CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
gd
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:35 am
Location: MA, USA

CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by gd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:36 am

I take international flights several times a year, always at rush hour with massive lines through immigration. It's not unbearable (typical 45 min), but just enough to miss some local transportation connections at the end of a very long day. It finally occurred to me that it might be worth it to spend a day (application interview) and $100 for a Global Entry pass. I've never thought to check the throughput at the Global Entry line. Does anyone have any experience with it as a reliable bypass of long lines at CBP and, I think, TSA? Extra points for knowledge of BOS Logan weekdays early evenings.

User avatar
8foot7
Posts: 755
Joined: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:29 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by 8foot7 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 9:45 am

Yes, it is.

masteraleph
Posts: 586
Joined: Wed Nov 04, 2009 9:45 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by masteraleph » Fri Dec 02, 2016 10:38 am

Yes, it is. Note also that if you hop on the bandwagon of the hot credit card offer (Chase Sapphire Reserve), one of the perks is that they'll reimburse the $100 fee once every 4 years, so you can even do that part for free..

krannerd
Posts: 115
Joined: Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:05 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by krannerd » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:38 am

Totally worth it...and the PreCheck benefits are very nice.

A few years ago, I did an international to domestic transit at LAX in 30 minutes (from deplanement to through security 2 terminals away). Basically, I walked up to the Global Entry kiosk, was done there in 30 seconds, handed my printout to the CBP officer on the way out the door and was through the domestic security 15 minutes later (most of that time was walking).

I just renewed my membership for another 5 years...no interview required this time.

rcsracing
Posts: 63
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:16 am
Location: Slovakia (expat)

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by rcsracing » Fri Dec 02, 2016 11:44 am

For what it's worth, I did my interview a few years ago in Dulles. I think it lasted 15 minutes.

Levett
Posts: 4177
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:10 pm
Location: upper Midwest

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Levett » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:08 pm

Works great. Well worth it.

Lev

skteam
Posts: 62
Joined: Wed Jun 24, 2015 6:03 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by skteam » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:24 pm

Yes, yes, yes. Keep in mind that global entry also gets you precheck for just a tiny bit more money. Breezing through immigration at the end of a long international flight is fantastic, even more so if it means you make a connection you might otherwise miss.

United2008
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by United2008 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:34 pm

+1000!

While I have heard good things about the new CBP app that supposedly speeds up the standard process, I think this program is still in early stage and not available at all entry points. I've used Global Entry dozens of times, without any problems and only a 1-2 person wait at most. It also ensures pre-check for most flights, which TSA sells for $80 alone (only $20 less than GE). The Amex Platinum card and the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card will reimburse the GE fee, as will some airlines if you have sufficient "elite status."

ResearchMed
Posts: 7222
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by ResearchMed » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:50 pm

gd wrote:I take international flights several times a year, always at rush hour with massive lines through immigration. It's not unbearable (typical 45 min), but just enough to miss some local transportation connections at the end of a very long day. It finally occurred to me that it might be worth it to spend a day (application interview) and $100 for a Global Entry pass. I've never thought to check the throughput at the Global Entry line. Does anyone have any experience with it as a reliable bypass of long lines at CBP and, I think, TSA? Extra points for knowledge of BOS Logan weekdays early evenings.
We are so pleased with Global Entry.

And here are two experiences with it (and without it) specifically at Logan:

Returning without GE: I needed a wheelchair. There must have been 50++ wheelchairs ahead of us in a line snaking everywhere.
And each wheelchair had an assistant "pushing" to "help". I'm surprised there was anyone to help with anything else.
It took us over an hour.
The other lines were also outrageously long.

And that's when we notice over on the other side, the Global Entry sign, with NO ONE going there. NO line.

So we signed up.

Next trip returning (through Logan, that is), and we scooted right through Global Entry with zero wait, having passed by those long, long lines of "regular" arrivals.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

260chrisb
Posts: 200
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 7:26 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by 260chrisb » Fri Dec 02, 2016 1:17 pm

I'm yet to travel out of the country since I obtained mine several years ago but every time I go to the airport and use the TSA prescreened line and walk by 200 people in the other lines I remind myself of how well the $100.00 or so was spent. The interview was easy and took less time than the online Global Entry application took.

Cruise
Posts: 621
Joined: Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:17 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Cruise » Fri Dec 02, 2016 2:53 pm

gd wrote:I take international flights several times a year, always at rush hour with massive lines through immigration. It's not unbearable (typical 45 min), but just enough to miss some local transportation connections at the end of a very long day. It finally occurred to me that it might be worth it to spend a day (application interview) and $100 for a Global Entry pass. I've never thought to check the throughput at the Global Entry line. Does anyone have any experience with it as a reliable bypass of long lines at CBP and, I think, TSA? Extra points for knowledge of BOS Logan weekdays early evenings.
Absolutely worth it, and as previous poster mentioned, several CC's will reimburse fees.

However, you must have a record of integrity that will pass the security muster. Check out some of these threads on Flyertalk:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted- ... while.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted- ... entry.html

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trusted ... entry.html

curmudgeon
Posts: 1585
Joined: Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by curmudgeon » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:04 pm

Also note that it may take a while to get your appointment for an interview... Mine is tomorrow, and it was the first available when I signed up in June! This is SFO, which seemed particularly bad on appointment availability. I might have been able to pick up a cancellation sooner, but didn't bother.

There is another program (Nexus) for Canadian border entry, which adds in a fast-track border crossing along with Global Entry and TSA (and costs less), but it is only available in a few near-border locations.

stan1
Posts: 5904
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2007 4:35 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by stan1 » Fri Dec 02, 2016 3:16 pm

It does somewhat depend. If you are flying through major hubs like ORD, LAX, EWR, IAD, etc. that have many flights arriving at the same time then absolutely yes. I usually fly into a smaller airport that has only one international flight arriving at a time. This airport also has automated self service kiosks for U.S. citizen travellers that do not have Global Entry. I've seen the Global Entry queue move slower than the regular queue many times.

stlutz
Posts: 4741
Joined: Fri Jan 02, 2009 1:08 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by stlutz » Fri Dec 02, 2016 5:39 pm

I don't have Global Entry. A few months back I arrived back in the US at EWR (on United) and there was no line despite multiple flights coming in around the same time.

User avatar
Aptenodytes
Posts: 3751
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:39 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Aptenodytes » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:03 pm

All the information to answer the question is in the OP. Convert 45 minute waits into dollars. Only you know your own exchange rate.

I have never regretted the purchase.

patrick
Posts: 1613
Joined: Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:39 am
Location: Mega-City One

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by patrick » Fri Dec 02, 2016 8:33 pm

It may not save as much time as you expect -- getting through the immigration check faster may just mean more time standing around waiting at baggage claim.

User avatar
Bylo Selhi
Posts: 1079
Joined: Mon Feb 19, 2007 10:40 pm
Location: www.bylo.org in the Great White North
Contact:

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Bylo Selhi » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:10 am

curmudgeon wrote:There is another program (Nexus) for Canadian border entry, which adds in a fast-track border crossing along with Global Entry and TSA (and costs less), but it is only available in a few near-border locations.
For completeness, there's yet another option for people who cross the border by land or sea: Enhanced Driver's License (EDL). This isn't valid for air travel, but if you cross the border regularly by car then this is worth considering for convenience alone. Most people carry their DL at all times so they don't have to remember to bring a passport/Nexus card, etc. when they want to go across the border.

Beck49
Posts: 144
Joined: Sun Nov 24, 2013 8:15 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Beck49 » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:22 am

We've flown into JFK several times without Global Entry. Always an adventure at Immigration and Customes. Here is a good description of the benefits of GE:

https://www.thrillist.com/travel/nation ... obal-entry

timmy
Posts: 723
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:57 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by timmy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 9:28 am

Yes. It is.

I've been oversees 6x this year. Rough ...

I will be signing up for it soon, over the holidays when I have time to breath.

Several folks on my team have it and it's a blessing. They recommend getting it a smaller airports. The lead times are shorter. (One got it at Edmonton in under 2 weeks. Another in Greenville ... in under 3 weeks I recall.)

User avatar
BolderBoy
Posts: 4054
Joined: Wed Apr 07, 2010 12:16 pm
Location: Colorado

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by BolderBoy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:24 am

... and I swear the TSA agents treat the preCheck folks better than those in the regular lines.
"Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities" - The Dunning-Kruger Effect

nordsteve
Posts: 645
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:23 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by nordsteve » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:25 am

Global Entry is an eligible expense for reimbursement at my employer. Might be at yours too.

TravelforFun
Posts: 1466
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by TravelforFun » Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:34 am

curmudgeon wrote:Also note that it may take a while to get your appointment for an interview... Mine is tomorrow, and it was the first available when I signed up in June! This is SFO, which seemed particularly bad on appointment availability. I might have been able to pick up a cancellation sooner, but didn't bother.
My appointment is Friday, December 9, just in time for our next international trip on the 15th.

User avatar
steadyeddy
Posts: 722
Joined: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:01 pm
Location: The Alps of the Midwest

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by steadyeddy » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:20 pm

Definitely worth it if you do even a moderate amount of international and domestic travel. It's $20/yr for hours of your life back.

Now whether I feel happy about having to pay to avoid what's been proven to be ineffective security theatre is another story...

User avatar
JDCarpenter
Posts: 1389
Joined: Tue Sep 09, 2014 2:42 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by JDCarpenter » Sat Dec 03, 2016 12:26 pm

I've posted this several times before, but unquestionably worth it to us, and we'll be renewing it this coming summer.

We don't travel much for work. Thus, to date, we only have done one international trip a year (soon to go up significantly). DW and I have little taste for waiting in lines and agree that each trip back into the US has, on its own, justified the minimal cost over precheck.
Edit Signature

hookemhorns
Posts: 69
Joined: Sat Jul 09, 2016 11:16 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by hookemhorns » Sat Dec 03, 2016 1:41 pm

Yes definitely worth it. I usually beat my bag to the baggage claim with GE and fly through customs. On a busy day, which happens all the time at DFW, you can spend 1hr+ going through regular customs. The TSA precheck you get with GE is hit or miss but a nice freebie. As mentioned earlier, many employers will reimburse global entry if you fly for work, so ask in advance.

SRenaeP
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:36 am

TravelforFun wrote:
curmudgeon wrote:Also note that it may take a while to get your appointment for an interview... Mine is tomorrow, and it was the first available when I signed up in June! This is SFO, which seemed particularly bad on appointment availability. I might have been able to pick up a cancellation sooner, but didn't bother.
My appointment is Friday, December 9, just in time for our next international trip on the 15th.
Make sure you add your Known Traveler Number to your existing reservation.

-Steph

TravelforFun
Posts: 1466
Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:05 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by TravelforFun » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:25 am

SRenaeP wrote:
TravelforFun wrote:
curmudgeon wrote:Also note that it may take a while to get your appointment for an interview... Mine is tomorrow, and it was the first available when I signed up in June! This is SFO, which seemed particularly bad on appointment availability. I might have been able to pick up a cancellation sooner, but didn't bother.
My appointment is Friday, December 9, just in time for our next international trip on the 15th.
Make sure you add your Known Traveler Number to your existing reservation.

-Steph
Thanks.

Exterous
Posts: 221
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Exterous » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:39 am

patrick wrote:It may not save as much time as you expect -- getting through the immigration check faster may just mean more time standing around waiting at baggage claim.
While true I would still say its a resounding yes although we do travel quite a bit. I'd rather wait on baggage than the teeming mass of humanity that a nearby A380 just vomited into the customs line. Just please pay attention to pre-check and global entry rules so I don't get stuck behind you while you take your laptop out at the security line and start disrobing :P

logos
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Dec 10, 2013 3:47 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by logos » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 am

Yes.

Makes the customs lines in DFW minutes instead of hours. Some ports of entry do not have it. In puerto rico it was not working but they took us though the line that was meant for aircrew and we still got through super fast.

Pre-check is nice from time to time as well. Some airports don't have it and lately I have noticed that many that do have been putting so many random people into the precheck line that it takes just as long as the regular line. Hopefully they will soon exclude those who have not paid for the service (they tend to be slow, don't understand what they are supposed to do, still take off their shoes, etc).

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by dbr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:33 am

United2008 wrote:+1000!

While I have heard good things about the new CBP app that supposedly speeds up the standard process, I think this program is still in early stage and not available at all entry points. I've used Global Entry dozens of times, without any problems and only a 1-2 person wait at most. It also ensures pre-check for most flights, which TSA sells for $80 alone (only $20 less than GE). The Amex Platinum card and the new Chase Sapphire Reserve card will reimburse the GE fee, as will some airlines if you have sufficient "elite status."
We recently used the CBP app and were personally escorted through the immigration line and the customs line as no one else presented the app and they did not yet have lines constructed for those with apps. Right to the front of a couple hundred people by walking around holding a phone up in the air.

But . . . when we interviewed for and got Global Entry they made sure we understood that if you are going through on GE you DO NOT use the app because you would be directed out of the GE line to do so.

LoveMyDog
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by LoveMyDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:46 pm

I recently came back to Logan using their Mobile Passport program. Faster than every global entry folks. I probably was the only person using it on that flight so maybe that's why. But hey, enjoy it before everybody catches on.

http://www.mobilepassport.us/

I was directed to walk straight through the GE kiosks (that felt really surreal). Following the signs and I was directed to an officer with a scanner which scans the code on my phone. Checked my passport. Done and out.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7222
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Dec 05, 2016 6:53 pm

LoveMyDog wrote:I recently came back to Logan using their Mobile Passport program. Faster than every global entry folks. I probably was the only person using it on that flight so maybe that's why. But hey, enjoy it before everybody catches on.

http://www.mobilepassport.us/
Just how does this work?

Which mobile devices can be used?
And if only Apple (or more to the point, not Blackberry), could two people each sign up on the same device?

Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

LoveMyDog
Posts: 85
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 11:14 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by LoveMyDog » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:00 pm

Go to the website I have in the post. There are instructions on downloading the app onto your phone. You'll get to see what kind of information they need (single vs family). I had the app on my phone for quite some time and I was itching to try it out. Finally I saw that it's finally available at Logan when I stepped out of the plane, I pulled out the phone, started the app and started filling things out - customs and flight info, all while walking to immigration with the rest of the crowd. By the time I reached the kiosks area, I was done, and you know the rest of my experience.

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by dbr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:03 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
LoveMyDog wrote:I recently came back to Logan using their Mobile Passport program. Faster than every global entry folks. I probably was the only person using it on that flight so maybe that's why. But hey, enjoy it before everybody catches on.

http://www.mobilepassport.us/
Just how does this work?

Which mobile devices can be used?
And if only Apple (or more to the point, not Blackberry), could two people each sign up on the same device?

Thanks!

RM
It is just the form you would fill out on paper or now at a kiosk but fillable on your device and uplinked via wifi to the authorities when you enter the customs hall. After they accept your entry your phone is your paperwork. As with those other procedures it is for the family and not just the individual. The webpage says app store and google play, so for different devices. Note the warning I posted above that using the app disables global entry as your mode of entry. My experience is also posted above.

ResearchMed
Posts: 7222
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2008 11:25 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by ResearchMed » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:08 pm

dbr wrote:
ResearchMed wrote:
LoveMyDog wrote:I recently came back to Logan using their Mobile Passport program. Faster than every global entry folks. I probably was the only person using it on that flight so maybe that's why. But hey, enjoy it before everybody catches on.

http://www.mobilepassport.us/
Just how does this work?

Which mobile devices can be used?
And if only Apple (or more to the point, not Blackberry), could two people each sign up on the same device?

Thanks!

RM
It is just the form you would fill out on paper or now at a kiosk but fillable on your device and uplinked via wifi to the authorities when you enter the customs hall. After they accept your entry your phone is your paperwork. As with those other procedures it is for the family and not just the individual. The webpage says app store and google play, so for different devices. Note the warning I posted above that using the app disables global entry as your mode of entry. My experience is also posted above.
Thanks. And thanks especially for the reminder about disabling Global Entry.
Is there a time or circumstance that you can think of when one might be "sorry" that Global Entry can't be used, but only Mobile Passport.

I'll PM you another question.
Thanks!

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by dbr » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm

ResearchMed wrote:
It is just the form you would fill out on paper or now at a kiosk but fillable on your device and uplinked via wifi to the authorities when you enter the customs hall. After they accept your entry your phone is your paperwork. As with those other procedures it is for the family and not just the individual. The webpage says app store and google play, so for different devices. Note the warning I posted above that using the app disables global entry as your mode of entry. My experience is also posted above.
Thanks. And thanks especially for the reminder about disabling Global Entry.
Is there a time or circumstance that you can think of when one might be "sorry" that Global Entry can't be used, but only Mobile Passport.

I'll PM you another question.
Thanks!

RM[/quote]

I suspect mobile passport is so new and used so little that it is hard to know the relative benefits. I think I read about it somewhere when we were in Europe last summer and I downloaded the app while we were traveling. At our port of entry they obviously knew about it but had no specific gate or line to use it, which is why they just lifted the ropes and told us to go over to some desk or another ahead of everyone else. That was by me waving my phone around saying "mobile app" to people. In that case it would have been way faster and easier than GE. I am sure this will all change or even has changed by now. I will say it was very nice to go ahead and type in all the data on the plane or before. In fact the app scans in all the travelers passports, which you can do in the hotel or anywhere whenever you want before you board the plane or even before you leave home on the trip at all. Basically you perform all the kiosk functions before you even travel instead of fighting a kiosk in the arrival hall.

User avatar
Tyrobi
Posts: 693
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 pm
Location: Florida
Contact:

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Tyrobi » Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Totally worth it, imo.
Three-fund portfolio | "Simplicity is the master key to financial success." John C. Bogle

United2008
Posts: 136
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2015 7:01 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by United2008 » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:19 pm

Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but for those who have used the CBP app - does it disable global entry entirely, or just for that one entry? For example, if I keep global entry for business use, could the family not get global entry and we just use the app when we travel together? The downside of global entry is that every family member must sign up (even infants).

dbr
Posts: 27207
Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:50 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by dbr » Wed Dec 07, 2016 4:22 pm

United2008 wrote:Sorry to take this slightly off topic, but for those who have used the CBP app - does it disable global entry entirely, or just for that one entry? For example, if I keep global entry for business use, could the family not get global entry and we just use the app when we travel together? The downside of global entry is that every family member must sign up (even infants).
The point is that when you upload the form from the app you have "entered" the system. If you were to go to a kiosk after that you would be creating a duplicate entry into the system, which can't be allowed. So, this just applies to any one entry into the country. You might well want GE for your business travel and use the app for family. I am also not sure how many ports of entry are accepting the app yet or what the rollout might be. Also note GE also includes TSA Precheck.

User avatar
Rainier
Posts: 1357
Joined: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:59 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Rainier » Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm

Just got my Global Entry card in the mail and activated it.

Application and interview process was very easy. In fact, the interview was not much of an interview at all....only thing they asked was my address.

Just a few questions:

1) I only need the card for land crossings for Canada and Mexico. Don't anticipate using this much, I assume I still need my passport as well.

2) For flying I should enter my PASSID (aka, known travel number) when buying the ticket. This will get me TSA Pre where available?

3) When returning to the US on an international flight I just need to go straight to the Global Entry kiosk and it will know I am in the program just by scanning my passport?

4) I see membership is for 5 years, but it really looks like it is for 5 years from my next birthday. In my case, that works out closer to 6 years for this round.

BeneIRA
Posts: 485
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 8:43 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by BeneIRA » Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Rainier wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Just got my Global Entry card in the mail and activated it.

Application and interview process was very easy. In fact, the interview was not much of an interview at all....only thing they asked was my address.

Just a few questions:

1) I only need the card for land crossings for Canada and Mexico. Don't anticipate using this much, I assume I still need my passport as well.

2) For flying I should enter my PASSID (aka, known travel number) when buying the ticket. This will get me TSA Pre where available?

3) When returning to the US on an international flight I just need to go straight to the Global Entry kiosk and it will know I am in the program just by scanning my passport?

4) I see membership is for 5 years, but it really looks like it is for 5 years from my next birthday. In my case, that works out closer to 6 years for this round.
1. You do still need the passport or a passport card. The Global Entry card, theoretically, gets you through customs back into the U.S. faster for land crossings, but I have noticed no difference and my entry points don't have the expedited lanes, so its value is minimal there.

2. Go onto each of your frequent flyer accounts and enter your Known Traveler Number. When you book flights, always use it. You should get PreCheck every time.

3. Most airports have a kiosk. The bigger ones have a Global Entry section and you just go to that, scan your passport, fingerprint scan, then there should be an expedited line you go through. Fort Lauderdale, for instance, has the everyone kiosks, then a Global Entry kiosk later on.

4. Good work.

harrychan
Posts: 1412
Joined: Sun Nov 14, 2010 9:37 pm
Location: Pasadena

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by harrychan » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:30 pm

Rainier wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm

4) I see membership is for 5 years, but it really looks like it is for 5 years from my next birthday. In my case, that works out closer to 6 years for this round.
Correct! That's what happened to me and I got mine just after my birthday so I almost get it for 6 years.

Also, global entry comes with TSA pre-check so it's an added bonus.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

neilpilot
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:46 pm
Location: Memphis area

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by neilpilot » Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:42 pm

Haven't found the need to pay for the Global Entry program.

I use my own plane for most of my domestic air travel, but still fly the airlines for some longer haul domestic and our once or twice a year trips to Europe. Maybe we've just been lucky, but have found that the majority of times we get TSA precheck on our domestic boarding pass.

When returning to the USA from Europe, we use the free Mobile Passport app and it has worked very well. For example, we returned from the UK to Boston Logan last week. The app allowed us to skip completing the paper customs declaration and also skip the normal passport check lines. We were shuttled into a Mobile Passport line that had only one party ahead of us. Global Entry wouldn't have saved us any time over the free app.

We had a similar experience returning from Madrid in March 2017.

User avatar
TimeRunner
Posts: 1388
Joined: Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:23 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by TimeRunner » Sat Mar 24, 2018 9:38 pm

Just breezed thru LAX Immigration and Customs with Global Entry, making our regional bus connection just in time. That just paid for all the hassle of getting it. :)
"...There're just so many summers, and just so many springs." -Don Henley "What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

SRenaeP
Posts: 752
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by SRenaeP » Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:35 am

Rainier wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Just got my Global Entry card in the mail and activated it.

Application and interview process was very easy. In fact, the interview was not much of an interview at all....only thing they asked was my address.

Just a few questions:

1) I only need the card for land crossings for Canada and Mexico. Don't anticipate using this much, I assume I still need my passport as well.

2) For flying I should enter my PASSID (aka, known travel number) when buying the ticket. This will get me TSA Pre where available?

3) When returning to the US on an international flight I just need to go straight to the Global Entry kiosk and it will know I am in the program just by scanning my passport?

4) I see membership is for 5 years, but it really looks like it is for 5 years from my next birthday. In my case, that works out closer to 6 years for this round.
Re item 1, you should also take your card for flights departing Canada coming to the US. In certain airports, you actually clear US Customs upon departure. The Canadians will want to see your GE card to allow you into the GE line.

-Steph

User avatar
Artful Dodger
Posts: 438
Joined: Thu Oct 20, 2016 12:56 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by Artful Dodger » Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:48 am

SRenaeP wrote:
Sun Mar 25, 2018 9:35 am
Rainier wrote:
Sat Mar 24, 2018 6:41 pm
Just got my Global Entry card in the mail and activated it.

Application and interview process was very easy. In fact, the interview was not much of an interview at all....only thing they asked was my address.

Just a few questions:

1) I only need the card for land crossings for Canada and Mexico. Don't anticipate using this much, I assume I still need my passport as well.

2) For flying I should enter my PASSID (aka, known travel number) when buying the ticket. This will get me TSA Pre where available?

3) When returning to the US on an international flight I just need to go straight to the Global Entry kiosk and it will know I am in the program just by scanning my passport?

4) I see membership is for 5 years, but it really looks like it is for 5 years from my next birthday. In my case, that works out closer to 6 years for this round.
Re item 1, you should also take your card for flights departing Canada coming to the US. In certain airports, you actually clear US Customs upon departure. The Canadians will want to see your GE card to allow you into the GE line.

-Steph
We just completed our interview Thursday. Total time for my wife and I together was maybe 20 minutes. I received notice my membership was valid til September 2018, five years from my next birthday. With the automatic TSA pre check it really seems like a no brainier. Our airline miles card reimbursed the fee as well.

pejp
Posts: 112
Joined: Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:12 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by pejp » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:02 pm

I've had mine a while and haven't used it yet! My wife and I both wanted to get TSA pre, but as I'm not a US citizen, I HAVE to get Global Entry to be able to get TSA Pre, so I had both and she only had Pre. On our last international trip when we arrived back to a long immigration line, I casually suggested to her that I should try out my global entry pass and meet her on the other side, and the death stare I got made me decide that maybe it wasn't worth it. She's now got Global Entry, so at least we'll be able to use it for our next trip!

THY4373
Posts: 754
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2012 3:17 pm

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by THY4373 » Mon Mar 26, 2018 12:14 pm

I got it for myself, my ex (when she was already my ex) and my son. All reimbursed by one CC or another. This January on my flight back from Santiago Chile I was the first person to clear customs and immigration that morning in Atlanta thanks to Global Entry. I really miss TSA pre when I travel a foreign carrier (looking at you BA) from the US that doesn't work with program.

bberris
Posts: 1062
Joined: Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:44 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by bberris » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:24 pm

This is sort of a status symbol. If your employer pays for it, go for it. We get TSA precheck almost all the time without it. I'm not sure why, but I suspect it's because of our birthdays being in the distant past. I've never experienced long waits getting into the US, but I have had long lines in Mexico, France, and Italy, but it's no help there.

nepats
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:56 am

Re: CBP (INS) Global Entry program worth it?

Post by nepats » Mon Mar 26, 2018 3:27 pm

Yes and depending on how much you fly domestically, the TSA PreCheck alone is worth it. Lot's of credit card companies pay the Global Entry fee as well.

Post Reply