Trailer on an Odyssey? [Is an Odyssey even the right choice?]

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
corysold

Trailer on an Odyssey? [Is an Odyssey even the right choice?]

Post by corysold »

I have 6 kids and a Honda Odyssey. They are all under 9, so as of now, there is enough room, though the trunk space isn't the biggest.

However, I can already tell that the storage won't be sufficient in the future, though I'm guessing the passenger space will be fine, though tight.

I've looked at Suburbans and the like and they are well beyond my budget.

How practical would putting a tow hitch on the van and having a small covered trailer available for vacations, big sports weekends, overnight camping trips etc. be? I've never used a trailer, so I've no idea how easy they are to get on/off. I'm picturing a 5-6' long, 3-4' wide type of thing. Not huge, just enough for suitcases, sports gear, etc. that won't fit in the trunk. Is that a reasonable solution for needing more space, but not wanting to shell out big bucks for a huge SUV?
Last edited by corysold on Mon Nov 28, 2016 9:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carson

Re: Trailer on an Odyssey?

Post by Carson »

As an alternate, they make 'tow hitch cargo carriers' that while most of them aren't covered, they might provide the storage space you need without adding a backup behemoth. Low entry price point as well.
flossy21

Post by flossy21 »

It could work. You need to get into the owners manual for the Odyssey and see what kind of towing capacity Honda has it rated to haul. Then buy and install a hitch that is appropriate to that capacity. It's probably best to have a pro do this. Maybe even the Honda dealership.

Hauling 6 kids and 2 adults plus all their gear is quite a bit of weight. You might have to beef up the suspension on that Odyssey to do it.

Keep in mind you will have to insure and license a trailer plus pay personal property taxes on it.

You could do a roof rack or a hitch rack like the one in the link below and then decide on a trailer later if you need more space?

https://www.amazon.com/SportRack-SR9849 ... B00R6SBS0U
Svensk Anga

Post by Svensk Anga »

The trailer can be a very practical way to increase hauling volume and get by with a smaller car for the 95% of the time you don't need it. Don't know about the Odyssey for towing but my V6 small SUV does fine with a light trailer. There are some issues:

Backing up with a trailer can be challenging for first timers. The longer the trailer, the easier it becomes. Find a spacious lot to practice in. Before you head into a tight spot, think about how you are going to get out.
Parking can be problematic. Restaurants, hotels, etc often do not have long spaces available. At rest stops, you park with the big rigs. At big box stores and grocery stores there are often two spaces in-line end-to-end that you can use, in the far reaches of the lot.
NE states really stick it to those towing trailers on tolls. It doesn't matter if its a 8' utility trailer weighing a few hundred pounds or a 25' boat, it costs the same.
A place to store it when not in use could be a problem.
Its one more registration fee to pay every year.
Think through whether you can get by with a roof rack carrier instead to avoid the above issues. Maybe you could use one of those carriers that mount on a 2" receiver hitch instead, if roof access is out.

It is very easy to attach or remove a light trailer. If light enough (<1000 pounds), they can be moved around manually, at least on hard level ground. Have wheel chocks handy. A jack on the trailer tongue with a caster wheel helps. In addition to the hitch, your van will need a wiring harness for connecting the trailer lights.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

With six kids, I would start looking at full size vans.

The new Transits look great, and with the low roof model you can still fit in parking garages.

Here is an example for just over $21k

https://cargur.us/cZfHd
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

Shouldn't be a problem. The current Odyssey (not sure how old yours is) is rated for 3,500 lbs, but be aware that this is for everything except the driver. So subtract the total weight of your spouse and 6 kids, plus any stuff they bring inside the van to find the actual value. The smallest enclosed trailer U-Haul rents is a 4' x 8', unless you can find their sport trailer, which I've become convinced does not actually exist. The 4' x 8' weighs 850lbs empty, and can be up to 2500lbs when loaded. So as long as the average weight of person + stuff is under 150lbs or so, you can load up as much as you want.

Some tips:
--Change your transmission fluid now, and every year or so from here on out. Drain & Fill is fine, as long as it's done regularly. From what I read, this is pretty easy on the Odyssey.
--If your van did not come with the towing package, have a transmission cooler installed. This should cost you about $200.
--If possible, use a trailer with its own brakes. May not be possible at this size. The U-Haul I Identified above does not have brakes.
--Consider an air suspension to help support the rear end
--Keep the tongue weight at around 10-15% of the total trailer weight.
--Spend some time in an empty parking lot learning how to maneuver. It's not hard, per se, but is counter-intuitive and takes some getting used to.

Hooking it up shouldn't be terribly difficult, as at this weight a couple of people can muscle it around pretty easily. So you don't have to be 100% perfect backing up to the trailer, just get close.

Professionally equipped, an Odyssey can tow quite a bit:

https://www.instagram.com/p/uBKIjXqt5h/

Note that the above rig, which includes a custom-designed load-leveling hitch, was set up and carefully tuned by towing experts and is not something one should expect to be able to do by throwing a $130 curt hitch on a stock Odyssey.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

You might also consider looking at a rooftop cargo carrier. You should be able to install aftermarket roof racks; factory roof racks aren't needed. You can get the hard aerodynamic ones that open like a clamshell from the side (Thule/Yakima), or you can get a $50 one from Walmart that is just a huge bag to strap to some bars on the roof; there are a lot of options at different price points. Not sure about the Walmart one, but you get the idea... Be sure to check what the weight limit is and if it'll serve your purpose. With my vehicle, both the factory roof rack and an aftermarket one are rated at 165 lbs; that's enough to store 2 more kids! :D

The nice thing about a rooftop carrier is that it distributes a more of the weight/load to the front tires on an already low-clearance vehicle vs a trailer.
Last edited by SurferLife on Mon Nov 28, 2016 8:56 am, edited 3 times in total.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

I am not a fan of using high profile, low weight vehicles such as minivans for towing. If you do do this be conservative on the weight limits and try to use as low of a trailer profile/center of gravity as possible.

A few years ago I witnessed an accident where a minivan towing a full sized camper trailer being driven by an inexperienced driver was blown off of the interstate and both flipped. They couldn't get one of the girls in the van out of her car seat and she burned to death.
researcher

Post by researcher »

KlingKlang wrote:I am not a fan of using high profile, low weight vehicles such as minivans for towing. If you do do this be conservative on the weight limits and try to use as low of a trailer profile/center of gravity as possible.

A few years ago I witnessed an accident where a minivan towing a full sized camper trailer being driven by an inexperienced driver was blown off of the interstate and both flipped. They couldn't get one of the girls in the van out of her car seat and she burned to death.
I'm not sure how your story has any relevance at all to the OP.
You must have missed this part of the post...
I'm picturing a 5-6' long, 3-4' wide type of thing. Not huge, just enough for suitcases, sports gear, etc. that won't fit in the trunk.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

lazydavid wrote:Shouldn't be a problem. The current Odyssey (not sure how old yours is) is rated for 3,500 lbs, but be aware that this is for everything except the driver. So subtract the total weight of your spouse and 6 kids, plus any stuff they bring inside the van to find the actual value. The smallest enclosed trailer U-Haul rents is a 4' x 8', unless you can find their sport trailer, which I've become convinced does not actually exist. The 4' x 8' weighs 850lbs empty, and can be up to 2500lbs when loaded. So as long as the average weight of person + stuff is under 150lbs or so, you can load up as much as you want.
I think you are mixing up towing rating, and payload.

A 2010 Odyssey had the following ratings

Towing Capacity 3,500
Payload 1,500(1,312- 1,565 lbs) depending on options

The trailer tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight, and counts against payload. So for example

2 Adults 350lbs
6 Children 600lbs
Trailer Tongue 350lbs
Total 1300lbs

Depending on the options of your Van, you will be at max capacity before loading any luggage into the van. If all the luggage was in the trailer you would technically be ok, but running any vehicle right at the limit is at best stressful, and at worst dangerous.
Topic Author
corysold

Post by corysold »

PowDay wrote:
lazydavid wrote:Shouldn't be a problem. The current Odyssey (not sure how old yours is) is rated for 3,500 lbs, but be aware that this is for everything except the driver. So subtract the total weight of your spouse and 6 kids, plus any stuff they bring inside the van to find the actual value. The smallest enclosed trailer U-Haul rents is a 4' x 8', unless you can find their sport trailer, which I've become convinced does not actually exist. The 4' x 8' weighs 850lbs empty, and can be up to 2500lbs when loaded. So as long as the average weight of person + stuff is under 150lbs or so, you can load up as much as you want.
I think you are mixing up towing rating, and payload.

Towing Capacity 3,500

The trailer tongue weight should be 10% of the trailer weight, and counts against payload. So for example

2 Adults 350lbs
6 Children 600lbs
Trailer Tongue 350lbs
Total 1300lbs

Depending on the options of your Van, you will be at max capacity before loading any luggage into the van. If all the luggage was in the trailer you would technically be ok, but running any vehicle right at the limit is at best stressful, and at worst dangerous.
Hmmm. That could change things. Just looked at the sticker on the door and the van is rated for 1,340 pounds.

Doing some math, I imagine a family of 8 with 4 boys in the teenage years is going to be pushing 1,200-1,300 pounds just in people. So it appears that moving forward, the Odyssey might not be the best vehicle, even for just running to the grocery store in the future, though we are still a few years from that point.

I don't know a whole lot about cars, but even assuming there is a bit of leeway there, as you said, that still isn't good running a vehicle at full capacity all the time.

So potentially changing gears, do you guys think the Odyssey is even the right van moving forward? It seems it is right on the edge of usefulness.

If something would be better, would it make sense to make the switch now or down the road. I'd probably come out a few thousand ahead in a trade right now, so should I think about doing something now, so any payments I make are at least on the long term vehicle vs. paying off the van, but not having it be worth much in a trade in a few years and starting all over? We only do about 8,000-10,000 miles a year now, so I'm hoping whatever vehicle I end up with (or stick with the van) will be with us for 15+ years.
ThankYouJack

Re: Trailer on an Odyssey? [Is an Odyssey even the right choice?]

Post by ThankYouJack »

A big trailer is going to kill gas mileage, add more wear and tear, be more expensive (including the required car upgrades), and be more dangerous. And those will all be amplified on long trips will hilly terrain.

Definitely check the brake specs as even a lot of SUVs have a max of 1,000 lbs unless the trailer has trailer brakes. Also, if you're maxing things out, you'll want to drive slow (like 45 mph instead of 65mph) because stopping distance will be greater and you won't want to jack knife going down hill.

Going with a roof cargo carrier and hitch rack is a much better option in my opinion. Or if you need a ton of additional space a couple times a year, just take two cars or rent a big van.
Last edited by ThankYouJack on Mon Nov 28, 2016 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

Ford Transit
Nissan NV
Mercedes Sprinter
Mercedes Metris
Chevy Express

I would go drive them and see what you like. These are big vehicles, so small things like seating position will impact how they are to drive.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

PowDay wrote:I think you are mixing up towing rating, and payload.

Towing Capacity 3,500

2 Adults 350lbs
6 Children 600lbs
Trailer Tongue 350lbs
Total 1300lbs

No, I'm not mixing them up. The owner's manual has very explicit examples of how the towing capacity is reduced, pound for pound, with each passenger (driver does not count) or pound of cargo inside the passenger compartment. In my example of 150lbs average for each person + stuff, that comes to 1050lbs total. That means the maximum trailer weight is 2450lbs, and the maximum tongue weight would be 450lbs. Since 10% of 2450 is 245, there's no problem. Especially since it's unlikely that the trailer will actually weigh that much--1800lbs is a positively absurd amount of luggage.

A better way to word it is that the total hauling capacity is 3500lbs, of which up to 1500lbs can be in the cabin.

Edit: Just found that you can get the entire Towing Package for less than $800 if the vehicle is not already equipped: http://www.hondapartsdeals.com/product_ ... ge-odyssey

Includes receiver, hitch, draw bar, transmission cooler and power steering cooler, and ducting for the coolers.
Last edited by lazydavid on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:27 am, edited 2 times in total.
lthenderson

Post by lthenderson »

Having towed a trailer with a minivan for many years, here's my take. It can be done. However, there are things I didn't like about it. For one, backing was a pain unless you have a rearview camera or had a big enough load you could see it in your rearview mirror. I didn't have a rearview camera and if I couldn't see the load, the only way to back up was using side mirrors. Because the trailer was a bit narrower than the van, I was always behind the eightball by the time I could see it going in the opposite direction. It can be done. It is just time consuming.

Secondly, the trailer I had and most small utility trailers I see have small tires on them. If I had a dollar for every tire on the trailer I blew up going on vacation, I would be much richer than I am now. It got to the point where if going on a long trip, I didn't feel safe unless I had two spares with me. They don't last long. They bounce really bad going down the road. I finally built a trailer with an axle and normal sized tires and was much happier.

Finally, trailers are hard to waterproof. Tarps flap, rip and shred and the bottom of your trailer becomes a shallow pond. You try to put your water sensitive stuff inside and the rest outside, but it always seemed as if we had more water sensitive stuff than not. When raining, we ended up being crammed to the ceiling in the van with just a few things in the bottom of the trailer.

I eventually went to putting a decent rack on top and hauling things up there. Although I could no longer fit in the garage, I was much happier because it was much nicer to put on miles with the load on top and not being pulled behind. I found that the extra height didn't bother me on vacations since I never park in garages on vacations and rarely use parking ramps and when I get home, I just unbolt the thing and toss it in the corner.
Rupert

Post by Rupert »

ThankYouJack wrote:A big trailer is going to kill gas mileage, add more wear and tear, be more expensive (including the required car upgrades), and be more dangerous. And those will all be amplified on long trips will hilly terrain.

Definitely check the brake specs as even a lot of SUVs have a max of 1,000 lbs unless the trailer has trailer brakes. Also, if you're maxing things out, you'll want to drive slow (like 45 mph instead of 65mph) because stopping distance will be greater and you won't want to jack knife going down hill.

Going with a rough cargo carrier and hitch rack is a much better option in my opinion. Or if you need a ton of additional space a couple times a year, just take two cars or rent a big van.
+1. Once you factor in the cost of the decreased gas mileage, the cost of the trailer, and the aggravation of pulling a trailer, you'll likely come out ahead by just trading the Odyssey and buying a larger van.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

lazydavid wrote:
No, I'm not mixing them up. The owner's manual has very explicit examples of how the towing capacity is reduced with each passenger (driver does not count) or pound of cargo inside the passenger compartment. In my example of 150lbs average for each person + stuff, that comes to 1050lbs total. That means the maximum trailer weight is 2450lbs, and the maximum tongue weight would be 450lbs. Since 10% of 2450 is 245, he's all good. Especially since it's unlikely that the trailer will actually weigh that much--1800lbs is a positively absurd amount of luggage.

A better way to word it is that the total hauling capacity is 3500lbs, of which up to 1500lbs can be in the cabin.

Link to Owners Manual http://techinfo.honda.com/rjanisis/pubs ... 1010OM.pdf

Page 379 -380 Cargo Information

Page 405 Towing Information

I think we are both right, in the cargo section of the manual, it clearly outlines that trailer tongue weight counts as payload, this is standard across all vehicles. But Honda is also lowering the towing capacity independent of tongue weight as the number of passengers increases.

Because a minivan is a light duty vehicle, Honda is saying that it can either haul people/cargo, or tow a trailer but not both. A heavier duty vehicle would not see towing capacity decrease, as long as total payload inclusive of tongue weight is within the limits.

OP, this is showing that you definitly can't haul people and tow at the same time, the van just isn't built for that.
randomguy

Post by randomguy »

PowDay wrote:Ford Transit
Nissan NV
Mercedes Sprinter
Mercedes Metris
Chevy Express

I would go drive them and see what you like. These are big vehicles, so small things like seating position will impact how they are to drive.
Long term this is probably the solution. I think that the Odyssey will like be uncomfortably crowded passenger seat wise when you have 2 adults, 6 kids when the older kids are like 16 and the youngest ones are 8+ for long drives. Of course it might turn out by the time you hit that age range, you are rarely doing trips with everyone. And trailers are OK for things like road trips but when you take the kids to practice because their gear doesn't fit, that sounds like a real pain. Roof racks are a bit easier but still not as easy as throwing stuff in the back.

Personally I don't think you want to drive any of the above long term though as dealing with a car of that size is a bit of a pain just in terms of things like not fitting in garages or parking spaces. Seems like the type of thing you buy used, drive for the 4 or 5 years of max kiddage, and then downsize back to the minivan. Of course some people drive things like F150s for fun so it is a pretty personal choice.
researcher

Post by researcher »

Rupert wrote:
ThankYouJack wrote:A big trailer is going to kill gas mileage, add more wear and tear, be more expensive (including the required car upgrades), and be more dangerous. And those will all be amplified on long trips will hilly terrain.

Going with a rough cargo carrier and hitch rack is a much better option in my opinion. Or if you need a ton of additional space a couple times a year, just take two cars or rent a big van.
+1. Once you factor in the cost of the decreased gas mileage, the cost of the trailer, and the aggravation of pulling a trailer, you'll likely come out ahead by just trading the Odyssey and buying a larger van.
Did either of you read the initial post?

The OP is considering a 5ft long x 3ft wide trailer to be used for "vacations, big sports weekends, overnight camping trips."
So this very small trailer would likely be used at most maybe a dozen times per year.

How will the OP come out ahead buy buying a larger, full-size van?
Such a van will be considerably more expensive and likely get worse gas mileage than the Odyssey without a trailer.
Yet they will be driving this huge gas hog around 365 days a year, when they only need the benefits of the van 12 days/year.
new2bogle

Post by new2bogle »

I have a 2015 Odyssey (that I have never towed with) and received a bulletin from Honda saying that the tow capacity in the owner's manual is incorrect. It was listed as higher than should be. You should double check that the owner's manual written capacity is correct for your model year.
Topic Author
corysold

Post by corysold »

Thank you for the help and technical answers regarding tow capacities.

We currently owe $14,000 on the van. It should trade for $15-16, private party maybe a bit more.

So does it make sense to keep paying on the van, knowing it probably isn't the right car long term, or to get what I can in a trade and find the cheapest solution from what has been recommended? To me, it makes sense to pay towards the vehicle that will work for the next 10 years vs. continuing to pay on the van that likely won't.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

corysold wrote:Thank you for the help and technical answers regarding tow capacities.

We currently owe $14,000 on the van. It should trade for $15-16, private party maybe a bit more.

So does it make sense to keep paying on the van, knowing it probably isn't the right car long term, or to get what I can in a trade and find the cheapest solution from what has been recommended? To me, it makes sense to pay towards the vehicle that will work for the next 10 years vs. continuing to pay on the van that likely won't.

Are you a one car household or two?
Ping Pong

Post by Ping Pong »

PULMOR makes small trailers that keep your things dry. The tongue weight is 32 pounds.
Topic Author
corysold

Post by corysold »

PowDay wrote:
corysold wrote:Thank you for the help and technical answers regarding tow capacities.

Are you a one car household or two?
We also own a Prius with 188,000 miles that is paid off.
Topic Author
corysold

Post by corysold »

Ping Pong wrote:PULMOR makes small trailers that keep your things dry. The tongue weight is 32 pounds.
This is almost exactly what I was picturing. Essentially a tow behind storage compartment for another trunk.
PowDay

Post by PowDay »

corysold wrote: We also own a Prius with 188,000 miles that is paid off.
With six kids, having two vehicles with three rows would be convenient, and the Prius probably only has a few more years left in it.

I would accelerate payments on on the Odyssey, and once it's paid off buy a lightly used full size van for around $25k. This sets you up into a nice pattern of owning cars for 10 years each but offsetting them by 5 years. This way you always have a "Newer" car available, and you never have two car payments at the same time.
researcher

Post by researcher »

corysold wrote:
Ping Pong wrote:PULMOR makes small trailers that keep your things dry. The tongue weight is 32 pounds.
This is almost exactly what I was picturing. Essentially a tow behind storage compartment for another trunk.
Much of the anti-trailer advice you've received is unfounded. Just spend a few minutes reviewing this site...
http://eco-trailers.com/pulmor-lightweight-trailers.php

Unlike what many have said, this type of trailer will NOT result in horrible fuel economy, be unsafe to tow, add considerable wear/tear, require trailer brakes, ect.

You seem to be a good candidate for such a trailer. Why buy a more expensive, larger van that gets worse fuel economy for the ~10 days a year that you need more storage space?
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

PowDay wrote:I would accelerate payments on on the Odyssey, and once it's paid off buy a lightly used full size van for around $25k. This sets you up into a nice pattern of owning cars for 10 years each but offsetting them by 5 years. This way you always have a "Newer" car available, and you never have two car payments at the same time.
This part is huge. When my wife and I met, we both had brand-new MY2000 cars. By the time we were married in 2003, both were paid off. But we wanted to get into the alternating cycle that PowDay describes, so we replaced my wife's early, in 2007--we were having our first child, so the convertible wasn't the most practical choice going forward anyway--and replaced mine 5 years later with a 2011, both low-mileage demos. Next year we're replacing hers, and mine will come around about 5 years later.

We'll never have more than one car payment, and most of the time won't have one at all--my wife tires of loans, and pays them off early. :mrgreen: Plus one car will pretty much always be under warranty, which limits our risk of "surprises".
Topic Author
corysold

Post by corysold »

lazydavid wrote:
PowDay wrote:I would accelerate payments on on the Odyssey, and once it's paid off buy a lightly used full size van for around $25k. This sets you up into a nice pattern of owning cars for 10 years each but offsetting them by 5 years. This way you always have a "Newer" car available, and you never have two car payments at the same time.
This part is huge. When my wife and I met, we both had brand-new MY2000 cars. By the time we were married in 2003, both were paid off. But we wanted to get into the alternating cycle that PowDay describes, so we replaced my wife's early, in 2007--we were having our first child, so the convertible wasn't the most practical choice going forward anyway--and replaced mine 5 years later with a 2011, both low-mileage demos. Next year we're replacing hers, and mine will come around about 5 years later.

We'll never have more than one car payment, and most of the time won't have one at all--my wife tires of loans, and pays them off early. :mrgreen: Plus one car will pretty much always be under warranty, which limits our risk of "surprises".
This is where we hope to get to eventually. The Prius gets about 38,000 miles/year right now, so I'm hoping to get 2-3 more years (or find a better job) then be able to cycle cars like you mention.
nordsteve

Post by nordsteve »

We were faced with a similar situation with two kids and a Honda Civic as our over-the-road car. We ended up buying a rack and a roof box, which delayed our purchase of a minivan by three years. The roof rack/box setup cost about the same as one monthly payment on the van.

My recommendation to the OP would be start by using a roof box / hitch rack. You can get into a hitch rack for under $200, and a decent roof box is ~$3-400. Both will last you forever. Yakima and Thule boxes are 20% off at REI today.
Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet »

nordsteve wrote:We were faced with a similar situation with two kids and a Honda Civic as our over-the-road car. We ended up buying a rack and a roof box, which delayed our purchase of a minivan by three years. The roof rack/box setup cost about the same as one monthly payment on the van.

My recommendation to the OP would be start by using a roof box / hitch rack. You can get into a hitch rack for under $200, and a decent roof box is ~$3-400. Both will last you forever. Yakima and Thule boxes are 20% off at REI today.
Think a hitch rack would work on a Prius? It has a tow rating of zero pounds.
ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack »

researcher wrote:
corysold wrote:
Much of the anti-trailer advice you've received is unfounded. Just spend a few minutes reviewing this site...
http://eco-trailers.com/pulmor-lightweight-trailers.php

Unlike what many have said, this type of trailer will NOT result in horrible fuel economy, be unsafe to tow, add considerable wear/tear, require trailer brakes, ect.

You seem to be a good candidate for such a trailer. Why buy a more expensive, larger van that gets worse fuel economy for the ~10 days a year that you need more storage space?
I personally wouldn't want to spend thousands on a pulmor trailer and pay the cost of registering it, when I could just buy a roof cargo rack for a couple hundred bucks.

I don't care what the OP decides, but think he should look into the safety aspect as towing ratings are often overstated and come with disclaimers including the Odysssey's "3,500 lbs"
http://automobiles.honda.com/odyssey/specifications.aspx wrote:[3] Requires surge-type or electric trailer brakes and available Honda accessory towing package and hitch ball. Premium unleaded fuel recommended when towing. Please see your Honda dealer for details.
And as an FYI, I have a Honda Pilot and without trailer brakes has a max towing rating 1,000 lbs. I believe even a small 5x8ft trailer at U-Haul exceeds this. I have towed more (about 2,000 lb boat) but I wouldn't want to exceed things with my family in the car.
Casper

Post by Casper »

flossy21 wrote:Keep in mind you will have to insure and license a trailer plus pay personal property taxes on it.
I think this varies by state. I live in PA and tow a camper, but don't have to insure it. Annual registration fee is trivial. Insurance, if I had chosen to get it, was quoted at $29 annually.
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

You can tow a trailer with an Odyssey. However, in the past Odysseys have had chronic and repeated transmission failures apparently because of under-engineering for the size and weight of the vehicle. it was addressed by Honda only after a class action lawsuit. So I'd hesitate to go anywhere close to Honda’s tow rating of 3500 lbs even in newer models. Also, one chart I’ve seen in a 2010 Odyssey owner’s manual reduced the trailer weight limit according to the weight of the people and luggage in the vehicle – not just the hitch weight. With a lot of people in the vehicle, the loaded trailer weight limit may be as little as 650 lbs.

I see that poster lthenderson and others have mentioned a lot of the problems I was going to mention from my own experience in towing and backing small, short trailers with a minivan (or big SUV), and problems with small ones with their tiny wheels too.

From personal experience, my recommendation would not be a trailer if all you really need is “a bigger trunk” with more space for luggage and other stuff that does not weigh more than perhaps 200-300 lbs. A roof-rack carrier or a hitch carrier would be a lot more convenient than any trailer. It would not affect maneuverability, and would not put significantly more wear on the vehicle's drive train either.

My experience has been that a roof-top carrier is hard to load and unload; increases wind resistance and thus power and gas mileage; is a problem with crosswinds and passing big trucks; makes the vehicle more top-heavy and unstable at speed; and causes problems with overhead clearance. Plus the roof rack weight capacity on an Odyssey is only a total of about 150 lbs.

On the other hand, the dead weight capacity of the trailer hitch is at least 350 lbs, and it's strong enough to take far more stress. Plus, from my experience, the lower center of gravity with hitch carriers seem to improve the stability and perhaps the ride. As for handling, the pendulum or over-steer effect of a 300+ lb loaded hitch carrier is not going to be anywhere near as bad as a trailer that weighs up to 10 times more.

One problem with carriers on low-mounted hitches like an Odyssey or Sienna is that the rear of the carrier will often drag when you’re going over dips such and into and out of driveways over sidewalks, etc. A carrier platform that has an angled support beam to give more ground clearance can make a big difference.

Another problem is that cargo can interfere with opening the rear hatch on a minivan or SUV. So you need to find a combination that allows you to open the rear hatch, or else plan your load packing so you won’t have to open the hatch to get to anything you might need while you’re on the road.

Some years ago when we retired my then 16 year old great hulking 3 ton 4x4 454V8 2500 series Suburban from long trips, we really missed the cargo space for hauling lots of stuff to and from prolonged stays at our second home in NC. I already had a hitch carrier like the one shown below from Harbor Freight, and initially used it on my relatively small Mitsubishi Outlander crossover SUVlet that was the replacement trip vehicle.

However, it did have some problems dragging when going over humps and sidewalks into and out of parking lots, and steep driveways. After a lot of measuring and testing, the combination of a Harbor Freight hitch carrier platform and a cargo box from Tractor Supply works well for me. They look almost like they were made for each other, and an adjustment in the assembly bolts allows just enough clearance to open the rear hatch. The angled support gives plenty of ground clearance. The cargo box has two hasps for padlocks. I use them with long flexible security cables to secure the box and the carrier platform to the frame of the vehicle hitch for extra security and safety.
http://www.harborfreight.com/300-lb-cap ... 69858.html
http://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/produc ... -box-44-in
ImageImage

The combo can cost about $130-$150 total when bought with coupons or other sales prices that are often available.

There are also various more expensive enclosed hitch mounted cargo carriers like some of these that have a side hinge that allows you to unlatch and swing them aside to have access through the rear hatch. If any of them would meet your needs, IMO they’d be better than towing a trailer, too.

Just came across this carrier that looks like it would be handy if you have waterproof containers for your stuff.
http://www.campingworld.com/browse/skus ... oCd1Pw_wcB

More opinions about trailers and bigger vans:

Poster lthenderson mentioned the problems with the tiny trailers with the smallest wheels and tires. You can verify those problems next time you take a long trip in the summer just by paying attention to all the trailers stopped by the roadside with tiny little shredded tires and/or totally missing wheels, bearings and all. Sometimes an overheated wheel bearing may seize and even break the spindle. Those are often the ones you see being hauled on flatbed tow trucks.

So … if I were going to buy a trailer for family trips with a lot of luggage with a vehicle that has the necessary towing capacity, I’d prefer an enclosed trailer at least 4 or 5 feet wide and 6 to 8 feet long, with bigger wheels and tires … preferably 13” or larger. Incidentally the Pulmor model mentioned above looks like it would work, especially with the upgrade to 13” wheels.

About bigger vans

I agree with others who suggest a full-sized passenger van on a real truck chassis like a Chevrolet Express, GMC Savana, or the Ford Transit or equivalent -- for a big family and a lot of luggage. Or maybe a Tahoe, Suburban, Yukon, or Yukon XL, or the Ford equivalent SUVs. Not Chrysler/Dodge products, IMO. And not crossovers or minivans based on car platforms. Maybe a Toyota Sequoia if the surprisingly bone-jarring hard ride is not a problem for you and your family.

With a truck-based SUV you can also carry a much heavier hitch mounted cargo carrier if you need more space. Plus if you reach the point that you need a trailer too -- such as camping trips -- it won't overload it to tow a fair-sized cargo trailer that has big enough wheels to go hundreds or thousands of miles at high speeds with no tire or bearing trouble.

I would recommend that you rent a big van and drive it on a long trip as well as around town and everywhere you might drive it before you consider buying one. They do have more room and capacity for people and cargo, but they ARE trucks, not cars or crossovers. They are not nearly as comfortable to drive or as maneuverable as an Odyssey or other minivan. it would be worth the money to rent to know whether you'll really be happy in day-to-day driving in a vehicle that is so big that it comes with its own zip code.

I'd also lean toward the GM and Ford designated 1500 or 150 models for family use unless you plan to tow a really heavy trailer too since the 2500 and 150 and 3500 and 350 models are really heavy duty trucks with stiff springs that can produce a really punishing ride when lightly loaded.

Incidentally, I'd expect a 1500 series Express or Savana or Ford equivalent to get reasonably good gas mileage, considering its size and load capacity.

I had a full-size 1500 series GMC 8-passenger van for 18 years. It had a 350-V8 and a 4-barrel carburetor and was streamlined about like a small barn, and about that size, but still got 16 mpg and better on long trips. I'd expect the newer streamlined, bodies and higher tech engines and drive trains to do considerably better. For example, I have a 10-year old GMC Yukon XL 1500 series (The GMC Suburban) that weighs as much or more as my old passenger van, but gets mpg into the low 20's on long highway trips with moderate loads. Newer ones should do even better.

jimb
Last edited by jimb_fromATL on Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.