New Dentist - Lots of Recommended Work

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
hackermb

New Dentist - Lots of Recommended Work

Post by hackermb »

I went to a new dentist, as we have recently relocated, to have a 6 month cleaning done.

1) The hygienist was cleaning my teeth and said commented on how clean and good my teeth looked etc...

2) I have never had any issues with my teeth or mouth too date, in my early 30's.

3) New dentist comes into the room and says well it looks like you need 12 fillings. This caught be by surprise as I have never had a cavity before.

As a side note, my wife recently went to the same dentist for her cleaning, and guess what he said she had 10 cavities. I told her to get second opinion but she didn't and got them filled. Given that I got the exact same diagnosis and neither of us have had cavities before I will be getting a second opinion. Even though we live in a relatively affluent area and the dentist seems respectable I just can't believe my teeth need that much work. Even looking at the x-rays with the hygienist we didn't see anything that looked like a dark spot or cavity.

My question is can this second opinion wait until my next 6 month checkup that is covered by insurance? Note I am currently not experiencing any pain or soreness in my teeth with no other signs that something is wrong.

Thank you
athan

Re: New Dentist - Lots of Recommended Work

Post by athan »

Yes it can wait 6 months.
Yes, a second opinion sounds like a good idea.
Pajamas

Post by Pajamas »

If you had been going to a dentist on a regular basis and had x-rays done every couple of years and a new dentist tells you that you have 12 cavities and your wife has 10 cavities, get a second opinion. Go to another dentist.

If there is a dental school around, if you go there you can probably get a complete, detailed assessment done for $100 more or less along with a treatment plan if any work is needed. The students are thorough, at least one faculty dentist checks their work, and they have no financial incentive for doing procedures.
Last edited by Pajamas on Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang »

Danger Will Robinson! Danger! No Will Robinson! Danger!

I encountered this exact situation after moving and going to a dentist 5 minutes down the street from my new home. Every time I saw him there were 3 or 4 new cavities to be filled. After my next move I gave the list of work to be done to my new dentist and he told me that it was nonsense.

Definitely get another opinion.
Last edited by KlingKlang on Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:12 am, edited 2 times in total.
tcassette

Post by tcassette »

Did your new dentist by chance have a relatively new and plush office? Does he have a big staff? Does he advertise a lot? If so, I have experienced the same thing. Apparently the high overhead makes these guys bend their ethics a bit and create unnecessary business. Find another dentist.
alpenglow

Post by alpenglow »

Unless you and your wife have taken up eating bags of gummi bears on the daily, it sounds like a pile of horse "stuff".
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Looks like you are being targeted to pay for the dentist's student loans. :twisted: Get a second opinion.
Does your dentist own his own practice or work for someone? My friend who's a dentist works for someone and informs me that sometimes certain practices like clinics encourage treatments even if they aren't necessary, there is huge pressure to make revenue to cover loans, living expenses, business expansion. I was told the cost of a chair is about $100K. $100K on top of $250K in dentist education loans, you get the picture.

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
investorguy1

Post by investorguy1 »

KlingKlang wrote:Warning Will Robinson! Warning!

I encountered this exact situation after moving and going to a dentist 5 minutes down the street from my new home. Every time I saw him there were 3 or 4 new cavities to be filled. After my next move I gave the list of work to be done to my new dentist and he told me that it was nonsense.

Definitely get another opinion.
+1 this happened to me to. Run! I would also post bad reviews online in as many places as possible. Maybe there is a dental association you could complain to. There are fraudsters out there ripping people off someone should stop them if they could.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Your new dentist appears to be in a revenue maximization mode. I had actual experience with a new dentist who told me that I would lose all my teeth by the age of xx if I didn't have yy amount of dental work done by him right away. I found another dentist after asking for recommendations from my friends and coworkers and I was glad to have found a good and ethical dentist in a new area.

BTW, do you have a very good dental insurance? How many ex-wives does the dentist have?

My gut tells me that you need a new dentist, period.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Looks like it is getting close to the holidays and the dentist has some big bills coming up.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed an off-topic comment (medical advice). As a reminder, see: Medical Issues
Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
RudyS

Post by RudyS »

I would offer a general suggestion: anytime a practitioner of any trade or profession suggests expensive work, that makes no sense based on prior history, get another opinion! Or, if you have no basis to judge, get another opinion (like for car repairs).
greg24

Post by greg24 »

Can such shenanigans be reported to the BBB or a medical board or something? It sure sounds like medical fraud.
Mlm

Post by Mlm »

Fifteen years ago my dentist sold his practice and the new owner told me I needed a "preventative" crown. I found a new dentist who couldn't see any issues. I still have the tooth and have never had a problem. :shock:
mrc

Post by mrc »

Given your history, I doubt I would have kept my appointment with the new dentist that told my wife she had 10 cavities. Find another dentist. Once you do, you might consider reporting the situation to the state dental board.
By the time you know enough to choose a good financial adviser, you don't need one. | bogleheads.org is my advisor: The ER is 0.0% and the advice always solid.
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

My wife had the same experience. We relocated and had to change dentists. The first one we tried told her that she needed 9 or 10 fillings, which seemed very dubious as her teeth had been fine at the previous cleaning a year earlier. We got a second opinion and were told that she didn't need any fillings at all. I have to conclude that the first dentist was either incompetent or a flat-out liar; in either case he's not someone I would want touching my teeth. In addition to wasting money and a lot of unpleasant time in the dentist's chair, it seems clear to me that an unnecessary filling will leave the tooth in worse condition than it was originally.

If a dentist routinely recommends unneeded fillings as a revenue enhancer, that seems like malpractice to me. I don't know how such a business model could be sustained; I would think that after enough consumer complaints, the guy's license would be yanked, but maybe I'm naive.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

My experience is that reasonable people can have different opinions based on their training and experience. And there are some people who just do a lot of procedures. Whether they do it from greed or because their training tells them to, I don't know.

I had a great dentist while I was living out west. Really liked him and his staff. Then I finally realized he was going to recommend a new filling every 6 months till my mouth was full. Since I was already past 50 and had very few fillings, I was suspicious and decided to get another opinion.

Went to a different dentist for the next cleaning. He said he would probably "seal" those teeth, not fill them. I decided to wait and see. This dentist then because unavailable (went into a narrow practice) so I had to move on after a year.

Went to dentist #3 who said to wait and see. This was a "biological dentist" and they tend to be more conservative about messing with what mother nature gave you.

After about 4 years, I moved across the country to another "biological dentist". The teeth in question are still unfilled and still unsealed and doing fine….about 10 years after I was told I needed some fillings.

No way I would agree to 12 fillings when you have good solid teeth so far in life. Go get another opinion. Or several. Consider changing to a "biological dentist". It is an unfortunate name, but doing some searching and learn about this approach to dentistry. And be prepared to wait for an appointment because they tend to be busy.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Definitely get a second opinion, and in case the first one was correct or even partially correct, get it as soon as you can.

A few years ago, I had a dentist tell me I had a cavity. A month later, I happened to see another dentist to check on previous work he had done on another tooth. I decided to ask him about the cavity and he looked at the tooth and said that margins of the crown were no longer good, but he saw no cavity. When I saw the first dentist again, I told him what the other dentist had said. His reply was that he would know for certain whether there was a cavity when the crown had to be replaced. Because I liked his previous crown work and he charged less, I had him replace this crown. There was no cavity.

As for hygienists commenting on teeth during cleaning, it seems the ones I've had are deliberately not commenting. I even asked one hygienis if she saw any cavities and her rather coy answer was, "Nothing that stands out to me." I wonder whether some hygienists aren't told to not comment because it might conflict with what the dentist would later say?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 »

Recent visit to my dentist, took x-rays and there was a visible cavity in one area. Seems that an x-ray should or could show some if not all problem areas. Right? Especially if the cavity count is in double digits.
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

During a dental exam the dentist should be testing various areas of your teeth with a pointed hook like thing. I have been able to tell there is a cavity when the tool "sticks" or "catches" in an area.

See another dentist for another opinion.
Chan_va

Post by Chan_va »

When I first moved to this country many years ago, I used to go to this dentist who recommended about 3 fillings every time I saw him. He even had a tool that could "detect cavities before they form". Took me a while to wise up to this.

Another time I had a primary care physician who detected a potential abnormality with my heart beat during a routine physical. And lo and behold, she just happened to have the exact machine in her office that could perform the test she recommended.

I am sure that there are many many upright ethical physicians and dentists out there. There are more bad apples than you would think too.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Dottie57 wrote:During a dental exam the dentist should be testing various areas of your teeth with a pointed hook like thing. I have been able to tell there is a cavity when the tool "sticks" or "catches" in an area.

I would ask the dentist not to stab at my teeth that way. A small cavity can remineralize if treated conservatively. Such stabbing can make the situation worse.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
JPH

Post by JPH »

Here is a link to an old but informative article published in Reader's Digest. The reporter had his personal dentist and a panel of financially disinterested university dentists examine his teeth. He then randomly selected 50 dentists from different regions of the USA and visited each one for an exam and estimate. The estimates ranged from $500 to almost $30,000.
http://www.dentistat.com/ReaderDigestArticle.pdf
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Ricola

Post by Ricola »

Had my son in for cleaning and exam in his teens. Prior 6 mos visit he had no issues. This visit dentist says he has 7 cavities one side. We wait and have a different dentist as same facility check, and he say no, he has 5 cavities on the Opposite Side! How can this be science? :oops:
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

12 cavities! Ha, this sounds like with me when I was 1 year out of college and had toothache. One guy in my office gave me directions to a good dentist, but I must have missed a turn and ended at a different dentist = 12 fillings. The lady dentist had 6 pretty helpers around me while she kept drilling. Fillings do not last forever, so each new filling promises more future work!
Easy Rhino

Post by Easy Rhino »

yeah I recently had that happen with 10 fillings when I went to a new dentist.

To be honest, because the dental insurance was excellent and covered nearly all of it, I just shrugged and did it.

if I get another recommendation for 10 fillings, I'm walking out though.
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

Any way you can have him document his recommendations? Given the situation as you described it, it certainly seems unlikely there are that many cavities that popped up in 6 months, and it'd be interesting if he/she would be willing to put their name on the line by officially stating "based on x y and z my professional opinion is these are cavities that REQUIRE filling." That would be a very interesting beginning to a paper trail.
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

Nobody is going to say that. The best you can hope for is something like "in my opinion, the best course of action is to….". Others might have a different opinion. That is why they are "opinions", not facts.
snowshoes

Post by snowshoes »

Think odds. You both have none in 30+ yrs, all of a sudden 10, and she had 12 ? REALLY? I'd make a speculative bet* that you still have none, or maybe a couple in a worst case. What are the odds, who's taking the action*? I'd bet big! Good luck!
Yooper

Post by Yooper »

retiredjg wrote:Nobody is going to say that. The best you can hope for is something like "in my opinion, the best course of action is to….". Others might have a different opinion. That is why they are "opinions", not facts.
While I can't comment on your experiences, my dentist has done so on those occasions when she's referred me to another dentist. Complete with copies of Xrays and her official report. If a doctor wants to drill holes in my teeth (or any other invasive surgery), and I have questions why, and they are hesitant/uncomfortable about documenting why - I think I'd just keep walking until I found one who would. But that's just me.
InvestorNewb

Post by InvestorNewb »

I would go to another dentist. 12 fillings is absurd given what you describe.

I had 1 filling done about a year ago and experienced constant headaches for a month and a half after that. The tooth never bothered me in the first place. I hope to never have to repeat that process again.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

A year ago, my dentist told me he did not like what he saw on my tooth, thought it was makings of a cavity, used the stick test. I told him do xray show a cavity, nope, no dark spot, I said let's wait till next visit. Six months go by, no problem with stick test, no cavity, fast forward another six months, still no cavity knock wood. Find another dentist, if next dentist says there are more than 2 cavities, keep shopping. My own dentist recommended finding a dentist who has well established practice, owns location and is not beholden or pressured to make "sales".

The one practice that gets me is the one where they recommend replacing perfectly good fillings with white ones because they are "better". Turns out they are more profitable and their useful life is less under high pressure. Found that out the hard way.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

Grt2bOutdoors wrote:A year ago, my dentist told me he did not like what he saw on my tooth, thought it was makings of a cavity, used the stick test. I told him do xray show a cavity, nope, no dark spot, I said let's wait till next visit. Six months go by, no problem with stick test, no cavity, fast forward another six months, still no cavity knock wood. Find another dentist, if next dentist says there are more than 2 cavities, keep shopping. My own dentist recommended finding a dentist who has well established practice, owns location and is not beholden or pressured to make "sales". ...

I think your own dentist's recommendation makes sense, but while established practice and location ownership are possible to determine, I'm not sure how one would find out whether they are pressured to make sales. Who would admit it?
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

I have also experienced this.
I will spare the gory details, but I have come to the conclusion that far too many dentists are inept and/or dishonest and their smiley assistants are under pressure to remain silent.
Hulahoop60

Post by Hulahoop60 »

Twenty years ago my dentist was away on vacation when I lost a filling and part of my back molar, so I went to a local dentist to get it taken care of. After the exam and x-rays, he advised that I needed a root canal, but since I had impacted wisdom teeth, I would first need surgery to remove the wisdom teeth, and then they could do the root canal and new cap. He told me he was very concerned that I was not in pain.

So, I decided to wait a couple of weeks until my dentist returned, and he rebuilt the molar with some miracle porcelain and hot light. Took about 30 minutes during my lunch hour. Twenty years later, I just lost the filling and rest of the tooth last month. His filling lasted 20 years and there was barely a tooth there to begin with. We call him the Michelangelo of Teeth! Twenty years of no pain and no surgery, but it's time a root canal and new cap soon.
MondayMorningQB

Post by MondayMorningQB »

hackermb wrote:I went to a new dentist, as we have recently relocated, to have a 6 month cleaning done.

1) The hygienist was cleaning my teeth and said commented on how clean and good my teeth looked etc...

2) I have never had any issues with my teeth or mouth too date, in my early 30's.

3) New dentist comes into the room and says well it looks like you need 12 fillings. This caught be by surprise as I have never had a cavity before.

As a side note, my wife recently went to the same dentist for her cleaning, and guess what he said she had 10 cavities. I told her to get second opinion but she didn't and got them filled. Given that I got the exact same diagnosis and neither of us have had cavities before I will be getting a second opinion. Even though we live in a relatively affluent area and the dentist seems respectable I just can't believe my teeth need that much work. Even looking at the x-rays with the hygienist we didn't see anything that looked like a dark spot or cavity.

My question is can this second opinion wait until my next 6 month checkup that is covered by insurance? Note I am currently not experiencing any pain or soreness in my teeth with no other signs that something is wrong.

Thank you

Dentist here. All of us have different philosophies. I prefer to fix things early when they're small before they become a bigger problem. That means that if I see a small problem then I will recommend that we address the problem now while it is small before it eats away half of your tooth and becomes a bigger problem physically and financially. I've also worked with other dentists, especially older dentists, who will be much less likely to diagnose a filling on the same tooth. They'll just wait until that little cavity (needs a filling) becomes a big cavity (needs a crown and possibly a root canal).

And just like all dentists have different philosophies, all patients have different philosophies. Some patients want to hear that they have no problems and only want treatment when that little cavity has grown into the big cavity and now hurts. While others may want to be more proactive and avoid teeth that hurt. Maybe your new dentist over diagnosed or maybe your old dentist under diagnosed??? Regardless, if you're not confident in your dentist, get another opinion. I absolutely would NOT wait 6 months until insurance covered your cleaning for another exam.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

JPH wrote:
Dottie57 wrote:During a dental exam the dentist should be testing various areas of your teeth with a pointed hook like thing. I have been able to tell there is a cavity when the tool "sticks" or "catches" in an area.

I would ask the dentist not to stab at my teeth that way. A small cavity can remineralize if treated conservatively. Such stabbing can make the situation worse.

Where in the world is information that supports this?
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

If you have had regular checkups and cleanings with no issues and then a new dentist says you need 12 fillings I'd run away as fast as I could. I believe some dentists are flat out con artists.

My wife and I had a similar experience after a transfer move to a new town. The new dentist told us we each needed $6-7k worth of work. We got second opinions (plus a review of the rays by an out of town dentist friend). We were told virtually nothing was needed.

We ended up changing dentist 3 times in that town before finding someone competent that we could trust.

In our latest move we found an excellent dentist on the first try - very relieved.

Keep searching to find someone you can trust.
azurekep

Post by azurekep »

hackermb wrote:I went to a new dentist, as we have recently relocated, to have a 6 month cleaning done.

Same thing happened to me. The new dentist was wet around the ears and really enthusiastic. It was like he lived to find cavities. I asked for a free, second-opinion appointment from the same office, this time to see the original dentist, who is old and very experienced. He confirmed that everything was fine. Ever since, when making an appointment, I always ask that the original dentist be available when I come.
soboggled

Post by soboggled »

The problem is that with fluoridation and dental hygiene education people's teeth are too good. So too many dentists have to find problems and sell expensive "cosmetic" procedures to buy their boats. Among procedures to boost prices are premature "preventative" procedures, unnecessary crowns, excessive "deep cleaning", use of more expensive less permanent resin fillings rather than amalgams for back teeth and even replacing "dangerous" amalgam.
YoungDentist

Post by YoungDentist »

I feel the need to chime in here. I work in a very affluent city in a practice that prides itself on ethical, but very up to date procedures and techniques.

It is very common for a patient to move to our office after being seen by the same dentist for 25+ years. Often times that dentist/dental office is out dated and not using up to date equipment and radiographs. Many times after taking a series of digital radiographs we find multiple cavities.

Our office always takes intraoral photos of each tooth and shows these pictures to the patient. Usually some of the cavities are clear as day and it's easy for the patient to understand that some things maybe have been "watched" over the years that need to be addressed.

My advice to anyone who is skeptical of a dentist's recommendations is to ask to see intraoral photos and to have the dentist show you the cavities on the radiographs. (We do this by bringing them up on the TV in front of each chair and also by allowing the patient to hold a mirror while I show them what I see)

Secondly, ask yourself if the office seems up to date. If the answer is no, then this dental office may not be investing properly to ensure the best quality care for the patient. (Digital radiographs, intraoral cameras, cone beam technology)

Lastly, there are absolutely different personalities and philosophies in dentistry (just like investing!). One dentist may be a "watcher" while another is someone who will always suggest to fix even the smallest cavity/sealant. I wouldn't say that either is wrong or right every single time, but we are taught to diagnose what we see - in my opInion, if I don't at least let my patient know what is going on, then I'm not doing my profession and patient a service. It's up to the patient to determine if they want to take my advice or not.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Dottie57 wrote:
JPH wrote:

Where in the world is information that supports this?
See here:
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17167258

and here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remineralisation_of_teeth
Julieta

Post by Julieta »

+1

We moved across town, needed a local dentist and visited one highly recommended by an affluent neighbor. The new dentist, the sole practitioner in an office with a large staff, discovered I needed 2 crowns for several thousand dollars.

Hmmm...I asked for my X Rays and also requested dental records transferred to another practice for second opinion.

At that appointment, the records had not been sent. Several phone calls later requesting the records again and... long story short, the records were never sent. The office manager was testy and short tempered and stated emphatically that she had sent the records. After the exam, the second dentist stated there was no need for crowns. Hmmm...

I visited a third dentist several months later for a cleaning and 5 year X Rays (I was curious to see if she could determine any need for 2 crowns) and guess what? Right! No fillings or crowns needed.

Just sayin...check it out!
Keep It Simple
david99

Post by david99 »

Four years ago I went to a dentist that said that I had a cavitity ---- she diagnosed it without an X-ray. I did't have anything done at the time because I was skeptical. I've been to two other dentists since then and they have not found anything wrong.
fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 »

I wonder if we all go to the same dentist! Wife and I had the exact same experience, moved to a new city and found a dentist who started to point out all these problems with our teeth that were never mentioned by prior dentists, honestly made us feel like we had terrible dental hygiene. Each time we'd visit their story would change, new "cavities" were forming, old "cavities" weren't so bad anymore, etc. Fortunately, my skepticism kept us from buying into it completely and the staff were very nice which was a plus. In hindsight, it was a pretty upscale office with newer furnishings and equipment.
squirm

Post by squirm »

My dentist always shows me on the xrays where the cavities are. It's not difficult to see from the xrays. If you can't see them on the xrays, I'd call BS on the dentist, go somewhere else.
Does your dentist have reviews on yelp or somewhere?
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

I've experienced this, especially with younger dentists in flashy offices on the nice side of town. I switched to an older dentist in an office with 1990s décor on the shabby side of town. He is very reasonable and doesn't seem to push for anything ridiculous. Most of the time he compliments me on my good home care and says everything looks good. Maybe a minor filling every couple of years. His X-ray system is very old so maybe he is missing something, but my teeth look good and I don't feel anything wrong.
student5

Post by student5 »

Thanks for educating me about some dentists. Next time the dentist says that I will need several fillings, I'm going to ask if all these early dental defects will become cavities if no intervention is done (especially if the X rays are normal). A written reply from the dentist would be even better. Why can't one follow closely pro tem to see which ones (if any) progress and hence need fixing?
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

I would see one of those " Dental Monitors" that I see on TV. They just tell you if you have cavities, but don't fix them.
All the Best, | Joe
Jim180

Post by Jim180 »

I would have asked the dentist to show me on the x-rays where he sees the cavities.