Honey

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Barefootgirl

Honey

Post by Barefootgirl » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:02 pm

It's been years since I've eaten honey and mostly I like it on a bowl of oatmeal, but I've recently been convinced to bring it back into my life.

All the jars I've bought are rather tasteless, not like I how I recall the taste of honey.

I suppose that means I need to search out honey that comes from a particular type of flower if I want one with a complex taste?

suggestions?
How many retired people does it take to screw in a lightbulb? Only one, but he takes all day.

GenXer

Re: Honey

Post by GenXer » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:05 pm

1. Farmer's markets.
2. A higher-end local grocery store, if you have one in your area.
3. Google "honey" and your county/state. See if anything turns up.

ikowik

Post by ikowik » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:10 pm

Most supermarket honeys are heated to high temp.s and filtered; and clover honey, the commonly available variety, has a rather limited flavor.
Unfiltered "raw" honey which is heated to much lower temp.s, especially of the wildflower type, tastes better. See if your favorite supermarkets carry such a brand.

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:43 pm

Find something local.

Tycoon

Post by Tycoon » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:50 pm

Texas A&M Honey Bee Lab

[Link formatted by admin LadyGeek]
Appeal to Pity:When pity is envoked to support a statement | Appeal to Popular Sentiment:Appealing to unrelated prejudices and attitudes | Hasty Generalization:Too little evidence to support the conclusion

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:18 pm

It is possible that your taste for honey has changed. Many people who cut sweets out of their diets for a while find that they no longer like the taste.

For something this personal, you will have to find something you like which should be a fun quest. I know folks who get taste tests of ice cream and beer before purchasing larger amounts. I suppose you can do the same thing with honey, wine, coffee, tea, cheese, etc. Certainly, our grocery stores have food samples for tasting all the time.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:27 pm

ikowik wrote:Most supermarket honeys are heated to high temp.s and filtered; and clover honey, the commonly available variety, has a rather limited flavor.
Unfiltered "raw" honey which is heated to much lower temp.s, especially of the wildflower type, tastes better. See if your favorite supermarkets carry such a brand.
Costco carries raw honey in my area.

tidelandp

Post by tidelandp » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:35 pm

Honey is often adulterated. It is recognized to be one of the world’s top faked food. Here is a story of one scam, http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/ ... ot-history.

To be assured of a quality product, buy local from a known beekeeper.

dm200

Post by dm200 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:52 pm

I don't eat it any more, since it is primarily just sugar BUT ...

I recall, many decades ago, that you could buy honey in the comb - about 6" or so squares of hone in a wooden frame. You could eat the comba and all. BOY was that ever good!

EyeYield

Post by EyeYield » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:09 pm

Have you tried Manuka honey? I've only used it in my Fresh Green Yerba Mate, Sencha Green Tea, American Ginseng, Echinacea Purpurea and Echinacea Angustifolia combination, but, for me, it adds a good flavor tilt.

Manuka also has many supposed medicinal qualities. It's not cheap though.
"The stock market is a giant distraction from the business of investing." - Jack Bogle

Zott

Post by Zott » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:30 pm

Traders Joe's has a pretty good selection of honeys.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:52 pm

We buy our raw honey from Glacier Grown, it is excellent.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Thu Nov 03, 2016 11:41 pm

As someone pointed out, if you bought supermarket honey you may have gotten honey diluted with corn syrup without much flavor.

As someone else pointed out, Trader Joe's has several different kinds of honey. The prices are reasonable.

If there is honey produced locally or regionally available at a farmer's market or elsewhere, that is another good option.

chknlips

Post by chknlips » Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:02 am

Honey was a favorite "treat" of mine until we moved out into the country and tried maintaining our own hive. It turned out that without treating the bees with antibiotics they would all die each year.... then the little "buggers" would up and leave "en mass" and for no apparent reason. That, combined with our inability to control their travels relative to pesticide sprayed crops of nearby farms kind of "poisoned" my addiction.

Honey became a less desirable treat after that experience.

I suppose though it can't be any worse than coffee. We gladly buy beans from South American countries that still use banned pesticides like DDT, grind them up and then drink the "rinse water".

Not so much a great treat once you think about it!?!

Take care, Chknlips

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:24 am

Savannah Bee, winter white honey - I've had brunch guests compliment it and ask what it was.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Fri Nov 04, 2016 9:07 am

Barefootgirl wrote:All the jars I've bought are rather tasteless, not like I how I recall the taste of honey.

I suppose that means I need to search out honey that comes from a particular type of flower if I want one with a complex taste?

suggestions?
As someone who used to have 150 colonies of bees, here is my advice.

Yes flavor varies greatly on type of flower the pollen came from. White clover has a very mild taste to it while Goldenrod has a very strong flavor to it. There are a thousand different shades of flavor in between those from different flowers and different combinations of those flowers.

Honey that you find in most supermarkets is mass produced. It is a combination of many many varieties and thus that dilutes the strong flavors. Sadly, a lot of supermarket honey is imported these days and many of these countries filter out all the pollen completely to avoid others from tracking the honey. China does this a lot. This too also removed flavor. Big honey bottling companies pasteurize the honey to sterilize it and extend shelf life in liquid form. This too removes flavor.

Your best bet is to go to stores that sell honey local to your area. Don't worry if the local honey sugars much quicker than you are used to with store bought honey. Put it in the microwave for 30 seconds or so and it will be back to liquid and tasting exactly as it did before it sugared.

Capsu78

Post by Capsu78 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:32 am

Avoid honey "made in China" at all costs, which is what a lot of major brands is- you have no idea what kinds of plants they are drawing pollen from.
Local is best and not hard to find in many areas. My "honey guy" says he can even taste the difference in spring honey from late summer honey- my pallet, not so much.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:49 am

dm200 wrote:I don't eat it any more, since it is primarily just sugar BUT ...
It is bizarre how it is almost marketed as a health food today.

cpw84

Post by cpw84 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 11:53 am

+1 about adulterated grocery store honey. The last study I saw was pretty bad. I go with farmer's markets when I can.

For flavor, I prefer orange blossom and tupelo. Tupelo is regional and a bit more expensive, so that might be a stretch. Also, it is a honey that doesn't crystallize, so it is fairly easy to spot fakes.

I have heard that the term "wildflower" honey means they didn't track the source or it is a blend.

btenny

Post by btenny » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:01 pm

Go to the local Farmers Market. Or order it on the internet. My sister in law buys a case via the internet from a Colorado honey company which she shares with us and some friends. That stuff is good.

Good Luck.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:01 pm

When I lived in Ohio I had a beekeeper co-worker and bought many 5 gallon jars of his raw honey for $25 each. Best stuff I ever had. See if you can find someone like that in your area.

Now that I live in Washington I buy raw honey from Costco.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:31 pm

No specific recommendations, but Googling "honey samples" turns up many many vendors. Might be a good trial, if you don't have local options.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:11 pm

stoptothink wrote:
It is a sugar but there is a difference. Granulated sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Honey is 30% glucose, 40% fructose and 30% more complex sugars. All are broken down by the body into glucose. Since the body has to exert more energy into breaking down honey into glucose than it does with granulated sugar, your body stores less excess calories with honey than with the granulated stuff.

On a side note, if you make chocolate chip cookies and substitute 3/4 cup honey for every 1 cup sugar and reduce the baking temperature about 25 degrees, you end up with a cookie that never gets hard. Pop it in the microwave days later for a few seconds and it still tastes like it is fresh out of the oven.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:40 pm

Yes, dear? :mrgreen:

- Ron

foreverihope

Post by foreverihope » Sat Nov 05, 2016 2:51 pm

http://www.tupelohoney3.com/category_s/77.htm

Its not cheap, but was the honey of CSI Miami, it was the sex honey episode, go Horatio.

CABob

Post by CABob » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:01 pm

Pajamas wrote: If there is honey produced locally or regionally available at a farmer's market or elsewhere, that is another good option.
+1 especially if the seller is also the producer. They often will have samples and will answer questions. But, I wouldn't rule out the thought that your taste may have changed over the years.
Bob

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:04 pm

lthenderson wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
It is a sugar but there is a difference. Granulated sugar is 50% glucose and 50% fructose. Honey is 30% glucose, 40% fructose and 30% more complex sugars. All are broken down by the body into glucose. Since the body has to exert more energy into breaking down honey into glucose than it does with granulated sugar, your body stores less excess calories with honey than with the granulated stuff.

On a side note, if you make chocolate chip cookies and substitute 3/4 cup honey for every 1 cup sugar and reduce the baking temperature about 25 degrees, you end up with a cookie that never gets hard. Pop it in the microwave days later for a few seconds and it still tastes like it is fresh out of the oven.
Quite aware of what it is. It is very marginally better for your in most instances than table sugar yet "sweetened with honey" has become a very popular health marketing gimmick. It's just bizarre. We should be getting accustomed to food that is "sweetened by nothing".

Minot

Post by Minot » Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:08 pm

Buckwheat honey is quite flavorful. I haven't eaten it in years, so can't recommend a particular source, but Google comes up with a number of choices.