Liver

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Liver

Post by LuigiLikesPizza »

I know lots of people who recommend eating liver for health, but I have trouble with it - can't get past the flavor & texture, although we can do mild pates. Any other mild livers?

That said, wanted to pass along a new discovery - cod liver, packed in it's own oil - very mild. we spread it on pumpernickel with some raw onion and capers - delicious...not the same concerns about rancid cod liver oil.

There is a concern about contaminants and high levels of Vitamins A & D, but we're only consuming like a few ounces per month.

A votre sant.
hicabob

Re: Liver

Post by hicabob »

Try chicken liver. Mild and delicious when cooked correctly which is easy - saute in butter and garlic w/salt and pepper.
sport

Post by sport »

Look up recipes for "Chopped Liver". It is generally made with sautéed onions and hard boiled egg.
ResearchMed

Why? Re: Liver

Post by ResearchMed »

sport wrote:Look up recipes for "Chopped Liver". It is generally made with sautéed onions and hard boiled egg.
And some liver. :happy

When done "right", it's chicken liver, and the "fat" is rendered chicken fat.
Nothing else comes close. Yum.

But to OP: I love liver (chopped or otherwise), but do worry a bit about contaminants (not sure if warranted, but we don't eat it often anyway), and never thought of it as a particularly "healthy" food.

But even if it is "healthy", it's not the only healthy food, and I'm not aware of any critical nutrient that is only or best supplied by liver.

So... if you don't like it, why force it?
(I can't stand kidneys, and would never dream of going out of my way to find a recipe to use just so I could "have some". There are so many other foods I enjoy, and other healthy foods.)

Is there some other reason you are trying to figure out a way to make liver palatable?

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
blueblock

Post by blueblock »

Like you, I cannot stand cooked liver, but I enjoy most pâtés.

Have you tried liverwurst? From time to time, I really like it on a sandwich, with mayo on one side of well-toasted sourdough bread and Dijon mustard on the other, plus very thinly sliced raw onion and lettuce, with cornichons on the side.

Not much different from a charcuterie plate, come to think of it.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Is there some other reason you are trying to figure out a way to make liver palatable?
Yes, liver (for choline and other important nutrients hard to find in concentrated amounts in other foods) comes highly recommended by a couple of PhD-in-nutrition researchers that I follow. To say any more will delve into health and may get the thread locked and thread locks are such a bummer.
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Why would you want to eat a filter? :shock: JK, my wife loves chicken livers, I opt for the gizzards...
samsoes

Post by samsoes »

The liver filters toxins from the blood. Why would one want to eat it? :oops:
"Happiness Is Not My Companion" - Gen. Gouverneur K. Warren. | (Avatar is the statue of Gen. Warren atop Little Round Top @ Gettysburg National Military Park.)
TRC

Post by TRC »

samsoes wrote:The liver filters toxins from the blood. Why would one want to eat it? :oops:
If it comes from a sustainably farmed or wild animal, the liver is one of the most nutritious parts of the animal to consume: https://chriskresser.com/natures-most-potent-superfood/
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've tried it every way imaginable, mostly because it's supposed to be good for you or "healthy".

Bleh, I'm done with it.

There are no clinical studies I've found that prove its health benefits. Mostly just folklore and sciency speculation.

That being said, if you like it, enjoy! Hate to see good body parts going to waste!
Time is what we want most, but what we use worst. William Penn
GuitarXM

Post by GuitarXM »

Many cultures eat Liver.
There are lots of vitamins there. And its not something that you can eat once a month. People eat it every day.

I am originally from Russia and its a very popular dish there.
Though I never cooked it myself. I would recommend trying it at a Russian restaurant because I think you will like it.
Then you can look up recipes.
tainted-meat

Post by tainted-meat »

Liver is my favorite part of the chicken. Closely followed by the heart. :D
docbrown

Post by docbrown »

LuigiLikesPizza wrote:I know lots of people who recommend eating liver for health, but I have trouble with it - can't get past the flavor & texture, although we can do mild pates. Any other mild livers?
Maybe have the butcher mix some liver in with hamburger meat?
Roth was a Senator, not an acronym. Please, stop writing it in all caps.
spammagnet

Post by spammagnet »

Why eat organ meats? Regardless of source, organic or not, there are more palatable ways to consume a balanced, nutritious diet.
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

go eat some, hot dogs.

One could wait for the the next Market collapse, and then there will be plenty of "chopped liver". :oops: No prep needed. :happy
YCLMV
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

I like to think that if the liver is from a very young animal, such as calves' liver, it probably is OK for contaminants. I won't eat beef liver, the taste is too strong. Calves' liver (rare) and onions is delish.
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
kiddoc

Post by kiddoc »

bhsince87 wrote: There are no clinical studies I've found that prove its health benefits. Mostly just folklore and sciency speculation.

That being said, if you like it, enjoy! Hate to see good body parts going to waste!
+1.

Also, try to have small helpings if the liver belongs to a large mammal. There is a real risk of vitamin D toxicity and rarely, iron toxicity. I have seen 2 memorable and extremely serious cases in my lifetime. No further details or medical advice appropriate for this forum.
"The four most dangerous words in investing are: 'this time it's different.'" - Sir John Templeton
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

They're not suggesting that liver has magical properties. Only that it is nutrient dense (similar to egg yolks) and a amall amount per week would supply the same key nutrients found in a much larger portion of other foods - or without resorting to a host of supplements.

It's pretty much take it or leave it advice and I'm testing it out.
Swansea

Post by Swansea »

Have your uric acid level tested before eating liver on a regular basis. I ate liver a couple of times, and ended up with a gout attack, very painful.
Topic Author
LuigiLikesPizza

Not seeking health info, just explained my rationale for trying to incorporate into my diet and seeking new ways. I think the chopped chicken liver might be good. I have had this in NYC and it was good....NYC best meats, along with Montreal.
jdb

Post by jdb »

Reminds me of my high school science class many years ago before anyone knew of cholesterol and before the food pyramid was designed. We were studying nutrition, our teacher advised us that there were only three perfect foods, liver, whole milk and egg yolks. So there you have it, he sounded like an authority. And I do enjoy chopped chicken liver on crackers.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

You should try redneck pate - livermush. It is a Southern delicacy.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Fried Chicken Livers,,,,
with hot sauce....
The Best :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
ponyboy

Post by ponyboy »

samsoes wrote:The liver filters toxins from the blood. Why would one want to eat it? :oops:
You just answered your own question. The liver filters all the toxins in a body...meaning the stuff in the liver is insanely healthy. If its able to filter the toxins why wouldnt you want to eat it?
dickyboy

Post by dickyboy »

My life grinds up the liver and them mixes it with ground pork to make patties to fry in bacon grease. Very good and good for you if you don't overdo it.
Teague

Post by Teague »

ponyboy wrote:
You just answered your own question. The liver filters all the toxins in a body...meaning the stuff in the liver is insanely healthy. If its able to filter the toxins why wouldnt you want to eat it?
This "filtering" only works for the original owner, when it's living.
Semper Augustus
Ron
Location: Allentown–Bethlehem–Easton, PA-NJ Metropolitan Statistical Area

Post by Ron »

Bacon improves the taste of everything :mrgreen: ...

- Ron
rustymutt

Post by rustymutt »

itstoomuch wrote:go eat some, hot dogs.

One could wait for the the next Market collapse, and then there will be plenty of "chopped liver". :oops: No prep needed. :happy
YCLMV
You got the potted meat market cornered yet?
Even educators need education. And some can be hard headed to the point of needing time out.
obgraham

Post by obgraham »

When I was a kid, my mother fed us liver on a regular basis. I think it's an "English" thing.

I was 17 when I went off to college, and I'm proud to say I have never eaten the stuff again in the 54 years since!
mikestorm

Post by mikestorm »

Liver - > purine -> uric acid -> urate crystals -> gout

Yum.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

I used to eat liver (and actually liked it very much).

Liver and onions. Liver and bacon. Chicken livers. Get a chunk (not sliced) beef or pork liver, boil it and slice cold.

For some reason, many folks balk at the idea of liver -- and never eat it because they think they will not like it.

NOW, I no longer eat liver because I have concluded, for health reasons, that a diet of primarily "whole food plant based" is best for long term health.
Animal House

Post by Animal House »

My story is exactly the same as dm200's
“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free.” | ― Nikos Kazantzakis
smackboy1

Post by smackboy1 »

Foie gras
Disclaimer: nothing written here should be taken as legal advice, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

Teague wrote:
ponyboy wrote:
This "filtering" only works for the original owner, when it's living.
This is my understanding as well.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

When our son was a child, and we ate liver (and believed it healthful), our son said, "Liver! YUK". My wife, then, sliced the liver into small chunks, breaded them, and we told him these were "Liver NUGGETS". He love them and gobbled them up immediately. Amazing!
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

Toons wrote:Fried Chicken Livers,,,,
with hot sauce....
The Best :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:sharebeer especially with :beer
Rev012718; 4 Incm stream buckets: SS+pension; dfr'd GLWB VA & FI anntys, by time & $$ laddered; Discretionary; Rentals. LTCi. Own, not asset. Tax TBT%. Early SS. FundRatio (FR) >1.1 67/70yo
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

mikestorm wrote:
Liver - > purine -> uric acid -> urate crystals -> gout

Yum.
I need to take my colchincine.
Thanks for the reminder. :wink:
itstoomuch

Post by itstoomuch »

rustymutt wrote:
itstoomuch wrote:go eat some, hot dogs.

YCLMV
You got the potted meat market cornered yet?
Made bit of profit from owning the parent company's stock. Still own a small amount.
Eat more pate. :mrgreen: It's good for me. :greedy
SmileyFace

Post by SmileyFace »

Life is too short - if you don't like it don't eat it. There are plenty of ways to eat healthy without eating liver.
I guess I just don't understand your post.
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Liver is healthy? I guess I'm misguided. I've always put it up there with the foods my dad said he used to eat. Bacon grease sandwiches, for example. I sort of put liver and plutonium on the same level of things to eat.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
mind_boggled

Post by mind_boggled »

Your liver is not a filter in the same sense as the air filter on your AC. It neutralizes bad chemicals and sends them out of your body, your body has no interest in catching and holding on to toxins. If it did then liver cancer would be by far the most prevalent disease in the world.

Also, muscles are organs, too. Somewhere along the line certain parts of the west made an unfortunate delineation between muscle meat and all other meat and made the latter 'icky' but in most of the east the latter is the stuff of delicacy.
vveat

Post by vveat »

One of my favorite soups is leberknödelsuppe - liver dumpling soup. It may be a bit more trouble than what you are looking for, but is delicious. It takes at most an hour to make a big batch of ground liver meatballs (mixed with some ground veal, since the kids don't appreciate pure liver taste :oops: ) and freeze them in portions. The other key element for that soup is good beef broth, which also can be made once in a while and frozen. Once you have these, "assembly" of a soup portion is pretty quick and you can't beat the taste.
Kitty Telltales

Post by Kitty Telltales »

Once or twice a year I have a longing for liver. Maybe my body needs its nutrients!! My first summer job was in a diner and I learned to cook it fast in a super hot pan, smothered with onions and a side of mashed potatoes. Yumm!
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I once spent a couple of weeks in Belgium and I remember two dishes 1) Moules Frittes (mussels and fries) and 2) Calf liver. Both were incredibly tasty.
Wiki