an area to cut costs!
BH87