Wife's Colleague Scratched our car with his car

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
vbsrisri

Wife's Colleague Scratched our car with his car

Post by vbsrisri »

Hi Bogleheads Family,

Today my wife colleague scratched our car with his car at wife's office parking lot. There are no dents, and slight scratches which are visible when looked from near distance.

I got an estimate from body collision, they said they will replace bumper for 1200$ including parts and labor.

I am not sure if it is really worth to pay 1200$ even if wife's colleague insurance will be covering it. Even from an environmental perspective, I don't its right decision to scrap current bumper just for scratch.

I am not sure what do I need to do in this case. Can any automobile experts give advice?. If I decide not to replace the part, can you suggest how to cover up these small white scratches. My car is Prius V black.

Thanks in advance.
tacster

Re: Wifes Colleague Scratched our car with his car

Post by tacster »

If not too severe, minor scratches can sometimes be touched up and/or polished out. Auto detailers do that sort of thing. Don't know what you'd be looking at costwise.
INSERT PITHY QUOTE HERE
sambb

Post by sambb »

forget about it
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

Hopefully it hasn't been reported to insurance, in my state it seems to be below reporting thresh-hold to authorities. How about asking colleague to cover cost of "detailing" out of pocket?
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

Weird that they want to replace it instead of just repainting it. Did they remove it to inspect for damage underneath or something?
Jack FFR1846

Re: Wife's Colleague Scratched our car with his car

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

My wife's Crosstrek was hit when it was about a week old in the church parking lot. Unfortunately, in our case, it was hit and run. The rear bumper was pushed in on the corner. I used heat and was patient pushing it out but it had caused a small rip in the lower black section. I haven't bothered to do anything further. It isn't a Ferrari. Looks good enough to me.

In your case, if it's just scratches, how about a black sharpie? Heck....Eric Clapton used one on his blackie stratocaster. That strat is worth way more than a prius.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
Bonnan

Post by Bonnan »

For $25/30 you can buy pro materials and diy. There are situations that occur in life for which there are no remedies. God helps them who help themselves.
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

DIY with touchup paint. It could have been worse. It could have been a grocery cart. :wink: Scratches like this are inevitable.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
keith6014

Post by keith6014 »

sambb wrote:forget about it
+1
Topic Author
vbsrisri

Post by vbsrisri »

Thanks all for the valuable advice.

Just now I had talked to my neighbor who is an expert in automobiles. He said the scratch is deep, and it damaged the inner coating, not just outer layer or something like that. He suggested to go to the collision shop and get another quote in addition to quote from the showroom.

And the guy who hit the car has already reported to his insurance. I was trying to help him out so that his insurance premium doesn't go up but looks like he has already reported.

I think now I should report to my insurance too. If I need to go to insurance, does this accident go into my car history and affect my car sale price. My second question is some insurance providers does provide OEM parts. How should I handle this scenario if other party insurance doesn't agree for OEM.

Thanks in advance.
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

Report it to your insurance. Many companies require it to be reported anyways.
mouses

Post by mouses »

vbsrisri wrote:Hi Bogleheads Family,

Today my wife colleague scratched our car with his car at wife's office parking lot. There are no dents, and slight scratches which are visible when looked from near distance.
I would get a bottle of touch up paint. Or I would do nothing.
DoubleClick

Post by DoubleClick »

You to get the money but using it to fix the car is your choice.
squirm

Post by squirm »

Why is this even a topic. Touch up paint or buff it out.
Topic Author
vbsrisri

Post by vbsrisri »

Thanks all for the advice and time.
inverter

Post by inverter »

vbsrisri wrote:Just now I had talked to my neighbor who is an expert in automobiles. He said the scratch is deep, and it damaged the inner coating, not just outer layer or something like that. He suggested to go to the collision shop and get another quote in addition to quote from the showroom.
What he is saying is that it penetrated through the clear coat. This can be serious, as it can cause rust depending on the conditions. I would confer with a body shop to have it filled, even if you decline to have the bumper replaced.
Shackleton

Post by Shackleton »

I'm kind of surprised at the $1200 for a "scratched" bumper. I scratched the bumper of a rental car (Dodge Charger) that was definitely deep enough that it was more than just paint/buff, and they only charged me $150 to repair it. The scratch was about 10" long, and deep enough that you could feel the fibers or whatever that make up the bumper material (some sort of carbon fiber? I really don't know.)

I'd look at getting another estimate.
“Superhuman effort isn't worth a damn unless it achieves results.” ~Ernest Shackleton
Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 »

If the colleague caused the damage I assume he or his insurance is paying for it, a reputable body shop should care of it, If you're not paying why would you be concerned about the price.
If it is coming out of your pocket its best to get at least three estimates. You will probably notice a large variation in amounts
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Youtube it - how to repair scratches on a bumper. You do not need to replace an entire bumper if there are zero dents and the bumper is in working order. In most cases, these scratches can be buffed out, if they can not be buffed out, use bondo to fill in the scratch, then sand, then fine sand it, then use matching body paint. If you want to spend extra money out of your own pocket, you can have the auto body place do it, if you want to spend even extra money, have the auto body place replace the bumper cover. Frankly, I think that is overkill, the car is going to get scratched just driving it, drive it on a highway, park it at a shopping mall.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
BackOfTheNet

Post by BackOfTheNet »

Reminds me of a funny(ish) time I got bumped in a parking lot. Young girl was backing out of a parking space and gently tapped my car. We both get out and examine the damage (small scratch on my car) and I tell her that it's fine and not to worry about it. She says something like "Are you sure? OK, I'm counting down 3...2...1". I was dumbfounded, here I am trying to be reasonable and this person is giving me the toddler treatment. Plus, I'm confident counting down from 3 will not hold up in court if I changed my mind. "But your honor I counted down from 3, clearly I am not liable" :oops:
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

Everyone knows you have to count down from 10 for it to be legal. :D
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
daveatca

Relax

Post by daveatca »

Here is another way to look at it.
We had a 2000 Passat. Got hail damage (minor dents, about 50+) in 2003.
Decided to do nothing.
Did not affect the value of the car when traded in in 2015.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

I got an estimate from body collision, they said they will replace bumper for 1200$ including parts and labor.

I am not sure if it is really worth to pay 1200$ even if wife's colleague insurance will be covering it. Even from an environmental perspective, I don't its right decision to scrap current bumper just for scratch.

I am not sure what do I need to do in this case. Can any automobile experts give advice?. If I decide not to replace the part, can you suggest how to cover up these small white scratches. My car is Prius V black.

Thanks in advance.
I don't fix scratches and dents. If someone wants to give me money for the damage (damager or insurance company) I take it. I mean, if it is terrible sure, fix it, but if it is minimal, it helps me remember that the car is a pretty minor part of my life. I've never had a car that stayed unscratched for very long.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
ved

Post by ved »

I may have missed this - but how old is the car?

If it is a few months old, then the "new baby" syndrome may still be there, and I can understand that you want to make it pristine again.
If it is more than a couple years old, then what's the big deal? Just touch up, and move on.
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

ved wrote:I may have missed this - but how old is the car?

If it is a few months old, then the "new baby" syndrome may still be there, and I can understand that you want to make it pristine again.
If it is more than a couple years old, then what's the big deal? Just touch up, and move on.
I suffered from new baby syndrome for first 4 years of new car ownership, after that it became "what can I do" syndrome - living in NYC can be harsh on a car.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
ved

Post by ved »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote: I suffered from new baby syndrome for first 4 years of new car ownership, after that it became "what can I do" syndrome - living in NYC can be harsh on a car.
Look at it this way - you are helping your baby prepare for the tough world out there.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Get a can of Dupont's white polishing compound at your local auto parts store. It used to be sold as a scratch remover and it works wonders. Best $4 bucks on car stuff I ever spent.
Rodc

Post by Rodc »

White Coat Investor wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I don't fix scratches and dents. If someone wants to give me money for the damage (damager or insurance company) I take it. I mean, if it is terrible sure, fix it, but if it is minimal, it helps me remember that the car is a pretty minor part of my life. I've never had a car that stayed unscratched for very long.
This is my approach.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

What folks are calling a "bumper" is actually a plastic bumper cover. It won't rust, and a DIY'er can't buff or polish it out. "slight scratches which are visible when looked from near distance." I would find the nearest matching touch-up color and forget it. If the nearest color is only available in a spray can, spray the paint into a cup or whatever and then dip the paint brush in it.

FYI: Google "prius rear bumper cover" and you will see they are obtainable for about $60+30 shipping, primed and ready to paint, from carparts.com and others.
Last edited by tinscale on Sat Nov 12, 2016 7:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
ClevrChico

Post by ClevrChico »

Rubbing alcohol may take a majority of marring out.

I've had this type of thing several times, and I've just let it go. No need to cry over spilled milk when you treat your car as an appliance.
Watty

Post by Watty »

ved wrote:I may have missed this - but how old is the car?

+1

And how long to you expect to keep it? If you expect to sell the car while it still has significant value the the buyer will deduct the cost of the repair from it.

When I have been in a fender bender one question on the insurance forms was something like "Was there any unrepaired damage to the car?" If you are in a future fender bender that needs a repair then the insurance company handling that may balk at paying the full cost of the repair.

Since the claim process has been started their is really no going back. I would just get it repaired.