Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Post Reply
gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gujm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:08 pm

Big THANKS to so many people here on this forum.

I am a physician and have seeked advice about a private practice in Las Vegas on this forum. Thank you all, I decided to move on and not join the practice.

I am conflicted between Portland (we love vegan food) and Southlake (love the schools). Any advice for either place- Financially which is better (seems like Dallas).

Also, any good advice to a new physician starting work to get on a path to financial freedom.

Thank you all.

coalcracker
Posts: 377
Joined: Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:25 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by coalcracker » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:18 pm

Second question is easy: http://www.whitecoatinvestor.com. Spend a few weeks reading there, or buy Jim's book (it's great).

I have spent several weeks in the Southlake area visiting my brother-in-law (he lives in Colleyville). It is wealthy suburbia with a Texas twist. Expect to drive everywhere, for better or worse. One positive is that the shopping, grocery stores, gyms, etc. have everything you could ever need within 10 minutes, and because there's a lot of money there, the options are quite nice. Another tidbit that might give you an idea of the "culture" there: my sister-in-law was 1 of only 2 women in her community who did NOT have plastic surgery after having children (they call it the "mommy makover", including a breast augmentation and tummy tuck).

Portland I know less well but have probably spent a couple weeks there visiting friends. MUCH different vibe from Texas. Summers are great, winters not so much in the city, but you drive to great skiing. Overall Oregan wins hands down over Texas for natural beauty and outdoor activities. This might be obvious, but people in Portland and Dallas are almost the complete opposite ends of the political spectrum.

Good luck, both places are actually quite nice, and I could live in either :sharebeer
Last edited by coalcracker on Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CWhea1775
Posts: 40
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 3:45 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by CWhea1775 » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:38 pm

Not a physician, have lived in Texas (10 years) and Portland (last 25 years). Some questions to ask yourself;

How do you feel about 9 months of hot, dry weather vs. 7 months of dark, cold, and wet weather?

Does it matter to you if you have mountains, ocean, city amenities in proximity?

If you care about politics you have liberal/progressive far end of bell curve Portland vs. conservative Texas

Portland has Excellent food and wine scene

Texans in my experience are (gross generalization) more fun then Oregonians. Sorry. Just saying.

Oregonians, in my experience are (gross generalization) more earnest and "politically correct" than Texans. Fun not as much.

Oregon public schools are stressed out due to relatively high costs and relatively low public funding support that goes thru crises whenever the economy goes down. Excellent private schools available, but even the best publics tend to have large class sizes.

Oregon = relatively low and limited property taxes, no sales tax, high state income taxes

If you care about fishing, hunting, outdoor activities they both have a lot of options, in Texas it is all private land (pay = great options). In Oregon it is mostly public, but you need to spend a lot of time/effort/money figuring it out, in less you get guides, etc. (pay = great options - surprise!)

Good luck, you can make a good life in either place.

Stonebr
Posts: 1462
Joined: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:19 am
Location: Maine

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by Stonebr » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:39 pm

In Dallas you will spend your life in a car, either in traffic or in a hot parking lot.

In Portland, OR you may actually be able to walk around.
"have more than thou showest, | speak less than thou knowest" -- The Fool in King Lear

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45075
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by LadyGeek » Wed Nov 16, 2016 9:40 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (where to live).
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

anonsdca
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by anonsdca » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:07 pm

CWhea1775 wrote:Not a physician, have lived in Texas (10 years) and Portland (last 25 years). Some questions to ask yourself;

How do you feel about 9 months of hot, dry weather vs. 7 months of dark, cold, and wet weather?

Does it matter to you if you have mountains, ocean, city amenities in proximity?

If you care about politics you have liberal/progressive far end of bell curve Portland vs. conservative Texas

Portland has Excellent food and wine scene

Texans in my experience are (gross generalization) more fun then Oregonians. Sorry. Just saying.

Oregonians, in my experience are (gross generalization) more earnest and "politically correct" than Texans. Fun not as much.

Oregon public schools are stressed out due to relatively high costs and relatively low public funding support that goes thru crises whenever the economy goes down. Excellent private schools available, but even the best publics tend to have large class sizes.

Oregon = relatively low and limited property taxes, no sales tax, high state income taxes

If you care about fishing, hunting, outdoor activities they both have a lot of options, in Texas it is all private land (pay = great options). In Oregon it is mostly public, but you need to spend a lot of time/effort/money figuring it out, in less you get guides, etc. (pay = great options - surprise!)

Good luck, you can make a good life in either place.
To the OP--this is a good response. I am not a physician, but work for/support them. I live in Vancouver, WA (15 mins across the Columbia River), used to live in Portland. Look at the news, Portland is on fire at the moment. Riots every night. Destruction everywhere, and a city government and police chief not equipped to handle it. Total liberal deal here. Zero leadership.

As pointed out, great food and wine (and beer) scene in Portland. Just can't take advantage of that at the moment because of the riots. Very sad.

The no sales tax is nice in OR. We like that. WA has no income tax and that is why we moved across the river. Much more affordable and still have the benefits of Portland.

I guess I am advocating for you to consider WA. You can do that in Vancouver and still practice in Portland.

I lived in downtown Portland for a year. Loved it, but what I see happening now there makes me disgusted. I would never support or live in that town again. My own deal--I get it.

Don't know Texas

gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gujm » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:24 pm

Thank you all for your responses.

I would be working for Legacy hospital-Portland (don't know about their financial stability) compared to other big players there. Also, since my work will be in Portland, cannot take advantage of WA tax-free status. :(

In TX it is a private practice (actually 2 different ones) very lucrative and good money.

We are fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Have kids, want to send them to college etc.... Lived in 4 states- NE, midwest, south, mountain west and really enjoyed visiting PNW. Weather is a big concern though (Wife worried about SAD).

We like outdoors activities but not big or crazy about anything particular. We enjoy traveling, Hiking, biking, playing tennis etc...

For TX, isn't Fredrick burg nice to visit for wine and mountain. We don't want our son to play football, worried how much it will affect his social life growing in TX. Any more input really appreciated.

dannyboy
Posts: 28
Joined: Tue May 17, 2016 10:51 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by dannyboy » Wed Nov 16, 2016 10:50 pm

If I were in your position, I would pick Portland over Dallas in a heartbeat. I've lived in the former for a long time, and have grown accustomed to the exceptional food scene and the friendly people. Portland is also a great city for outdoor activities, which you seem to enjoy; I'm getting snow tires put on my car tomorrow in preparation for weekend snowboard trips up to Mount Hood, and I wouldn't be able to do that in Texas. I, like you, love playing tennis, and there are plenty of places here to do so. Additionally, despite the comments anonsdca has made, Portland is generally a calm city, and the riots are somewhat of an anomaly. As someone who is socially liberal, you would fit right in here (and I'd imagine you'd have a harder time doing so in Texas). While fiscal conservatism is semi-rare, it wouldn't be a detriment to your lifestyle in the same way that being a social liberal would in Texas.
Also keep in mind that while the suggestion to live in Vancouver and work in Portland makes sense tax-wise, the number of people making that decision is higher than it has ever been, and the downsides are tangible. Highways are almost always packed, and your commute to and from work would take more than an hour each way. The tax savings are sizable, but you sacrifice time.

I also have experience with Portland-area (high) schools and, given a physician's income, it wouldn't be too hard to find and buy a house in a district that routes to one of Portland's top-notch schools. Look at Lincoln High School, for example, which is one of the top IB schools in the country. Ease of access to the best schools may deteriorate, however, as extensive redistricting is currently in process to decrease our rapid gentrification. Regardless, there are great private schools in the area as well, so you'll have a route for quality education either way. I'm not familiar with Dallas-area schools, so I can't speak to a comparison between the two.

One downside of Portland is that University of Oregon is not as good a school as, say, UT Austin, so your eventual college-age children wouldn't benefit from in-state tuition at a top-tier university. Another issue is that real estate has been skyrocketing in price, so the cost of living is likely higher than in Dallas.

But, as a whole, Portland seems like a more desirable area. Our weather is moderate, our outdoor activities are prevalent, our city is laid-back but productive, and we're able to benefit from growth without becoming overwhelming. Either way, good luck in your decision! :happy

User avatar
TxAg
Posts: 1171
Joined: Sat Oct 17, 2009 11:09 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by TxAg » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:40 am

gujm wrote:Thank you all for your responses.

I would be working for Legacy hospital-Portland (don't know about their financial stability) compared to other big players there. Also, since my work will be in Portland, cannot take advantage of WA tax-free status. :(

In TX it is a private practice (actually 2 different ones) very lucrative and good money.

We are fiscally conservative and socially liberal. Have kids, want to send them to college etc.... Lived in 4 states- NE, midwest, south, mountain west and really enjoyed visiting PNW. Weather is a big concern though (Wife worried about SAD).

We like outdoors activities but not big or crazy about anything particular. We enjoy traveling, Hiking, biking, playing tennis etc...

For TX, isn't Fredrick burg nice to visit for wine and mountain. We don't want our son to play football, worried how much it will affect his social life growing in TX. Any more input really appreciated.

Fiscally conservative and socially liberal will fit in just fine in the Dallas area.

Soccer is huge in north TX...a nice alternative to football.

livesoft
Posts: 60464
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:34 am

That's cute about football. Most girls don't play football and have a decent social life. :)

I'm sure there are other sports (basketball, soccer, track & field, baseball, lacrosse, swimming, etc.) as well as band, orchestra, choir, drama, art, Goth, stoner, robotics, emo and other ways to get socialized. I'm sure your son can watch football, too. :)

My recommendation is Portland.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sixtyforty
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Nov 25, 2014 12:22 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by sixtyforty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:29 am

I've lived in Dallas for over 10 years and only visited Portland once.

Dallas
Pros - Great restaurants, especially TexMex, shopping, movies etc. Good schools. South lake is very nice. People are friendly. Mild winters for the most part (every now and then you might get an ice storm). Major sports, Cowboys etc.
Cons - Everything in Dallas is consumer oriented.. ie costs money for fun (shopping, movies, restaurants). Not much outdoor activity. Gets very hot in the summer. Alot of concrete and alot of cars. I'm not sure how vegan friendly Dallas is. I'm sure there are a few restaurants but my guess is Portland would be more vegan friendly. We always had ozone alerts in the summer as well.

I've only visited Portland once it's in a different league when it comes to the outdoors. Ocean, Mountains etc.

Two completely different places.
"Simplicity is the ultimate sophistication" - Leonardo Da Vinci

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by Watty » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:47 am

I left Portland about 14 years ago in a corporate job relocation and part of the decision was because the Portland schools were having a lot of problems. That will vary a lot by school district but be sure to carefully look at the how they are doing now.

Portland housing is getting more expensive and seems to be going the the way of California where young people have a hard time affording to live there. When I lived in the Bay Area years ago I saw situations where some people had grown kids that did not have high paying jobs that could not afford to even rent an apartment so they were still living with their parents well into their 20s and for them that was not a good situation. There is no guarantee but your kids will likely live near you when they grow up so you might consider where they will fit in best as young adults trying to live on their own. Even at the current prices and low interest rates they will have a hard time affording to buy a house in Portland if they don't have high paying jobs. I live in a low to moderate cost of living area an my grown up son was able to easily afford to buy his first home with a price in the low $100s about eight miles from me. That works out nicely since we can easily drop buy to see our new grandkid.

That said I really liked Portland.and would have a hard time imaging myself living in Dallas even though I have only been there a few time.

LarryAllen
Posts: 965
Joined: Fri Apr 22, 2016 9:41 am
Location: State of Confusion

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by LarryAllen » Thu Nov 17, 2016 9:55 am

It's just two totally different places. I would say it's more about you and which one you are better suited for.

I prefer sun to clouds so I would go Dallas.

I am liberal but Portland itself (though not the suburbs) are maybe too liberal for me.

Good luck with whatever you choose. Two good choices!

newtoseattle
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:00 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by newtoseattle » Thu Nov 17, 2016 11:05 am

I've lived and practiced in Texas and am now in Washington. I would agree with above posts that they are 2 very different places. Agree that politically Texas if pretty conservative - but people are more fun! The culture of medicine is different too. In texas I would still have nurses ask if they could help me find a chart, get supplies, etc - in Washington - "not my job".

Also - the homestead exemption in Texas and the asset protection laws in general are some of the most generous in the country. Should not be a major factor, but is one more.

Having said that - the northwest is a beautiful part of the world and you can't help but be awed most days when you step outside and look around you...

User avatar
6miths
Posts: 664
Joined: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:55 pm
Location: Toronto, Canada

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by 6miths » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:48 pm

Personally, I would definitely go with Portland in terms of politics and raising a family but that would be me. I would much prefer the weather in Dallas but the vistas in Portland!

I think there are many good points being made. My impression of my time in Portland was that it was liberal and there wasn't huge pressure to keep up with the Jones's. My impression of Dallas was that it was conservative (very so to me) and there was more pressure to keep up with the Jones's. I didn't spend a great deal of time in the Dallas area so my impression may be totally incorrect particularly concerning the latter. Certainly, Texans have always struck me as warm and outgoing folk - again a generalization.

Good luck with your decision and your new practice.
'It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble. It's what you know for sure that just ain't so!' Mark Twain

sc9182
Posts: 153
Joined: Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:43 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by sc9182 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 12:52 pm

Trying to throw a historic perspective - Oregon/Portland has existed (in nondescript manner) for a long time; and only of late it got the 'California' real-estate syndrome. (BTW - never been to Portland, though visited CA, WA, Vancouver areas)

Dallas/DFW/Southlake has great living, and great place to raise kids -- too many top "Best Places to live" suburbs (including Southlake ofcourse; Frisco/West-Plano,Allen among other ritzy places also frequently makes/tops these lists)

Decent variety of food-choices in DFW, plenty of Indian food (if Vegetarian is sufficient) But if strictly Vegan -- DFW is no different than other cities for Vegan choices; Portland/CA/West-coast may be a better strictly-Vegan choice)

DFW offers a microcosm of USA - new-upcoming city/burbs, and still maintaining plenty of old-time charm. Yes 3-months of summer are very hot - luckily last 3-summers I've heard not that much hot - instead it rained a good bit - filling up all reservoirs to 100%+ capacity.

Now - there are many NEW homes being built and top-rated Builders in Southlake and DFW areas -- so you have choice of "newer/energy-efficient" homes, and many-a-customization you can do to the home - to increase quality of life for the whole family.

DFW also has variety of choices for practicing Physicians, plenty of well-recognized Hospitals, and University-Hospitals (if bored of private/partner practice charm) and/or Locum Tenens. Southlake has too many physicians though -- dunno you consider thats a good thing or not!

DFW would be great for your career and towards raising your kids. (also - if your spouse has interest to work - a variety of fields/avenues/jobs in DFW to work).

In addition to mainstream entertainment - DFW has sufficient 'quantities' of many ethnic places (hoods?) -- you get variety of restaurants/groceries/movies/entertainment of your interest.

Now - which city may be more prettier due to its natural landscape/terrain? DFW loses out to Portland/its-vicinity. But - just about EVERY major World attraction/city is one Non-stop flight away.

Biggest thing against DFW my friends say - its nearly land-locked. Drive to any other cities (non-TX cities) - is quite an undertaking !

While young/productive and with growing kids/family -- how about making a choice to excel in your career/earnings, and provide better college/education options for kids - raise wonderful family; then 'retire' to Hawaii for good (beats Portland by a margin I surmise -- though sea-locked!).

Unless you have West-coast "Startup/Venture-capital" inclination -- DFW should make a wonderful career/family choice.

There is some positive "Vibe" in/about DFW (besides Cowboys :-) -- I felt it when visited, not just talking about "being-hip" !

yellowgirl
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2015 10:12 pm
Location: Texas

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by yellowgirl » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:04 pm

Dallas is hot from June to end of September after that it is very nice. I don't like Portland since I love the sun. Texas has the best protection for physicians if you get sued. I agree with coalcracker "mommy makeover" is true!

RoadHouseFan
Posts: 279
Joined: Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by RoadHouseFan » Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:02 pm

Dallas! Can't go wrong with Texas.

Zubs
Posts: 7
Joined: Thu Nov 17, 2016 2:56 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by Zubs » Thu Nov 17, 2016 3:27 pm

My siblings and I went to Southlake schools between 1996 to 2006. We had to moved to Texas from the Midwest and I've lived in multiple states since 2006. Some of my info might be out of date.

The culture at the Southlake school's was heavily geared toward sports. They have an indoor football practice arena and an Olympic swimming pool that is better than most Colleges. The entire community was sports obsessed when I lived there. Academics at the Carroll schools were a low priority. Even though the district had and probably still has won many awards, the education I received was mediocre. I was at least a year ahead when I transferred from the Midwest.

A lot of the pros and cons have already been discussed and I would agree with most of what has been said.

I can't overemphasize the Texas heat. I always remember going from the air conditioned house to air conditioned car to the air conditioned building!

Good luck!

sls239
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by sls239 » Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:30 pm

So my brother lives outside of Portland and my sister lives outside of Dallas. My brother is actually a conservative and he loves living in Portland. He complains about liberals all the time, but he also thinks the rail system is awesome. He likes running and drinking craft beer and you can do a ton of both in Portland.

Around the metroplex, it is standard for the girls to take lessons from a makeup artist when they reach that age. There is serious pressure, IMO on the girls in those wealthier suburbs. The other thing to know is that education is political in Texas. Every year there are college professors that try desperately to get the textbook review board to abandon their pet ideas and actually choose based on what the kids need to know. And needless to say, you'll have to do your own sex-ed. That said, the suburban high schools offer a gigantic range of extracurricular activities (marching band is a good way to enjoy the football culture without actually playing football).

You might want to check the median ages for the two places as well. That can really affect how a place feels.

Traveler
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by Traveler » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:55 pm

I grew up in Portland (until age 25) and since 1997 have lived in Sacramento, Tempe and now Atlanta. Portland is a nice, relatively compact city with good public transportation and is accommodating to bicycles as well. Compared to the Phoenix and Atlanta, salaries in Portland are quite a bit lower and housing is much much higher. You may be somewhat immune to that given you're a physician.

Will you be working at Legacy Emanuel (not the best part of town, but it's coming along slowly-check out the homeless city a few blocks down the street from the hospital on Greeley that popped up in the last couple years) or Legacy Good Samaritan (in the busy Northwest part of the city, a nice but expensive area to live but with shops and restaurants within walking distance-west of the Pearl district which was old run-down warehouses when I was growing up)? Where you work may dictate where you live, depending on how you plan on getting to work and what type of housing you are looking for.

And now for the weather - it is atrociously horrible. It's very nice July-Sept but most any other time you can expect drizzly rain and cloudy skies. They go weeks, even a month + without seeing the sun. Yes, there are a lot of outdoor activities but you have to enjoy the rain to do them more than three months out of the year. Unless you ski, in which case it is usually a very long season, sometimes as early as late October going into June at the higher elevations. Portlanders also like to brag that they don't own an umbrella but being a native, I used one and many others did too.

sls239
Posts: 924
Joined: Thu Oct 23, 2008 4:04 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by sls239 » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:00 pm

I know political debates aren't allowed on here, but when I said education was political in Texas I meant it.

There's a bill in the state legislature right now that would take away the ability of a school counselor to maintain confidentiality.

I'm sure as a physician, you are aware of the importance of confidentiality so I need say no more.

gkaplan
Posts: 7034
Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gkaplan » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:03 pm

Traveler wrote:I grew up in Portland (until age 25) and since 1997 have lived in Sacramento, Tempe and now Atlanta. Portland is a nice, relatively compact city with good public transportation and is accommodating to bicycles as well. Compared to the Phoenix and Atlanta, salaries in Portland are quite a bit lower and housing is much much higher. You may be somewhat immune to that given you're a physician.

Will you be working at Legacy Emanuel (not the best part of town, but it's coming along slowly-check out the homeless city a few blocks down the street from the hospital on Greeley that popped up in the last couple years) or Legacy Good Samaritan (in the busy Northwest part of the city, a nice but expensive area to live but with shops and restaurants within walking distance-west of the Pearl district which was old run-down warehouses when I was growing up)? Where you work may dictate where you live, depending on how you plan on getting to work and what type of housing you are looking for.

And now for the weather - it is atrociously horrible. It's very nice July-Sept but most any other time you can expect drizzly rain and cloudy skies. They go weeks, even a month + without seeing the sun. Yes, there are a lot of outdoor activities but you have to enjoy the rain to do them more than three months out of the year. Unless you ski, in which case it is usually a very long season, sometimes as early as late October going into June at the higher elevations. Portlanders also like to brag that they don't own an umbrella but being a native, I used one and many others did too.
I don't own an umbrella. I have hooded Columbia Sportswear jackets that protect me better than an umbrella would, and it's a lot easier to run with a hooded jacket than it would be with an umbrella.
Gordon

gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gujm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:14 pm

Thanks everyone.

I will be working at both legacy good Samaritan and salmon Creek. Wondering if i can live in Vancouver and save on taxes.
Work will be split, maybe 50-50.
Dallas will be good for access anywhere with a big airport. Hopefully their food scene will improve too ( for vegetarians and vegans).

Thanks again for your input.

anonsdca
Posts: 176
Joined: Mon Jun 01, 2015 11:47 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by anonsdca » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:34 pm

gujm wrote:Thanks everyone.

I will be working at both legacy good Samaritan and salmon Creek. Wondering if i can live in Vancouver and save on taxes.
Work will be split, maybe 50-50.
Dallas will be good for access anywhere with a big airport. Hopefully their food scene will improve too ( for vegetarians and vegans).

Thanks again for your input.
Legacy Salmon Creek is nice, you most definitely will save on income taxes by living in WA. We live real close to this hospital and have used it. The Good Sam hospital you are talking about is directly in downtown Portland (Pearl District) which is fun, but crowded. Great food there. What kind of doc if you don't mind me asking?

gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gujm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:07 pm

Thank You. I am a Neuro doc

TravelGeek
Posts: 1815
Joined: Sat Oct 25, 2014 3:23 pm

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by TravelGeek » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:47 am

gujm wrote: Dallas will be good for access anywhere with a big airport. Hopefully their food scene will improve too ( for vegetarians and vegans).
The Portland airport is actually very nice. Not as big as DFW, and certainly not as many international flights, but it is a quick hop to SEA for Delta's new west coast hub, and SFO isn't far away either,

letsgobobby
Posts: 11198
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Nov 19, 2016 2:12 am

We have lived in the vancouver, wa area for more than ten years. My better half is from Fort Worth and we have family all over the metroplex and have spent lots of time there over the years. I went to med school in Houston.

The list of things I disliked about Tejas is about a mile long, but weather, provincialism, politics, topography, economic segregation, and excessive consumerism topped the list. You could not pay me enough to live there again, no offense to our fellow Texans. On the other hand the food is incredible, the diversity rather staggering, and it sure is a great place to make a ton of money. It's fun to go back for about 3 days every December.

Vancouver is thriving, really booming, and while it's not all that unique it is very family friendly. Depending on where you live downtown Portland is 20 minutes away except during rush hour. It's a good place to be near everything but to avoid the taxes and traffic of Portland proper.

Most of the transplants I know who love it here embrace the outdoors and the weather. We moved here specifically for both. I wanted to live where there was adequate water; a temperate climate conducive to human habitation without excessive artifical inputs; where our food could be grown locally and the culture valued local artisanal products even at a premium price. We have found all that we were looking for.

We live about ten minutes from Legacy Salmon Creek. The area is really on fire. If you work 50% here you will only pay OR taxes on the 50% of your income earned at Good Sam. That's not bad but I prefer to work exclusively in WA and pay 0% income taxes on everything.

feel free to shoot me a PM if you have specific questions about neighborhoods, cost of living, schools, etc.

User avatar
MichaelRpdx
Posts: 327
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 7:18 pm
Location: Portland, Oregon
Contact:

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by MichaelRpdx » Sat Nov 19, 2016 12:27 pm

anonsdca wrote: As pointed out, great food and wine (and beer) scene in Portland. Just can't take advantage of that at the moment because of the riots. Very sad.

The no sales tax is nice in OR. We like that. WA has no income tax and that is why we moved across the river. Much more affordable and still have the benefits of Portland.

I guess I am advocating for you to consider WA. You can do that in Vancouver and still practice in Portland.

I lived in downtown Portland for a year. Loved it, but what I see happening now there makes me disgusted. I would never support or live in that town again. My own deal--I get it.
I live in inner southeast Portland. The riot news is totally overblown. It's isolated and sporadic with the vast majority of the protesters non-violent. Heck, the main body of protestors have even created GoFundMe accounts to assist individuals and business owners with riot damage.

The vegan options are widespread and high quality. If you do opt for Washington be aware you'll be subject to Oregon state income tax if you practice here and access to Portland is limited to two bridges across the Columbia river - you'll get to enjoy sitting in traffic a lot.
Be Appropriate && Follow Your Curiosity

gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Portland vs Camas

Post by gujm » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:39 pm

[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hello again everyone.

Big THANKS to a lot of people here, we have finally made our decision and we will be moving to Portland area coming summer....Very THRILLED. Our dream come true....

We love to eat out - vegan and vegetarian foods....watch movies etc. Now comes the harder part- NE or SE Portland vs Camas. We want to send our kid to private Montessori school or IB school and would love to get some input from people living in the area.

Also, tax wise- working 2/3 time in Salmon creek and 1/3 in Downtown Portland and financially WA makes more sense to live, but would love to get input on the pros and cons of either option. (Yes- Traffic is a concern.....what else).

Thank you, everyone. You all have been great.

beardsworth
Posts: 2042
Joined: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:02 pm

Re: Portland vs Camas

Post by beardsworth » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:46 pm

It's nearly always a good idea to use that Search box at the top of the forum page to see what has previously been discussed about a subject before starting a new thread.

A search for "Camas" yielded the following results, including a lengthy thread just a few months ago, which you may find helpful.

https://www.google.com/search?sitesearc ... rg&q=camas

User avatar
Watty
Posts: 13352
Joined: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:55 pm

Re: Portland vs Camas

Post by Watty » Fri Dec 09, 2016 11:50 pm

It would be good to rent for a while and then decide once you know the area better.

Traveler
Posts: 590
Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 9:07 pm

Re: Portland vs Camas

Post by Traveler » Sat Dec 10, 2016 10:12 am

Camas isn't that close to Salmon Creek so every single day you're going to have a commute. Why not live near the Salmon Creek hospital (alleviates income tax for at least some of your income) and commute to Portland the other 1/3 of the time? NE and SE Portland are hit or miss. Some parts are awful, others are quite nice. And unless you're in inner NE (not necessarily a good part of the city), you're going to have a commute to downtown. Why live in a place where you have a commute every day when you could alleviate 1/3 or 2/3 of the commute by living close to one work location? Another part of Portland that gets overlooked (but does have crappy schools) is north Portland. Near University of Portland is quite nice despite the area's reputation. You are close to I-5 to go north to Salmon Creek and there are several ways/bridges to get downtown that don't require a freeway. Just a few thoughts from someone who grew up there.

User avatar
LadyGeek
Site Admin
Posts: 45075
Joined: Sat Dec 20, 2008 5:34 pm
Location: Philadelphia
Contact:

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by LadyGeek » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:28 pm

FYI - I merged gujm's thread back into the first one. (Easier to understand the continuity from the original question.)
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

letsgobobby
Posts: 11198
Joined: Fri Sep 18, 2009 1:10 am

Re: Portland vs Camas

Post by letsgobobby » Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:44 pm

gujm wrote:[Thread merged into here, see below. --admin LadyGeek]

Hello again everyone.

Big THANKS to a lot of people here, we have finally made our decision and we will be moving to Portland area coming summer....Very THRILLED. Our dream come true....

We love to eat out - vegan and vegetarian foods....watch movies etc. Now comes the harder part- NE or SE Portland vs Camas. We want to send our kid to private Montessori school or IB school and would love to get some input from people living in the area.

Also, tax wise- working 2/3 time in Salmon creek and 1/3 in Downtown Portland and financially WA makes more sense to live, but would love to get input on the pros and cons of either option. (Yes- Traffic is a concern.....what else).

Thank you, everyone. You all have been great.
Do you want to live in a city, or in the suburbs?

gujm
Posts: 13
Joined: Sun Oct 23, 2016 10:56 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by gujm » Sun Dec 11, 2016 10:21 pm

We have always lived in suburbs, either because of safety concerns (Detroit) or expensive cost of living. But we have fancied about how cool it would be to walk to the restaurants etc. Also, as parents to 2 yr old boy we are still learning about difficulties of raising kids. One thing we know for sure, education of our son is of paramount importance with hope for a professional career.

Any suggestions on school in either places would be helpful.

Valuethinker
Posts: 34705
Joined: Fri May 11, 2007 11:07 am

Re: Portland or Dallas (Southlake area)

Post by Valuethinker » Mon Dec 12, 2016 3:38 am

gujm wrote:Big THANKS to so many people here on this forum.

I am a physician and have seeked advice about a private practice in Las Vegas on this forum. Thank you all, I decided to move on and not join the practice.

I am conflicted between Portland (we love vegan food) and Southlake (love the schools). Any advice for either place- Financially which is better (seems like Dallas).

Also, any good advice to a new physician starting work to get on a path to financial freedom.

Thank you all.
This is about culture that you would be happy with, your kids growing up *as* (once kids hit about 8-9, the influence of peers overtakes any influence of parents).

You are going to be a *lot* better off in Texas, financially:

- cheaper housing (like for like)
- lower taxes (except maybe property taxes)
- I am sure doctors earn more money (Portland like many "liveable" places, charges a lifestyle premium, ie people accept lower compensation to live there)

It's all about which way of life you prefer. If you are a vegan, for example, I imagine that is harder to do in Dallas than in Portland!

One is "Red State" and one is "Blue State" and to some extent, they are archetypal in each form. Politics, culture, recreation, attitudes to religion etc. That said, you will be living somewhere affluent for both.

I would of course choose Portland in a flash (I am a North American who lives in Britain ;-), I'd miss the rain in Dallas ;-)) BUT good schools is a major major factor for any parent.

Post Reply