Any particular oven toaster you prefer????

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
parigi723

Any particular oven toaster you prefer????

Post by parigi723 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:09 am

Hello everyone:
I live in Fl. and during the summer month is very hot to use my gas propane stove.I'm thinking of buying a small/medium oven toaster.Any suggestions........Many thanks,parigi. :confused

lazydavid

Re: Any particular oven toaster you preffer????

Post by lazydavid » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:10 am

I've had two of this Cuisinart model over the past fifteen years. Actually the first one was smaller (not as deep), but otherwise had the same controls/design. It still worked perfectly when I sold it, though the paint had started to peel--which of course, is not a problem for a stainless unit. Our current one is roughly 9 years old, and gets used probably 8-10 times a week. The convection fan is a little noisier than new, but other than that and some grime it's indistinguishable from the day we got it.

We're throwing around the idea of moving that one downstairs to the bar, and replacing it with a Wolf countertop oven. It's crazy expensive for a "toaster" oven, but should be sufficient for anything short of a thanksgiving turkey.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:52 pm

I have a Black and Decker oven that works great. It's best feature is it small. So it does not use much counter space and there is limited hot metal to avoid while it cooks or cools off. Two knobs make it easy to use. It only has two heating rods so it is not fast to make toast but it does OK. We also use it for heating and cooking a few other things as well. I have the all stainless steel version.

http://www.sears.com/black-decker-4-sli ... lsrc=aw.ds

Good Luck.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:02 pm

Low and behold, I was just about to start researching this. My wife wants one of these for Christmas.

Does anyone have experience with the Breville brand?
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

littlebird

Post by littlebird » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:24 pm

Tycoon wrote:Low and behold, I was just about to start researching this. My wife wants one of these for Christmas.

I've had one for several years. It's adequate for my needs. I can prepare meals for 2 and bake brownies.

SeekingFI

Post by SeekingFI » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:31 pm

I've used a Breville Smart Oven as a toaster oven/secondary oven for a few years. It's far more capable than any traditional toaster oven. While it can toast, it can also bake, broil, roast, and warm. Recommended.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:35 pm

littlebird, SeekingFI, thanks. She wants to bake and cook in this thing so it's in my best interest to get one that can do those things well.

paragi723, sorry for misdirecting your thread.
...I might be just beginning | I might be near the end. Enya | | C'est la vie

BogleBoogie

Post by BogleBoogie » Sun Dec 04, 2016 2:40 pm

parigi723 wrote:Hello everyone:
I live in Fl. and during the summer month is very hot to use my gas propane stove.I'm thinking of buying a small/medium oven toaster.Any suggestions........Many thanks,parigi. :confused
That's a tough one to answer because everyone has different preferences. How do you like your buns?

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:20 pm

Tycoon wrote:Low and behold, I was just about to start researching this. My wife wants one of these for Christmas.

The Breville one I had was the best toaster I ever had. Unfortunately it stopped working one day after two years of use, and it was out of warranty. I hear when the electronics stop working, it is often fixable with a fuse replacement but I never got around to it. As great as the Breville was, it was too expensive considering it only lasted a couple years, compared to cheaper ones that seem to last forever.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:48 pm

I've had one of these Panasonic toasters for over 10 years. It uses a special technology that toasts bread very quickly. I've had a few friends order this when they see how well ours works. It's not cheap but it's worth the splurge IMO.

You can see the stellar reviews at Amazon for it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G ... sh+toaster

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:23 pm

It's been a while, but we quit using toaster ovens after two fires, both occurring with what were name-brand ovens at the time. Been too long to remember but I'm sure they were agency-certified (UL and friends).

A toaster fire is pretty scary and impressive. Because of the continuous heat source, they built momentum rapidly, and soon all the plastic parts in the toaster were burning, flame threatening to reach the cabinets above the counter, dense clouds of deep black smoke with an irritating acrid odor... too scary to consider getting close enough to it to unplug it. We keep fire extinguishers in our house, and they worked.

I don't think it was crumbs. What happened was that the gadgetry that's supposed to pop the cover open and shut off the power when a certain temperature is reached got stuck, and the door didn't open, and the oven just kept running and heating. Why this happened, I don't know. It might have been a result of grease buildup somewhere inside the mechanism, but that's just a guess. It all happened surprisingly fast.

I don't know what the lesson is here, except that toaster fires are common and dangerous... and that I personally think toaster ovens might be riskier because of the wider range of foods prepared in them, longer cooking times, and (thus) greater chance of leaving them unattended.

We have a regular toaster now, and my wife has ruled that we unplug it when were not using it, and I comply.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:33 pm

Nis, Fire hazards are why we only have the small toaster ovens. The size is small so it sets away from the wall and other flammable stuff. It does not take up much space and it is too small to cook big things. It only has two heating elements and two manual controls. I do not like the higher power bigger ovens and key pad controls. The first knob is for temperature control only. The second knob is for time. It only turns one way and that sets a manual spring driven timer. You turn it a long way and it runs for a longer time. You turn it short ways and it runs down fast. No door spring or funny turn off switches. No convection fan. No 3-6 heating elements to get really hot. Just a small oven for toast and to heat snacks. And since we don't cook big greasy stuff in it, it does not get really dirty. So no grease fires. We have two of these small toaster ovens. One is 10 years old. The other 15.

If you want to cook a meal or a pizza in my house you use the big oven that is fully insulated and built into the wall.

Good Luck.

PS. I won't go into all the reasons why I am not big fan of a lot of the modern systems and their engineering beyond saying everything does not need a computer and software and a internet connection.

FlamingoTime

Post by FlamingoTime » Sun Dec 04, 2016 11:24 pm

We are in FL also and got tired of heating up the house when using the oven. This week Kohls sent me an email saying I had a mystery percentage off - 20, 30 or 40% off. When I went to check out after buying some gifts, I saw it gave me 40% off. I promptly went back and added the Cuisine Art Convection Baker Toaster Oven. On sale for $179 and got it for $108 after additional 40% off.

I have used it to broil buffalo wings, make toast and warming so far. It can accommodate a 12" pizza, small chicken, 6 slices of toast and is supposedly good for baked goods as well.

cholan

Post by cholan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:21 am

Go Blue 99 wrote:I've had one of these Panasonic toasters for over 10 years. It uses a special technology that toasts bread very quickly. I've had a few friends order this when they see how well ours works. It's not cheap but it's worth the splurge IMO.

You can see the stellar reviews at Amazon for it.

https://smile.amazon.com/Panasonic-NB-G ... sh+toaster
I have this too. No problem in more than 10 years (with the older model).
Not only does it toast, it also the does the oven part exceptionally well with minimal time and hassle.
Of course, this will not replace the oven for large pizzas, and large roasting and baking jobs.
...leaving not a rack behind.

tom white

Post by tom white » Mon Dec 05, 2016 3:57 pm

Oddly enough, I've had the best luck with some of the less expensive brands of appliances. My microwave is from West Bend, and the toaster oven is an Oster. Both are of moderate size.

They have both worked just fine and are simple as can be. Actually, I think the simplicity of the controls adds to their reliability. For pizzas, I have a counter top Presto Pizzazz pizza oven. The pizza sets on a rotating metal plate (heating elements above and below). Love that thing.

Sometimes the "spiffier" functions and controls on the more expensive units are the first things to break, so simple suits me fine.

Lacrocious

Post by Lacrocious » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:15 am

Those of you that have suggested specific toaster ovens (Brevel, Cuisinart, etc.) Can you tell me if they Ding real loud when you stop toasting or open the oven door? That is a pet peeve - when I shop for one. Our current toaster oven - ~20 years old - has a muted ding. Those I try in the store seem to have a real loud ding. I don't need to hear it from across the house or from in the basement. We have a split ranch house, so the master bedroom is near the kitchen. If someone is sleeping - we don't want a toaster ding that can wake the dead go off. Any thoughts?
Thanks
- L

dratkinson

Post by dratkinson » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:51 am

I've been thinking about getting a toaster oven as making toast in a skillet is something of a pain. This topic just reminded me.

Went looking and found an old (YouTube) review by America's Test Kitchen in which they ranked the Breville Smart Oven (~$250) as #1, and the Hamilton Beach Set and Forget Toaster Oven with Convection as #2 (~$100).

I know nothing more about them than that.
d.r.a, not dr.a. | I'm a novice investor, you are forewarned.

krannerd

Post by krannerd » Tue Dec 06, 2016 9:58 am

lazydavid wrote:I've had two of this Cuisinart model over the past fifteen years. .
My wife got me one of these for Christmas years ago....not a big fan of it. Toasting is slow (3-4 minutes) and results are uneven. It's good for cooking things on Thanksgiving and reheating pizza....but, it was unnecessarily expensive. It does heat up much more quickly than the big oven and doesn't heat up the house.

I had a $40 Oster model in mind (or something similar)...I don't really see the benefits of spending this much money on a toaster oven.

remomnyc

Post by remomnyc » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:41 am

lazydavid wrote:I've had two of this Cuisinart model over the past fifteen years.
We got the same one 16 years ago and it is still going strong. I love that it adjusts the heat, so the first piece of toast may take 3 min but if you toast another piece right after, it only needs 2 min. The convection is also useful for quicker heating. It is larger than average and great for small pizzas, 6 slices of toast, or roasting pans of vegetables. Heats up faster than the regular oven without heating up the kitchen. I have given as a wedding gift twice and both couples still swear by theirs. Another friend bought it when her regular oven broke and rarely uses her regular oven anymore. It is expensive but given its durability and versatility, it is worth it.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:50 am

krannerd wrote:My wife got me one of these for Christmas years ago....not a big fan of it. Toasting is slow (3-4 minutes) and results are uneven. It's good for cooking things on Thanksgiving and reheating pizza....but, it was unnecessarily expensive. It does heat up much more quickly than the big oven and doesn't heat up the house.

I had a $40 Oster model in mind (or something similar)...I don't really see the benefits of spending this much money on a toaster oven.
If your primary goal is to toast bread, get a toaster. Most toaster ovens don't do anywhere near as good a job, and they are all less efficient at it. Since we toast bread less than once a month, the compromise doesn't bother me one bit. But we use the toaster oven a minimum of 10x per week for baking various things, and it works exceptionally well for that. It's also the only device I've ever owned that can reheat french fries properly.

blgaarder

Post by blgaarder » Wed Dec 07, 2016 5:50 pm

We have been very happy with the Oster extra-large toaster ovens.

Has convection feature, will cook a 14 inch pizza.

$90 to $100 at Walmart TSSTTVXLDG-002

IthinkICan

Post by IthinkICan » Wed Dec 07, 2016 6:53 pm

We've had our Breville Smart Oven for 6 years, and we've loved it. We almost never use our big oven anymore since we're usually only cooking for 2.

badbreath

Post by badbreath » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:08 pm

“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Wed Dec 07, 2016 7:44 pm

I generally use a toaster oven (really, more of a counter-top oven) much more than I use the big appliance. Even for baking small batches of cookies and muffins. For many years I relied on the Delonghi oven my brother gave me when I first moved into my house 26+ years ago. When it finally died after more than 15 years of heavy use. I replaced it with a comparable Delonghi but found that the quality was not quite as good as the older one. Currently I am using a Cuisinart.