Amazon Echo

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
WolfgangPauli

Re: Amazon Echo

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Nov 27, 2016 5:05 am

I forgot to mention: Ford is now integrating your car with Alexa. So, from your Echo you can now tell it to "start my car" and for those who have a hybrid or electric car, before you leave you can ask Alexa "how much charge do I have left" and it will tell you your range.

Finally, i have seen the Alexa integration into the Ford where you just tell the car to open or close your garage door and it opens and closes...

Welcome to the world of AI!!
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Sun Nov 27, 2016 8:16 am

WolfgangPauli wrote:I forgot to mention: Ford is now integrating your car with Alexa. So, from your Echo you can now tell it to "start my car" and for those who have a hybrid or electric car, before you leave you can ask Alexa "how much charge do I have left" and it will tell you your range.

Finally, i have seen the Alexa integration into the Ford where you just tell the car to open or close your garage door and it opens and closes...

Welcome to the world of AI!!

I'm a frequent Amazon shopper, and every few months I look for an excuse to get an Echo.

If it could plug in my Tesla when I forget, that would be it. Until then, my iPhone app will do.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sun Nov 27, 2016 10:19 am

I just bought the Dot. My old roommate had the full fledged Echo and I really missed it after he moved out. I have a really nice Bose speaker I will plug it into.

I really wanted to buy one after he left but couldn't justify the cost. Now that they dropped that price to $40 I decided to pull the trigger.

bthreadg

Post by bthreadg » Sun Nov 27, 2016 11:52 am

Ford is .. integrating your car with Alexa.
i have seen the integration where you tell the car to open or close your garage door

Thanks for adding to this thread.
I've seen the youtube video demonstrating similar functionality.
Would be very interested in hearing from readers/posters who own a Ford with the SYNC 3, or BMW or Genesis/Hyundai, and Alexa integration.

Specifically, to know whether you can access the +5,000 skills and various podcasts (flash briefing) from your vehicle.

Brent

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:57 pm

DW just opened this as her "one" present to open on Christmas Eve. It is a big hit so far, but was a PITA to set up--probably due to her mangled cell phone settings. We ended up using my cell phone to set it up. But at least I think we "front-ran" the crush on Amazon's servers that is certainly to come on Christmas Day.

Saphomd

Post by Saphomd » Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:26 pm

Can I ask Echo how the stock market is doing?

Bmac

Post by Bmac » Sun Dec 25, 2016 9:09 pm

Saphomd wrote:Can I ask Echo how the stock market is doing?

Sure, of course you can. Unfortunately it can only tell you real time prices, not those in the future. :wink:

WolfgangPauli

Post by WolfgangPauli » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:16 pm

UPDATE: I have now added the capability to turn on and off lights with voice commands - both individual lights or in groups (set up light groups). Clearly, the idea of a "switch" will be an anachronism at some point. If I made light switches, I would start thinking about what is next.
Twitter: @JAXbogleheads | EM: JAXbogleheads@gmail.com

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:41 pm

I received an Echo Dot for Christmas this year. I asked for one so I was happy. My old roommate had the full Echo when he lived with me and I really liked it.

The reason I only wanted the Dot was bc I have a Bose speaker that sounds better than the speaker in the full sized Echo. I planned to hook the Dot up to that and be happy.

I got home from the airport last night and hooked the Dot up to the speaker with and auxiliary cord and then set it up to wifi and bluetooth (the setup went really easily for me - FYI). It worked exactly the way I wanted it to. I played music, asked questions, had it tell me jokes, all the dumb sh!t you do with an Echo.

I watched some TV for a while and then said "Alexa, when was Jenna Haze born?" I saw the lights move the way they do when she talks but no sound happened.

The problem is that when the speaker isn't in use for a while it turns off. This is going to be a problem.
Can anyone think of a solution to this? I really want this setup to work, I don't want to spend the extra money on the tower.

Thanks in advance.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:27 pm

Your Bose speaker turns off? So the Dot works and tries to answer through the speaker, but the speaker is off? Is that right?

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Incendiary wrote:Your Bose speaker turns off? So the Dot works and tries to answer through the speaker, but the speaker is off? Is that right?

Yes, that's exactly right.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:38 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:I received an Echo Dot for Christmas this year. I asked for one so I was happy. My old roommate had the full Echo when he lived with me and I really liked it.

The reason I only wanted the Dot was bc I have a Bose speaker that sounds better than the speaker in the full sized Echo. I planned to hook the Dot up to that and be happy.

If you don't hook up an external speaker, does the Dot have a small speaker to answer Alexa questions? I'm thinking of doing the Dot and using my existing JBL speaker/charging dock that I have in the kitchen. I wouldn't mind having to connect it if I want better sound or listen to music as long as the Dot will still speak out query responses.

lawrun21

Post by lawrun21 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:I received an Echo Dot for Christmas this year. I asked for one so I was happy. My old roommate had the full Echo when he lived with me and I really liked it.

If you don't hook up an external speaker, does the Dot have a small speaker to answer Alexa questions? I'm thinking of doing the Dot and using my existing JBL speaker/charging dock that I have in the kitchen. I wouldn't mind having to connect it if I want better sound or listen to music as long as the Dot will still speak out query responses.

Yes it does.

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:39 pm

Is there a way to prevent the Bose speaker from turning off? How does it ever know to turn on?

Sage16

Post by Sage16 » Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:50 pm

we bought an Echo when they first came out for $99. We use it all the time so we just added a $39 Dot along with an Amazon basics $20 bluetooth speaker in the bedroom upstairs. Go with the Dot and add a speaker for less total than an Echo. You will continue to find new uses for it.

BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:03 pm

Sage16 wrote:we just added a $39 Dot

Where can one find a Dot for $39? I was just about to hit buy at $49.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:08 pm

Incendiary wrote:Is there a way to prevent the Bose speaker from turning off? How does it ever know to turn on?

You hit a button and it turns on. As long as it's getting a signal it won't turn off, but if it goes about 10 minutes with no signal it just shuts off.

catdude

Post by catdude » Fri Dec 30, 2016 2:13 pm

BrandonBogle wrote:
Sage16 wrote:we just added a $39 Dot

Where can one find a Dot for $39? I was just about to hit buy at $49.

Amazon seems to periodically put these toys (Echo, Echo Dot, and Tap) on sale. You might want to wait a few weeks and see if they do so again.
catdude | | “The holy passion of Friendship is of so sweet and steady and loyal and enduring a nature that it will last through a whole lifetime, if not asked to lend money.” (Mark Twain)

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Fri Dec 30, 2016 5:04 pm

MrNewEngland wrote:
Incendiary wrote:Is there a way to prevent the Bose speaker from turning off? How does it ever know to turn on?

You hit a button and it turns on. As long as it's getting a signal it won't turn off, but if it goes about 10 minutes with no signal it just shuts off.

It sounds like you don't want to have to hit the button in order to use the Dot? Why not just hook it up to the speaker when you want to listen to music, then?

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:56 pm

Incendiary wrote:
MrNewEngland wrote:

It sounds like you don't want to have to hit the button in order to use the Dot? Why not just hook it up to the speaker when you want to listen to music, then?

Having to hit the button every time kinda defeats the purpose of having an Echo, imo.

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Sat Dec 31, 2016 10:45 am

I got home from the airport last night and hooked the Dot up to the speaker with and auxiliary cord and then set it up to wifi and bluetooth (the setup went really easily for me - FYI). It worked exactly the way I wanted it to. I played music, asked questions, had it tell me jokes, all the dumb sh!t you do with an Echo.

I watched some TV for a while and then said "Alexa, when was Jenna Haze born?" I saw the lights move the way they do when she talks but no sound happened.

The problem is that when the speaker isn't in use for a while it turns off. This is going to be a problem.
Can anyone think of a solution to this? I really want this setup to work, I don't want to spend the extra money on the tower.

Thanks in advance.

Update: the speaker has a loading dock for a phone so I got a Bluetooth connection for it and hooked the Echo up to the speaker via Bluetooth. As long as the Bluetooth is connected the speaker stays on.

I'm happy.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:09 pm

I just bought 6 Echo Dots- 2 for myself....I found them so much fun that I bought 4 more for holiday presents. I made 4 people very happy.

I see no point in getting the more expensive models with built-in speaker.....the little dot offers far more flexibility. I have one playing through a good stereo system downstairs and another playing through a $25 Bluetooth speaker by my bedside.

I got them for $39 each (Amazon sale)....I imagine this price will come back again. But then again, for $10 more you can have one right away if it is not on sale.

I hate advertising for Amazon. But the Dot, for $50 or less, is a real winner.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:13 pm

I just bought 6 Echo Dots- 2 for myself....I found them so much fun that I bought 4 more for holiday presents.

I see no point in getting the more expensive models with built-in speaker.....the little dot offers far more flexibility. I have one playing through a good stereo system downstairs and another playing through a $30 Bluetooth speaker by my bedside. Even playing alone without an external speaker the sound is acceptable.

I got them for $39 each (Amazon sale)....I imagine this price will come back again. But then again, for $10 more you can have one right away if it is not on sale.

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sat Dec 31, 2016 12:40 pm

I bought a Dot when it was $39 and have really enjoyed it so far. I use it to check traffic, weather, set an alarm when I take a power nap and have started listening to more streaming music since I bought it. On a less serious note, I also ask Alexa to tell me random facts and jokes (ex. have you ever heard of the band called 999 megs? Probably not since they never made it to a gig). I also plan on buying a couple smart LED bulbs to have Alexa turn on my hall light when I come home at night.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:01 pm

I've read the thread here and also looked on Amazon. i'm unclear on whether the Dot has it's own speaker to play music or do you need to plug/bluetooth into speakers?

If it has a speaker, is it OK for a smaller room?

Incendiary

Post by Incendiary » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:50 am

It has its own speaker. It's sufficient if you aren't an audiophile or even a semi-, kinda wanna sorta audiophile.

Horsefly

Post by Horsefly » Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:07 am

heartwood wrote:I've read the thread here and also looked on Amazon. i'm unclear on whether the Dot has it's own speaker to play music or do you need to plug/bluetooth into speakers?

If it has a speaker, is it OK for a smaller room?

I'm certainly no audiophile, but I would never listen to music on the built-in speaker of the Dot. The speaker it has is meant to support just using the Echo to answer questions, play games, run timers and alarms, etc. Any of a number of bluetooth devices can be paired with the Dot and then music would sound great (as good as the bluetooth device supports).

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:28 pm

protagonist wrote:I just bought 6 Echo Dots- 2 for myself....I found them so much fun that I bought 4 more for holiday presents.

I see no point in getting the more expensive models with built-in speaker.....the little dot offers far more flexibility. I have one playing through a good stereo system downstairs and another playing through a $30 Bluetooth speaker by my bedside. Even playing alone without an external speaker the sound is acceptable.

So you keep a stereo system on and tuned to the Dot's input 24/7?

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Sun Jan 01, 2017 7:15 pm

nordsteve wrote:
Nicolas wrote:
That's what they say, yes. How do you know it's true?

And if you verify it now, how would you know if it changes in the future?

You'd have to monitor the local storage of the Alexa devices and see what it stores. Also, you'd have to track network traffic to see if it was sending off data to a server. Both of these occur when you ask it a question as intended, but there are fragments and other data that may be kept that's not all that clear. Fortunately, because the limitation of the storage and the network (as well as server), it's not likely that a bunch of information is being recorded 24/7 for prosperity.

Cases like this murder investigation might cast some light as to how much information Alexa is storing (locally or on the server), either purposely or accidentally.

http://www.geekwire.com/2016/amazon-ale ... mart-laws/

If you use the device, don't be surprised by some additional information that might be found. Or mistakes it might make.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r5p0gqCIEa8

Nicolas

Post by Nicolas » Mon Jan 02, 2017 6:21 pm

inbox788 wrote:
nordsteve wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

You'd have to monitor the local storage of the Alexa devices and see what it stores. Also, you'd have to track network traffic to see if it was sending off data to a server. Both of these occur when you ask it a question as intended, but there are fragments and other data that may be kept that's not all that clear. Fortunately, because the limitation of the storage and the network (as well as server), it's not likely that a bunch of information is being recorded 24/7 for prosperity.

Cases like this murder investigation might cast some light as to how much information Alexa is storing (locally or on the server), either purposely or accidentally.

If you use the device, don't be surprised by some additional information that might be found. Or mistakes it might make.

Thanks. After considering all these points I've come to a very easy and workable solution: Stay far away from Amazon Echo. Don't buy it, or use it, ever.

jjface

Post by jjface » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:18 am

[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]
Not for me. Useless tech junk that will be in the trash pile in a few years along with the rest.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Jan 03, 2017 8:22 am

jjface wrote:[OT comment removed by moderator prudent]

Not for me. Useless tech junk that will be in the trash pile in a few years along with the rest.

Don't rush to judgement too quickly :mrgreen:

"Advanced voice technology will soon be ubiquitous, as natural and intelligent user interface technology integrates seamlessly into daily life."

http://www.recode.net/2015/10/27/116200 ... -ok-google
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

MrNewEngland

Post by MrNewEngland » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:30 am

People always fight change. Lots of people thought smart phones were dumb and wouldn't catch on, but they changed the world.

Doom&Gloom

Post by Doom&Gloom » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:33 am

Nicolas wrote:
inbox788 wrote:
nordsteve wrote:
Nicolas wrote:

Thanks. After considering all these points I've come to a very easy and workable solution: Stay far away from Amazon Echo. Don't buy it, or use it, ever.

It's ok. We wear our tinfoil hats when we are in the same room with the Echo.

Bingo! But not too lazy to make our own tinfoil hats.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:59 pm

Toons wrote:

Don't rush to judgement too quickly :mrgreen:

"Advanced voice technology will soon be ubiquitous, as natural and intelligent user interface technology integrates seamlessly into daily life."

http://www.recode.net/2015/10/27/116200 ... -ok-google

Don't rush into it. While the gradual evolution of natural language interfaces continues to make inroads into our lives, and we might be crossing a milestone, it's still very early in the whole process, and I don't know if we've crossed the Wright Brothers moment. If you find Alexa useful, use it. I've tried Cortana, Alexa, Siri, Google Now, and for the kinds of things I expect them to do, they're batting less than .200. I'll use them if that's the only interface, but if I have access a Google Search browser, that's still my first goto. Eventually, they'll be one and the same and interactive.

http://www.flyingmag.com/pilots-places/ ... -first-fly
http://www.businessinsider.com/10-items ... 011-8?op=1

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am

TOJ wrote:
So you keep a stereo system on and tuned to the Dot's input 24/7?

Sorry it took so long to answer this...I've been away.

No, I have the Dot connected to a bluetooth speaker (by bluetooth).

It can play and stand on its own....not bad that way....but better fidelity through the speaker.

Broken Man 1999

Post by Broken Man 1999 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:49 am

My Dot is connected to an old, but still very functional audio system I have in my garage.

The first thing I do when I enter the garage is turn the audio system on and tell my Dot to play whatever music I want to listen to at the moment.

I have a TV in the garage, and on nice days a few of my neighbors join me in a cold brew. Lots of retirees in my 'hood.

When I go inside I turn of the audio system and TV.

Best $40 I have spent in a long time.

I'm holding off on the lighting controls for now, as all my lights in my bedroom are already on remote control, just not voice control. And, frankly, the prices of the lighting products, while dropping, are still too high for me to justify the expense.

We are doing a kitchen remodel sometime this year, and we will incorporate what is available for voice control, and what makes sense, at that time.

Broken Man 1999
“If I cannot drink Bourbon and smoke cigars in Heaven than I shall not go. " -Mark Twain

rene

Post by rene » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Absolutely AWESOME gadget... it has changed the way I listen to music. An echo combined with Amazon Music Unlimited is just perfect. IT is hard to describe how much of an improvement 'always-on' Echo is compared having to go to your phone or operate whatever audio device you have. Dont listen to the people that have never used it... the same folks that predicted that nobody would be interested in a weather app on a phone (why need a phone for the weather if you can read it every morning in the newspaper).

Cant wait to install Nest thermostats and wished my Arlo security cams were easier to integrate without having to use IFTTT

Totally enjoy this gadget and have no regrets on shelling out the money for this.

For those going with an Echo Dot make sure your bluetooth speaker doesn't turn off automatically.

All f these are great and together kick ass :
Amazon Prime
Amazon Fire Stick (with Kodi sideloaded)
Amazon Echo
Amazon Music Unlimited

runner3081

Post by runner3081 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:12 pm

I was a nay-sayer on the Amazon products like Echo/Dot/Tap for a long time.

However, my dad bought a Dot for my birthday and our family uses it all of the time. I will admit that it is mostly for music, but it is a great complement to the living room.

We are going to get another one for the home office.