Dress shoes

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
ediekrager

Dress shoes

Post by ediekrager » Thu Nov 03, 2016 2:07 pm

I know this has been touched on indirectly in other clothing posts, but I am looking for a pair of black slip-on dress shoes that could be worn with either khakis or a suit. Kind of an everyday work shoe for a business casual environment. I would like something durable for under $200. What brands or specific shoes should I look at? I don't have any special sizing or fitting requirements.

yukonjack

Re: Dress shoes

Post by yukonjack » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:35 pm

It's tough to beat Nordstrom for shoes. They have numerous brands and styles.

sport

Post by sport » Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:50 pm

I like Rockports. They are comfortable and durable. They make some nice dress slip-ons too.

http://www.rockport.com/rockport/mens-slip-ons

strafe

Post by strafe » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Ecco Windsor slip on might fit your needs

If this will be your only pair of business casual shoes, you should consider dark brown instead of black.

Hard to find a durable shoe under $200. Most are glued on rubber soles. Allen Edmonds makes great quality dress shoes that are usually on sale for just a little more.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:13 pm

I like Cole Haan. Can get them on sale often. Usually $75-$125. I would just be careful as slip ons with suits can be too casual depending on the type.

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:18 pm

If you want American made, true craftsmanship and something that can be re-soled to last 10-20 years, up your budget and buy some Allen Edmonds.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

TRC wrote:If you want American made, true craftsmanship and something that can be re-soled to last 10-20 years, up your budget and buy some Allen Edmonds.
I've heard they are good shoes, but I don't want shoes for 20 years. I don't want anything for 20 years, but that is just me.

stan1

Post by stan1 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:17 pm

I only buy shoes with synthetic soles. I have Eccos and an Allen-Edmonds but to be honest what I've been wearing most for the past few years are Dunhams by New Balance. They fit my needs just fine.

inbox788

Post by inbox788 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:28 pm

I love the Merrill World Passport for the comfort. Unfortunately, they may be discontinued.
http://www.dsw.com/shoe/merrell+world+p ... dId=311289
You can get away with them with khakis, but undressed with a suit.

BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:35 pm

TRC wrote:If you want American made, true craftsmanship and something that can be re-soled to last 10-20 years, up your budget and buy some Allen Edmonds.
Agreed. I only buy/wear Allen Edmonds. Once worn in, they are the most comfortable shoe you'll ever wear. Great quality and so easy to just re-sole for $75or so every year or two. Definitely recommend the Park Avenues for a good all-around dress shoe (not a slip on though I'm sure they have plenty of options for that).
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Clarks Unstructured.

Thank me later.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:34 pm

$200, while a sizable amount of money, is inbetween the 'cheap' and nice shoe category. I'm a huge Allen Edmond can, however I'm not a huge fan of their slip ons. I would take a look at Bruno magli, however you would need to up your budget by a bit.

Lou354

Post by Lou354 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:11 am

I like Ecco Helsinki loafers.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Nov 04, 2016 6:28 am

canderson wrote:Clarks Unstructured.

Thank me later.
+1

I can't wear anything else now. I tried to get a pair of Allen Edmonds, but they're nowhere near as comfortable as my Clarks.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:20 am

What's your definition of durable?

Swansea

Post by Swansea » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:27 am

Allen Edmonds are great. Their EEE width is the best shoe I've found for my wide foot.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:39 am

kjvmartin wrote:
canderson wrote:Clarks Unstructured.

Thank me later.
+1

I can't wear anything else now. I tried to get a pair of Allen Edmonds, but they're nowhere near as comfortable as my Clarks.
Nope, went from Clarks unstructured straight to Allen Edmonds and prefer the latter. Fit is important, and if you get it right, Allen Edmonds are very comfortable. Clarks unstructured isn't really a dress shoe. And slip on? The OP is talking about a loafer.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:57 am

I have been thinking about this too recently and then saw this post on the forum.

What about Florsheim? Anyone familiar with this brand? I am curious of thoughts regarding price, quality, and so forth.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 12:50 pm

abuss368 wrote:I have been thinking about this too recently and then saw this post on the forum.

What about Florsheim? Anyone familiar with this brand? I am curious of thoughts regarding price, quality, and so forth.
I heard that Florsheim used to be a great shoe when it was still made in the USA but nowadays quality has declined to be on par with many of the $100 shoe brands mentioned in this thread. Not to say it's bad quality, but it's not the same as Allen Edmonds and Alden.

I wear Allen Edmonds and agree with a prior poster about their selection of loafers. I got a pair of the Westchester right before they were discontinued and it's a beautiful shoe. Alden makes an equivalent shoe called the full-strap slip-on, but it is $500.

I also agree that $200 is a bit of no-man's land in terms of selection of shoes. $100-150 or $350+ are where dress shoes tend to fall.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 1:54 pm

simplesimon wrote:
abuss368 wrote:I have been thinking about this too recently and then saw this post on the forum.

I heard that Florsheim used to be a great shoe when it was still made in the USA but nowadays quality has declined to be on par with many of the $100 shoe brands mentioned in this thread. Not to say it's bad quality, but it's not the same as Allen Edmonds and Alden.

I wear Allen Edmonds and agree with a prior poster about their selection of loafers. I got a pair of the Westchester right before they were discontinued and it's a beautiful shoe. Alden makes an equivalent shoe called the full-strap slip-on, but it is $500.

I also agree that $200 is a bit of no-man's land in terms of selection of shoes. $100-150 or $350+ are where dress shoes tend to fall.
Thank you for the response. I was not aware that Florsheim was made overseas. Would you happen to know where?
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:04 pm

abuss368 wrote:Thank you for the response. I was not aware that Florsheim was made overseas. Would you happen to know where?
From what I have found via google, some people have said China and India. I believe you'll have to look at the inside of the shoe before buying to know for sure.

PowDay

Post by PowDay » Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:10 pm

ediekrager wrote:I know this has been touched on indirectly in other clothing posts, but I am looking for a pair of black slip-on dress shoes that could be worn with either khakis or a suit. Kind of an everyday work shoe for a business casual environment. I would like something durable for under $200. What brands or specific shoes should I look at? I don't have any special sizing or fitting requirements.
I think you are looking for the wrong type of shoe, black shoes should only be worn with black suits, and black suits should only be worn to funerals. Brown loafers can be worn with khakies, but I wouldn't wear them with a suit. A conservative brown oxford will be the most versatile so I would start there, then pick up a second set of loafers later on.

Allen Edmonds have sales twice a year, and generally have one of their standard offers available in the $250 range, I just picked up a pair of their Fifth Avenues this spring with the dainite sole and they have been great. For durability I recommend the dainite sole or the combination tap sole, I find I significantly more wear out of them over the standard leather(Though I do 2-3 miles of city walking a day.)

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Fri Nov 04, 2016 4:28 pm

PowDay wrote:
ediekrager wrote:I know this has been touched on indirectly in other clothing posts, but I am looking for a pair of black slip-on dress shoes that could be worn with either khakis or a suit. Kind of an everyday work shoe for a business casual environment. I would like something durable for under $200. What brands or specific shoes should I look at? I don't have any special sizing or fitting requirements.
I think you are looking for the wrong type of shoe, black shoes should only be worn with black suits, and black suits should only be worn to funerals. Brown loafers can be worn with khakies, but I wouldn't wear them with a suit. A conservative brown oxford will be the most versatile so I would start there, then pick up a second set of loafers later on.

I've always thought black shoes with grey or blue suits or trousers, brown shoes with brown or tan. But I just saw a display at Macy's suggesting that I would want a grey suit, purple shirt, and brown shoes. I'm 80 and just can't fathom the new color "codes". I do see many black shoes offered in shoe stores so I think they must have more uses than just to go to funerals. And by the way, "leathers must match" so brown shoes, brown belt, black shoes, black belt.

epictetus

Post by epictetus » Fri Nov 04, 2016 5:58 pm

if any of the styles from San Antonio Shoe (SAS) are what you are looking for that might be a good option. they are well made shoes, made in the USA, very comfortable, at the price you are looking for, and last a long time. their shoes are all i have worn to work for many years.
Focus on what you can control

wolf359

Post by wolf359 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:34 pm

sport wrote:I like Rockports. They are comfortable and durable. They make some nice dress slip-ons too.

I agree with this recommendation. I've only worn Rockports for years. They are very good quality and comfortable.

I remembered reading about shoes in "The Millionaire Next Door." This is what Dr. Stanley said about the topic:

http://www.thomasjstanley.com/2010/10/b ... -of-shoes/

Billionaire

Post by Billionaire » Fri Nov 04, 2016 7:41 pm

The only shoes I buy are Allen Edmunds. The reason being they are the only company that make shoes in my size 13A. Yep, they are expensive.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:08 pm

I don't know that they have much in the way of slip-ons but my go-to dress shoes are Cole Haan, they hold up pretty good, look good, and you can get them at Nordstrom Rack for half price. Ecco is also good and nearly indestructible. Just threw out a pair I wore once per week for 12 years that I think I paid $80 for at Nordstrom Rack. The rubber on the sole started to crack recently.

Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide » Fri Nov 04, 2016 8:11 pm

Lou354 wrote:I like Ecco Helsinki loafers.
+1 these are the shoes I wear every day.

fasteddie911

Post by fasteddie911 » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:02 am

Sartorially speaking, I'd reconsider wearing black loafers with khakis or a suit. Having said that, I'd suggest used Allen Edmonds, their seconds (new blemished pairs at shoebank.com), or wait until nordstrom has their semi-annual sales. These options would put you in the $200 price range and generally give you a shoe with a higher quality leather and craftsmanship over cheaper brands. However, those cheaper brands (ecco, florsheim, cole haan, etc.) will serve your needs just fine as well. I own shoes from allen edmonds, florsheim and cole haan and they all work fine for me.

Rodc

Post by Rodc » Sat Nov 05, 2016 12:04 pm

If you are not a picky high end shoe person you can just go to Designer Shoe Warehouse and do very well for less money than a mainstream shoe store or department store. Assuming you have one nearby. Lots of high quality choices (and lower quality) at least in fairly common sizes. Not the very highest quality but certainly in that $200 retail price range.

I got a nice pair of Cole Haan dress (ish, can do double duty with khakis or a suit outside of formal situations) slip-ons there.
Last edited by Rodc on Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
We live a world with knowledge of the future markets has less than one significant figure. And people will still and always demand answers to three significant digits.

ddurrett896

Post by ddurrett896 » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:11 am

Allen Edmonds hands down - the Strands are my favorite.

Hard to find under $200, but If your near an outlet or can find one that ships (the one in Charleston, SC does), you can find factory seconds near $200.

rustymutt

Post by rustymutt » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:38 am

sport wrote:I like Rockports. They are comfortable and durable. They make some nice dress slip-ons too.

Plus one on Rockports.
I'm amazed at the wealth of Knowledge others gather, and share over a lifetime of learning. The mind is truly unique. It's nice when we use it!

TRC

Post by TRC » Sun Nov 06, 2016 7:39 am

ddurrett896 wrote:Allen Edmonds hands down - the Strands are my favorite.

Hard to find under $200, but If your near an outlet or can find one that ships (the one in Charleston, SC does), you can find factory seconds near $200.
One thing to note, is that AE uses different "lasts" to shape their shoes. I have 4 pairs of AE's. Some fit amazingly well, others not so much. I would try on different AE Models that have different lasts to see what fits your foot best. Also, I don't have a wide foot by normal shoes, but a few AE's I've required an E width. My favorite is the McAlister wingtip and the Long Branch Wingtip boot.

afan

Post by afan » Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:29 am

I suggest you look at styleforum dot net. This is a site for clothing enthusiasts and has many, many threads about different brands and types of shoes. The posters will give you lots of information and firm opinion (this is the internet, of course) about the advantages and limitations of each one.

Personal experience: I used to wear Rockports and Clark's unstructured. I thought that was about as good as shoes would get. But my feet always hurt.

Eventually, I tried more "substantial" shoes with steel shanks, firm leather soles and more support. I have not worn my old Clark's or Rockports since.

I followed the advice to try Allen Edmonds, but I found them lacking in support.

Price- I agree with the information about Allen Edmonds seconds and sales.
The best prices on shoes are to be hand on ebay. Used shoes depreciate dramatically. Allen Edmonds, specifically, not so much. The price of a pair of lightly worn AE's will be similar to new seconds. But you will have lots of choices in the $200 range.

If you are willing to expand beyond AE, then you have a lot of options. Used Aldens are more expensive than AE, but I find them much more supportive and comfortable.

Florsheim- There is "old" Florsheim and "newer" Florsheim. Old Florsheim was a top quality shoe, but they have not been made for decades. Once upon a time there was a flourishing domestic shoe business. Florsheim was among the top of these companies. Then the American shoe industry had difficulty competing with lower priced foreign manufacturing. Some companies went out of business. Some, like Florsheim tried moving production overseas, but the quality declined. The brand name and appearance of the shoes has been sold several times. If you go on ebay you can find some "old" made it USA Florsheims. Anything made in at least the last 20 years has been made overseas and at a much lower quality point. They can be had new for around $200 and NEW on ebay for much less. Same name but totally different shoe.

The advantage of the higher level shoes plays out once you have worn them for a while. They last much longer and look like presentable shoes much longer. Many people do not care about this, so it is not worth paying the higher price.

The shoes typically can be resoled several times. The cost depends on where you live. I have heard people quote $75 for this service, but have never found anyone who would do it for near that price in my area. There are some mail in places that advertise prices close to that. I tried one and discovered that the skill involved is rapidly fading away. After several phone conversations, they said they could not resole the shoes. There are independent cobbler shops that do a great job, but charge more like $150-200. For Allen Edmonds you can send them back to the factory for resoling for a similar price. Yes, that means that resoling costs about the same as new seconds or lightly used AEs. People generally find the shoes get more comfortable with time, so many people would prefer resoling the shoes they have to getting a new pair.

Lace up vs slip on with suits- a matter of personal taste. There are definitely people who wear this combination and are happy with it. For the most formal occasions, black tie outfits typically involve slip on shoes, not lace up.

Black vs. brown- again a matter of taste.You will get a lot of opinions at styleforum.
We don't know how to beat the market on a risk-adjusted basis, and we don't know anyone that does know either | --Swedroe | We assume that markets are efficient, that prices are right | --Fama