google phone project fi

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
looking

google phone project fi

Post by looking » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 am

Google Phone luxus 5x

Anyone use google project fi luxus 5x phone or some experience
I'm using the google carrier project fi with luxus 5x phone
But the the signal is very bad,and phone cuts off middle of talking,and sender can not hear from me .im very disappointing,
I'm thinking to switch to another carrier Are there any other good carrier up there so i can check to switch to them i'm paying $30 month with 1 gb

Best wishes
looking

rob

Re: google phone project fi

Post by rob » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:25 am

I have been on Fi for a few months and had little issues.... granted I usually have a strong wifi signal at home and office, so dropouts are limited since it switches to wifi automatically - I actually use little data unless traveling. I have had a few annoying things like not recognizing a location for the safe zones on auto open but minor.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:00 am

Nexus

A nexus 5x can work on any network so you can move anywhere.

Probably want to try a verizon or att mvno. How about cricket (att) or total wireless / boom mobile (verizon).

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:15 am

I just purchased a 5x from fi and will activate it later this month. A good friend was here with this 5x on fi and the reception was fine. Of course since it defaults to wi-fi anywhere that is available our home receptions was excellent. He bought his phone primarily for international travel and switches the sim card out for his family AT&T plan in the U.S. We will use it on fi service to replace my wife's old Apple 4s which is currently on Page Plus. I liked the idea of moving to a Google/Android platform especially since we're already using Chromebooks, Google mail and calendar, etc. I also am attracted to the fact that for data we are only billed for the amount used at a price of $10/Gb. Hopefully the 5x will turn out to be reliable long-term.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

mongstradamus

Post by mongstradamus » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:51 am

I use project fi with my 6p. As far as how Fi goes , it depends on how sprint and Tmobile are in your area. I also am on wifi for most of the day so its actually pretty good for me.

My normal monthly bill is around 30-40 bucks a month not too bad.

As far as using it internationally i haven't tried that yet.

bberris

Post by bberris » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

looking wrote:Google Phone luxus 5x

But the the signal is very bad,and phone cuts off middle of talking,and sender can not hear from me .im very disappointing,
I'm thinking to switch to another carrier Are there any other good carrier up there so i can check to switch to them i'm paying $30 month with 1 gb

Best wishes
looking

It works well for me in Minneapolis, Venice, Dubrovnik, Athens, Montenegro .... Have you tried calling their support?

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

Best wishes
looking

As with any carrier, you need to make sure there are towers in the areas where you want to use the phone. Project Fi uses towers from Sprint, T-Mobil and US Cellular, so you have a lot of options. The one thing that Project Fi can do that MOST other carriers cannot is make regular cell phone calls over WiFi. Most of my use is at home and at work, and using the WiFi really cuts down on my minutes. The other nice thing is Project Fi fully refunds any unused data. Of course, none of these great features help if you do not have access where you need it.

Smokey21

Post by Smokey21 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 9:14 am

5x user here. Very pleased with the service here and abroad.

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:03 am

I've had FI for over a year and my wife has had it almost a year, we've been pleased with service so far. I have had a few times when it seems to not transfer calls from networks smooth but its been rare. Otherwise it seems to be about the same as any other carrier in terms of coverage and dropped calls which is very few.
"Gonna Make It"

danaht

Post by danaht » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 pm

Project Fi is good - but make sure you have a good internet connection and wifi router. Project Fi tends to make a lot of the calls with VOIP over wifi. Make sure you have a good internet provider in your home - and have a good wifi router. If the wifi reception (or internet connection) at home is bad - that could effect your Project Fi call quality. Same thing applies to work - if you connect to your work's wifi system. If you don't like using wifi for calls - you can go with TMobile/Sprint/Verizon/ATT directly. You can also choose a low cost/free provider (like Ringplus). I am so far happy with my reception with Ringplus with a Nexus 6p - I am currently on a "free" plan paying $0/month. note: I was also on Project Fi briefly before converting to RingPlus. Free RingPlus plans are not for everyone - because you do have to watch your usage and any billing issues for overage. But they also have paid unlimited paid plans that are very cheap as well. Ringplus currently uses the Sprint network. - I would also avoid the old RingPlus plans that do not route directly to the Sprint network - since those may have more latency and reduced call quality. Most of the newer plans route directly to Sprint. Also most of their free plans require the use of a special dialer where they play brief advertisements during outbound calls only. If you do decide to go with Sprint or Ringplus - you will need a new sim card for your phone. You can sometimes get this sim card free of charge - just by visiting a local Sprint store (and take your phone). I also had to remove my Project Fi settings by doing a complete factory reset of the phone - once the Sprint sim card was inserted.
Last edited by danaht on Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:27 pm, edited 8 times in total.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:10 pm

This thread is now in the Personal Consumer Issues forum (phone).
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:39 pm

first i'll say that project fi w/nexxus 5x works great for me. bill is normally $25-26 unless i'm visting parents who don't have wifi. close to $50 then.

since project fi uses the best of t-mobile, us cellular, or sprint - and you are not happy with the service - then i would suggest giving cricket (att) a try.

jjface

Post by jjface » Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:55 pm

Also try an app like signalspy or fiswitch to force googlefi to use one particular network that is more stable (since it switches between three and wifi). Make sure you have wifi on when at home etc.

You really shouldn't have issues and may need to contact support if none of those work. Fi uses three networks plus wifi so you should have good coverage.

wander

Post by wander » Sun Nov 06, 2016 1:12 pm

Do they really have luxux 5x?

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 2:18 pm

wander wrote:

Do they really have luxux 5x?

It's a Nexus 5x. I believe that Project fi is closing them out. They're $150 off but only the 32gb remained for $249 (16gb at $199 were sold out) when I purchased one for my wife very recently.
Last edited by FrugalInvestor on Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:30 pm

bberris wrote: Have you tried calling their support?

+1

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 4:51 pm

They have excellent chat support.
IT-DevOps System Administrator

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:07 pm

In my area, Sprint and T-Mobile are inadequate for people who need good coverage. My personal experience with Sprint was that I would go "unreachable" at home and when I'd get on the freeway to go to work all of my notifications would arrive at once. They offered no explanation or apology. I don't know that combining two poor services would create decent coverage?

If they make the Pixel available, I'll be considering it.

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:20 pm

kjvmartin wrote:In my area, Sprint and T-Mobile are inadequate for people who need good coverage. My personal experience with Sprint was that I would go "unreachable" at home and when I'd get on the freeway to go to work all of my notifications would arrive at once. They offered no explanation or apology. I don't know that combining two poor services would create decent coverage?

You would not be unreachable at home with Fi because it will always default to wifi when it's available. Between home and the freeway you would likely be unreachable though. This assumes you have wifi at home.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:25 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:
kjvmartin wrote:In my area, Sprint and T-Mobile are inadequate for people who need good coverage. My personal experience with Sprint was that I would go "unreachable" at home and when I'd get on the freeway to go to work all of my notifications would arrive at once. They offered no explanation or apology. I don't know that combining two poor services would create decent coverage?

You would not be unreachable at home with Fi because it will always default to wifi when it's available. Between home and the freeway you would likely be unreachable though. This assumes you have wifi at home.

That's interesting. I only live about 5 minutes from the freeway, and I do have good wifi at home. I'm going to have to get some firsthand info from people in my area.

kjvm

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sun Nov 06, 2016 5:39 pm

kjvmartin wrote:
FrugalInvestor wrote:

That's interesting. I only live about 5 minutes from the freeway, and I do have good wifi at home. I'm going to have to get some firsthand info from people in my area.

kjvm

Anywhere you are that good quality public wifi is available or that you log into a good wifi network the fi phone will default to the wifi. Otherwise it will pick the best connection of the three available carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile or U.S. Cellular). You can find coverage maps on the Project Fi website here..... https://fi.google.com/about/coverage/

Nitsuj

Post by Nitsuj » Sun Nov 06, 2016 6:29 pm

Been using Project Fi for just over a year on a Nexus 6. Find it great. Now that US Cellular is on board it's even better.

gd

Post by gd » Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:40 am

I use Republic Wireless, which uses Sprint and has onerous data roaming policies if available at all. On a trip to rural PA, had essentially no internet access. Turns out Sprint is known for underdeveloped rural coverage, relying on roaming off others. T-Mobile is worse than Sprint for me, I can't even get in my home. No clue about US Cellular. I'd carefully check roaming policies on Fi if you go into the boonies much. BTW, happy with RW otherwise (my plan requires special phone), they were the first transparent WiFi/cell provider.

Da5id

Post by Da5id » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:20 am

Some love Fi, some have more troubles.

I use my Nexus 5x with Cricket. It is on the AT&T wireless network. If you are solo, it is $35 for 2.5 GB 4G data which is capped at 8 MBPS , and unlimited really slow 2G data. We get family play discounts so have 5 lines like that for $100 all inclusive.

I really like Cricket, but you get some goodies with Fi that don't apply to Cricket. Fi is faster 4G (doesn't matter to me, matters more to others). Fi lets you use phone as a hotspot, that is extra cost for Cricket. Fi works internationally well, Cricket basically not at all. Probably other differences too.

But basically if Fi isn't working for phone calls, time to switch...

knpstr

Post by knpstr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:45 am

Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Have been on Project Fi with the Nexus 5x for 11 months with no problems at all!
Very little is needed to make a happy life; it is all within yourself, in your way of thinking. -Marcus Aurelius

dcb

Post by dcb » Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:13 am

Tried Google Fi for a few months and had good results international but spotty coverage in my area. Never did run across a free, with no sign-in, WiFi location. Is there a nationwide list of these type of WiFi sites?
dcb

mikestorm

Post by mikestorm » Mon Nov 07, 2016 2:42 pm

I have a 6P and Fi.

For the money it's fantastic. Compared to Verizon it's not as good, but definitely good enough. If Verizon's coverage is a 10 in my area, then Fi is an 8-8.5. Granted, you tend to dwell on the times it doesn't work vs. the times it does, but the price cannot be beat.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Mon Nov 07, 2016 3:01 pm

Mine Nexus 5 is great.

I'd check if the problem is with wifi. try it where it cannot connect to wifi.

Did you somehow turn off your cell connection?

Do any other cellphones work where you are?

If the problem is not one of the above, likely you have a bad phone.
I'd call customer support then.

rob

Post by rob » Tue Nov 08, 2016 1:48 pm

FrugalInvestor wrote:Anywhere you are that good quality public wifi is available or that you log into a good wifi network the fi phone will default to the wifi. Otherwise it will pick the best connection of the three available carriers (Sprint, T-Mobile or U.S. Cellular). You can find coverage maps on the Project Fi website here..... https://fi.google.com/about/coverage/

Keep in mind that Fi can switch between several cell & wifi networks during a call..... In THEORY it's the "best of" across multiple networks so should be better than any specific network.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

ThankYouJack

Post by ThankYouJack » Tue Nov 08, 2016 2:21 pm

looking wrote:I'm thinking to switch to another carrier Are there any other good carrier up there so i can check to switch to them i'm paying $30 month with 1 gb

Best wishes
looking

You could try Cricket Wireless

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 4:33 pm

I just switched to Google Fi from Tmobile and find it just the same (no shocker since I'm still on Tmobile via Fi most of the time). I am using their new Pixel phone.

Download an app called SignalSpy and you can force your phone to switch from Tmobile to Sprint or US Cellular. The issues I see sometimes is that the phone doesn't want to switch to an alternate provider as long as it has a bar. But the other may have more bars.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

AcesUp

Post by AcesUp » Wed Nov 09, 2016 6:05 pm

sperry8 wrote:I just switched to Google Fi from Tmobile and find it just the same (no shocker since I'm still on Tmobile via Fi most of the time). I am using their new Pixel phone.

I'm currently on T-mobile with an iPhone 5s and am considering making a switch to Google Fi. But I've been debating about whether to make the switch over to Android and spend the $$$ to upgrade to the new Pixel.

I'm curious to hear your opinion/experience with the phone (and plan) so far, thanks!

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:02 pm

Work provides me an iPhone 5. Since I'm retiring 12/30/16, I have lived with the reduced battery capacity and slightly swollen case (battery expansion). No changes this late in the game! But pending retirement means I needed to buy a personal phone. A few friends were on Project Fi and loved it. I read lots of good things about the new Pixel phones, so I signed up for a Pixel XL. It's a very nice phone, and making the switch from an iPhone was pretty painless. I've slowly been downloading the apps I need. Since I was pretty deep into Google services already (drive, maps, sheets, photos, etc) it's been very simple to switch. I had Google voice and was able to transfer that number to the new phone within a few minutes of receiving the new phone. Easy! The XL is blazing fast, has a beautiful screen, very capable camera, and so far connections (voice/data quality) has been great. It's bigger than an iPhone 5, but not crazy too big. I love being able to read the screen sans glasses. Of course I am in coastal california which has good coverage. If I was in the Eastern Sierras, it would be more thready.

Perhaps you can get to a Verizon store and check one out, then place an order with Project Fi. The phone is unlocked, so you can cancel the service after a month and switch to another carrier if it doesn't work out for you...provided you've paid for the phone up front. I chose to do that, and bought it directly from Google. Good luck.
One cannot enlighten the unconscious. | Endurance athletes are the Bogleheads of sports. | "I like people - I just don't want to be around 'em." - Russell Gordy

AcesUp

Post by AcesUp » Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:24 pm

TimeRunner wrote:Work provides me an iPhone 5. Since I'm retiring 12/30/16, I have lived with the reduced battery capacity and slightly swollen case (battery expansion). No changes this late in the game! But pending retirement means I needed to buy a personal phone. A few friends were on Project Fi and loved it. I read lots of good things about the new Pixel phones, so I signed up for a Pixel XL. It's a very nice phone, and making the switch from an iPhone was pretty painless. I've slowly been downloading the apps I need. Since I was pretty deep into Google services already (drive, maps, sheets, photos, etc) it's been very simple to switch. I had Google voice and was able to transfer that number to the new phone within a few minutes of receiving the new phone. Easy! The XL is blazing fast, has a beautiful screen, very capable camera, and so far connections (voice/data quality) has been great. It's bigger than an iPhone 5, but not crazy too big. I love being able to read the screen sans glasses. Of course I am in coastal california which has good coverage. If I was in the Eastern Sierras, it would be more thready.

Perhaps you can get to a Verizon store and check one out, then place an order with Project Fi. The phone is unlocked, so you can cancel the service after a month and switch to another carrier if it doesn't work out for you...provided you've paid for the phone up front. I chose to do that, and bought it directly from Google. Good luck.

Good info, thanks TimeRunner.

sperry8

Post by sperry8 » Fri Nov 11, 2016 6:50 pm

AcesUp wrote:
sperry8 wrote:I just switched to Google Fi from Tmobile and find it just the same (no shocker since I'm still on Tmobile via Fi most of the time). I am using their new Pixel phone.

I'm currently on T-mobile with an iPhone 5s and am considering making a switch to Google Fi. But I've been debating about whether to make the switch over to Android and spend the $$$ to upgrade to the new Pixel.

I'm curious to hear your opinion/experience with the phone (and plan) so far, thanks!

It's expensive. I wouldn't have switched except for the fact that they allow you uncapped data when traveling abroad. If I were solely using it the US, I would've stayed with my older but quite useful Nexus 5.

Battery life is not great but the camera is much better. Much. Fingerprint logon is excellent and saves so much time. I can even use it for some apps. Everything else is similar to the Nexus 5. I do find the swiping technology a little finicky (it thinks I push things when I don't). If that continues it will bother me to no end.
Certainty is a requirement of ignorance. | Humbling Contest results: | 2016: #121 of 610 | 2015: #18 of 552 | 2014: #225 of 503 | 2013: #383 of 433 | 2012: #366 of 410 | 2011: #113 of 369 | 2010: #53 of 282

jjface

Post by jjface » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:23 am

AcesUp wrote:

Personally I wouldn't spend $650+ on a pixel when I was a newbie to android. The nexus 5X is a great phone and costs only $200-250 on projectFI. The camera is good with the same sensor as the pixel (the pixel has tweaked software to improve it plus a better processor but there isn't a huge jump in quality. You will see an improvement in photos/videos over an iphone 5S with the nexus 5X). It also has very good specs for a $200 phone.

You can always upgrade later to a pixel if you really like android. It is a big leap from ios to android. Still everyone likes a shiny new top of the range phone - I am tempted by the pixel myself but am resisting!

Quark

Post by Quark » Sat Nov 12, 2016 11:41 am

jjface wrote:...Personally I wouldn't spend $650+ on a pixel when I was a newbie to android. The nexus 5X is a great phone and costs only $200-250 on projectFI. The camera is good with the same sensor as the pixel (the pixel has tweaked software to improve it plus a better processor but there isn't a huge jump in quality. You will see an improvement in photos/videos over an iphone 5S with the nexus 5X). It also has very good specs for a $200 phone.

You can always upgrade later to a pixel if you really like android. It is a big leap from ios to android. Still everyone likes a shiny new top of the range phone - I am tempted by the pixel myself but am resisting!

The 6P is a nice compromise between the Pixels and the 5X. It's very close to the Pixels in performance and closer to the 5X in price. If the 6P is too large, then the 5X would be the way to go. I don't believe the Pixel represents good value compared to the 6P or 5X.

youdiditr2

Post by youdiditr2 » Sat Nov 12, 2016 1:52 pm

I used it for 3 months and was happy with it, but it was costing me $90 a month since I use a lot of data. Went back to $30 t mobile pre-paid unlimited.

I did sign up for it Project fi for 2 weeks last month while in Shanghai and connection was great. Was able to use internet without any problem in China. Cost only $23 for 2 weeks.