What IS this? Salad tongs for elves?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

What IS this? Salad tongs for elves?

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

This object was found in our house when we moved here years ago. I believe it was originally found on a shelf in the circuit closet in the garage. It seems to keep resurfacing in drawers, toolboxes, etc. We have not been able to figure out what it is.

It has an eye screw which looks like it was permanently attached to something. For the purpose of holding something one would surmise since the sides are notched and the bar in the center can be moved to adjust the size of the clam-shaped pincers' opening.

Anyone have any idea what this might be? We're stumped.

Angelus359

Re: What IS this? Salad tongs for elves?

Post by Angelus359 »

Elves doesn't really work because some mythos have elves as really tall
Systems Engineer
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

Garlic Press?
Gordon
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

I might vote for a "mothball holder".
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

curmudgeon wrote:I might vote for a "mothball holder".
Now that is a very good possibility! You'd screw this to a closet wall or door jam, insert a mothball between the clamps, tighten it. The clamshell clamps look to be just the right size to hold a mothball. I did Google "antique mothball holder" but all the images that came up were of cans with holes.
Angst

Post by Angst »

My suggestion is to take another photo of it but on a plain, white background without the ruler or any other objects included. Then post the pic on the web and search google for the pic and see what you come up with. I tried right-clicking on the one you posted to search google images but it came up with wood-oriented things due to the background.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Drapery hardware?
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Angst wrote:My suggestion is to take another photo of it but on a plain, white background without the ruler or any other objects included. Then post the pic on the web and search google for the pic and see what you come up with. I tried right-clicking on the one you posted to search google images but it came up with wood-oriented things due to the background.
I tried that. I got "ranged weapon...A ranged weapon is any weapon that can harm targets at distances greater than hand-to-hand distance." And Google produced pictures of various weapons.

Here is the URL for the image with a white background: http://i66.tinypic.com/2h8cnxf.jpg

I considered drapery hardware too, but I had a hard time coming up with what purpose the hardware would serve. Since it was found in a closet I still think the mothball holder theory is the best.
HarleyHabit

Post by HarleyHabit »

Take pic and post it on reddit (best spot /R/WhatIsThisThing)they have lots of whats this things up there people try to id. Let us know how it goes
bpp

Post by bpp »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:I considered drapery hardware too, but I had a hard time coming up with what purpose the hardware would serve.
Tapestry or quilt wall hanging clamp?
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

bpp wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:I considered drapery hardware too, but I had a hard time coming up with what purpose the hardware would serve.
Tapestry or quilt wall hanging clamp?
That makes more sense than for something for mothballs.

The adjustable slide looks like it could take a fair amount of force to close and lock in place, so would be good for holding something long term. A mothball would shrink over time wouldn't it? I wouldn't think that kind of closure would be ideal because you wouldn't want to go back and adjust it as it shrunk, and if you didn't it would fall out.
Last edited by in_reality on Thu Nov 24, 2016 4:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Mothballs, lavender, etc, were usually in sachets. I think a mothball would crumble if it were clamped between metal.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Mrs.Feeley wrote: I considered drapery hardware too, but I had a hard time coming up with what purpose the hardware would serve. Since it was found in a closet I still think the mothball holder theory is the best.
I was thinking a drapery tieback, but it is much more "industrial strength" than ones I've seen.

I tried rotating the image since I guess it hangs down and feeding it to image search but that just turned up a bunch of random brass stuff.
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

The tapestry or quilt hanger theory is a good possibility. But aren't quilts and tapestry usually hung on rods or dowels so that they hang evenly? Also the eye screw is less than a 1/2 inch in length, not long enough to screw into a wall stud. You could screw it only into the wallboard. Anything that would hang from it would have to be lightweight. And the tongs piece by itself is not light.

I'm still thinking mothball hanger since the clamshell fasteners are rounded and would just fit around a mothball, leaving a slender air slit. I don't think the moth ball would fall out unless it had seriously degraded.

We did find this in a closet. And the prior owner of our house was a closet designer in addition to being an accumulator of odd bits of hardware. So unless this is some bizarre piece of garage-related hardware, maybe it's for hanging something in a closet? But again it would have to be something lightweight because of the small eye screw.
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

mouses wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote: I considered drapery hardware too, but I had a hard time coming up with what purpose the hardware would serve. Since it was found in a closet I still think the mothball holder theory is the best.
I was thinking a drapery tieback, but it is much more "industrial strength" than ones I've seen.

I tried rotating the image since I guess it hangs down and feeding it to image search but that just turned up a bunch of random brass stuff.
I was also thinking drapery tieback or a bit of hardware to sash fabric over and hold it back. But I couldn't imagine how that would work in real life. Like you said it's too industrial strength.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:
mouses wrote:

I was also thinking drapery tieback or a bit of hardware to sash fabric over and hold it back. But I couldn't imagine how that would work in real life. Like you said it's too industrial strength.
If you go over to pinterest, you can find 1000+ suggestions for Fabric Room Dividers.

Then again, look at the notches ... it could very well hold something much, much thicker than fabric. Or maybe it's to hold a thick blanket (how's the insulation there?). You'd need more than one of course. Farmhouses in the north used to get pretty cold winter time ... harshly so ... glad I only had a few night visiting relatives when I was real young...

Can you slip it out from the screw, or is the opening too small for that?
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

in_reality wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:
mouses wrote:

If you go over to pinterest, you can find 1000+ suggestions for Fabric Room Dividers.

Then again, look at the notches ... it could very well hold something much, much thicker than fabric. Or maybe it's to hold a thick blanket (how's the insulation there?). You'd need more than one of course.

Can you slip it out from the screw, or is the opening too small for that?
No, you can't remove it from the screw, the opening is too small. You're correct that it could hold something much thicker than fabric. Insulation? The house is well insulated but the garage is not, and we are up north with subzero winters. Maybe a blanket that's used seasonally to block drafts?

Or how about some sort of antique outdoor fabric awning clamp?
bpp

Post by bpp »

Maybe a curtain ring clamp, something like the following, but with the wooden ring part missing?

Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

bpp wrote:Maybe a curtain ring clamp, something like the following, but with the wooden ring part missing?

Yeah! The piece seems heavy to have been screwed into a curtain ring but maybe it was used to fasten some sort of industrial drapery?
mouses

Post by mouses »

Are the previous owners or their offspring still available to ask?
RubyTuesday

Post by RubyTuesday »

Could it be to hold a cedar ball in a closet?
“Doing nothing is better than being busy doing nothing.” – Lao Tzu
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I vote for something that hangs seasonally. Like maybe pair of them would hold a blanket or quilt over a window or unneeded door in the winter.
fourwheelcycle

Post by fourwheelcycle »

My wife and I have stayed in B&Bs where old-fashioned heavy drapes were held back to the sides of the windows with cords that had loops on the ends to hang on hooks screwed into the wall or window trim with eye screws.

I can imagine that if you step back to an earlier time and substitute tassels for the loops on the end of the cords this would be just the item to hold the tassels.

I also like the mothball idea.
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

It looks like some sort of medieval torture device. :D

My guess is that it is some sort of hanger.
A fool and his money are good for business.
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Heavy duty dual melon baller :mrgreen: ...

- Ron
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

mouses

Post by mouses »

CFM300 for the win.

Also used to keep skirts from tangling in bicycle wheels, apparently -
http://dandyhorsemagazine.com/blog/2012 ... rt-lifter/

Not sure how the screw comes into this.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

CFM300 wrote:Resembles a crudely made Victorian skirt lifter or dress holder.
CFM300 - why would someone want to lift a Victorian woman's skirt??
mouses

Post by mouses »

Miriam2 wrote:
CFM300 - why would someone want to lift a Victorian woman's skirt??
To keep the hem out of the gutter.
Angst

Post by Angst »

Well, my google image search idea above didn't work out very well - Google thought it was looking at a crossbow!

But the skirt-lifter idea looks like a good possibility.
Here's a pic and a website behind it with more info and pics:

http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/.a/6a01156f4 ... 970b-800wi
http://blog.fidmmuseum.org/museum/2013/ ... -1876.html

And who wouldn't think of repurposing their skirt-lifter as a mothball holder?! :shock:
ralph124cf

Post by ralph124cf »

I really think that the screw part was added later.

This looks very much like sugar tongs (for sugar cubes). That does not fit for the clamp part though.

Ralph
jimb_fromATL
Location: Atlanta area & Piedmont Triad NC and Interstate 85 in between.

Post by jimb_fromATL »

Since it has a screw-eye, I'd go with drapery hardware, possibly used like a tie-back to hold the draperies open. The range of adjustment would allow it to hold several folds of the fabric. Or perhaps to hold a wall-hanging quilt or other fabric.

jimb
Angst

Post by Angst »

^ I think the screw-eye, especially in the 2nd pic, looks like modern vintage - and there appears to be enough gap that it might have just been slid on, but who knows - you might be right. Drapes, skirts... back in the day, they had a lot in common.
Gort

Post by Gort »

mouses wrote:CFM300 for the win.

Also used to keep skirts from tangling in bicycle wheels, apparently -

Not sure how the screw comes into this.
Maybe the screw attached the skirt lifter to some sort of handheld wooden rod that the lady could use to lift her skirt as needed???
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

I think the screw is for displaying the skirt lifter on a wall, and is not part of the device.
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

I can't tell from the original photo at the top.

Are there flat or soft surfaces on the inside of each "side"?

The "skirt lifters" do have that.

If not, then this device might damage the fabric, even if only slightly, from the stronger pressure of just the outline of the edges.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Bertie

Post by Bertie »

I'm guessing a butter mold. Scoop up the butter, squeeze the "tongs" shut, and you'll form a nice scalloped disc of butter. The screw part doesn't look like part of the original device to me.
Gort

Post by Gort »

Bertie wrote:I'm guessing a butter mold. Scoop up the butter, squeeze the "tongs" shut, and you'll form a nice scalloped disc of butter. The screw part doesn't look like part of the original device to me.
I agree with Raymond, the screw was used to hang it on the wall (or some wardrobe cabinet when not in use). It looks like there is enough room in the hook to slide the skirt hanger off.
Last edited by Gort on Thu Nov 24, 2016 2:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Here is a nearly exact duplicate for sale. It is being sold as a Victorian skirt lifter.

The item is described here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/475051604/ ... ref=market

Note that there are multiple images in the slideshow.

It is described as being 3.5" inches in length. Same as the OP's.
Gort

Post by Gort »

CFM300 wrote:Here is a nearly exact duplicate for sale. It is being sold as a Victorian skirt lifter.

The item is described here:

https://www.etsy.com/listing/475051604/ ... ref=market

Note that there are multiple images in the slideshow.

It is described as being 3.5" inches in length. Same as the OP's.
Great find CFM300. Mystery solved!
CFM300

Post by CFM300 »

Gort wrote:Great find CFM300. Mystery solved!
Unless the seller of the duplicate is mistaken about what it is, which is certainly possible.
mouses

Post by mouses »

Bertie wrote:I'm guessing a butter mold. Scoop up the butter, squeeze the "tongs" shut, and you'll form a nice scalloped disc of butter. The screw part doesn't look like part of the original device to me.
I don't think it's a butter mold. The adjustable gizmo doesn't seem like it would be part of that. I've never seen a butter mold that looked like that.
tooluser

Post by tooluser »

Gort wrote:Mystery solved!
Indeed. Obviously the eye screw would be secured to a wooden leg.

Or perhaps a whale bone in a corset.
Like good comrades to the utmost of their strength, we shall go on to the end. -- Winston Churchill
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

https://www.pinterest.com/victorian3718 ... t-lifters/
WOW! Mystery solved indeed. Thank you CFM300! And Mouses and the other Bogleheads who've responded. It probably is indeed a clamp to hold up a woman's long skirt while biking.

The clampers won't slip off the eye screw. But the eye screw may have been added later, maybe to transform the clampers into something that would hold up a curtain or room divider as some have suggested, or even a moth ball or cedar ball for a closet. I looked over both with a magnifying glass and the screw is a different metal than the clampers although it looks old.

I'm told that the prior owner of our house did at one time own an antique store. Maybe they knew what this was, maybe not. Maybe they were trying to use it to hold up a blanket or extra seasonal insulation in the garage, or maybe they were trying to use it to hang something in a closet and so fastened the screw to it.

Thanks all! This is great! I actually have a Victorian lady's bicycling purse hanging on a chatelaine on the wall. So I can add this to the display. :D To think I was about to toss it into the recycling bin. Thanks everyone! Bogleheads are great!
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

What does a Victorian Lady's bicycling purse look like?

:confused

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

ResearchMed wrote:What does a Victorian Lady's bicycling purse look like?

:confused

RM
The bicycling purse had a large clip on the top so that one could hang it from one's belt while cycling. As in...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Victorian-Repou ... SwsTxXjDMj

https://www.etsy.com/listing/216464666/ ... =victorian beaded purse&ref=sr_gallery_22

At least that's what I read online while researching my strange-looking purse. :D
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mrs.Feeley wrote:WOW! Mystery solved indeed. Thank you CFM300! And Mouses and the other Bogleheads who've responded. It probably is indeed a clamp to hold up a woman's long skirt while biking. . . .
Thanks all! This is great! I actually have a Victorian lady's bicycling purse hanging on a chatelaine on the wall. So I can add this to the display. :D To think I was about to toss it into the recycling bin. Thanks everyone! Bogleheads are great!
I don't know Mrs. Feeley, but I'm not sure this would pass the KonMarie test, not sure the Japanese art of decluttering would approve that you already had a Victorian lady's bicycling purse hanging on a chatelaine on your wall and that you are now adding to the collection with your Victorian skirt clamper-upper :wink:
Topic Author
Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley »

Miriam2 wrote:
Mrs.Feeley wrote:WOW! Mystery solved indeed. Thank you CFM300! And Mouses and the other Bogleheads who've responded. It probably is indeed a clamp to hold up a woman's long skirt while biking. . . .
I don't know Mrs. Feeley, but I'm not sure this would pass the KonMarie test, not sure the Japanese art of decluttering would approve that you already HAD a Victorian lady's bicycling purse hanging on a chatelaine (whatever that is!?) on your wall and that you are now adding to the collection with your Victorian skirt clamper-upper :wink:
:D Actually this is an issue I've been grappling with for a long time. What to do with the alleged bicycling purse? I'd been trying to find it a new home for many years after it was thrust upon me when my high school drama teacher pushed into my arms an anonymously donated box of golf shirts and sweaters and other "costumes" and said "Happy Graduation! Why don't you take this home?" Unfortunately not many people need bicycling purses with long beaded fringes these days. Finally I said "I know! I'll nail it to the wall!" And there it's hung for decades, out of my thoughts, out of the way. Nailing things to the wall is a special technique in the Midwestern art of decluttering by the way, especially effective when there's no more room to jam things under the bed or couch and you've already used a broom handle to try. So long as your guests are no longer bumping into something or tripping over it you're good as gold.
Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 »

Mrs.Feeley wrote: :D Actually this is an issue I've been grappling with for a long time. What to do with the alleged bicycling purse? I'd been trying to find it a new home for many years after it was thrust upon me when my high school drama teacher pushed into my arms an anonymously donated box of golf shirts and sweaters and other "costumes" and said "Happy Graduation! Why don't you take this home?" Unfortunately not many people need bicycling purses with long beaded fringes these days. Finally I said "I know! I'll nail it to the wall!" And there it's hung for decades, out of my thoughts, out of the way. Nailing things to the wall is a special technique in the Midwestern art of decluttering by the way, especially effective when there's no more room to jam things under the bed or couch and you've already used a broom handle to try. So long as your guests are no longer bumping into something or tripping over it you're good as gold.
OMG that's hilarious Mrs. Feeley! Perhaps you should write the quintessential book on "The Midwestern Art of Decluttering and Organizing" - the life-changing magic of tidying up in the Heartland :sharebeer
mouses

Post by mouses »

How about putting the purse and the skirt lifter together in an enclosed frame, then they're a "display picture," no dust, etc.