Passport renewal - old passport

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
michaeljc70

Passport renewal - old passport

Post by michaeljc70 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:49 pm

I sent my passport in for renewal via mail and received the new one surprisingly fast (12 days). I did not get back my old passport though. Last time I did it via mail, I got the old one back with a hole punched in it. Does it come separately?

I have a visa for Argentina in the old passport I was going to use next month. Not sure if it being in the old passport matters (wouldn't think so). It was 10 year visa.

sandramjet

Re: Passport renewal - old passport

Post by sandramjet » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:58 pm

Typically the old one comes back, but separately

LAguy818

Post by LAguy818 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 9:59 pm

Your old passport will be returned in a separate (slower) mailing. The new passport is sent via Priority Mail and the old one is returned via First Class.

edit: Corrected typo

jane1

Post by jane1 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 10:03 pm

Old passport will come separately.
Visa on old passport should be valid. Most countries are good with it.

oneleaf

Post by oneleaf » Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:01 am

Funny, I just got my passport back today, as well. According to the instructions, the old one should be mailed separately.

TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke » Sun Oct 30, 2016 5:13 am

It has been almost ten years so this may have changed but my old passport came back with "Cancelled" all over it, your Argentine visa is likely a goner.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells

bpp

Post by bpp » Sun Oct 30, 2016 7:43 am

TheGreyingDuke wrote:It has been almost ten years so this may have changed but my old passport came back with "Cancelled" all over it, your Argentine visa is likely a goner.

Countries deal with transferring visas from old, cancelled passports to new ones all the time. Argentina might be an exception, but I wouldn't assume it is.

More Please

Post by More Please » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:55 am

[url][/http://argentinafees.com/
I would check the latest info on the website. We were there last year and needed the visa paper, things may have changed. We are going next Wednesday and will see if they check for a visa. Will let you know.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:58 am

michaeljc70 wrote:I sent my passport in for renewal via mail and received the new one surprisingly fast (12 days). I did not get back my old passport though. Last time I did it via mail, I got the old one back with a hole punched in it. Does it come separately?

I have a visa for Argentina in the old passport I was going to use next month. Not sure if it being in the old passport matters (wouldn't think so). It was 10 year visa.

It would matter as countries you are entering want to see a passport that is currently valid. They may, or may not, have accepted a Visa in an expired passport. It is not something I would risk as being denied boarding to a flight will cost you.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:07 pm

More Please wrote:[url][/http://argentinafees.com/
I would check the latest info on the website. We were there last year and needed the visa paper, things may have changed. We are going next Wednesday and will see if they check for a visa. Will let you know.

Interesting. I looked at the State Dept website and it appears you no longer need it.

It is frustrating that some of these countries make it so difficult. You would think they would want the tourism. I have to get another Brazil visa. The process is a joke. It is like going to a DMV in the Congo. It is around $160. I am going on a cruise. $50 a day for the visa.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:17 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:

Interesting. I looked at the State Dept website and it appears you no longer need it.

It is frustrating that some of these countries make it so difficult. You would think they would want the tourism. I have to get another Brazil visa. The process is a joke. It is like going to a DMV in the Congo. It is around $160. I am going on a cruise. $50 a day for the visa.

Most countries simply treat the US with reciprocity. Brazilians have to go through big hoops and pay big fees to get a US visa so the Brazilian gvt simply imposes the same reciprocal requirements on US travelers. If you talk to passengers from other countries on your cruise I but you'll find the fees and level of hassle are all different and pretty reciprocal to how those countries threat Brazilians.

I've been traveling to Chile on a frequent basis for the past 15 years. There used to be a "reciprocity fee" (That is actually what they called it at the immigration line in Chile) that was exactly equal to the visa fees that the US imposed on Chileans. They would staple a little reciprocity fee receipt in your passport and it was good for the life of the passport. When the fee for Chileans traveling to the US went up, the reciprocity fee went up on US travelers to Chile. On the day that the US dropped the Visa requirement for Chilean travelers to the US and let Chile join the visa waiver program that European travelers use the Chileans dropped their "reciprocity fee" for US travelers entering Chile. It was the very same day.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:24 pm

texasdiver wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

Most countries simply treat the US with reciprocity. Brazilians have to go through big hoops and pay big fees to get a US visa so the Brazilian gvt simply imposes the same reciprocal requirements on US travelers. If you talk to passengers from other countries on your cruise I but you'll find the fees and level of hassle are all different and pretty reciprocal to how those countries threat Brazilians.

I've been traveling to Chile on a frequent basis for the past 15 years. There used to be a "reciprocity fee" (That is actually what they called it at the immigration line in Chile) that was exactly equal to the visa fees that the US imposed on Chileans. They would staple a little reciprocity fee receipt in your passport and it was good for the life of the passport. When the fee for Chileans traveling to the US went up, the reciprocity fee went up on US travelers to Chile. On the day that the US dropped the Visa requirement for Chilean travelers to the US and let Chile join the visa waiver program that European travelers use the Chileans dropped their "reciprocity fee" for US travelers entering Chile. It was the very same day.

I understand the "logic". However, how many Americans have gone to Brazil and never come back? How many Brazilians can afford to come to the US vs Americans to Brazil? It is not really comparable and a silly they did this so we are doing that which harms their economy.
Last edited by michaeljc70 on Sun Oct 30, 2016 1:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 30, 2016 12:42 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:

The process would have to improve to be a joke. My wife is on a Thai Passport with Permanent US Resident (Green) Card and we need Visas for her to go almost everywhere. I wrote to the Colombian Consulate in Miami about a Visa in May and they wrote back last week. The Greek Consulate in Tampa doesn't answer the phone and doesn't respond to emails... neither does the Nicaraguan Consulate in Miami. OTOH, some Consulates are very responsive such as the German, Italian and Israeli Consulates in Miami all have everything organized and respond promptly.

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:56 pm

texasdiver wrote:Most countries simply treat the US with reciprocity.

This is not true. It may be true for Chile, but certainly not for most countries. Most countries in the world do not require U.S. citizens to have a visa to visit, whereas the U.S. requires visitors from most other countries to have a visa to visit the U.S. Some countries (mostly in Europe) are part of the visa waiver program, but they are the exception. That is not reciprocity.

I know from personal experience that a U.S. citizen can visit most (if not all) countries in the Caribbean without a visa, and yet the U.S. requires people from most countries in the Caribbean to have a visa to enter the U.S. The same is true for Mexico... a U.S. citizen can visit Mexico without a visa, but a Mexican citizen generally needs a visa to visit the U.S. That is not reciprocity. The same non-reciprocal relationship is true for some (most?) countries in South America (with Brazil being a notable exception).
I eat risk for breakfast. :)

SailingAway

Post by SailingAway » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:59 pm

It varies widely depending on where you are visiting. We have spent the majority of our time in French Polynesia the last 3 years and both my wife and I renewed our passports in that time. Our old passports were returned by separate mail with holes punched in them. But, we have to carry both passports with us back forth because our visa sticker, from when we originally sailed to FP is in our old passports.

After speaking to them, they don't really have a process for changing it to the new ones. You only get one initial entry sticker.

They just tell us to carry both of them......so we do.

SRenaeP

Post by SRenaeP » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:07 am

michaeljc70 wrote:

Double-check (if you haven't already) that you actually need a visa for Brazil. They temporarily waived the visa requirement for Americans this year in order to encourage people to come over for the Olympics. There was talk of extending the waiver and/or making it permanent.

-Steph

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 8:42 am

SRenaeP wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

Double-check (if you haven't already) that you actually need a visa for Brazil. They temporarily waived the visa requirement for Americans this year in order to encourage people to come over for the Olympics. There was talk of extending the waiver and/or making it permanent.

-Steph

Unfortunately that ended in September.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:26 am

michaeljc70 wrote:

Argentina waived the reciprocity fee earlier this year and the waiver is still in effect. They haven't required a tourism visa (90 days) for a while, but I believe you still need a visa if you are going for other purposes.

The Argentine consulate will have the exact requirements on their website.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:42 am

whatusername? wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

Argentina waived the reciprocity fee earlier this year and the waiver is still in effect. They haven't required a tourism visa (90 days) for a while, but I believe you still need a visa if you are going for other purposes.

When I went in February of this year, you needed one. It looks like it changed in March. That is when Brazil temporarily dropped their visa requirement. I doubt it was coincidence- they didn't want everyone going to Brazil (which had the olympics and probably affected Argentinian tourism to begin with).

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:52 am

michaeljc70 wrote:
whatusername? wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

When I went in February of this year, you needed one. It looks like it changed in March. That is when Brazil temporarily dropped their visa requirement. I doubt it was coincidence- they didn't want everyone going to Brazil (which had the olympics and probably affected Argentinian tourism to begin with).

My understanding is that Argentina wants into the U.S. Visa Waiver program, and dropped the reciprocity fee as a gesture in those negotiations. Brazil waived the requirement for the Olympics, just as they did for the World Cup.

At any rate, paying the fee is much different than a visa. Paying the funds over the internet and keeping the receipt is a lot easier than, say, getting a Brazilian or Chinese visa where you have to send off your passport to the consulate, answer 101 questions about yourself and your family, get additional photos taken, be required to submit documents that can include bank statements, and, in some cases, require an in-person interview at the nearest consulate. If you're an Australian or Canadian citizen, the reciprocity fee is still required.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:32 am

michaeljc70 wrote:

How about turning the mirror around and looking at the US from their perspective? For example, I go to Germany and Austria often for work. When I need to go, I bring my passport and show up. Nothing else. Their customs ask me why I am coming to their country, I say work, and they let me in.

When my German and Austrian counterparts come to see me in the US, they have to have their ESTA completed in advance. They are limited to how many days they can spend in the US on ESTA, so more than one of my foreign coworkers has had to go through the ridiculous process of a work visa. It's INSANE.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:40 am

j0nnyg1984 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

How about turning the mirror around and looking at the US from their perspective? For example, I go to Germany and Austria often for work. When I need to go, I bring my passport and show up. Nothing else. Their customs ask me why I am coming to their country, I say work, and they let me in.

When my German and Austrian counterparts come to see me in the US, they have to have their ESTA completed in advance. They are limited to how many days they can spend in the US on ESTA, so more than one of my foreign coworkers has had to go through the ridiculous process of a work visa. It's INSANE.

I don't think an ESTA is insane. It asks pretty basic questions. It was implemented after 9/11 for security reasons. I have to be scanned/patted down to travel within the US and I am a citizen.

j0nnyg1984

Post by j0nnyg1984 » Mon Oct 31, 2016 1:17 pm

michaeljc70 wrote:
j0nnyg1984 wrote:
michaeljc70 wrote:

I don't think an ESTA is insane. It asks pretty basic questions. It was implemented after 9/11 for security reasons. I have to be scanned/patted down to travel within the US and I am a citizen.

You also completely missed the point of my post. When I fly to germany, i book my flight, go to the airport, get on the plane, get off the plane, and walk into germany. I literally have to do no forms, no paperwork.