AppleCare on MacBook Pro?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
closetoreality

AppleCare on MacBook Pro?

Post by closetoreality »

I purchased a MacBook Pro just shy of a year ago. I'm coming up on my one year mark in just a few days, which means I need to decide by then if I'm going to purchase the additional AppleCare warranty.

It is a maxed out Mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro. I believe I paid right around $3,000.00 for it. At first it seemed like a given to grab the AppleCare, however after doing some homework there are some conversations I'm seeing around the internet that are having me second guess the odds of needing it.

The AppleCare costs $349.00 and extends your warranty from 1 year to 3 years. Here is a link to the actual Apple website page for it:

http://www.apple.com/shop/product/MD012 ... acbook-pro

So, I'm reaching out for advice. Thanks in advance.
guitarguy

Re: AppleCare on MacBook Pro?

Post by guitarguy »

closetoreality wrote:I purchased a MacBook Pro just shy of a year ago. I'm coming up on my one year mark in just a few days, which means I need to decide by then if I'm going to purchase the additional AppleCare warranty.

It is a maxed out Mid-2015 15" MacBook Pro. I believe I paid right around $3,000.00 for it. At first it seemed like a given to grab the AppleCare, however after doing some homework there are some conversations I'm seeing around the internet that are having me second guess the odds of needing it.

The AppleCare costs $349.00 and extends your warranty from 1 year to 3 years. Here is a link to the actual Apple website page for it:

I got my first MacBook pro in 2010. Have never had an issue that would've required apple care. I didn't extend it beyond the 1 year. Just my experience.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

I did not buy AppleCare for our three mid 2012 MacBook Pros. This is a very different MacBook than yours. AFAIK, my MacBook is the last model that allows for user upgrade of the hard drive, RAM, battery, optical drive. This allows for easy repair or replacement of those components if they failed. My MacBook came with 4GB RAM and 512GB hard drive and I upgraded to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD for around $250 to get better performance. My wife and I have been using our macs for 2.5 years and they're still going strong. My daughter bought hers 4 years ago and has not had any hardware issues.
Wiki
guitarguy

Post by guitarguy »

DSInvestor wrote:I did not buy AppleCare for our three mid 2012 MacBook Pros. This is a very different MacBook than yours. AFAIK, my MacBook is the last model that allows for user upgrade of the hard drive, RAM, battery, optical drive. This allows for easy repair or replacement of those components if they failed. My MacBook came with 4GB RAM and 512GB hard drive and I upgraded to 16GB RAM and 1TB SSD for around $250 to get better performance.
That is all true. I upgraded to an SSD and more RAM in my 2010 just this year. Wife's 2012 will get an upgrade at some point as well. Bought hers from Apple Refurb store a few months ago.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

OP, check if the credit card you used for the original purchase does not extend the warranty by a year, for free.
RIP, Mr. Bogle.
fcb

Post by fcb »

I always buy applecare. On my most recent purchase (2012 MBP, fully loaded w/ ram, HD, processor, etc), 1 pixel stopped working after 2 years, they replaced the entire screen. A USB port stopped working, they replaced the entire logic board (the guts are fully integrated, thus they are unable to replace merely a USB port). Basically they replaced $1000s of dollars of components and it cost me just the price of Apple care. My previous machine (2008 I believe) had an issue with the battery which they replaced since it was still under Applecare. Also the power cord was completely frayed. Again, replaced under Applecare. Macs work great. Having said that, they do occasionally break down. Better safe than sorry, buy the apple care.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

The apple care will pay for a couple of AC adapters when the cords fray, so I would get it. Every macbook that I have owned (about 4 now) required major service and they were all serviced free under applecare.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

closetoreality wrote:I purchased a MacBook Pro just shy of a year ago. I'm coming up on my one year mark in just a few days, which means I need to decide by then if I'm going to purchase the additional AppleCare warranty.

The one time I did not buy applecare I needed it. How careful are you with it and how much traveling around does it do?

It you cart it around a lot, get the warranty.
vbdoug

Post by vbdoug »

Absolutely yes.
kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin »

AppleCare is an extended warranty worth buying. I'm a strong advocate for it for a number of reasons in no particular order:

#1. Three years of warranty coverage + any additional credit card coverage. For me, that's two years of CC coverage. This brings my 2013 MacBook into 2018 for warranty. That should about cover my usage.

#2. Any Apple components bought during the AppleCare warranty period are covered under the AppleCare. Cables, adapters, cords, keyboards, mice, Time Capsule, etc. I usually replace 2-3 cords at no cost, no questions asked.

#3. Phone support is good. I was having terrible network issues I could not resolve on my own. They spent a good deal of time troubleshooting until the issue was fully resolved.

#4. They don't seem to be "bean counters" when it comes to dealing with AppleCare customers. They go out of their way to satisfy.

You can buy AppleCare for cheaper than the Apple Store at B&H Photo Video.
finite_difference

Post by finite_difference »

I think AppleCare is worth it, since the customer service is great and it's nice peace of mind knowing your computer will work perfect for a full 3 years.

Chances are you won't need it but it can pay for itself. So if you are really trying to save, then you can skip it.

I wish they had a 5 year plan.
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh
BIGal

Post by BIGal »

Apple Care is terrific....their customer service representatives do an excellent job....Our first computer was a Commodore 64 and now use Apple products.....I highly recommend AppleCare, worth every penny.
Pugs1351

Post by Pugs1351 »

Be aware that AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage to your MacBook. It only covers defects in their product.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

Pugs1351 wrote:Be aware that AppleCare doesn't cover accidental damage to your MacBook. It only covers defects in their product.
That's correct although it is different for phones.

Extended warranties are rarely worth the cost. If you have had no trouble with your Mac over a year and it mostly sits on your desk, then the odds are you'll be fine.

Considere Apple refurbs if you want an extended warranty. Usually there is no noticeable difference between new and used and the savings will pay for the warranty.
Last edited by Pajamas on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

I do buy applecare, but never any other extended warranties. Our experience has been a lot different than yours below. Going on ~8 MacBooks in the last six years or so (kids' college & grad school), and only one had a problem. Replaced the HD when it started to falter. Also have scored replacement (new) cords due to fraying, and a replacement Time Capsule (covered under the Macbook applecare).

Every macbook that I have owned (about 4 now) required major service and they were all serviced free under applecare.
Last edited by Big Dog on Tue Nov 15, 2016 11:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

I've managed a small (7-10 units) fleet of Mac hardware for the past 8 years. Purchased AppleCare for every one, and never once had a need to make a claim. At an average of $350 per unit, I figure I've spent about $7500 on insurance that I've never used. Put that way, if I had to fully replace less than one machine in seven during the coverage period, it'd be cheaper to just toss them (to the recycler) and buy new. Right now I'm 0 for 22.

So the long and short of it is the hardware is incredibly high-quality, but also incredibly expensive. So it's very unlikely that you'll experience a serious failure, but the non-warranty costs are astronomical if you do. My experience tells me that in any volume, you come out WAY ahead not buying the plan. But for a single unit, who knows? Do you take the guaranteed loss of $350 as a hedge against the slim chance of losing some portion (or all) of $3,000?

That said, I'll still probably buy AppleCare in the future, for two reasons: 1) It's a lot easier to get my director of finance to swallow a $350 add-on to a current purchase (which is already insanely expensive relative to the rest of the laptop fleet) than $3,000 to replace the laptop I bought last year. 2) Each member of my staff costs me about $500-600/day fully loaded, so it wouldn't take much administrative overhead to eat up the savings I'd get from forgoing the plan. Any time I can cut a check to save time (within reason), I'm going to do so.

If I ever replace the 2008 iMac I have at home? Think I'll roll the dice on that one.

If you're also buying a Time Capsule, definitely get the plan on that. Those things die if someone sneezes three states away
anoop

Post by anoop »

I have a 2010 MBP. At around the 3 year mark, under AC, the SuperDrive (malfunctioning), battery (< 80% charge), and power supply (splitting ends, common problem with magsafe) were replaced.

Problems 1 cannot happen now and I don't know if USB power supplies still have the splitting issue, and the only thing left is the battery and of course the rest of the unit. The only other common problem I have seen is that the displays develop defects in the coating.
http://www.macrumors.com/2015/10/17/app ... staingate/
If you're under AC, any such defects would be covered with no hassle (until they figure out whether to cover it for everyone else).

Finally, you can get AC for much less from other vendors. Not 100% sure about the process, but I think you buy it and then register your machine using its serial number under that. You just need to make sure you're getting the right one. For example, this will save you $70.00.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... or_15.html
Last edited by anoop on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Pill

Post by Pill »

My mid 2012, had an mother board issue, so I took it in to the apple store, and they said they could fix it in house for $500, or mail it to their sister company for $310 and would be complete in a week. I was under the impression they will fix anything and everything for $310.

So I paid $310, and works like no pc every could. :D

So I say no to the extended warranty. But if you have any problems just take it in. It won't be that much.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

My 2011 MBP has needed a logic board replaced twice at about $450/ replacement.

Apple covered it in full even though my warranty expired since it was apparently a design issue.

Should have two more years of use and then I expect it'll go again and I might as well get a new model as coverage for that issue ends in Dec.

I'd never get the extend ended warranty. If I get bad luck, I don't expect it that often and Apple has been very good about covering the systematic flaws.
stickman731

Post by stickman731 »

I would vote yes - I live in an Apple Universe and love it. I got into their universe because I found that all their devices last longer the Window-based systems. My iMac is 6-7 years old and still working extremely well (just update to latest iOS without issue). I buy the most up to date hardware, fastest processor and most memory.

I have all Apple devices - iMac, MacBook Air, iPhone, AppleTV and Apple Watch. We had to use AppleCare warranty with my college age son 2 yr old MacBook Pro - they could not repair it (Hard drive failure - thankful he had an iCloud backup) and he got a brand new fully loaded computer. If you are a heavy user it is worth it.

For me personally, I only used it twice on my Apple Watch - battery would not hold a charge and then the face got scratched replaced without issue replaced with a new watch - 5 mins in the store - no question just replaced,
URSnshn

Post by URSnshn »

I vote a heart yes as well. I never buy things like this, but the Apple Care Warranty is the exception. Love it! Glad I have it and it has been well worth money if only for the customer service.
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

Extended warranty! How can I lose?
--Homer Simpson
Warranties are a form of insurance, and you should only insure against catastrophic losses, or you'll be just padding the profit margins of the companies who offer them. And the profit margins on extended warranties are very high. Is losing your $1500 computer a catastrophic loss? If you know that you're significantly rougher on laptops than the average person (in a way that would be covered by the warranty), then that might be a good reason to do otherwise.

If you do decide to purchase it, set a note on your calendar and buy it just before the included 1 year runs out. You can extend the warranty as long as it's still in effect, and this protects you from the very awkward case of spending hundreds of dollars on an extended warranty, and then having your computer get stolen/destroyed in a way that isn't covered by it anyway.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

100% yes on Applecare. I had someone at the genius bar seriously bail me out when I was in law school and my macbook died without warning during a lecture. I didn't have Applecare and it was a few months past the end of the one year warranty, but he took pity on a penniless student and authorized about $1000 in free parts/labor to get it back up and running. I won't ever bank on that happening again, so I always advocate getting Applecare -- especially if you travel or commute a lot with your computer, it's not just a full-on drop or smash that will cause a failure, but also the day-to-day jostles/vibrations that can throw it off. Do it and you have one less thing to worry about is my opinion. (and use iCloud or Dropbox religiously)
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

in_reality wrote:My 2011 MBP has needed a logic board replaced twice at about $450/ replacement.

Apple covered it in full even though my warranty expired since it was apparently a design issue.

Should have two more years of use and then I expect it'll go again and I might as well get a new model as coverage for that issue ends in Dec.

I'd never get the extend ended warranty. If I get bad luck, I don't expect it that often and Apple has been very good about covering the systematic flaws.
My MacBook Pro bought June 2015 had the logic board go last week. Cost is 450 to repair. Steps to repair are incredibly complex or I'd do it myself. I wonder if this is a common issue.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

I purchased our MacBook Pro almost two years ago and it has by far been the best computer I have ever used. There are now no more Windows computers in the house! I also have a 15" laptop.

To answer your question, I have not purchased any AppleCare (knock on wood) extended warranties on any products to date.

Best.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
mud

Post by mud »

anoop wrote: Finally, you can get AC for much less from other vendors. Not 100% sure about the process, but I think you buy it and then register your machine using its serial number under that. You just need to make sure you're getting the right one. For example, this will save you $70.00.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/ ... or_15.html
Yes, do this. B&H is a great outlet for applecare. Totally above board, you should have no qualms about purchasing from them.

LA Computer Company is the other source I use. Again, totally legit, have purchased AC from them multiple times, never any hassles.
http://lacomputercompany.com/cgi-bin/rp ... up=appcare

If time is of the essence, go the B&H route, as it will arrive more quickly. If you have a couple of weeks, LA Computer Company will likely save you a few bucks but may take a little longer to arrive.
in_reality

Post by in_reality »

MathWizard wrote:
in_reality wrote:My 2011 MBP has needed a logic board replaced twice at about $450/ replacement.

My MacBook Pro bought June 2015 had the logic board go last week. Cost is 450 to repair. Steps to repair are incredibly complex or I'd do it myself. I wonder if this is a common issue.
Did you have video card issues? 2015 models are past the problem that was in mine. Haven't heard about another batch. Ask Apple if it's the same issue.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

As usual with extended warranties, they only make sense to sell because most people don't use them.

I bought Apple Care on my MacBook back in 2011. Hindsight it was a waste. Although I did go in about a week before it expired and complained my battery life was as good when I bought it. They replaced it even though their diagnostic software said it was within specifications. So I basically paid for someone to replace a battery. In my experience Apple services have gotten more tight about what they'll do for the customer when it comes to borderline/not really borderline but we want happy customers so we'll take the hit.

Please note, it doesn't not cover accidental damage so if you think you might be clumsy consider buying the computer from best buy and getting geek squad protection which covers accidents as well.
MathWizard

Post by MathWizard »

in_reality wrote:
MathWizard wrote:

Did you have video card issues? 2015 models are past the problem that was in mine. Haven't heard about another batch. Ask Apple if it's the same issue.

https://www.apple.com/support/macbookpro-videoissues/
This was diagnosed by a computer repair center that I know, and which is very good.

The screen dims and the laptop becomes unresponsive within seconds after boot up to the login screen.
I've tried many keyboard tricks (holding certain keys combos down while powering up that are supposed to reset various settings to no avail.
JupiterJones

Post by JupiterJones »

FWIW, I've owned Macs since 1994.

Never bought any sort of extended warranty on any of them.

Never regretted it.
Stay on target...
ianferrel

Post by ianferrel »

themesrob wrote:100% yes on Applecare. I had someone at the genius bar seriously bail me out when I was in law school and my macbook died without warning during a lecture. I didn't have Applecare and it was a few months past the end of the one year warranty, but he took pity on a penniless student and authorized about $1000 in free parts/labor to get it back up and running. I won't ever bank on that happening again
I'm amused by this, because your experience actually supports not buying Applecare.

It's apparently possible to get the benefits without even buying it! Sure, you probably won't, but just the possibility lowers the expected value of buying the warranty :)
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

MathWizard wrote:

My mid 2014 unit had the logic board go a few months back - it needed to be replaced under Apple Care. It happened the same day there was a coffee spill in the area; although I cleaned it quickly there were some drops that hit the computer. Luckily, the moisture indicators didn't flag it.
DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor »

abner kravitz wrote: My mid 2014 unit had the logic board go a few months back - it needed to be replaced under Apple Care. It happened the same day there was a coffee spill in the area; although I cleaned it quickly there were some drops that hit the computer. Luckily, the moisture indicators didn't flag it.
Regarding coffee spill, I use a keyboard cover on my MacBook pro that offers a little protection from minor spills. $8.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F ... UTF8&psc=1
Wiki
abner kravitz

Post by abner kravitz »

DSInvestor wrote:
abner kravitz wrote: My mid 2014 unit had the logic board go a few months back - it needed to be replaced under Apple Care. It happened the same day there was a coffee spill in the area; although I cleaned it quickly there were some drops that hit the computer. Luckily, the moisture indicators didn't flag it.
Regarding coffee spill, I use a keyboard cover on my MacBook pro that offers a little protection from minor spills. $8.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007F ... UTF8&psc=1
Thanks, I'm getting one.
themesrob

Post by themesrob »

ianferrel wrote:
themesrob wrote:100% yes on Applecare. I had someone at the genius bar seriously bail me out when I was in law school and my macbook died without warning during a lecture. I didn't have Applecare and it was a few months past the end of the one year warranty, but he took pity on a penniless student and authorized about $1000 in free parts/labor to get it back up and running. I won't ever bank on that happening again
I'm amused by this, because your experience actually supports not buying Applecare.

It's apparently possible to get the benefits without even buying it! Sure, you probably won't, but just the possibility lowers the expected value of buying the warranty :)
Ha, no, I get that -- and I wish anyone in that situation has the same luck. But my takeaway was that if that was what would have happened if I had Applecare, I will always, always get Applecare (especially since I am no longer a wild-eyed student who came in carrying three casebooks and mumbling about the tax code). ymmv!
samjuno

Would buy it again

Post by samjuno »

Had AppleCare on my mid-2012 MBP. The Apple store person told me to bring it in a month before AppleCare expired and they would check it out & any questionable parts would be replaced for free. It came back with new ram & some other parts they thought were borderline. The repairs+parts would have cost more than AppleCare.
Ervin

Post by Ervin »

Any product that needs the purchase of an extended warranty is not worth buying in the first place.
RIP, Mr. Bogle.
traveltoomuch

Post by traveltoomuch »

Jags4186 wrote:As usual with extended warranties, they only make sense to sell because most people don't use them.
Which leads to a perhaps-useful guiding question: what are you likely to do when faced with an issue? It a power brick fails, are you likely to even bother working with Apple to have the warranty pay for it (v. just buying a replacement)? If you're going to buy a replacement, how likely are you to spend $80 at retail v. $30 on Ebay? If something bigger happens, will you be tempted to say "this machine is due for replacement anyway; I should just buy something new"? Will you be willing to find the $310 depot repair option and send the machine away v. paying $500 for a local repair (using Phil's number - no new data here)?

Personally, I don't buy AppleCare even though I'm historically hard on machines. Instead, I buy lower-end (cheaper!) machines to begin with, which makes the downside risk of self-insuring much more palatable.
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

traveltoomuch wrote:
Jags4186 wrote:As usual with extended warranties, they only make sense to sell because most people don't use them.
Which leads to a perhaps-useful guiding question: what are you likely to do when faced with an issue? It a power brick fails, are you likely to even bother working with Apple to have the warranty pay for it (v. just buying a replacement)? If you're going to buy a replacement, how likely are you to spend $80 at retail v. $30 on Ebay? If something bigger happens, will you be tempted to say "this machine is due for replacement anyway; I should just buy something new"? Will you be willing to find the $310 depot repair option and send the machine away v. paying $500 for a local repair (using Phil's number - no new data here)?

Personally, I don't buy AppleCare even though I'm historically hard on machines. Instead, I buy lower-end (cheaper!) machines to begin with, which makes the downside risk of self-insuring much more palatable.
The average person will come out ahead never buying the extended warranty and simply paying for replacements as you go.

Me personally, I like Macs. However, if my computer crapped out today I would look at the price of a repair vs. the cost to replace with a comparable used model. Depending on what is actually wrong with the computer I would make the decision. Broken power cord--replace/repair part. Problem with the power supply shorting out the motherboard--consider replacing if I'm not confident that it's going to be a non-recurring issue.

Computers are so good nowadays that I highly doubt that today's brand new Macbook pros will provide any meaningful boost in performance over my 5 year old Macbook Air when it comes to watching youtube videos, browsing the internet, and using spreadsheets. Maybe I'll feel different in 2020 and then I'd consider finally upgrading to the latest and greatest.
Big Dog

Post by Big Dog »

If you're going to buy a replacement, how likely are you to spend $80 at retail v. $30 on Ebay?
Be careful about purchasing apple stuff on amazon or e-bay; oftentimes it is not OEM, and the plugs may not fit snugly.
spooky105

Post by spooky105 »

Food for thought:

I recently purchased a used 2013 MBP on CL (16GB RAM, 1 TB SSD...something like $3,000+ retail price when it was new). I got home and discovered it didn't sit flat on the table (bottom bulging). I took it to the local Apple-certified repair shop, and they ID'd the issue as a swollen battery. The previous owner used the laptop almost exclusively as a desktop, and it had a battery cycle count of about 30. I contacted Apple and argued that a battery that is effectively brand new (estimated cycle life of ~1,000) should not be having this issue, and it was clearly defective. Although the battery checked out as "normal" based on charge capacity and other metrics (tying the first level tech's hands), after getting the issue elevated to a supervisor Apple comp'd the part (which is actually the entire top case, including the track pad, as the batteries are glued in). The repair cost me about $140 in labor vs an initial quote of over $400 including parts and labor.

The customer service experience was phenomenal btw...the first level tech was great to work with and the first thing out of the supervisor's mouth was "my name is xxxx; I work on these days of the week, from these hours; here is my direct phone number." Apple made a remark in their system based on the computer's serial number, and my local shop had the part in a couple of days. All I ever saw was the bill for labor.

My takeaway based on this and various recalls (for lack of a better term) that Apple has had over the years is that they make a good faith effort to stand behind their products. Repairs won't necessarily be free, but the costs are reasonable and probably less than Applecare. Yes, going without Applecare may require a little more work on the customer's end.