To provide more context, I actually don't think we need software for doing research and getting information about family history; we actually have some good local sources of information. Instead, what I'm looking for is software or (ideally) an online service to organize the information we do have -- things like creating a family tree, annotating individuals with anecdotes from their life, etc.
More concretely, all this information is in one person's head, and we'd like to get the information stored in an easily accessible, easily share-able manner.
To provide more information about requirements:
- should be easy to use for non-sophisticated computer users
- Web interface or support for iOS (iPad). Cloud storage a big plus.
- should be capable of creating graphical family trees
- must accept user-provided information (e.g. dates of birth and death), not just information obtained from proprietary sources
- capability to export to open formats (XML, JSON, or some lingua franca format in genealogy) would be nice to have