Where do you buy coffee beans?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Tingting1013
Posts: 464
Joined: Mon Aug 24, 2020 5:44 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Tingting1013 »

Drink what exorbitantly paid Silicon Valley coders drink and live the volatile RSU compensation life vicariously through a cup of coffee!

https://www.redgiantcoffeeroasters.com/
JS-Elcano
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by JS-Elcano »

I buy my beans at Trader Joe's. Excellent taste and good price. I grind the beans fresh for pour over coffee.
HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

KlangFool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Finca Vista Hermosa, once it's back in season.
kelvan80
Posts: 201
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:06 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by kelvan80 »

From Beck's Roasting House and Creamery. My friend owns a small coffee shop in Las Cruces NM. It's delicious and she ships to me once a month. We graduated high school together and I love supporting their small business and family endeavor. I decided it was one of the ways I could give back this year. Plus coffee!
hdcd
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by hdcd »

Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
User avatar
cchrissyy
Posts: 207
Joined: Fri May 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by cchrissyy »

in the SF bay area my favorite roasters are Ritual and Highwire, and when i order online from further away my strong favorite for 3 orders in a row right now is Onyx
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Finca Vista Hermosa, once it's back in season.
Thanks

KlangFool
lazydavid
Posts: 3397
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by lazydavid »

hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
User avatar
wander
Posts: 3353
Joined: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:10 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by wander »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
10 lbs every 2-3 weeks is a lot of coffee. 2 lbs can get me going for weeks. :D
arsenalfan
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by arsenalfan »

Ok need ideas for my Oxo Cold Brew - uses about 12 oz per week to make the concentrate.
Costco Starbucks roast too burned for my taste.
Anyone have a (preferrably available at Costco) medium to light roast worth buying?
lazydavid
Posts: 3397
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by lazydavid »

wander wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:26 am 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks is a lot of coffee. 2 lbs can get me going for weeks. :D
Yes, we drink a lot of coffee. 3 pots/day (1.5 gallons), on average.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am Ok need ideas for my Oxo Cold Brew - uses about 12 oz per week to make the concentrate.
Costco Starbucks roast too burned for my taste.
Anyone have a (preferrably available at Costco) medium to light roast worth buying?
Check out mother earth coffee from Costco.

KlangFool
RRJeff
Posts: 22
Joined: Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:18 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by RRJeff »

arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:27 am Ok need ideas for my Oxo Cold Brew - uses about 12 oz per week to make the concentrate.
Costco Starbucks roast too burned for my taste.
Anyone have a (preferrably available at Costco) medium to light roast worth buying?
You might try Ruta Maya medium roast From Costco. It is roasted in Austin and I know it’s available in Texas Costcos and online (though I don’t drink enough coffee fast enough to order 2 bags at a time). I find it to be much better than the Costco Colombian Supremo, which was terribly bitter no matter how I brewed it.
Tattarrattat
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2020 6:05 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Tattarrattat »

A guy I work with is a professional roaster as a side job and he says Starbucks basically burns cheap beans in large batches. Calls them "Charbucks," He knows more than I do, but I do find them harsh. I drink black coffee, drip. It's totally exposed. For my preferences, small batch, single source, freshly roasted, frehly ground, medium roast, from small local roasters. Ethiopia, Costa Rica, Honduras, Guatemala all good. Life too short to drink suboptimal coffee. If have to buy a cup on the road, I'd rather have Dunkin than Starbucks.
UpperNwGuy
Posts: 4289
Joined: Sun Oct 08, 2017 7:16 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by UpperNwGuy »

I buy Zeke’s coffee beans from either Whole Foods or from one of the farmers markets. Zeke’s roasts locally, and I occasionally swing by their roasting place to pick up a bag. My favorite roast/blend is called Royal Blue.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Finca Vista Hermosa, once it's back in season.

Aha! It is an Arabica Bourboun coffee.


KlangFool
arsenalfan
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by arsenalfan »

Thanks, I'll check out Ruta Maya and Mother Earth.
kiwi123
Posts: 149
Joined: Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:37 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by kiwi123 »

intelligensia
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am Thanks, I'll check out Ruta Maya and Mother Earth.
arsenalfan,

A) It might be easier to clean if you use a filter bag with your cold brew maker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZ ... UTF8&psc=1


B) I prefer doing my cold brew in a glass jar or mason jar and then pour into a paper or fiber filter bag. It is easier to clean.

I just hate plastic.

KlangFool
rebenzer
Posts: 12
Joined: Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:21 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by rebenzer »

Probably not too many Bogleheads living up this way, but these people do ship. Superior Coffee Roasting Co., Sault Ste Marie, MI. I am very happy with their products.
JS-Elcano
Posts: 136
Joined: Wed Jun 10, 2020 7:29 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by JS-Elcano »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
How do you store the roasted beans after roasting? Do you vacuum seal them?
Nicolas
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Nicolas »

I get my beans at the Green Coffee Buying Club! I’ve been roasting my own for over seventeen years. I’ll never buy preroasted beans again.
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11866
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Sandtrap »

Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
lazydavid
Posts: 3397
Joined: Wed Apr 06, 2016 1:37 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by lazydavid »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 am
arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am Thanks, I'll check out Ruta Maya and Mother Earth.
arsenalfan,

A) It might be easier to clean if you use a filter bag with your cold brew maker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZ ... UTF8&psc=1


B) I prefer doing my cold brew in a glass jar or mason jar and then pour into a paper or fiber filter bag. It is easier to clean.

I just hate plastic.

KlangFool
I got this as a gift a few years ago: https://smile.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCM ... 464&sr=8-2

Relatively easy to clean, and the only plastic that touches the coffee is the bottom drain. Everything else is glass or stainless. Really convenient IMO.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:29 am
KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 am
arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am Thanks, I'll check out Ruta Maya and Mother Earth.
arsenalfan,

A) It might be easier to clean if you use a filter bag with your cold brew maker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZ ... UTF8&psc=1


B) I prefer doing my cold brew in a glass jar or mason jar and then pour into a paper or fiber filter bag. It is easier to clean.

I just hate plastic.

KlangFool
I got this as a gift a few years ago: https://smile.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KCM ... 464&sr=8-2

Relatively easy to clean, and the only plastic that touches the coffee is the bottom drain. Everything else is glass or stainless. Really convenient IMO.

Nice!


KlangFool
User avatar
heartwood
Posts: 1660
Joined: Sat Nov 23, 2013 1:40 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by heartwood »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Based on the items that are worth the money for the quality thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327933
I looked again at Kona coffee. I've been unimpressed in the past, esp buying 100% Kona at Costco. I almost ordered your Koa Coffee Peaberry above, but at the last minute changed to Hawaii Coffee Co Whole Bean Peaberry Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee.

It's on its way to me now.

I've been trying many different mail order coffees. We used to get all our coffee beans at Fairway, a local chain. It went bankrupt and closed earlier this year. In recent months we've tried Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Dillanos, Counter Culture, and others. It must be me. We keep looking! These threads are so useful.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

heartwood wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Based on the items that are worth the money for the quality thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327933
I looked again at Kona coffee. I've been unimpressed in the past, esp buying 100% Kona at Costco. I almost ordered your Koa Coffee Peaberry above, but at the last minute changed to Hawaii Coffee Co Whole Bean Peaberry Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee.

It's on its way to me now.

I've been trying many different mail order coffees. We used to get all our coffee beans at Fairway, a local chain. It went bankrupt and closed earlier this year. In recent months we've tried Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Dillanos, Counter Culture, and others. It must be me. We keep looking! These threads are so useful.

I had good experience with Kona and Jamaica Blue Mountain coffee from coffeeam.com


KlangFool
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11866
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Sandtrap »

heartwood wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Based on the items that are worth the money for the quality thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327933
I looked again at Kona coffee. I've been unimpressed in the past, esp buying 100% Kona at Costco. I almost ordered your Koa Coffee Peaberry above, but at the last minute changed to Hawaii Coffee Co Whole Bean Peaberry Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee.

It's on its way to me now.

I've been trying many different mail order coffees. We used to get all our coffee beans at Fairway, a local chain. It went bankrupt and closed earlier this year. In recent months we've tried Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Dillanos, Counter Culture, and others. It must be me. We keep looking! These threads are so useful.
Agreed.
The problem with a lot of these things is that fresh roasted coffee beans are a perishable timely item, and chain and box stores, and mail order distributors, etc, have to keep such a large stock to ship out, and in all sorts of climates and environments, that the beans are no longer fresh by the time we get them. Usually stale, old, dried out, and all the fresh aroma is gone.
I've gotten Kona Beans from various plantations in Kona with different results, and if a more "generic" well stocked bean, even though grown there, may not always be as fresh or optimal either.

j :happy
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
arsenalfan
Posts: 949
Joined: Mon Dec 09, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by arsenalfan »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:47 am
arsenalfan wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:30 am Thanks, I'll check out Ruta Maya and Mother Earth.
arsenalfan,

A) It might be easier to clean if you use a filter bag with your cold brew maker.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07WZ ... UTF8&psc=1


B) I prefer doing my cold brew in a glass jar or mason jar and then pour into a paper or fiber filter bag. It is easier to clean.

I just hate plastic.

KlangFool
Thanks. I'll go that route when the Oxo Cold Brew Press dies.
Mr.BB
Posts: 1449
Joined: Sun May 08, 2016 10:10 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Mr.BB »

Maui Coffee Roasters
https://mauicoffeeroasters.com/
Last edited by Mr.BB on Wed Oct 21, 2020 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit."
seanbolt
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:01 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by seanbolt »

I've been buying from Happy Mug Coffee for the past year and the quality is amazing for the price: https://happymugcoffee.com
Dougiefresh
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Dougiefresh »

IMO for the money, pound for pound, the best coffee is Eight o' Clock Columbian Peaks. It's very consistent and has a winey, slightly tangy taste- which I love. For $6 a lb, the savings over $15 lb coffee buys me an extra round of golf a month. I have tried a lot of different varieties and blends of coffee over the years. Some are quite tasty, but they go in and out of stock, and the pricing is generally high.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

Dougiefresh wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:41 am IMO for the money, pound for pound, the best coffee is Eight o' Clock Columbian Peaks. It's very consistent and has a winey, slightly tangy taste- which I love. For $6 a lb, the savings over $15 lb coffee buys me an extra round of golf a month. I have tried a lot of different varieties and blends of coffee over the years. Some are quite tasty, but they go in and out of stock, and the pricing is generally high.

Dougiefresh,

For around that price, you can get small-batch roasted gourmet coffee from the coffeeam.com


Or, $35 for 4 pounds of Mother Earth coffee from Costco.com.


KlangFool
Dougiefresh
Posts: 34
Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:57 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Dougiefresh »

I'm on it.
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am
heartwood wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Based on the items that are worth the money for the quality thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327933
I looked again at Kona coffee. I've been unimpressed in the past, esp buying 100% Kona at Costco. I almost ordered your Koa Coffee Peaberry above, but at the last minute changed to Hawaii Coffee Co Whole Bean Peaberry Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee.

It's on its way to me now.

I've been trying many different mail order coffees. We used to get all our coffee beans at Fairway, a local chain. It went bankrupt and closed earlier this year. In recent months we've tried Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Dillanos, Counter Culture, and others. It must be me. We keep looking! These threads are so useful.
Agreed.
The problem with a lot of these things is that fresh roasted coffee beans are a perishable timely item, and chain and box stores, and mail order distributors, etc, have to keep such a large stock to ship out, and in all sorts of climates and environments, that the beans are no longer fresh by the time we get them. Usually stale, old, dried out, and all the fresh aroma is gone.
I've gotten Kona Beans from various plantations in Kona with different results, and if a more "generic" well stocked bean, even though grown there, may not always be as fresh or optimal either.

j :happy
Sandtrap,

And, that is why you should buy coffee from someone like coffeeam.com that freshly roasted their coffee and then ship them directly to you. It takes about 3 days to reach most people and the timing is perfect for the coffee.

https://www.coffeeam.com/

<<Our coffee beans are fresh roasted daily and shipped in heat-sealed valve bags for maximum freshness.>>


KlangFool
HawkeyePierce
Posts: 1563
Joined: Tue Mar 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by HawkeyePierce »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Finca Vista Hermosa, once it's back in season.

Aha! It is an Arabica Bourboun coffee.


KlangFool
And it's back! https://browncoffeeco.com/shop/vista-he ... -guatemala
KlangFool
Posts: 18191
Joined: Sat Oct 11, 2008 12:35 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by KlangFool »

HawkeyePierce wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:37 pm
KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 8:18 am
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 11:09 pm
KlangFool wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:35 pm
HawkeyePierce wrote: Tue Oct 20, 2020 9:31 pm I have a subscription from Brown Coffee Co of San Antonio: https://browncoffeeco.com/shop?category=Subscriptions

Alton Brown called it the best cup of coffee he's ever had. https://www.mysanantonio.com/food/bars- ... 177325.php
HawkeyePierce,

Which coffee from this roaster would you recommend?


KlangFool
Finca Vista Hermosa, once it's back in season.

Aha! It is an Arabica Bourboun coffee.


KlangFool
And it's back! https://browncoffeeco.com/shop/vista-he ... -guatemala

Thanks.


KlangFool
User avatar
ReformedSpender
Posts: 544
Joined: Fri Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Location: Stone's Throw from Vanguard

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by ReformedSpender »

Burlap and Bean
Turks Head Coffee
Island Vintage Coffee
Maui Coffee Roasters

and many others
:beer
Market history shows that when there's economic blue sky, future returns are low, and when the economy is on the skids, future returns are high. The best fishing is done in the most stormy waters.
User avatar
familythriftmd
Posts: 237
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2020 10:15 am
Location: Wisconsin

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by familythriftmd »

Let me be contrarian.

ALDI.
He/him/his
User avatar
Sandtrap
Posts: 11866
Joined: Sat Nov 26, 2016 6:32 pm
Location: Hawaii No Ka Oi , N. Arizona

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Sandtrap »

KlangFool wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 12:17 pm
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:51 am
heartwood wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 10:37 am
Sandtrap wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:23 am Koa Coffee Plantation
Kona Hawaii
Shipped direct.
Peaberry Premium Select super duper fresh rooster beans.

j :D
Based on the items that are worth the money for the quality thread viewtopic.php?f=11&t=327933
I looked again at Kona coffee. I've been unimpressed in the past, esp buying 100% Kona at Costco. I almost ordered your Koa Coffee Peaberry above, but at the last minute changed to Hawaii Coffee Co Whole Bean Peaberry Medium Roast 100% Kona Coffee.

It's on its way to me now.

I've been trying many different mail order coffees. We used to get all our coffee beans at Fairway, a local chain. It went bankrupt and closed earlier this year. In recent months we've tried Blue Bottle, Stumptown, Dillanos, Counter Culture, and others. It must be me. We keep looking! These threads are so useful.
Agreed.
The problem with a lot of these things is that fresh roasted coffee beans are a perishable timely item, and chain and box stores, and mail order distributors, etc, have to keep such a large stock to ship out, and in all sorts of climates and environments, that the beans are no longer fresh by the time we get them. Usually stale, old, dried out, and all the fresh aroma is gone.
I've gotten Kona Beans from various plantations in Kona with different results, and if a more "generic" well stocked bean, even though grown there, may not always be as fresh or optimal either.

j :happy
Sandtrap,

And, that is why you should buy coffee from someone like coffeeam.com that freshly roasted their coffee and then ship them directly to you. It takes about 3 days to reach most people and the timing is perfect for the coffee.

https://www.coffeeam.com/

<<Our coffee beans are fresh roasted daily and shipped in heat-sealed valve bags for maximum freshness.>>


KlangFool
will give it a try
thanks! :D :D

j :D
Wiki Bogleheads Wiki: Everything You Need to Know
hdcd
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by hdcd »

lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
I've been eyeing the Bullet for quite a while... when my Behmor dies I will have a decision to make. It's been a very good dependable roaster and I have learned quite a bit in the process. It would be nice if there were a few more roaster options to choose from without the price jump to the Bullet :shock: .
Hubris
Posts: 81
Joined: Thu Sep 15, 2016 10:55 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Hubris »

Escapevelocity
Posts: 265
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2019 8:32 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Escapevelocity »

If you like a dark roast, I highly recommend these beans:

https://www.amazon.com/Mayorga-Organics ... Q4G59AY4E8
srt7
Posts: 526
Joined: Mon Sep 29, 2014 12:19 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by srt7 »

Starbucks.

Tried many others over the years but they caused me acidity so I stick to Starbucks now.
I can't think of anything more luxurious than owning my time. - remomnyc
Nicolas
Posts: 2343
Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 7:41 am
Contact:

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Nicolas »

hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm
lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
I've been eyeing the Bullet for quite a while... when my Behmor dies I will have a decision to make. It's been a very good dependable roaster and I have learned quite a bit in the process. It would be nice if there were a few more roaster options to choose from without the price jump to the Bullet :shock: .
I went in the opposite direction, building the “Turbo-Crazy” roaster from a Stircrazy popcorn popper and a convection oven for about $75. I’ve been roasting with this setup for about eight years. I can roast a pound at a time. I did have to replace the convection oven twice when they failed for about $40 each.

Before that I just used hot air poppers from Goodwill for about nine years, but the Turbo-Crazy is better. You don’t need to spend thousands to roast delicious coffee.
hdcd
Posts: 69
Joined: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:09 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by hdcd »

Nicolas wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 11:26 pm
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 9:58 pm
lazydavid wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 7:02 am
hdcd wrote: Wed Oct 21, 2020 1:59 am Over the years I dabbled with home roasting using different methods. Good freshly roasted beans from a local supplier here are $15-$20 for a 3/4 lb bag. Dove in and got a nice roaster and roast 2lbs of green beans ($5-$7lb) every two weeks. It's a hobby, not a passion of mine. A fun thing to do. I'd rather drink my roasted beans over the $20/bag and I'm not meticulous in my roasting.
Agreed, once I started roasting, I can't go back. Used a Gene Cafe for about 5 years, doing about 550 lbs in that time. Then back in March, the Aillio Bullet R1 came back in stock for about 30 minutes (as it does about every 3 months) and I snagged one before they were gone. I do about 10 lbs every 2-3 weeks, which I can now do in a single evening (less than 2 hours) vs. all day Saturday previously. It also has much better controls, and logging so I can start to understand the roasting process better. I could not be happier.
I've been eyeing the Bullet for quite a while... when my Behmor dies I will have a decision to make. It's been a very good dependable roaster and I have learned quite a bit in the process. It would be nice if there were a few more roaster options to choose from without the price jump to the Bullet :shock: .
I went in the opposite direction, building the “Turbo-Crazy” roaster from a Stircrazy popcorn popper and a convection oven for about $75. I’ve been roasting with this setup for about eight years. I can roast a pound at a time. I did have to replace the convection oven twice when they failed for about $40 each.

Before that I just used hot air poppers from Goodwill for about nine years, but the Turbo-Crazy is better. You don’t need to spend thousands to roast delicious coffee.
Thanks for the link! Somehow I never ran across the Turbo-Crazy reading endless home roasting forums over the years. I did the hot air poppers from Goodwill for a few years too. Then graduated to a heat gun and stainless dog bowl before getting the Behmor.
User avatar
WWJBDo
Posts: 101
Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:43 am
Location: California

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by WWJBDo »

+1 for https://www.coffeeam.com/
Have used them intermittently, found them to be excellent in quality for a reasonable price.

Current subscription from 100% Kona beans from Smith Farms in Hawaii - https://www.smithfarms.com/ Great quality and taste.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." Upton Sinclair
elle
Posts: 12
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2014 3:13 pm

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by elle »

nordsteve wrote: Thu Dec 08, 2016 1:20 pm Seattle Coffee Gear has a nice selection. I often go there when I'm in Seattle.

Locally, I buy from Spyhouse Coffee.
I second this. They have a subscription service and we get 2 bags delivered to our door monthly.
Bungo
Posts: 936
Joined: Wed Sep 28, 2011 11:28 am

Re: Where do you buy coffee beans?

Post by Bungo »

I've been roasting my own for about a year. I buy green beans from Sweet Maria's.

Prior to that, I used to have a pound of roasted beans from Four Barrel shipped to me every week.
Post Reply