Printer/Copier recommendation for home use

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
dickyboy

Printer/Copier recommendation for home use

Post by dickyboy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:23 am

I need to replace my aging HP copier and am looking at the all-in-one machines that are one the market. There are so many brands and versions that it's mind boggling. Many are on sale now. I really don't need color, however I don't see any out there that only print black and white. I don't care to buy color cartridges if I don't have to. I'd like to print wirelessly from my I-pad and computer and don't want to spend more than $100.
What are my fellow Bogleheads using and are there any recommendations out there for me ? Pros and cons please !!

obgraham

Re: Printer/Copier recommendation for home use

Post by obgraham » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:29 am

As always: "Depends"

If you only print a modest amount, go to WallyWorld and buy the cheapest $30 they have. Works just as well as others, likely makes more noise. If you are lucky it won't be an HP.

Sconie

Post by Sconie » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:31 am

I've had the best luck with Brother machines-----inexpensive to buy, inexpensive cartridges, simple to operate----and when it no longer works, throw it out and buy another.
I know that you think you understand what you thought I said, but I don't think you realize that what I said is necessarily what I meant......

sksbog

Post by sksbog » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:34 am

I have leXmarks black and white Lazer printer for last night 10 years. :D works well with generic cartridge.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:36 am

The cheap 2 cartridge Cannons work well for me.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:09 pm

Back in 2007 I went to Newegg (no connection) and purchased the cheapest laser black and white printer they had. It was a HP 1018 for $30. It still works great and is on the first replacement toner cartridge after 5000 or more pages. I also have a much mroe expensive color photo quality printer but use the little laser almost exclusively, except for photos. I took a fast look and it seems all inclusives run about a $100 and cheap ones down to $39. on their site.

lthenderson

Post by lthenderson » Sun Oct 30, 2016 2:11 pm

I have a Canon ImageClass 4890 that I bought a handful of years and I love it. It is lazer so only prints black ink. Has one cartridge that generally lasts me more than a year. It works wirelessly but can connect up to a phone line or hardline to other computers. I don't use the fax portion of it but do use the copier portion from time to time. I also like it because it accepts nearly a ream of paper at a time so I'm not refilling that very often either.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:24 pm

I'm fond of my Brother HL-L2380DW laser - cost me $100 (BestBuy). Supports Google cloud print from my Android tablet(s), Apple airprint, networked printing from my Windows desktop, standalone B&W copying, & color scans. Generic toner cartridges are cheap & work well.

Few complaints, other than the current draw at wakeup - lights on the same circuit dim; UPS kicks in to keep the computer sane...
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:32 pm

If you give us a better idea of your standard usage, we can give you better recommendations more suited for you.

How much printing are you doing, i.e. ballpark how many pages a month?

What kind of scanning/copying do you do? Do you just scan a page here and there or are you regularly scanning stacks of papers and/or receipts?

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:35 pm

Sconie wrote:I've had the best luck with Brother machines-----inexpensive to buy, inexpensive cartridges, simple to operate----and when it no longer works, throw it out and buy another.
+1 for Brother B&W laser printers. Cartridges generally <$25. Not having to deal with ink jet cartridges is really a luxury.

Blueskies123

Post by Blueskies123 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:49 pm

I went with Brother because of the cheaper ink and that I can find low cost generic. Canon and HP have ripped me off for hundreds of dollars in ink. The Brother is a little slower and a little less sharp but it is good enough.

Wricha

Post by Wricha » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:56 pm

I have always bought HP's . When they made me replace color ink to print black/white I stop with HP. Bought a Brother works great no hassles with ink cartridges. So anything other than HP

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:32 pm

Would scanning and then printing count as "copier" for you, or do you want to be able to feed the paper in and be done with it?

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:34 pm

You want a lot of things for under 100 bucks, not sure that exists. All printers will come with color ink, just don't replace it whenever it runs out, not really a difficult one.

I have an Epson WF-3540 from Costco that was around $125 and works like a champ, has all the things you need, wireless/network printing etc. Was highly rated on Amazon (even if you don't buy something from Amazon, always search the site for reviews). And the ink cartridges are separate so you can just swap in/out the black as needed. Epson used to have B+W only printers but I doubt those exist anymore unless you can find a used business class B+W printer.

Have had good experiences with Brother brand in the past as well.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:38 pm

gunn_show wrote:You want a lot of things for under 100 bucks, not sure that exists. All printers will come with color ink, just don't replace it whenever it runs out, not really a difficult one.
The all-in-ones I've used have refused to do the other functions including scanning if even one cartridge was empty. :annoyed

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:42 pm

sawhorse wrote:
gunn_show wrote:You want a lot of things for under 100 bucks, not sure that exists. All printers will come with color ink, just don't replace it whenever it runs out, not really a difficult one.
The all-in-ones I've used have refused to do the other functions including scanning if even one cartridge was empty. :annoyed
Really? That would be pretty janky if so. Although, in case of OP, I imagine if he truly never needs color ink, his color ink cartridges would stay somewhat full and not be an issue.
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:14 pm

gunn_show wrote:
sawhorse wrote:
Really? That would be pretty janky if so. Although, in case of OP, I imagine if he truly never needs color ink, his color ink cartridges would stay somewhat full and not be an issue.
They might be full, but then they're dry, and it won't work :annoyed

I've experienced this with Epson and Kodak, and I have a feeling they're not the only ones.

This is a supposed workaround for scanning. I can't vouch for it. It's from 2013.

https://consumerist.com/2013/01/24/if-y ... ne-at-all/

At least some Brother models seem to be able to print black and white for 4 weeks (why the limit?) when the color cartridge is empty or dry.

http://www.brother-usa.com/FAQs/SC_Solu ... ategory=Op

Loik098

Post by Loik098 » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:33 am

On a related note, Black Friday is now less than a month away. To address others' concerns about finding all that you want for less than $100, it might (or might not) be worth it to wait until then to see if you can get more for your money.

Peculiar_Investor

Post by Peculiar_Investor » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:56 am

I've had a Canon MF4150 multi-function for many years and have been very happy with it. If/when it needs to be replaced, I wouldn't hesitate to purchase another Canon multi-function. Canon has been good in providing driver updates for new OS versions. I had a previous HP LaserJet that, while completely functioning, became obsolete due to an OS upgrade and no updated driver support from HP. That soured me on HP printers.
Normal people… believe that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. Engineers believe that if it ain’t broke, it doesn’t have enough features yet. – Scott Adams