New gas range vents LOTS of heat into kitchen

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
pkcrafter

New gas range vents LOTS of heat into kitchen

Post by pkcrafter »

I just bought a new Samsung gas range and it vents a lot of hot air into kitchen. The vent is just below the control panel and heat is driven out onto the top of the range which makes anything sitting on top very hot. I can't believe this is by design, although it appears to be.

Anyone have experience with this?

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
dailybagel

Re: New gas range vents LOTS of heat into kitchen

Post by dailybagel »

The low-end GE gas range in my apartment vents heat into the kitchen. There is a vent at the top rear of the unit, which heats up articles places on the stove. I placed an aluminum foil box there a couple days ago, and was surprised how hot it got.

in my case, the control knobs are in the front.

Is it possible this unit has an exhaust port that can be used, but was not connected in your installation?

I would suggest googling "Samsung <model number> owner's manual" or "Samsung <model number> installation".
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Range, stove, oven?

Heat has to go somewhere. Physics. I prefer electric ovens and gas stove tops. Our electric oven has a fan that runs when the oven is hot in order to keep it from burning down the house.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

Is your control panel on the back of the oven? If so then venting from the back of the unit out onto cooktop is pretty ideal unless its bad enough to effect something cooking on the burners. That heat will rise up into the hood where it can be captured. Gas ovens in general need to have more ventilation too. What do you keep on your range besides pots and pans?

My electric Miele oven (gas cooktop) vents out the front just above the oven door where the heat can't be captured by the hood. Its not bad though because unless its on a cleaning cycle or really high temps the air coming out of the front isn't very hot.
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

This is a free-standing range.

Vent is underneath the name Samsung and hot air is blown out over the burners and out into the kitchen. It is quite forceful and hot. You can't leave you hand in the air flow. Would be totally unacceptable in summer. I Googled the problem and it does exist, but no explanation. Apparently Kenmore has the same problem. My old LG never did anything like this. I'll call Samsung today, but I don't expect any reply that will be helpful.

There is a microwave above the range, but the vent fan is noisy if turned up high enough to make a difference.

Livesoft, I would prefer the energy is used to heat the oven and not the house! :confused

When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

OP,
My GE range is stove over oven, similar to yours. The oven vents out over the stove as yours does. The oven doesn't get any use in the summer. It puts out a surprising amount of heat.

Your Samsung may be working as designed.

Good luck!
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
squirm

Post by squirm »

We have a Wolf range, it puts out too much, in fact it melted the bottom of our microwave, I'm going to have to replace it.
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

pkcrafter wrote:I just bought a new Samsung gas range and it vents a lot of hot air into kitchen. The vent is just below the control panel and heat is driven out onto the top of the range which makes anything sitting on top very hot. I can't believe this is by design, although it appears to be.

Anyone have experience with this?

Paul
Same brand, same experience. I was initially worried that gas could be leaking, but the plumber assured me that was not the case. We have it installed since a year, and now we have gotten used to it. One suggestion: If you have a convection oven, keep the convection OFF unless you need it. The fan seems to make things worser. Most times, if we turn on the oven without convection, we do not see as much heat vent.
Next time we buy a range, we are going to shed the extra $$ to buy a combination range (electric oven, gas range).
tacster

Post by tacster »

The reason this happens: Gas ovens are heated by a flame. In order for the flame to burn, there must be a steady supply of fresh oxygen. If the oven were tightly sealed it could not draw in fresh oxygen. Therefore the oven must have an air intake and an exhaust vent. The vent allows hot air to escape from the stove, but is necessary to support combustion.

FYI, I also just replaced an old gas range with new Samsung very similar to yours. It vents a lot more heat than the old one did. Not surprising, since the new oven has a much higher BTU rating. I do have a proper vent fan over the stove to draw off the heat. Unlike the poster above, I find that using convection bake with lower temperature setting helps mitigate the issue somewhat.

Of course electric ovens don't have this issue.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

squirm wrote:We have a Wolf range, it puts out too much, in fact it melted the bottom of our microwave, I'm going to have to replace it.
Lol, thats user error for installing a high power wolf range below a microwave. High BTU gas stoves NEED to have a good vent hood or at least adequate clearance if you want to use the power they have.
Last edited by barnaclebob on Tue Nov 22, 2016 12:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob »

pkcrafter wrote:This is a free-standing range.

Vent is underneath the name Samsung and hot air is blown out over the burners and out into the kitchen. It is quite forceful and hot. You can't leave you hand in the air flow. Would be totally unacceptable in summer....

There is a microwave above the range, but the vent fan is noisy if turned up high enough to make a difference.

Livesoft, I would prefer the energy is used to heat the oven and not the house! :confused
100% of the energy used in the stove will make it into your house gas or electric. Have you felt how much heat a gas burner puts out on high? Your best bet is to dump the OTR microwave which has a garbage ventilation system and to get a good hood. You may not want to be inhaling all of those combustion products either.
squirm

Post by squirm »

barnaclebob wrote:
squirm wrote:We have a Wolf range, it puts out too much, in fact it melted the bottom of our microwave, I'm going to have to replace it.
Lol, thats user error for installing a high power wolf range below a microwave. High BTU gas stoves NEED to have a good vent hood or at least adequate clearance if you want to use the power they have.
That's not us, that's the previous owner. He thought he was a chef, and bought a Wolf. I should be able to get $600 for it. Personally I don't like the Wolf. Too much stove for little return.
8foot7

Post by 8foot7 »

squirm wrote:
barnaclebob wrote:
That's not us, that's the previous owner. He thought he was a chef, and bought a Wolf. I should be able to get $600 for it. Personally I don't like the Wolf. Too much stove for little return.
I bought Bluestar and love it. But you have to have a serious vent hood. I have a Vent-a-hood and also love it. But I agree, if you're not a chef, that's probably not a good ROI.
WannabeEarlyRetiree

Post by WannabeEarlyRetiree »

Ditto pp. we also have a BlueStar. We also got a powerful range hood (our criteria was it has to be >800CFM so when we sear steaks over the stove, it still could suck up all the smoke). Whenever we use the oven, we turn on the hood on low. The house never gets warm due to the gas range (though that could be useful during winter ;). So far, we love love love our appliances; no regrets.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

We have a GE electric range and a GE Microwave above the range. The microwave acts like a range hood with its fan vacuuming all range heat /hot air and cooking odors via a pipe connection to the outside. Nobody here likes to smell cooking odors in bed rooms.
jebmke

Post by jebmke »

barnaclebob wrote:High BTU gas stoves NEED to have a good vent hood
Had to laugh. When we remodeled a kitchen a few years ago (different house) we had a gas top with high BTU burners. In particular, I wanted to make sure smells (fish!) and heat could be vented quickly. I told the contractor "when I reach for that vent switch I want the cat to look for something to hang on to."
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.
mrc

Post by mrc »

jebmke wrote:Had to laugh. When we remodeled a kitchen a few years ago (different house) we had a gas top with high BTU burners. In particular, I wanted to make sure smells (fish!) and heat could be vented quickly. I told the contractor "when I reach for that vent switch I want the cat to look for something to hang on to."
Thanks, I needed that! LOL (literally!)
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
mouses

Post by mouses »

I'm getting kind of glad I have old appliances. I had a gas stove for thirty years. It vented through a pipe into a chimney.

How can these current designs possibly get past whatever part of the feds that does safety standards?
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

Thanks for the feedback.
You may not want to be inhaling all of those combustion products either.
Oh, thanks, now I feel better.
Next time we buy a range, we are going to shed the extra $$ to buy a combination range (electric oven, gas range).
Although it was just hooked up yesterday, it's been sitting here for a month waiting for the kitchen remodel to be completed(another story). Anyway I went back to Lowes and raised a fuss and they agreed to take let me exchange it for something else, which I will definitely do.
Your Samsung may be working as designed.
Yeah, I called Samsung the morning and the rep, after putting the phone down so he go out on the floor and look at the model, said, that's normal. Too bad because the design is idiotic. Yes, I realize gas ovens have to vent, but they don't have to have a vent that adds heat to whatever is on the top of the stove and then sweep across the top to heat whoever is standing there. My old LG never had this sort of problem. :confused

paul
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

mouses wrote:I'm getting kind of glad I have old appliances. I had a gas stove for thirty years. It vented through a pipe into a chimney.

How can these current designs possibly get past whatever part of the feds that does safety standards?
++!!
gas_balloon

Post by gas_balloon »

pkcrafter wrote:
Anyway I went back to Lowes and raised a fuss and they agreed to take let me exchange it for something else, which I will definitely do
If you want to continue staying in the cheaper price range, try Frigidaire FGGF3058RF. The sweethome recommends it: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-el ... as-ranges/
I have no idea if the design has similar flaws - you may want to check on that.

If you are fine with putting the extra $$, get a combination (a.k.a. as "dual" or "dual fuel") range. Samsung NY58J9850WS and GE Profile P2S920SEFSS seem to fit the bill, although thesweethome claims they are harder to service, so you may want to call your local repair shops for recommendation first.
Topic Author
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

walletless wrote:
pkcrafter wrote:
Anyway I went back to Lowes and raised a fuss and they agreed to take let me exchange it for something else, which I will definitely do
If you want to continue staying in the cheaper price range, try Frigidaire FGGF3058RF. The sweethome recommends it: http://thesweethome.com/reviews/best-el ... as-ranges/
I have no idea if the design has similar flaws - you may want to check on that.

If you are fine with putting the extra $$, get a combination (a.k.a. as "dual" or "dual fuel") range. Samsung NY58J9850WS and GE Profile P2S920SEFSS seem to fit the bill, although thesweethome claims they are harder to service, so you may want to call your local repair shops for recommendation first.
Thanks, good suggestions.

Paul
Frisco Kid

Post by Frisco Kid »

A serious cook will love a Wolf commercial range. Both a Wolf and the Samsung pictured are designed to be used with a properly sized and installed hood. A microwave that has a fan does not qualify, won't move nearly enough air. Please note that the fan should ALWAYS be run whenever the stove is being used. High btu ranges with high performance ovens by design will throw a lot of heat into the room, heat is a byproduct of their output. A correct hood will not remove all the heat but will make the situation somewhat more livable. High performance hoods will be noisy, they have to be to move large volumes of air. To the person whose microwave melted, thankfully you didn't have a fire. Also make sure you have the correct clearances to cabinets, etc as stated by the manufacturer.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

I feel your pain, Paul. I have the same free standing range and I have the same problem. In addition, apparently I am sensitive to the combustion products of propane (no natural gas out here in my rural area).

The cooktop is fine. I hardly use the oven. When I do, the doors and windows have to be open. And the vent on.

Apparently I need the dual option - gas cooktop and electric oven - but they are quite expensive. However, if you needed a remodel, it might be cheap not to just go ahead and get something that suits your needs. I wonder if the new LGs might work for you? Or maybe some brand has some other venting solution. If you find that, I'd like to hear about it.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Was your old LG a gas version? If so, where/how did it vent the combustion products of the gas burning?
mouses

Post by mouses »

retiredjg wrote:I
Apparently I need the dual option - gas cooktop and electric oven - but they are quite expensive. .
I know zilch about current appliances, but are you talking about one unit? In my current house there is an electric oven and elsewhere in the room a gas cooktop. I am thinking that may be less expensive than a combo.
sport

Post by sport »

mouses wrote:
retiredjg wrote:I
Apparently I need the dual option - gas cooktop and electric oven - but they are quite expensive. .
I know zilch about current appliances, but are you talking about one unit? In my current house there is an electric oven and elsewhere in the room a gas cooktop. I am thinking that may be less expensive than a combo.
The separate oven and cooktop are referred to as "built-ins". For no apparent reason, they seem to cost more than a single stove. IMO that is because they are used in fancier kitchens where people have larger budgets to pay for them.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

mouses wrote:I know zilch about current appliances, but are you talking about one unit?
Yes, I meant one unit. Such as these. https://www.lowes.com/pl/Single-oven-du ... 4294653716

Why there are no dual fuel ranges in a lower price range is a mystery to me.