How Long should Updates for Windows 10 take to load??

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
1210sda

How Long should Updates for Windows 10 take to load??

Post by 1210sda » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:03 pm

Lately when I get updates from Microsoft, it takes a very, very long time to complete. I get a black screen and the whirling "dots" that start in the evening say 5 or 6 pm and are still not done the next morning.

Any ideas on what might be causing this?

How long does it take you to complete the updates?

Thanks in advance.

squirm

Re: How Long should Updates for Windows 10 take to load??

Post by squirm » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:09 pm

Mine are very quick, but I have an i7 with an SSD.

jesscj

Post by jesscj » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:16 pm

I've been having the same thing happen to one of our laptops I've shut it down then restart then it will finally finish loading. It's happened three times now exactly how you describe with spinning icon at lower center of screen.
"Gonna Make It"

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:56 pm

1210sda wrote:Lately when I get updates from Microsoft, it takes a very, very long time to complete. I get a black screen and the whirling "dots" that start in the evening say 5 or 6 pm and are still not done the next morning.

Thanks in advance.

Was this an upgrade or originally a clean install?
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:03 pm

jebmke wrote:
1210sda wrote:Lately when I get updates from Microsoft, it takes a very, very long time to complete. I get a black screen and the whirling "dots" that start in the evening say 5 or 6 pm and are still not done the next morning.

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:08 pm

1210sda wrote:
jebmke wrote:

Thanks in advance.

Upgrade

I have upgraded a few (8-10) laptops from W8.1 and W7 and several had stability problems. I reinstalled W10 as a clean install with no issues after that. As an aside, I find the same thing often happens with major upgrades of Android (e.g. 5.x to 6.x) so I make it a practice with those devices to do a factory reset after a major upgrade. This forces a clean install of the latest version. It may seem onerous but I've found that in the long run, it is less trouble than chasing problems. I have 50 laptops and do a clean install annually just to keep them clean.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

jasc15

Post by jasc15 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 8:46 pm

Is it taking a long time but eventually updating at some point, or are you stopping the process?

I ask because I can leave mine for hours and hours (overnight on several occasions) and there is no progress. In fact it will freeze and become unresponsive. I found through some web searching that uninstalling antivirus software temporarily and disconnecting any SATA drives (other than the boot drive of course) will allow the update to complete.

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:38 am

jasc15 wrote:Is it taking a long time but eventually updating at some point, or are you stopping the process?

I ask because I can leave mine for hours and hours (overnight on several occasions) and there is no progress. In fact it will freeze and become unresponsive. I found through some web searching that uninstalling antivirus software temporarily and disconnecting any SATA drives (other than the boot drive of course) will allow the update to complete.

I turn it off and restart. Sometimes it takes several shut downs. Eventually it finishes.

Sorry, I don't want to uninstall my antivirus software and I have no idea what a SATA drive is.

Higman

Post by Higman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:55 am

1210 – You are not alone. This is a common problem yet to be resolved by Microsoft. Just google the problem and you will see many hits. I have the same issue. I have two identical desktops that I upgraded from Windows 7. One will always hang up like yours after a windows update and restart. Yet my other PC doesn’t. Two main themes of bypasses are:

1. Disconnect all USB devices prior to update (except keyboard & monitor). Then run the update. (This however did not help me.)

2. There are issues with legacy AMD Radeon graphics drivers and Catalyst Control Center. I think this is my problem but can’t fix it.

My bypass is just like yours. After about 10 minutes of the looping circle of dots I power down the PC and every time it powers up ok and finishes the update.

Good luck to us on future updates.

fizxman

Post by fizxman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am

I've had issues ever since the anniversary update. During that update it got stuck. After waiting overnight, I had to restart my computer to get it unstuck. After the restart, it updated in a timely fashion.

But ever since that update, when I boot up my computer, it would get stuck on that screen (I wasn't paying attention but I think it coincided with updates). When it got stuck, I would restart my computer and sometimes it would boot up fine, sometimes it wouldn't but usually after a few attempts it would finally come on. But last Friday I was playing Battlefield 1 and stopped playing to eat dinner and when I came back, it was on the black screen with the whirling dots. I assumed it did an update and restarted itself but I could not get my computer to come back. After messing with it for 3-5 hours, I gave up and reinstalled Windows 10. Everything seems to be fine for now, but I'm afraid the same thing will happen when it Windows tries to update itself.

rec7

Post by rec7 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:12 am

I get them every once in awhile. I am guessing they take 15 minutes. Other than that it runs great.
Disclaimer: You might lose money doing anything I say. Although that was not my intent. | Favorite song: Sometimes He Whispers Jay Parrack

soccerdad12

Post by soccerdad12 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:14 am

I have had the same problem when I have upgraded several from win 7 and 8 to 10.

What seems to have solved it is to set windows to never update before you start the upgrade process.

midareff

Post by midareff » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:15 am

squirm wrote:Mine are very quick, but I have an i7 with an SSD.

Likewise with 16 gb ram and running Malwarebytes Premium + Anti-exploit and Defender. Could your hard drive be very close to full or badly need defragging? FWIW, 10 was a full clean install not an upgrade.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:33 am

I have also found that some of the native device drivers in W10 for old devices (especially printers) will install but not work properly. I do not allow W10 to install its own driver for an older printer. I now go directly to the mfr web site and download the drivers that they provide. So far, that seems to fix my "old device" problems.

On laptops that I upgraded from W7 to W10 I deleted all the printers and reinstalled again with the newer drivers.

One advantage of doing a clean install is that it forces you to reinstall EVERY device and cleans out any old drivers that you no longer need.

DoTheMath

Post by DoTheMath » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:22 am

I use a Windows machine at work and occasionally after updates it gets hung on the gray spinning wheel (of death).

After consulting google, I found that if I disconnected the things plugged into a USB port (in my case the keyboard and mouse), it then booted up with no problem. I could reconnect those items and they worked without trouble. I think it get's hung up because of some driver issue. Regardless, this works for me.
“I am losing precious days. I am degenerating into a machine for making money. I am learning nothing in this trivial world of men. I must break away and get out into the mountains...” -- John Muir

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:46 pm

I just do a hard shutdown when the disc whirring goes on too long. When it comes back up the install process proceeds in a normal fashion.

Nyc10036

Post by Nyc10036 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:20 pm

It has taken the entire afternoon to update my Windows 10 laptop = 5 hours

With this newest updates Internet Explorer is back.

I don't use this laptop but turn it on every month or so just for Windows updates.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:35 pm

There have been some major updates rolled out lately. I have an i7 Haswell with an SSD that I seldom use, and it chews on updates for a long time before it can swallow.

wanderer

Post by wanderer » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:43 pm

DoTheMath wrote:I use a Windows machine at work and occasionally after updates it gets hung on the gray spinning wheel (of death).

After consulting google, I found that if I disconnected the things plugged into a USB port (in my case the keyboard and mouse), it then booted up with no problem. I could reconnect those items and they worked without trouble. I think it get's hung up because of some driver issue. Regardless, this works for me.

+1

1210sda

Post by 1210sda » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:53 am

OP update.

Yesterday I let the circling dots go on for about 8-10 hours. Finally, last night after being without my pc or the internet for so long, I began trying to
get back in.

It was weird. I would get all the way through to the desktop and then my little arrow would freeze. in a few seconds, i would get a message saying either "Windows did not load properly", or "Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart". (Btw: some of the causes indicated were "Stopcode Driver: IRQL not less or equal", "DPC Watchdog Violation", or NDU.Sys.)

I attempted to restart Windows about 8 times, to the same conclusion....You need to restart your computer.

THE HAPPY ENDING: In desperation, I disconnected my ethernet cable from the wall. Then I turned on my pc. This time, the little arrow did not freeze. I clicked on the "Excel" icon and it loaded. I was very happy that at least I could have access to my spreadsheets, etc.

Since that worked, I decided to plug the ethernet cable back in and reboot. Incredibly, I was able to get on the internet.

I don't know what the cause of my problems was ( a driver?) and even worse, I don't understand what finally made it work right, only that it is now working. I will remain somewhat fearful for the next several updates from Windows.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help. I was without my pc or the internet for over 12 hours. It was awful. It's scary how dependent I am on them.

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:43 am

If I recall correctly, the fast "shutdown" that W8.1 (and I assume W10) uses isn't really a shutdown - it is a hibernation of sorts. I think there is a way to do a real shutdown. Sometimes problems need a hardware shutdown and restart. Even with W7 doing a "restart" isn't the same as doing a complete shutdown (cold machine) and then restarting the machine.

As I said before, I'm not a fan of upgrades. Even with general problems, if I think I can't fix it in an hour or less I am inclined to re-image the hardware and move along. Too many times I have ended up investing more time chasing a problem than I would have invested in a clean re-install.

One of the keys to making this "easy" is, once you have a clean OS install then install your core software. Then take an image which you can use later as a "fresh start." Figure out what your core apps are, install them on a clean OS then use a imaging package like Macrium (or even MS DISM utilities) to take a snapshot of the machine state.

One you do it a couple times it gets quite fast. I can re-image a newish machine in < 1 hour (with USB 3 flash drive) + two glasses of wine.

montanagirl

Post by montanagirl » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:10 am

I bought a new HP desktop last Wednesday, and on Thurs it installed the Oct 27 security updates fine but when it caught up to the anniversary features update it failed 16 times before it finally "took." This and the HP Assistant updates drove me freaking crazy.. I nearly took the machine back to the store.

I think it's all done for now...let's hope. :annoyed

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:01 am

I have a 5 year old computer laptop. It was considered slow The day I bought it. All the updates have installed seemlessly overnight.

The key is to let the updates, update on their own. If you do nothing but use the computer, your next boot up may be a couple minutes longer if an update occurred. That will be all that you notice.

It's when you seek updates that problems occur. Even Apple updates where they control the hardware and software have issues with major updates they release. Almost every x.x.0 update is followed by an x.x.1 update days later. Imagine how Microsoft will do with much less control on hardware configurations that run windows. I received the Anniversary update 2 months after it was released.

But what about security updates? You want the latest and most secure software. Unfortunately, it's not Hobson's choice:

1. Install and you will be secure.
2. Don't install and you will be instantly hacked.

There's a third and fourth possibility:

3. Install immediately and your computer will not work.
4. Wait for others to have issues. Let the update push to your device automatically and then install.