Two Plumbing Tools

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
azurekep

Two Plumbing Tools

Post by azurekep »

For the DIYers out there:

1. For under-sink work, do you find basin wrenches much easier to use than regular wrenches -- enough that one would be worth purchasing?

2. Is Liquid Wrench much better than WD-40 for corroded parts such as faucet-handle stem nuts that refuse to budge?
BIGal

Re: Two Plumbing Tools

Post by BIGal »

Yes and Yes...a basin wrench in many cases is not much easier than a "regular" wrench...it is the ONLY wrench that will work because of the small area you have to work with.....also, for corroded parts LW is superior to WD40 in my opinion.
mhc

Post by mhc »

1. For my kitchen sink, I can only use a basin wrench. For my bathroom sinks, I have not needed a basin wrench. For under sink work, a head lamp is also really great.
Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams »

pshonore

Post by pshonore »

Most of the faucets I've worked on in the last 10 years don't require a basin wrench. They come with extensions attached to connect to the water source. However you certainly may need one to remove an older faucet. In some cases its just easier to cut the supply pipe where you can and just attach an appropriate fitting to replace. Laying under a sink with 2/3 of my body sticking out is certainly one of my favorite pastimes.

I wish someone would develop something to replace the slip joint plastic drain fittings that always seem to leak. We recently replaced a double bowl kitchen sink with a single. That meant the trap did not line up with the through the wall pipe. Not an insurmountable problem but a pain none the less.
fire5soon

Post by fire5soon »

A basin wrench is so worth the maybe $10 they cost. I've used mine to do probably a dozen installs for my home and relatives homes over the years. It's worth its weight in gold in tight spaces IMO.
A man is a success if he gets up in the morning and gets to bed at night, and in between he does what he wants to do. - Bob Dylan
Kosmo

Post by Kosmo »

Yes to the basin wrench. They aren't going to break the bank and I have found other uses for them in similar shaped crevices to behind a sink.

I can't say anything about the liquid wrench. Every time I've experienced corroded parts I've been replacing them. So destroying them in the removal process was OK (i.e., cutting off bolts instead of loosening the stuck nut).
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

I've moved from Liquid Wrench to Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. IMO, it' works even better and doesn't have such a strong smell. You can usually find it at the bix box home stores.

https://www.amazon.com/Blaster-16-PB-Pe ... B000I2079E
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams
btenny

Post by btenny »

yes and yes. Spend $10 to get the wrench and make the job easier. It might allow you to actually remove the old rusted nuts without stripping them. When I needed to use Liquid Wrench to get old nuts removed I usually replaced the faucet and associated nuts and hardware with new parts.

Good Luck
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

pshonore wrote: Laying under a sink with 2/3 of my body sticking out is certainly one of my favorite pastimes.
Yep. That's where I am right now. Old plumbing is starting to break down, so I'm replacing it. As soon as I replace one handle and run water to clear the debris, a leak develops under the bathroom sink. I tighten the nut causing the leak and the second handle starts leaking. I try fixing the second handle and a new leak develops under the sink. The system is being stressed, I guess, by have a stronger water flow after clearing the debris, and just being jiggled aorund a bit. Since I'm spending so much time under the sink, it would be nice to have an easier way to tighten the nuts. I can see them (with great effort), but a headlight would help. As would something with a long handle. That's why I was thinking of a basin wrench. But I wasn't sure the jaws were as easy to work as is claimed.
Last edited by azurekep on Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Topic Author
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

bhsince87 wrote:I've moved from Liquid Wrench to Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. IMO, it' works even better and doesn't have such a strong smell. You can usually find it at the bix box home stores.

That's one thing I was wondering about -- the odor. There must be a lot of different formulations for these penetrating oils since some have a very strong odor and some don't. I started the current job with wd40 since it was on hand, even though it's not a penetrating oil per se. It doesn't have an appreciable smell so I did the minimum of ventilation. But with some of these products, the odor reportedly lingers around for days. If Liquid Wrench has a strong odor and the one you mention doesn't, that would be a plus in it's favor.
pshonore

Post by pshonore »

azurekep wrote:
pshonore wrote: Laying under a sink with 2/3 of my body sticking out is certainly one of my favorite pastimes.
Yep. That's where I am right now. Old plumbing is starting to break down, so I'm replacing it. As soon as I replace one handle and run water to clear the debris, a leak develops under the sink. I tighten the nut causing the leak and the second handle starts leaking. I try fixing the second handle and a new leak develops under the sink. The system is being stressed, I guess, by have a stronger water flow after clearing the debris, and just being jiggled aorund a bit. Since I'm spending so much time under the sink, it would be nice to have an easier way to tighten the nuts. I can see them (with great effort), but a headlight would help. As would something with a long handle. That's why I was thinking of a basin wrench. But I wasn't sure the jaws were as easy to work as is claimed.
The jaws usually work well and being able flip them 180 degrees can make tightening or loosening easier, but it all depends on how long that fitting has been "undisturbed".
bhsince87

Post by bhsince87 »

azurekep wrote:
bhsince87 wrote:I've moved from Liquid Wrench to Blaster Penetrating Catalyst. IMO, it' works even better and doesn't have such a strong smell. You can usually find it at the bix box home stores.

That's one thing I was wondering about -- the odor. There must be a lot of different formulations for these penetrating oils since some have a very strong odor and some don't. I started the current job with wd40 since it was on hand, even though it's not a penetrating oil per se. It doesn't have an appreciable smell so I did the minimum of ventilation. But with some of these products, the odor reportedly lingers around for days. If Liquid Wrench has a strong odor and the one you mention doesn't, that would be a plus in it's favor.
To be clear, the PB Blaster stuff has a very strong naptha-like smell straight out of the can. But it doesn't last long. It's obvious the smell comes from the carrier evaporating. But once it's gone, it's pretty much gone.

Liquid Wrench is different, in that it has a strong petroleum smell. It's not as sharp or offensive out of the can, but it lasts a very long time, especially if you get it on your hands.

That aside, PB Blaster is just in a different league when it comes to loosening stuff. It works great on copper/brass too.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace." Samuel Adams

Post by 123 »

Is your plumbing the standard traditional chrome metal pipe or is stuff mostly plastic? The tools needed will differ.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.