Learning Violin as an adult? 7 years, new recording

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
wesgreen

Re: Learning an instrument as an adult?

Post by wesgreen »

Unlike investing, this is a field where you get out about as much as you put in. You have to enjoy the growth process, even when it's slow. Remember - no one musician has it all together.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

Just about the full range of advice, encouragement, and cautionary notes has already been given to you. In fact, as I read through this thread thinking about what I'd add, someone had already mentioned it. The beauty of the Boglehead community!

I am one of those people who has always taken lessons since I was a little boy, and also learned on my own as well. I've played a variety of instruments--piano, guitar, bass, ukelele, and saxophone. At 55, I went back to the local state university and four years later had a degree in music composition.

When I retired at 66 from my day job/profession, I took up the flute as a retirement project. I now practice 1-2 hours almost every day, something I'd never done while I was working full time.

Let me concur with others who said that learning a musical instrument as an adult is a wonderful thing for so many reasons. You do need to get over some bumps at the beginning, but because you are motivated, you will. No one will be forcing you to practice or play except yourself. What I find works the best is to develop a routine and make practicing a strong habit--one that makes you regret it if you haven't done it.

At some point, a year or two or three or four into it, you'll realize that, "Hey, I'm not as terrible a player as I used to be!" And that continues to build through novice, to intermediate, to, well, "better." You'll probably never become really great, but you might become really good.

Playing with other people (young and/or old) is a plus. Whether it's a garage band or a community concert band or a community orchestra, or a string quartet, music is a very social activity. And even beginners can find like-minded musicians to play with.

I strongly recommend that you read "Never Too Late: My Musical Story" by John Holt. He's the author of "How Children Learn" and "How Children Fail," and tells an interesting story of his musical journey as an adult. I found the book in the library, but here is the description:
https://www.amazon.com/Never-Too-Late-M ... 0201567636

My final words will be about your instrument of choice. I agree that while chordal instruments (guitar/ukelele), or the keyboard/piano, or wind instruments such as the saxophone or flute might be more "easily accessible" at the beginning, my own feeling is that you should go with the instrument that most speaks to you--the instrument to which you are drawn, whether it's the violin, the cello, or the tuba.

There is a strategic balance between your motivation to play and the learning curve. As long as you're aware that you'll sound pretty awful on the violin at the beginning, and that you can withstand criticism from your spouse and/or cat, what the heck difference does it make if you love what you're doing? Frankly, at this point in your life, as Richard Feynman famously said, "What do you care what other people think?"

So please, go for it! And report in regularly on your progress!
"What does not destroy me, makes me stronger." Nietzsche
Naikansha

Post by Naikansha »

A friend in his mid 70's has been playing the upright bass in a community orchestra with good reputation, after beginning to play about nine years ago. His wife started playing the piano around the same time. Taking lessons is important I think as you will learn what you have to do to make good progress even if your ambitions are modest.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jazztonight wrote:as Richard Feynman famously said, "What do you care what other people think?"
I never thought about this up until now, but watching videos of Richard Feynman in his latter days playing bongos at a local club with his friend Ralph Leighton was probably, in some way, part of my inspiration to take up an instrument in my 50s. I was never much into hero worship, but Feynman was about as close as a person could be to a hero to me. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24ggo ... shortfilms
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

protagonist wrote:
Jazztonight wrote:as Richard Feynman famously said, "What do you care what other people think?"
I never thought about this up until now, but watching videos of Richard Feynman in his latter days playing bongos at a local club with his friend Ralph Leighton was probably, in some way, part of my inspiration to take up an instrument in my 50s. I was never much into hero worship, but Feynman was about as close as a person could be to a hero to me. http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x24ggo ... shortfilms
Thanks for this link. I plan to watch it soon. I've read most of the popular books he wrote, and he was inspiring. I remember that he took part in the Mardi Gras parade in Rio and other crazy stuff.

Glad you took up an instrument in your 50s. I'm hoping more people will follow your lead.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

protagonist wrote:
Oh yes, the genius physicist also had the best instincts of a musician, artist, and investigative journalist. And he knew the joy in all of it. Thanks for the link.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
DetroitRick

Post by DetroitRick »

I taught myself piano as an adult (started at age 50 or so). I did already know how to read music, though. It is still a work in progress, but has gone well. I won't be going on stage anytime soon, but have had as much fun doing this as I originally intended. There are lots of online resources for help, including a lot of talented folks on YouTube (but not every poster there, of course). Were I interested in classical piano (I love classical music, but have only been targeting pop, rock and jazz for my efforts), I'd lean towards a teacher. But it's been a real blast, and I love learning at my own speed.

I've also re-learned classical guitar in my 50's (took lessons as a teen and then again in mid life). That has gone even better for me, as I can now play better than I ever did. I actually wanted to use a teacher for that, but had great difficulty finding a good one (which is the only kind to have!) in SE Michigan. Not impossible, but rare here for that instrument. Still, some of the online folks I found have gotten me where I need to go. For example, I found a wonderful classical guitarist in Sweden who posts excellent videos on YouTube and who sells his arrangements online. Which is great, because I get to watch a master play (with closeups) the same works I am learning.

Bottom line, if you love music and are so inclined, it's a wonderful thing to do. We're all different, but with music I found no additional difficulty learning later in life. Unlike my foreign language skills, which I've found a lot harder to develop at this age (now 60). Have fun - even the process of choosing an instrument to learn can be a great journey.
feh

Post by feh »

investingdad wrote: I'm wondering if the violin may bee a good choice. I love classical music.

So...please, either talk me into it or out of it.
I don't want to dissuade you, if violin is something you have your heart set on, but beware - it is a very difficult instrument to play well. The lack of frets and pulling a bow across strings will sound like a screeching cat until you have invested quite a bit of time.

I would personally suggest piano or guitar.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

feh wrote:
investingdad wrote: I'm wondering if the violin may bee a good choice. I love classical music.

I don't want to dissuade you, if violin is something you have your heart set on, but beware - it is a very difficult instrument to play well. The lack of frets and pulling a bow across strings will sound like a screeching cat until you have invested quite a bit of time.

I disagree.

Play what you love, and what speaks to you.

Otherwise you will quit....or always wonder if you should have taken the plunge.

Violin is not THAT much harder to learn than other instruments- and they are all exceptionally hard to be really good at. Go to a Suzuki violin performance around your home town sometime and see what a random group of 7 or 8 year olds can do on violin. You will be very impressed and hopefully inspired. Yes, they have the significant advantage of youth, but you will potentially be more motivated and disciplined than they are (your parents are not MAKING you do it), and you are familiar with the music.
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

investingdad wrote:Any folks on here decide they'd like to learn to play an instrument for the first time as an adult and total beginner? As in, you cannot even read music?

If so, what did you try and how did it go?

My daughter has been playing the flute for two years and had her first public recital this weekend. She sounded really good.

My son just started the saxophone in school and is picking it up just fine.

I played the trumpet in elementary school, never learned to read music properly, and decided that I hated it.

However, I think at 43 I may want to have another go. Not the trumpet. In fact, nothing that requires me to blow air. One thing I've learned over the years is that I have a knack for manipulating tools with my hands and fingers...and, even though I understand it may be an awful choice, I'm wondering if the violin may bee a good choice. I love classical music.

I would be self teaching to start.
Eager to hear---what did you decide?
tetractys

Post by tetractys »

investingdad wrote:I think at 43 I may want to have another go. Not the trumpet. In fact, nothing that requires me to blow air. One thing I've learned over the years is that I have a knack for manipulating tools with my hands and fingers...and, even though I understand it may be an awful choice, I'm wondering if the violin may bee a good choice. I love classical music.
Keyboards would be a way to accompany your kids. The problem with modern violins is the inherently terrible sound. You can desensitize yourself to it, although for some it comes at the price of bad hearing. The sound sweetens up a bit at about 90 feet, but to play it, yikes!!! Back in the early days they were designed to sound nice, but since the need for orchestral power emerged, the tradeoff came in hard. -- Tet
random_walker_77

Post by random_walker_77 »

feh wrote:

The screeching cat phase need not last very long. My elder son got through it in about a week. My younger 6 year old just started on violin and is nearly out of this phase, at about 3 weeks of bowing. Each, practicing about 5min / day. That said, we'd spent a couple months building up to this point, working on developing neck muscles, finger muscles, and a bow grip.

What you need is a violin teacher, or at least someone who plays violin to help provide directed feedback. Since no one else in the household plays violin, in addition to a violin teacher, you might see if any local high school or college violinists can provide tutoring. Seriously, having 10-15min/day with someone who knows the violin can really help things along when you're just getting started.

Investingdad: specifically, you're going to want to spend some weeks getting used to supporting the violin entirely with your neck -- you just need to build up the muscles. A teacher will help ensure you're holding it right and not working too hard. The bow grip will seem very unnatural at first -- it just takes practice. You'll want to keep your wrist flexible and learn the right motions for how the wrist works w/ the forearm to move the bow parallel to the violin's bridge. A lot of the screeching is because either
a) the bow is moving too slow for the amount of pressure (use more bow!)
b) the bow isn't perpendicular to the strings (from your POV, the motion to move the bow parallel to the bridge is probably not what you think it is)
c) the bow is contacting the strings too close to the bridge. It's a lot more forgiving closer to the fingerboard.

As a student, you'll probably spend a couple years really getting fine control of b) and c), and probably longer on a). Getting past the screeching cat phase is most likely going to be about a) and c) and with directed deliberate practice, it's possible to get through it relatively quickly. Invest in a rubber practice mute... https://smile.amazon.com/eBoot-Rubber-V ... ctice+mute

alternate for $3 here: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/orchestr ... m_page.rr1
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

My husband has amazing inner rhythm and he plays the harmonica. He's never had a lesson, it just comes naturally. Since you once played the trumpet, perhaps it would be easy for you too. I also bought him an Irish Bodhram drum for his birthday last year. Have you thought about bongo drums?
hightower

Post by hightower »

I started taking piano when I was a freshman in college. I had never learned to read music before either. I had played various other instruments before that (guitar and drums mostly, but by ear). Had to give up lessons for about 10 years when I was in medical school and residency, but picked it back up again at the age of 31. Its not weird or awkward at all to take music lessons as an adult.
I highly encourage anyone who has any interest to just go do it! Its a huge source of joy in my life being able to sit down at the piano each day and learn new things and play through pieces I already know.
Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

So the update is my daughter's tutor gave me the name of a teacher close by who has a number of adult students. She lives only about 12 minutes away.

So, it seems like that will be a good path forward based on suggestions on here.
helloeveryone

Post by helloeveryone »

I'm in my late 30's. I bought a guitar, lesson book, picks on amazon 2 years ago. I tried learning and gave up after a few weeks. After sitting in the closet 2 years I decided to take lessons. I've been doing this since June, 30 minutes once a week. I "cram" for lessons by practicing the 2-3 days preceding lessons for 30 minutes at a time. I've really enjoyed it, due to a busy life and family I don't practice enough but still have learned quite a bit and see myself continuing lessons. It's gone well enough I sold my beginner guitar and bought an expensive one and that's made a huge difference as its sounds great. ($1300 used versus my beginner $110 new on amazon) My instructor is in a band so I've learned about the hardships of musicians' lives. Pretty interesting stuff.
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

helloeveryone wrote:... due to a busy life and family I don't practice enough but still have learned quite a bit and see myself continuing lessons.
Your guitar journey is wonderful. Keep up the good work!

Regarding practice: How much and how long to practice, and what constitutes "enough" is tough. It's like how much is "enough" money to retire on.

When I was in music school, I knew people who were obsessive practicers. One guy would practice the flute when he was waiting for a traffic light to change, and I'm not making that up. Others would show up at the practice rooms in the middle of the night and practice for 4 or 6 hours before classes. Some practice sessions can be very intense, regardless of how long they are.

Organizing one's practice is a very individual thing, and can take years to learn. I now keep a journal listing what I've practiced (scales, exercises, etudes) and at what tempos and keys. I "log in and out," as well. In the four years I've been doing this, I haven't missed many days. You have to learn what works best for you and make it a habit. That's the trick. I wish I'd known about this during the first 50 years of my musical life. Intentional and serious practice yields results. This is the main advantage of being an adult music student.
whodidntante

Post by whodidntante »

It's kind of like investing. The instrument you stick with is the one that works. I play piano and guitar, and I don't want to talk about the hours I've spent playing.
larklea

Post by larklea »

I purchased a bass clarinet a few years ago with a goal to join the municipal band. It was pretty easy to get to a basic level, as I had played clarinet in school. Now, we've moved and there isn't really a municipal band option near us. So, it sits collecting dust. Same as the 4-5 guitars that I owned for years. I'm an introvert, so you won't see me playing solos after supper for company.

Point is, without some goal or outlet, will you continue with it? It pains me to say this, as I do believe that there is a good mental benefit from learning and playing.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

larklea wrote:I purchased a bass clarinet a few years ago with a goal to join the municipal band. It was pretty easy to get to a basic level, as I had played clarinet in school. Now, we've moved and there isn't really a municipal band option near us. So, it sits collecting dust. Same as the 4-5 guitars that I owned for years. I'm an introvert, so you won't see me playing solos after supper for company.

Point is, without some goal or outlet, will you continue with it? It pains me to say this, as I do believe that there is a good mental benefit from learning and playing.
Find a teacher. Your assignment for your next lesson will be your goal and will force discipline. Plus, your teacher might know of some "outlets" of which you are unaware.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

protagonist wrote:
larklea wrote:I purchased a bass clarinet a few years ago with a goal to join the municipal band. It was pretty easy to get to a basic level, as I had played clarinet in school. Now, we've moved and there isn't really a municipal band option near us. So, it sits collecting dust. Same as the 4-5 guitars that I owned for years. I'm an introvert, so you won't see me playing solos after supper for company.

Find a teacher. Your assignment for your next lesson will be your goal and will force discipline. Plus, your teacher might know of some "outlets" of which you are unaware.

Btw, bass clarinetists are always coveted at jazz jam sessions. They can act as both rhythm and lead players, and they sound very cool. We love them. And if you amplified, I bet you would make a very unique addition to a rock band, even if you played at a "basic level".
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

Jazztonight wrote:Intentional and serious practice yields results.
Amen.

In my younger days as a musician, I mostly worried about getting better at playing my instrument. Over recent years, I've focused more on getting better at practicing my instrument. I've found that if you improve your practice skills, performance improvement simply can't help but follow.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Good question for those like myself who won't make pro because the sufficient talent, work ethic, or interest are not there, but the love of music remains strong, even vital. That love alone is reason enough for me to keep playing at least one of several instruments I have nearly every day - a delight in retirement. :) I also play by ear and enjoy picking out songs I like, especially on the electronic organ where I can then easily add various rhythms, tempos, etc. But in any case, amateur or pro, playing an instrument should be fun.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

I'm fortunate in that I play with other musicians all the time. But what to do when there's no one else around? I play along with "Play Along" recordings. Many are available on YouTube, and here's a link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_IEv7SzVM

These are jazz and popular standards, but I know there are CDs available for classical and other players as well. Any instrument you play will work, including bass clarinet. You do need to figure out how to transpose the song, but that's just logistics. PM me if you need help.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Jazztonight wrote:

I'm fortunate in that I play with other musicians all the time. But what to do when there's no one else around? I play along with "Play Along" recordings. Many are available on YouTube, and here's a link: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=eO_IEv7SzVM

These are jazz and popular standards, but I know there are CDs available for classical and other players as well. Any instrument you play will work, including bass clarinet. You do need to figure out how to transpose the song, but that's just logistics. PM me if you need help.
And a must for anybody playing jazz (and prob. rock, Latin, blues etc) is the iRealB app on Android or iTunes, which will give you thousands of background tracks to play with, allowing transposing, changing tempo, looping segments, etc.
Bustoff

Post by Bustoff »

investingdad wrote:Any folks on here decide they'd like to learn to play an instrument for the first time as an adult and total beginner? As in, you cannot even read music?
Retired and can't read music.
Recently bought set of drums and began private lessons.
Also, just bought a guitar and using online lessons for that.
It's fun, therapeutic and apparently good for the brain.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

I started playing when I was in about seventh grade in elementary school. When I started high school, my band instructor switched me first to bass clarinet and then to baritone sax. I think he was trying to figure out where he could put me where I could do the least damage, because I wasn't very good – primarily because I didn't like to practice.

Now that I am retired and approaching seventy-four next July, I would like to give playing an instrument another try. The problem is I live in a small condo unit, so taking up the piano probably is not an option. Also given the proximity of my neighbors, taking up the drums probably isn't an option either. Given that proximity, I wonder if playing and practicing any instrument is practical. Another consideration is I have a decided lack of hand-eye coordination.

I should add that I have eclectic musical tastes. I usually listen to classical music, but right now I'm listening to an Art Tatum cd that I ripped to my computer before I donated it to my library. I also like doo-wop music; after the Art Tatum CD ends, I'm going to switch to Pandora's doo-wop station. Among other artists I like are Linda Ronstadt, Mary Chapin Carpenter, the Eagles, the Byrds, Jackson Browne, Nora Jones, John Prine, Otis Redding. Pretty eclectic, right? All this is to provide background for those who might offer advice, recommendations, and suggestions.

Thanks for reading this.
Gordon
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

gkaplan wrote:I started playing when I was in about seventh grade in elementary school. When I started high school, my band instructor switched me first to bass clarinet and then to baritone sax. I think he was trying to figure out where he could put me where I could do the least damage, because I wasn't very good – primarily because I didn't like to practice.

Now that I am retired and approaching seventy-four next July, I would like to give playing an instrument another try. The problem is I live in a small condo unit, so taking up the piano probably is not an option. Also given the proximity of my neighbors, taking up the drums probably isn't an option either. Given that proximity, I wonder if playing and practicing any instrument is practical. Another consideration is I have a decided lack of hand-eye coordination.

I should add that I have eclectic musical tastes. I usually listen to classical music, but right now I'm listening to an Art Tatum cd that I ripped to my computer before I donated it to my library. I also like doo-wop music; after the Art Tatum CD ends, I'm going to switch to Pandora's doo-wop station. Among other artists I like are Linda Ronstadt, Mary Chapin Carpenter, the Eagles, the Byrds, Jackson Browne, Nora Jones, John Prine, Otis Redding. Pretty eclectic, right? All this is to provide background for those who might offer advice, recommendations, and suggestions.

Thanks for reading this.
I used to play the sax, but six years ago my wife and I moved to a co-op apartment. That's when I switched to the flute, which I strongly recommend you consider. The flute is a beautiful instrument that can be used to play classical, jazz, and all types of popular music. I believe it's the perfect instrument for a retired person who lives in a condo or apartment.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Thank you for your insight. I appreciate it.
Gordon
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

gkaplan wrote:The problem is I live in a small condo unit, so taking up the piano probably is not an option. Also given the proximity of my neighbors, taking up the drums probably isn't an option either.
You can buy a very good digital piano for $500 or so these days. Set the volume as loud or as quiet as you'd like. Or put on some headphones and jam away all night!

Same with drums. Although entry-level electronic drums aren't quite as close to real drums as entry-level digital pianos are to real pianos. And banging away even with headphones on is not a 100% quiet endeavor! Still, something to think about.

Heck, there are digital or electric versions of just about everything these days. Yamaha makes a "silent" violin. Roland even makes a digital accordion!

But I'll also recommend the ukulele. See my post a bit further up for my reasoning.
"Stay on target! Stay on target!"
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

JupiterJones wrote:
gkaplan wrote:The problem is I live in a small condo unit, so taking up the piano probably is not an option. Also given the proximity of my neighbors, taking up the drums probably isn't an option either.
You can buy a very good digital piano for $500 or so these days. Set the volume as loud or as quiet as you'd like. Or put on some headphones and jam away all night!

Same with drums. Although entry-level electronic drums aren't quite as close to real drums as entry-level digital pianos are to real pianos. And banging away even with headphones on is not a 100% quiet endeavor! Still, something to think about.

Heck, there are digital or electric versions of just about everything these days. Yamaha makes a "silent" violin. Roland even makes a digital accordion!

But I'll also recommend the ukulele. See my post a bit further up for my reasoning.
Is the dulcimer similar to the ukele in ease of learning? The sound is quite different, but the dulcimer's is lovely. Have been hearing it often on holiday songs and I'm thinking of trying it out.
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

Fallible wrote: Is the dulcimer similar to the ukele in ease of learning? The sound is quite different, but the dulcimer's is lovely. Have been hearing it often on holiday songs and I'm thinking of trying it out.
What little I know about dulcimers is that they are tuned to an open chord and they play a diatonic scale. Thus it should be very easy to learn to play basic tunes. You can get quite sophisticated with ukeleles. I don't know if the same is true of dulcimers.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

protagonist wrote:
Fallible wrote: Is the dulcimer similar to the ukele in ease of learning? The sound is quite different, but the dulcimer's is lovely. Have been hearing it often on holiday songs and I'm thinking of trying it out.
What little I know about dulcimers is that they are tuned to an open chord and they play a diatonic scale. Thus it should be very easy to learn to play basic tunes. You can get quite sophisticated with ukeleles. I don't know if the same is true of dulcimers.
Good to know and thanks.
RoadHouseFan

Post by RoadHouseFan »

My daughter has been playing the flute for two years and had her first public recital this weekend. She sounded really good.

My son just started the saxophone in school and is picking it up just fine.

I played the trumpet in elementary school, never learned to read music properly, and decided that I hated it.

However, I think at 43 I may want to have another go. Not the trumpet. In fact, nothing that requires me to blow air. One thing I've learned over the years is that I have a knack for manipulating tools with my hands and fingers...and, even though I understand it may be an awful choice, I'm wondering if the violin may bee a good choice. I love classical music.

I would be self teaching to start.
Acoustic guitar. Learn the G, C and D chords and you will be equipped to learn how to play many songs.
Observer360

Post by Observer360 »

Take a few initial lessons at a local music store or from a teacher they recommend, using their instrument(s). If you like the experience, consider renting or buying a used instrument, bow, case, and tuning device and metronome (or use an app or two), from a music store or even a pawn shop (conditioned on an outside expert's appraisal). Hire a tutor skilled in the instrument, for at least one hour a week. Learn how to string and store the instrument. You'll have to practice at least an hour a day. Keep up the lessons with honest practice for at least three months. Either the experience will be joyful, or you can sell or donate the equipment. Low-quality instrument is OK for the start if it meets the tutor's minimal standard; up the quality if you take to it.
chemocean

Post by chemocean »

I sang in the boys choir until my voice changed early. When I was at University of Michigan, a coop member dragged everyone to the School of Music Symphony concerts, which he was in. I have loved classic music ever since. When I was in college in the 1970s, I asked my Mom why she didn't make me (a male) take piano lessons. She said that I don't want to. My five sisters said "We didn't want to either".

While I was in graduate school, I began taking piano lessons. I got up to "Home on the Range" in the Red book, until my X-large fingers starting taking down black keys while trying to hit the white key in between. Give learning an instrument a try, but you may want to pay particular attention as to whether your physical capabilities as an adult are compatible with the instrument.
random_walker_77

chemocean wrote: While I was in graduate school, I began taking piano lessons. I got up to "Home on the Range" in the Red book, until my X-large fingers starting taking down black keys while trying to hit the white key in between. Give learning an instrument a try, but you may want to pay particular attention as to whether your physical capabilities as an adult are compatible with the instrument.
For violin specifically, thick fingers, which would seem like a big liability, are not in fact a deal breaker. Despite how close the high notes are on the fingerboard, and the extreme precision required, Itzhak Perlman has no problems playing. The first time I actually saw a video of him playing, I couldn't believe it. He's got relatively thick fingers...

https://www.violinschool.org/violin-big ... all-hands/
protagonist

Post by protagonist »

I recall seeing posts here by people who were interested in learning ukelele.

Fortuitously, I just received this email. Long shot I know, but if anybody who wants to learn (or explore learning) ukelele is in shouting distance of Southern Vermont, this might interest you:

Hey Music Fans.

During the month of January, I am hosting a series of 'ukulele workshops at Main Street Arts in Saxtons River, VT. Here's the details:

Jan. 7
Intro to 'Ukulele
New to the instrument? Then this workshop is for you! Ben will lead you through the basics of 'ukulele playing including posture, introductory chords, strumming, and more.

Jan. 14
Intro to Fingerpicking
Rock, folk, blues, jazz, classical --- You can find fingerpicking in all styles of music. This workshop will explore a variety of one, two and three finger patterns and lead you through the basics of fingerpicking on the 'ukulele.

Jan. 21
Creative Strumming
As much as chords are the backbone of the song, 'ukulele strums add the spice and flavor! This workshop will lead you through the chunk, fan, and triple stroke. We'll also combine different strums to create new and interesting patterns.

Jan. 28
Beatles for 'Ukulele
The Fab Four's music falls so nicely upon the uke's fretboard. This workshop will lead you through some classics and a few selections perfect for solo arrangements.
**The last class will end with a 1 hour performance by me. Workshop participants get in free.**

Contact MSA to register. Registration is required!
Phone: 802-869-2960

Ukulele Workshops with Ben Carr
Saturdays in January, 1:00 – 3:00pm
Whole Series (4 classes) $64 members / $80 non-members
Individual Class Sign-Ups $20 members / $24 non-members
Participants must bring a ukulele to class
bowtie

Post by bowtie »

Question on piano....someone mentioned a digital. The other options are....what? A little upright for someone in an apartment? I was also thinking of just using community college practice rooms if that is possible....if one is taking piano there Can someone suggest what is a good way to do it?
Jazztonight

Post by Jazztonight »

bowtie wrote:Question on piano....someone mentioned a digital. The other options are....what? A little upright for someone in an apartment? I was also thinking of just using community college practice rooms if that is possible....if one is taking piano there. Can someone suggest what is a good way to do it?
In an actual music department, there will be a protocol and procedures for using practice rooms. My experience was that we signed up for a particular room at particular times that fit into your schedule at the beginning of the semester/quarter. I learned to sign up early to get my favorite room, time, and piano, etc. If no one else is using a room, a person could use it, but they would be "bumped" when the scheduled student showed up within the proscribed time limit, and no one ever argued about it.

If you are a matriculated student at a college, you would certainly be able to use the practice rooms there. Just ask what the procedure is. In group piano lessons, there is often a room full of electronic keyboards and headphones. YMMV. Learning an instrument really is dependent on your motivation.

If interested, you can buy a keyboard (suggestions in an earlier post), or a real upright/console piano. I live in an apartment and have a piano, but I try to be courteous re my neighbors. I also have a keyboard in another room, and can adjust the volume as needed (I also have headphones, but that's rarely needed).

If you're thinking of buying an actual piano and can afford a decent one, do so. Don't buy a low-priced new piano. In my experience this is a mistake. PM me if you'd like. You can also rent instruments.
Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

Got my rental violin from a specialty luthier. Used, Romanian made instrument. The owner of the violin shop apparently does not deal in anything from China and does not rent to schools. $30 a month and violin would sell for about $2500.

First lesson next week.

Awkward to hold and I just ordered a shoulder rest per the tutor's suggestion.

I played around for about two hours yesterday and am regretting waiting to try this for as long as I did. After sounding out by ear a few (scratchy and not quite right) notes of Vivaldi's Spring, there is no doubt this is what I want to have a go at.

Now, ask me how I feel in six months as I'm struggling to learn how to read music.
bluejello

Post by bluejello »

I picked up the guitar recently (at age 32). Never learned how to play any musical instrument nor how to read music before.

My reason for learning the guitar was to be able to play simple children's songs to my son. It's a very motivating goal, but also a very low bar. With just 4 or 5 chords I can do "twinkle twinkle little star", "itsy bitsy spider", "if you're happy and you know it", as well as a shockingly huge number of other pop songs.

The acoustic guitar has a very low learning curve for beginners. You can play a song literally within an hour or two of picking up the instrument. You'll be playing it very badly, but at least you can play a song from beginning to end and sing along and feel somewhat accomplished. Of course, if you want to actually get good at the guitar it will take years and years of hard work, just like any other instrument.

I'm still quite terrible and I'm not sure I'll ever get "good". But that's not really my goal. My baby son seems to enjoy it when I play and sing to him, and I sure love it, so to me that's a win!
random_walker_77

investingdad wrote:Got my rental violin from a specialty luthier. Used, Romanian made instrument. The owner of the violin shop apparently does not deal in anything from China and does not rent to schools. $30 a month and violin would sell for about $2500.

First lesson next week.

I played around for about two hours yesterday and am regretting waiting to try this for as long as I did. After sounding out by ear a few (scratchy and not quite right) notes of Vivaldi's Spring, there is no doubt this is what I want to have a go at.

Now, ask me how I feel in six months as I'm struggling to learn how to read music.
Congrats! But temper your expectations. Don't plan on playing Vivaldi's spring for real for years. Look for online note-reading games. You're going to need to associate each note on the staff with its name, and also with the right finger. Later on, when you learn additional positions, you'll also need to associate each note w/ different fingers.

Once you're learning to read, might I suggest this book as an inexpensive compendium of easy well-known tunes?
https://www.amazon.com/Singing-Bee-Coll ... op?ie=UTF8

Also, look into fakebooks -- they have a lot of tunes, but not always so easy. You should be able to borrow them from your local library until you figure out which ones you want to buy.

For learning to bow straight, you might consider getting this: https://www.amazon.com/Bow-Right-Violin ... =bow+right
If you use it 25-50% of the time during the first couple of months, I think you'll find it helps you figure out how you need to move your arm.

Good luck!
Topic Author
investingdad

Post by investingdad »

I'm well aware i won't be playing anything for awhile. After the initial messing around I just spent most of the time moving from open string to open string.

Since my first lesson is next week, I'm going to wait on the tutor to get me started for real.
TSR

Post by TSR »

investingdad wrote:Got my rental violin from a specialty luthier. Used, Romanian made instrument. The owner of the violin shop apparently does not deal in anything from China and does not rent to schools. $30 a month and violin would sell for about $2500.

First lesson next week.

These are the sorts of posts that make me want a "like" button. Really glad to hear it, and keep it up!
madbrain

Post by madbrain »

MossySF wrote:Think about kids learning music -- parents FORCE them to practice an hour a day. If you can dedicate similar time and effort, you will make similar progress.
There is plenty of evidence to the contrary. Kids learn much faster than adults.
http://edlab.tc.columbia.edu/index.php?q=node/10822

I certainly have found this to be the case, whether it comes to learning languages, music, new or technologies, or really anything else;
Nobody has become a concert pianist who started music as an adult, for example, and that is not an accident.

That should not stop you or anyone else from starting music as an adult, but do keep your expectations in check. Given equal time dedicated, a child will make much faster progress than an adult. The adults may have more motivation however, as they are not forced into it but doing it of their own volition, but that unfortunately does not improve learning speed - it just means the adults will be willing to spend more time at it than the children, who may be more prone to giving up as they are forced, if only to retaliate against their parents.

I tried to learn piano for 6 months as a teenager but gave up for a variety of reasons. I started to pick it up again as an adult at age 25. It's been about 15 years now. I have had several teachers. I would never recommend doing it without a teacher. I have a very limited repertoire, but it is a difficult one, mainly Bach. I play harpsichord as well. I play mostly by myself at home, and record myself. I don't give recitals. I greatly enjoy it as a solitary activity. I also have a Youtube channel with a small audience and a few tens of thousand view, PM if you want to see it - you will get an idea of the progress I have made over the years as an adult.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

First lesson next week.

I would just like to congratulate you for staying with what felt right. In the end, the best of all the well-meaning advice on this thread amounted to this: You want to play the violin? Then play the violin. It's Boglehead simple. :happy :thumbsup
JustinHEMI

Post by JustinHEMI »

I am also going to pick up an instrument as an adult. In grade, middle, and some high school, I played trumped, and I played it pretty well.

However, now that I'm 41 and I didn't keep up with it, I expect that I'll have to start from ground zero. I am hoping that music reading comes back pretty quick, but I'm not expecting miracles.

I'm going with the cello. It's my favorite instrument and I can envision myself winding down after work by playing some tunes.

Justin
leonard

Post by leonard »

JustinHEMI wrote:I am also going to pick up an instrument as an adult. In grade, middle, and some high school, I played trumped, and I played it pretty well.

However, now that I'm 41 and I didn't keep up with it, I expect that I'll have to start from ground zero. I am hoping that music reading comes back pretty quick, but I'm not expecting miracles.

I'm going with the cello. It's my favorite instrument and I can envision myself winding down after work by playing some tunes.

Justin
Good luck with the cello. I haven't tried first hand - but have read that the cello is a particular challenge versus the violin or viola. Not sure of the specifics of why.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.
MossySF

Post by MossySF »

I played Double Bass plus did some "backup" Cello in school and didn't think it was any harder than violin/viola (when messing around during off time).

I did try picking up a violin recently and my hands are too big nowadays to press down the strings with any accuracy. But my wide hands though now work very nicely for piano.