Which state to move for milder weather

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
matonplayer

Re: Which state to move for milder weather

Post by matonplayer »

We did research on weather in the US before retiring from the DC area two years ago. One meteorologist said that if you eliminate CA from the equation (which clearly has the best weather in the US) then the Asheville NC area has the most temperate weather in the country. We live about thirty minutes South of Asheville and I can say the weather here is outstanding. Long spring and fall, mild summer and winter. Not sure about high-tech jobs though.
mouses

Post by mouses »

If I were going to move, I'd pay attention to nature hazards - increased rate of hurricanes, drought, forest fires, mudslides, earthquakes, tornadoes, rising sea levels.

Someone above mentioned Hawaii. I thought in some previous thread someone said a lot of stuff had to be imported and that made it expensive.
Watty

Post by Watty »

LiveSimple wrote:3. Next preference is Atlanta, Florida
I am in Atlanta now. A couple of random things.

1) The traffic is really bad and getting worse every year. Don't underestimate this as a factor. The commute is an obvious problem but even trying to plan to go somewhere like a sports event, concert, shopping, etc on a week day evening since you could hit a bad day and a 20 minute drive could be well over an hour. There is lots of suburban sprawl.

2) This has been an unusually bad summer where it was very hot through the end of October. Usually it is pretty hot from mid June through the beginning of September but for a southern city it is not all that bad because the city is unusually high at about 1,000 feet. Someone where I saw the comment that Atlanta is actually the second highest major US city after Denver which surprised me. Many years it does not get 100 degrees here. It is still hot and sticky in the summer with the humidity but the climate the rest of the year is pretty good. When is snows the snow rarely lasts more than a day or two. The city pretty much shuts down if there are a couple of inches of snow.

3) The housing prices are generally good but they vary a lot more by area than other cities I have seen. The big reason for this is the commute. In most of the suburbs you can get a pretty decent 2,000 square foot house on a large lot in a decent area for around $250K. They like houses and lots big here in any price range. $500K will get you a huge McMansion in all but the most prime areas. A million will get you a real mansion in most areas.

4) Many of the high tech jobs are located in the northern suburbs.

5) There are some lakes around but to get to things like the beach or mountains is almost always more than a day trip.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Tn.
4 Seasons.Moderate Weather.
Retired from Western NY here.
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
KyleAAA

Post by KyleAAA »

My top list for mild-weather tech hubs would be Austin, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham. You might also consider Seattle, which doesn't get nearly as cold as you're used to in Michigan.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

I've lived in Central Texas. The summers are hot and the winters will have icy roads. A little windy and chances of tornadoes. Never experienced Houston, but my experience should be similar to what Dallas has.

Visited San Antonio a few times, VERY hot and humid.

I've lived in the Seattle area. Traffic is just as bad as DC and LA. If you can handle grey skies they have the most fantastic summers (maybe 45 of the 60 sunny days per year are in the summer) where 1 year out of the 12 I lived there it hit 100 degrees but otherwise will barely touch the low 90s for a couple weeks per year. Winters have a bad snow every other year and mostly just rain during the winters with daytime temps frequently around 40 or warmer. High cost of living, but still lower than San Francisco and Los Angeles. If you can find work in Pierce county, the cost of living isn't bad at all.

I've lived in DC, I wouldn't say that area meets the requirements of mild weather. Winter is definitely in the single digits quite often, not much snow though except for outside of the beltway. High cost of living, a little higher than Seattle I believe. The mass transit is FAR superior to Seattle, Texas metros, LA, San Diego, San Francisco. You can sometimes have the day's high at 9AM and other times at 9PM. Fantastic bike trails around the area on the NOVA side and DC, didn't really go to the Maryland side much.

I live in the Phoenix area. If you aren't used to heat, do NOT believe the hype about 4 hot months. If you come from any areas with mild summers consider it to be closer to 6-7 months of unbearably hot weather. Still hitting 90+ degrees most every day so far in the past 7 days (Nov 1 through today).

We have a home in the Denver area and lived there for one year. The summers were great, it isn't too hot, but the intense sun due to high altitude can make it feel warmer than it is, find some shade and it cools off quite a bit. The winters involve 7 days of temps in the 0-20 degree range for lows and 20-40 degrees range for the highs followed by about 5 days of 15-35 degree lows with 50-60 degree daytime temps throughout most of winter. It can snow quite a bit, and it usually is gone within one to two days. Traffic wasn't as bad as Seattle, DC or LA.

Traffic:
Seattle, DC and LA all seemed about equal to me for time spent in your car for commuting. DC drivers seem to not understand rules of the roads (more foreigners???) and LA drivers act more like daredevils taking unnecessary risks.
Denver - less traffic than the other three. Most aggressive drivers, they will try to force you off the road and otherwise take purposeful aggressive moves that put lives in danger vs DC drivers who put people in danger from being apparently oblivious.
Phoenix - I don't really consider it to be traffic around here, flows and moves pretty much all the time with periods of more cars, but few slow downs ever. They drive fast, but are about equal to Seattle drivers (no dangerous antics, no over-aggressiveness and no apparent obliviousness). Phoenix metro has the BEST roads I have ever driven on in my life. I've driven in 3 different countries and 40 of the US states without coming across any roads that are as straight, well lit, and with as easy to read road signage as the Phoenix metro.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

hoops777 wrote:Sounds like you need to fly into Southern Calif and go on a road trip.
Will do, that sounds like a plan and a vacation
rbaldini

Post by rbaldini »

Call_Me_Op wrote:Remember that milder weather means nastier bugs for longer time periods. I rather enjoy a bug-free period each year, even though I need to deal with some snow and ice.
Not on the west coast.

As far as "mild" goes, west coast is best coast. CA, OR, WA. They have the thermal inertia of the ocean, without the humidity of the east coast.

I've never been to Michigan, but I imagine *most* places are milder than MI. I'm currently in CO, a transplant from CA. Obviously it's colder here than in CA, but it's still not humid, and the snow melts fast in the winter. I suspect it's more comfortable than MI.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

+1 for NW Phoenix. Anthem or New River.

Attempt to spend some time in a potential area during the "worst" time. We love the Phoenix weather and low humidity. November, ,February, March, fine. Easy.

Two times we went in July on a family vacation. This past summer it was 118 one day with 5% humidity. We spent most of the day by the pool (rented VRBO in Anthem) but did go out and about several times. It was hot certainly, but not 95, humid, sticky, miserable like Florida, Texas, etc. It was actually quite fun to be in a "near record" heat with the low humidity. I'm sure the locals were not as thrilled especially if you have to work outside.

The Orange County area is very nice. It is full of people and quite expensive compared to the Phoenix area or other non-CA areas. Try some areas out on vacation and see what you can tolerate and put up with weather wise, people wise and cost wise. :beer
Last edited by bloom2708 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"We are here to provoke thoughtfulness, not agree with you." Unknown Boglehead
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

Las Vegas its like California with none of the taxes and a great cost of living.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

VegasBH wrote:Las Vegas its like California with none of the taxes and a great cost of living.
Thanks. A friend relocated to Las Vegas, yes should research Las Vegas
quantAndHold

Post by quantAndHold »

VegasBH wrote:Las Vegas its like California with none of the taxes and a great cost of living.
That depends on your definition of "mild." I would never consider summer in Las Vegas to be mild.
Yes, I’m really that pedantic.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

Vegas=Cal without the high taxes (or the ocean, beaches, mountains, green trees, culture, etc.). That's why people now take up legal "residence" in Vegas and "commute" to Cal.
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

I grew up in Phx and there is nothing mild about the weather there; it is scorching hot for 4 months, minimum. Even having lived there for 25 years, I find it unbearable and will never move back. If you want to be outside during summer for long periods of time, you can forget it, it's just too oppressive. Most folks really limit what they do outside during the summer, especially for older folks since it can be simply incapacitating. The constant moving from cold a/c to scorching heat outside back to cold a/c gets many people sick as well.

We are in a similar situation and are looking for a mild climate retirement location. At the moment, San Diego is in the #1 spot; we considered Asheville, NC as well, but it's a little too close to family. We are not excited about Cali home prices, but San Diego is a great fit for us, especially with regards to the weather, and it is cheaper than the bay area.
foreverihope

Post by foreverihope »

Not a person who would live in a place without grass animals,and water(naturally), if your looking San Diego, Point Loma has a great feel that is not as expensive as some places with great niche areas that having roots may work well.
alexost

Post by alexost »

SoCal. Orange County. South Orange County, San Diego County. I'm engineering my move back there ASAP after about two years hating it in WI. I will even take a significant pay cut to go back.

I'm making 85-90K in Wisconsin.. And I'd take starting pay of 52-55K (if necessary) plus benefits, to move back to the Irvine area. But I'd like to work and live within about 15 miles to keep commute time down.
ks289

Post by ks289 »

Excellent suggestions so far.

However, as mouses mentioned, seeking warmer weather carries some uncertainty given the possibility that future climate patterns may not resemble those of the past. Areas you mentioned may be more vulnerable to prolonged drought, summer heat, hurricanes, rising sea levels, etc.

Staying put may be a very reasonable choice.
foreverihope

Post by foreverihope »

ks289 wrote:Excellent suggestions so far.

However, as mouses mentioned, seeking warmer weather carries some uncertainty given the possibility that future climate patterns may not resemble those of the past. Areas you mentioned may be more vulnerable to prolonged drought, summer heat, hurricanes, rising sea levels, etc.

Great post, live in sfl its super low cost but has no jobs , our ocean won''t take the land for 30 years but the idea of sending someone here to make $ is not real.
jpelder

Post by jpelder »

sambb wrote:the humidity in NC (and roaches) is worse than the snow in Michigan to some people, caveat emptor
Overall this is a personal decision, and i would recc renting for a year wherever you go
The roaches here aren't that bad. You only need birdshot to kill them.

Now the ones in Alabama where I grew up take a double-tap with 00 buckshot... :twisted:
jdb

Post by jdb »

Someone has to play the devil's advocate. Every time I see these posts about moving for climate I think the poster is missing something. I was born and raised in Northern Wisconsin, worked in Minneapolis, was thinking of moving to Alaska but met woman from South Florida, a happy wife is happy life so have been in South Florida going on 40 years, where we raised family. And happy. On a list of the most important 50 things for happiness I think climate is number 50. Your job, family, personal relationships etc etc so much more important. Same for city or urban area, I love to visit NYC and Chicago but could be happy in any locale with good job, family and personal relationships. And you can always travel to other locales for vacations. Just my two cents. Good luck.
Elsebet

Post by Elsebet »

Slacker wrote: They drive fast, but are about equal to Seattle drivers (no dangerous antics, no over-aggressiveness and no apparent obliviousness).
How long has it been since you lived in Seattle? My commute is only 15 min each way, but I see multiple instances of dangerous oblivious driving every single day. They also love to drive slow in the left lane here (and refuse to move right) and slow down ridiculously around gentle highway curves. Just the traffic makes me want to leave. :)
"...the man who adapts himself to his slender means and makes himself wealthy on a little sum, is the truly rich man..." ~Seneca
NoGambleNoFuture

Post by NoGambleNoFuture »

LiveSimple wrote:
carolinaman wrote: It might help if you broaden your criteria for a new location and also better define tech. Are you in applications, management, infrastructure, research & development, etc.
I am in applications, technology management ( Not operations)
Lead Web Apps toughest role for us to fill this year -- move to Bay Area and let me know if you're looking for a job :)

Or: Austin, Denver, Seattle, etc.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

LiveSimple wrote:
Thanks. A friend relocated to Las Vegas, yes should research Las Vegas
I've thought about Las Vegas myself.

I'm weighing the entertainment options, income tax savings, and proximity to family versus the intense heat. On average it is about 3-5 degrees cooler than Phoenix which means still hitting 110 much of the summer.

I'm also considering Reno. Much cooler than Vegas, close to Lake Tahoe, but downsides of far away from family and smaller city.
foreverihope wrote:Not a person who would live in a place without grass animals,and water(naturally), if your looking San Diego, Point Loma has a great feel that is not as expensive as some places with great niche areas that having roots may work well.
I will have to check into that and see if I get sticker shock looking at San Diego area real estate again.
Elsebet wrote:How long has it been since you lived in Seattle? My commute is only 15 min each way, but I see multiple instances of dangerous oblivious driving every single day. They also love to drive slow in the left lane here (and refuse to move right) and slow down ridiculously around gentle highway curves. Just the traffic makes me want to leave. :)
Trust me, it can be much worse elsewhere :wink: . (left Seattle 4 years ago and lived on the Eastside with a weekly Friday drive into Seattle).
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

We had considered retiring in the Austin area, and we moved here in July for work (we have decided Austin isn't a fit for us). I have lived in this area before, but I had forgotten about the summer heat and humidity, and this year it was either particularly bad or I'm just getting older. The heat will keep you indoors for much of the summer, but if you want to be in a Tech city and don't want to pay Cali prices, then it can be a good fit and it has a lot to offer.
deanbrew

Post by deanbrew »

matonplayer wrote:We did research on weather in the US before retiring from the DC area two years ago. One meteorologist said that if you eliminate CA from the equation (which clearly has the best weather in the US) then the Asheville NC area has the most temperate weather in the country. We live about thirty minutes South of Asheville and I can say the weather here is outstanding. Long spring and fall, mild summer and winter. Not sure about high-tech jobs though.
My wife and I are starting to consider a move south from PA, and are planning to look in the area from Greenville through Hendersonville to Ashville. Or, we have friends who plan to move to an area near the coast of NC between North Myrtle Beach and Wilmington, so we might want to go to that area.

One hitch is that I hate hot, humid weather, and my wife hates cold weather, even just temps I consider chilly. We are almost to the point of no overlap. I think 80 is too hot, and can't stand humidity when it's over 80. She doesn't like it under 75. I think I would much prefer to be even a bit higher in altitude than Ashville, but that appears to be a no-go to the missus.

Anyway, how much difference is there in summertime heat/humidity and wintertime cold/snow between the Hendersonville/Greenville area and the coast near Wilmington? Anywhere else in that general area to look for a mild climate (not too hot or cold).
"The course of history shows that as the government grows, liberty decreases." Thomas Jefferson
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

NoGambleNoFuture wrote:
LiveSimple wrote:
carolinaman wrote: It might help if you broaden your criteria for a new location and also better define tech. Are you in applications, management, infrastructure, research & development, etc.
I am in applications, technology management ( Not operations)
Lead Web Apps toughest role for us to fill this year -- move to Bay Area and let me know if you're looking for a job :)

Or: Austin, Denver, Seattle, etc.
Yes, have to work for a decade at least. However not as a Lead Web Apps.
Mostly as technical leadership, Director, Application Engineering to VP Application Engineering or something similar or something in between.
22twain

Post by 22twain »

deanbrew wrote:Anyway, how much difference is there in summertime heat/humidity and wintertime cold/snow between the Hendersonville/Greenville area and the coast near Wilmington?
Hendersonville is more like Asheville than Greenville. There's about a 1200' drop in elevation going from H'ville to G'ville. The TV stations serving the area always give two sets of temperatures in their forecasts, one for the "Upstate" (G'ville/Spartanburg) and the other for the "Mountains" (H'ville/A'ville). The latter are generally about 10 degrees cooler. There's also less humidity in the mountains.

Along the coast (Myrtle Beach, Charleston) my impression is that temperatures are about the same or maybe a bit higher than in the upstate, but the humidity is higher also. The hottest part of SC is actually the midlands (e.g. Columbia), which don't have the moderating effect of elevation (upstate) or the ocean (coast). During a July/August heat wave, a typical pattern is temperatures in the 80s in the mountains, 90s in the upstate and along the coast, and 100s in the midlands.
Epitaph: Here lies the noble word "princiPAL", smothered by its like-sounding impostor "princiPLE". May it rest in piece!
killjoy2012

Post by killjoy2012 »

I also work in IT and live in MI. A previous job involved flying quite a bit around the US, so I got to see/visit most major cities at least for a short time. I've had similar thoughts as yours WRT the weather, but TBH, I really don't think there's a magical, perfect place to live in the US, weather-wise. Maybe if your definition of "mild" is simply "no snow", then sure.... but you're likely going to be trading snow for multiple months of blistering heat & humidity, bugs, snakes, etc. e.g. I don't consider the heat & humidity of Atlanta, Austin or anywhere in TX to be "mild".

San Diego (or the West coast, in general) is probably the best year-round weather, but you'd need to factor the HCOL + job prospects + culture impact. I know I wouldn't move there short of doubling my current salary.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

killjoy2012 wrote:I also work in IT and live in MI. A previous job involved flying quite a bit around the US, so I got to see/visit most major cities at least for a short time. I've had similar thoughts as yours WRT the weather, but TBH, I really don't think there's a magical, perfect place to live in the US, weather-wise. Maybe if your definition of "mild" is simply "no snow", then sure.... but you're likely going to be trading snow for multiple months of blistering heat & humidity, bugs, snakes, etc. e.g. I don't consider the heat & humidity of Atlanta, Austin or anywhere in TX to be "mild".

San Diego (or the West coast, in general) is probably the best year-round weather, but you'd need to factor the HCOL + job prospects + culture impact. I know I wouldn't move there short of doubling my current salary.
Agreed.

However, between me and our kids, wet have no issues with MI weather, we are fine. My daughter says, why live somewhere else, other than Michigan.
My spouse wants change, wants something better during Dec - Feb. hence we do need to see what is next.

I have traveled to these milder cities in Summer and I cannot tolerate some cities. My next steps is to take my spouse to these milder cities, during the summer and have the HOT experience.

Hence yes West coast, in general is the potential location, let us see what the change brings us. May be a change is better or at least we tried.

Career prospectus in this equation is important / primary.
vested1

Post by vested1 »

I'll chime in as a lifelong resident of the central coast of California. I live on the outskirts of Monterey, where the weather is mild all year long. It never snows and experiences a morning freeze at barely 32 degrees maybe once or twice every couple years. The highest temperatures have risen, like everywhere else but top out at about 85 degrees, mostly in the spring and fall during short periods of a few days. Rarely we experience a day or two at near 100 degrees. Average temperature is around 65 degrees. Fog is common in the summer and annual rainfall is around 21". The humidity is not an issue and largely unnoticeable.

There is a population of around 100,000 people on the Monterey Peninsula, and the only issue we really have is lack of a reliable water source. The commute to silicon valley is about an hour but if you have sufficient talent you can work much closer to home. The natural beauty can't be overstated.

I would suggest going to the website citydata, http://www.city-data.com/ as a next step. You can look up virtually any city on the site and read forums that contain pictures and comments by residents and those in your same situation. The site also provides demographic, COL index, historical weather, crime statistics, and much more that can help in making your decision.
Sachay

Post by Sachay »

I'm in Seattle. The weather is truly awful.

40 degrees looks mild on paper, but it is extremely wet and humid here. Cold and wet is the worst weather there is. It is bone chilling no matter if you are indoors or in 10 layers. And it's dark and gloomy most of the year. The two "nice" months aren't even that nice, it gets cold enough at night to need a light jacket. I much perfer the weather of my native Chicago.

If you can swing Hawaii, that is the best in the US by far weatherwise. Then California.
FullYellowJacket

Post by FullYellowJacket »

I lived in Atlanta for 26 years. Atlanta summers are anything but mild. Southern California or bust.
G12

Post by G12 »

Watty wrote:I am in Atlanta now. A couple of random things.

1) The traffic is really bad and getting worse every year. Don't underestimate this as a factor. The commute is an obvious problem but even trying to plan to go somewhere like a sports event, concert, shopping, etc on a week day evening since you could hit a bad day and a 20 minute drive could be well over an hour. There is lots of suburban sprawl.

2) This has been an unusually bad summer where it was very hot through the end of October. Usually it is pretty hot from mid June through the beginning of September but for a southern city it is not all that bad because the city is unusually high at about 1,000 feet. Someone where I saw the comment that Atlanta is actually the second highest major US city after Denver which surprised me. Many years it does not get 100 degrees here. It is still hot and sticky in the summer with the humidity but the climate the rest of the year is pretty good. When is snows the snow rarely lasts more than a day or two. The city pretty much shuts down if there are a couple of inches of snow.
I have lived in metro ATL since 1989. For a major city this area has the smallest water table/supply of any in the USA, that may or may not become quite important. ATL has had the driest 2 month period in history and my backyard currently looks like a desert, we also set records for most days over 90 degrees in local history. If you have mild allergies and move here you are almost guaranteed to start experiencing much greater allergy issues. Mine have gone from taking antihistamines roughly 3 months out of the year to 9+ months and that is with ongoing immunotherapy injections, Flonase, Zyrtec, etc over the past five years. Unless you live close to work commutes can be long, plus there is a ton of planned and ongoing road infrastructure improvements the next 3-5 years. We have had the joy of the Braves stadium build out and toll road widening ongoing on 75N/575 NW of 285 for a few years. Due to development and tree canopy loss the radiant heat effect within say 25 - 35 miles of downtown ATL creates scenarios where temps in the summer remain at higher levels than 10 to 15 years ago many hours after sunset. Etc, there are good things about the area, but if I were moving I would go somewhere less congested with milder summers since the summers continue to extend later into the year, and even in a drought year the humidity remains present. Yeah, I have been ready to move for 5 years now. :wink:
Nate79

Post by Nate79 »

We love it here in Portland. Temperatures are very mild, never cold and never hot. Sure, we get a lot of mild rain/drizzle for half of the year but actually during that period it's not that bad. For example this entire week (during the rainy period) it is mid 50s for high and mid 40s for low and mix between sunshine and cloudy. Summer's are wonderful - dry, sunshine, and warm mid-80s.
CajunDan

Post by CajunDan »

LiveSimple wrote:
JamalJones wrote:I would say move to the central coast of California: Somewhere between and including Monterey down to Santa Barbara. And get a place near the coast (obviously). Also, San Diego isn't a bad choice either.

:beer
Please can you help expand more. Your input seems to be more practical or meets our criteria.
Santa Barbara area is incredibly expensive for housing, as is anything close to LA along the coast. You're looking at $1.5 million for a fixer upper. Orange County much less so, it's where we live, and my wife works in high tech (SAS). You can get a nice place here for $800k or so.

Going south from the OC yields lower housing prices, but less tech jobs. San Diego is awesome for weather, housing prices high but not Santa Barbara level, more like $1 million.

One huge saving is utility bills. We live in Irvine and haven't turned on our AC or heat for 3 months now, and probably won't until Jan. This drives electric and natural gas bills down considerably. I have friends in the South who spend hundreds of dollars a month on electricity from May-Sep. We've never went over $100/month yet in our 3000 sq ft house. You probably spend hundreds a month for winter heating, we've never went over $75/month for natural gas.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Appreciate all the input, CajunDan, Nate79, G12, vested1, killjoy2012
Traveler

Post by Traveler »

I grew up in Portland, Oregon - don't believe the hype that the weather is good….it's not. You can go for weeks without seeing the sun and the rainy drizzle gets old really quickly. Not to mention the price of housing vs salaries - I don't know how anyone affords a house out there on the salaries companies are willing to pay.

I've lived in the Atlanta metro area for 15 years and while the summers can be brutally hot (this year was), they aren't always - I remember some where we barely got above 90. Winters are quite mild although usually there is a cold snap or two with temps below freezing. Housing is relatively cheap and salaries are relatively good. As a comparison, for a job like mine (corporate marketing), I would probably have to take a 20% pay cut in Portland vs Atlanta and housing would about double. Traffic in Atlanta can be bad, so you have to live near where you work. I currently live less than two miles from work so my commute is about 6 minutes. That said, some coworkers have a 90 minute one-way commute.
freebeer

Post by freebeer »

KyleAAA wrote:My top list for mild-weather tech hubs would be Austin, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham. You might also consider Seattle, which doesn't get nearly as cold as you're used to in Michigan.
'

Yeah we have had a week of 60+ high temps and expect at least one more day. OK that's a 120-year record but still... mild winters for sure (it dusts snow a couple times most years but no one living near sea level owns snow shovels). OTOH we do have quite short days in the winter starting now when the time changes... Seattle is significant further north than Ottawa and even Quebec City.
Alexa9

Post by Alexa9 »

Austin, but you'll have to take a summer holiday back to Michigan.
Topic Author
LiveSimple

Post by LiveSimple »

Alexa9 wrote:Austin, but you'll have to take a summer holiday back to Michigan.
LOL
VegasBH

Post by VegasBH »

Las vegas
daveatca

Colorado

Post by daveatca »

Greater Broomfield County, Colorado.
Spend a Winter here and you will laugh when people complain about the weather.
Last edited by daveatca on Mon Nov 14, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tinscale

Post by tinscale »

Climate is only one of several things I considered before relocating. Geography, demographics, taxes, political culture and viewpoints, state fiscal condition, state's stance/laws with regard to various issues, etc.
larklea

Post by larklea »

I'd recommend that you browse the FIRE board. LOTS of posts here about relocation. I'd recommend Texas, but we don't want anymore people moving here :happy . You might also want to look at all the information that's available re - great places to retire.

http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

JamalJones wrote:I would say move to the central coast of California: Somewhere between and including Monterey down to Santa Barbara. And get a place near the coast (obviously). Also, San Diego isn't a bad choice either.

Taxes and cost of living very high in California? Or rather, housing is expensive in CA where the jobs are? (Sacramento, say, this is not the case, but I don't imagine there are that many tech jobs there?).

Taxes everyone knows about. Real estate taxes are (?) low (Proposition 13?) but other taxes are high?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

Traveler wrote:I grew up in Portland, Oregon - don't believe the hype that the weather is good….it's not. You can go for weeks without seeing the sun and the rainy drizzle gets old really quickly. Not to mention the price of housing vs salaries - I don't know how anyone affords a house out there on the salaries companies are willing to pay.
Inward migration from even more expensive places, eg Northern California? Only a small percentage of buyers in most markets are making their first housing investment, everyone else has benefited from the rise in prices on their existing home.

Also there are suburban areas in Vancouver, WA which are considerably cheaper?
I've lived in the Atlanta metro area for 15 years and while the summers can be brutally hot (this year was), they aren't always - I remember some where we barely got above 90. Winters are quite mild although usually there is a cold snap or two with temps below freezing. Housing is relatively cheap and salaries are relatively good. As a comparison, for a job like mine (corporate marketing), I would probably have to take a 20% pay cut in Portland vs Atlanta and housing would about double. Traffic in Atlanta can be bad, so you have to live near where you work. I currently live less than two miles from work so my commute is about 6 minutes. That said, some coworkers have a 90 minute one-way commute.
As a friend of mine said "why do you worry about the Texas climate? It's 72 degrees all year round here" ;-). You live indoors in summer, I guess-- house to car to office to mall to house.

Everyone I know who knows Atlanta complains about the traffic-- it sounds sort of LA like?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

CajunDan wrote:
LiveSimple wrote:

Please can you help expand more. Your input seems to be more practical or meets our criteria.
Santa Barbara area is incredibly expensive for housing, as is anything close to LA along the coast. You're looking at $1.5 million for a fixer upper. Orange County much less so, it's where we live, and my wife works in high tech (SAS). You can get a nice place here for $800k or so.
I have heard housing prices are very dependent on school district? The sort of family you find in OC, very aspirational re schools?
Going south from the OC yields lower housing prices, but less tech jobs. San Diego is awesome for weather, housing prices high but not Santa Barbara level, more like $1 million.

One huge saving is utility bills. We live in Irvine and haven't turned on our AC or heat for 3 months now, and probably won't until Jan. This drives electric and natural gas bills down considerably. I have friends in the South who spend hundreds of dollars a month on electricity from May-Sep. We've never went over $100/month yet in our 3000 sq ft house. You probably spend hundreds a month for winter heating, we've never went over $75/month for natural gas.
In Michigan, OP would pay similar price to gas that you do (perhaps even a bit cheaper). Electricity about half what you do (13 cents say vs. 20+?).

In the South they tend to pay 10 cents/ kwhr or even less in some places, I think. Makes an electric heat pump competitive with gas (about 3x as efficient, but electricity is about 3x retail gas price in many locations per kwhr).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

G12 wrote: Etc, there are good things about the area, but if I were moving I would go somewhere less congested with milder summers since the summers continue to extend later into the year, and even in a drought year the humidity remains present. Yeah, I have been ready to move for 5 years now. :wink:
Where would you go?

North Carolina? Charlotte or Asheville? Or RTP? Charlottesville VA is beautiful but I am not sure how much work there is there (other than the university).

Allergies seem to be "a thing" and I am very much with you on this (having lived both sides of the Atlantic, in the northern parts, now live in london which compounds the damage with severe (diesel) air pollution from cars, trucks, buses-- the worst air pollution in Europe).

One thought is we are insufficiently exposed to dirt and germs as children now, and so don't develop the immune responses correctly. Also we have fewer siblings, so same issue (a grade school class is just a giant disease vector, in fact a first year college class is that as well, as our family is just discovering).

But there is something going on (besides the relocation of plants to places that were not in their natural range: see Arizona) because allergies seem much more widespread and prevalent than 30-40 years ago.

It hit me with a member of the next generation: NO foods involving peanuts were allowed in the school for any student-- no peanut butter sandwiches etc. Peanut allergies, which I had never heard of before the 1980s, are so widespread in the next generation (ie the one born post 1990 or post 2000).
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

ks289 wrote:Excellent suggestions so far.

it's a very good point that there are forecasts out there that can be researched.

Regional long term climate forecasting is a black art. We are a long way from being perfect about it, a long way.

However sea level rise forecasts can be checked. There is a group of east coast cities (plus New Orleans) that are already being affected-- I think for various geologic and oceanic reasons the west coast is much less problematic. For example I would avoid the Hurricane Sandy flood surge areas or *at least* want to buy a house with heavy damage reduction measures.

It's also worth knowing Miami is built on water permeable rock (limestone or standstone?). So the challenge from the sea comes much sooner in time-- all of that underground infrastructure, parking garages etc.
reisner

Post by reisner »

No, to San Diego. I may be a contrarian; people love it. Having lived there for 35 years, in downtown La Jolla no less, I couldn't wait to leave. Real estate is crazy. We sold at the peak in 2005; our old house dropped 40% soon after but would now sell for a good 20% more than we got. The traffic is crazy, LA crazy but with less skillful drivers. The main freeway merge, the 5-405, was getting 3.5 million cars a week in 2005. As for the great weather, you have either the overcast of the marine layer or unremitting, cloudless sunshine. There are a fair number of disgruntled, self-centered people running about--disgruntled because the paradise they thought they'd moved to didn't solve all their problems. Despite the congestion and water issues, the population continues to grow. And I felt trapped in a corner: you can't go west, I wasn't interested in going south to Mexico, east lies the desert, and north is a long, long traffic snarl until you are beyond LA. Handy airport though, but overworked.

The Central Coast is much more livable--I have a house in Pismo Beach--but has gotten very pricey. Water is precious and yet California's laws allow the wineries to suck the aquifers dry. I visit the Monterey area frequently. It is even pricier. Because of the hordes of visitors that pass through, the locals are stand-offish. Exception: dog owners on the Carmel Beach.

The Northwest is great, if you can take the gloom. On a sunny day, it can be the most beautiful place in the world. We tried Port Townsend, WA for three and a half years, in a beautiful and yet affordable house with thirteen french doors looking out on Discovery Bay, Protection Island Bird Sanctuary, the Dungeness Spit lighthouse, and the Olympic mountains. But even on a sunny day in winter no sunlight penetrated the rooms until half an hour before sunset. We didn't see the sun at all for eighty-eight days once. I bought a seasonal disorder light and a Wingmaster a few days apart. The allergies are significant. Vitamin D deficiency is severe--I put put on 50,000 units a day. Kathryn Schultz wrote a terrifying article for The New Yorker about the fault lines running under Seattle. Portland, Eugene, and Ashland all have much to offer.