Gas range and refrigerator suggestions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Gemini

Gas range and refrigerator suggestions?

Post by Gemini »

Parents are looking for new appliances. They currently have an old gas range and a fridge. Budget is about 1K for range and about 1.5K or so for the fridge. They cook quite a bit and don't want anything electric. Fridge is an issue as they have limited space, only 65.5inch height.

They came across this range: http://www.jcpenney.com/samsung-58-cu-f ... 5006590063

Any idea if that is a good gas range?

Any suggestions on what to get and from where?
Topic Author
Gemini

Re: Gas range and refrigerator suggestions?

Post by Gemini »

adamthesmythe

Post by adamthesmythe »

I would have bought one rather like the Samsung. However, my old Jenn-air had a non-typical install. Ended up fixing it, even though old and not a very satisfactory unit.

I do strongly recommend a convection oven (which the Samsung has). This opens up many cooking options that will be appreciated by those who do cooking.
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

adamthesmythe wrote:I would have bought one rather like the Samsung. However, my old Jenn-air had a non-typical install. Ended up fixing it, even though old and not a very satisfactory unit.

I do strongly recommend a convection oven (which the Samsung has). This opens up many cooking options that will be appreciated by those who do cooking.
Yes convection is a must.

Another one: https://www.lowes.com/pd/Samsung-5-Burn ... n/50201531

So hard to pick. So many options!
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

Check out Consumer Reports, either library or online, for reliability ratings. Some quibble with the validity of CR reliability ratings, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

Church Lady wrote:Check out Consumer Reports, either library or online, for reliability ratings. Some quibble with the validity of CR reliability ratings, but it's better than nothing.

Good luck!
I tried online, but don't have a login
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

When buying appliances, I call the local repair shops and see A) what brands they will repair and B) what brands they repair most often. That generally steers me in the right direction.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Regarding the gas range, anecdotally we had a horrible experience with Samsung on a gas range. Customer service was absolutely terrible. Based on this experience, I will never buy another Samsung product. Your mileage may vary, of course. The range we purchased was highly rated in CR.
"Worrying is like paying interest on a debt that you might never owe" -- Will Rogers
tacster

Post by tacster »

Gemini wrote:Parents are looking for new appliances. They currently have an old gas range and a fridge. Budget is about 1K for range and about 1.5K or so for the fridge. They cook quite a bit and don't want anything electric. Fridge is an issue as they have limited space, only 65.5inch height.

They came across this range: http://www.jcpenney.com/samsung-58-cu-f ... 5006590063

Any idea if that is a good gas range?
Just purchased that exact range. So far it's working great. Heats up very quickly. Big improvement over my old builder grade range. Can't speak to reliability yet as I've only had it a couple weeks.

Be aware these modern high powered gas ovens do emit quite a bit of heat from the vent when in use. It's best to have a good range hood (not microwave) above to remove excess heat. There's a separate thread on this subject: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=203780
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I would not buy Samsung or LG appliances personally.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Topic Author
Gemini

Post by Gemini »

How does it work when you buy a gas range? DO they come and hook it up?

Also, any idea if worth it to purchase the extended service plans?
badbreath

Post by badbreath »

for the fridge look at Whirlpool, Maytag they have some that height. I dont know about cooking but I would not be looking at Samsung or LG I hear if you do have a issue and they need to replace a part it can take month.
“While money can’t buy happiness, it certainly lets you choose your own form of misery.” Groucho Marx
Lovely Rita

Post by Lovely Rita »

Gemini wrote:How does it work when you buy a gas range? DO they come and hook it up?
You will need to decide if you want to hire someone yourself for removal/disposal of the old range, and hook-up of the new range. Ask the salesperson at the store what they will charge to do these things.
Maid of the Mist

Post by Maid of the Mist »

Be sure you check your door clearance for the refrigerator. In our case, we wanted an in-door water/ice dispenser and there was only one choice that offered the dispenser and also allowed clearance for emptying the ice tray.