Amazon Prime Pantry

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flossy21

Amazon Prime Pantry

Post by flossy21 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:45 am

I wanted to share my experience with Amazon Prime Pantry. My wife took advantage of a coupon to save $10 or something like that on Amazon Prime Pantry. We already have the Amazon credit card which saves 5% per order as well. She ordered a bunch of things. Mostly cleaners, soaps, dishwasher detergent and the like but she also ordered some dry goods like Kind bars, bag of chips, snack olives, etc.

The big box arrived yesterday. It was about 3 ft long x 2 ft high x 2 ft deep and fairly heavy. The box looked a bit beaten up as well. Once opened we discovered that most things had come through OK but one of the bags of chips had busted open and spilled in the container. She notified Amazon and they are issuing a refund for that item.

Does anyone else have experience with Amazon Prime Pantry? I imagine we will continue to use it for the convenience and lower prices but we will probably steer clear of things like bags of chips.

hardrain

Re: Amazon Prime Pantry

Post by hardrain » Fri Oct 28, 2016 9:24 am

There's probably a UX that will eventually make an online grocery shop replacement easy for the mainstream but amazon ain't it right now imo. I also have ordered (and granted, this is a couple of years ago now) semi-perishable things that were way, way expired, stale, ect.

I've used it sporadically for bulk non-perishables similar to you (dog food, soap, ect), but for things like chips, ect., I'm at the grocery anyway so it's certainly not a big deal to go to the chip aisle, plus I can take advantage of a little "discovery" as the kids call it these days.

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:14 am

I would be all over prime pantry if they had produce/fresh foods. They only seem to offer things with long shelf lives. My price comparison says it's cheaper to get these at the store, and since I need to buy meat, fruit and veggies and the store anyways...
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.

rob

Post by rob » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:22 am

I've thought about it but with the delivery tracking been as poor as it is now, I'm just not interested. I cannot track most shipments from Amazon now and a lot don't arrive when they "promise", so perishable stuff is too much of a risk IMO.
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

southbay

Post by southbay » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:33 am

I have used it many times with no problems at all.

Elemental

Post by Elemental » Fri Oct 28, 2016 10:38 am

I have used it with some success. It takes a while to "fill up" the box while shopping. I find I also have to substitute different brands for some things (different soap, mouthwash, whatever) in order to get free shipping. I like the instant coupons, no sales tax applied, and free shipping once you get there though. I realize I have to pay my state's use tax for that. If I had the 5% credit card, that would help too. For now, I mostly stick to subscribe and save, and do my shopping at the grocery store.

PaddyMac

Post by PaddyMac » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:12 am

I've used it a couple of times but there are two problems with it (for me at least):
- the selection is very limited: I can find almost everything I need in the regular Amazon at good prices, and use it to buy lots of gluten-free flour especially. Those items ship Amazon Prime for free. In the pantry, I can't even find them.
- the box is too big: even though I keep getting $6 off coupons (which covers shipping), I can't come close to filling a box due to the limited selection.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Fri Oct 28, 2016 2:07 pm

I used it once to buy an entire pantry box full of laundry detergent because I disliked Costco's laundry detergent packaging.

I didn't repeat the purchase because I learned to live with Costco's laundry detergent packaging. :) Most non-perishable items that are available on Pantry I'd rather buy at Costco since I'm there anyway.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:21 pm

I used it once because I had a free shipping credit, but the prices are no better than buying stuff on sale. It was nice not to have to carry everything home but I don't have a lot of room for storage.

I have used a different service (Fresh Direct) for groceries in the past but I prefer choosing my own fruits and vegetables.

I also used Jet.com once because they gave me a substantial credit on the order. The website was frustrating to use and the order was delivered in many shipments over a period of several weeks. It wasn't worth the hassle to me.

Katietsu

Post by Katietsu » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:46 pm

I have not filled my Prime pantry box yet. But I will say that I am careful what combination of items I order with regular Amazon. In particular, I frequently order cases of canned goods. I make sure that I do not order something delicate to be delivered the same day.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:47 pm

As a Prime member, Amazon usually offers me $5 off a Pantry shipment if I order something cheap and opt for slower shipment. I briefly looked into it and wasn't interested. In the past they offered $1 off digital media purchases (music, videos); I chose that quite regularly but haven't seen it for a while. So now it's back to 2-day expensive-for-Amazon shipping for me even if I would otherwise settle for slower shipping.

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:53 pm

We order everything on Amazon, including Amazon Fresh. Occasionally, we have problems but the customer service is always effortless to get a refund.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Fri Oct 28, 2016 4:57 pm

Why would I unless I had no choice? I want to see the produce. I want to check the expiration dates on almost everything else. I often want to buy the cheaper store brand that is as good as the name brand. And from what I have seen the prices are not that good.

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:12 pm

soboggled wrote:Why would I unless I had no choice? I want to see the produce. I want to check the expiration dates on almost everything else. I often want to buy the cheaper store brand that is as good as the name brand. And from what I have seen the prices are not that good.
Yes, and how would you know what the store prices are once you have been conditioned to just throw stuff into the Prime pantry?

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:20 pm

TravelGeek wrote:
soboggled wrote:Why would I unless I had no choice? I want to see the produce. I want to check the expiration dates on almost everything else. I often want to buy the cheaper store brand that is as good as the name brand. And from what I have seen the prices are not that good.
Yes, and how would you know what the store prices are once you have been conditioned to just throw stuff into the Prime pantry?
What will they think of next? Price? Who cares. Biggest scam of them all:
https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Buttons/b?i ... 0667898011

pshonore

Post by pshonore » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:50 pm

soboggled wrote:
TravelGeek wrote:
What will they think of next? Price? Who cares. Biggest scam of them all:
I followed your link and got a good laugh. One of the dashboard items is something men use that is sold in drugstores. When I was young it was behind the counter and you had to ask for it (with great embarrassment). Just think of the movie "The Summer of 42". Now you can just push a button on the web.

Oh, to be young again.

kjvmartin

Post by kjvmartin » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:00 pm

I like Amazon, but generally ignore Prime Pantry after thoroughly checking it out.

I have to go to Kroger/Costco anyway for my milk, meat, and produce. I just grab the other basics while I'm there. I get very disappointed when I'm looking for an odd/one off item on Amazon and it's labeled "Prime Pantry." That means I have to pay like $5.50 shipping for that one item, unless I have a credit on hand from slow-mo shipping speed.

kew

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Oct 28, 2016 7:44 pm

Everything they sell is satisfaction guaranteed - only 1 item I've had an issue on so far with a year+ of ordering everything from them. When I said the fish wasn't satisfactory, they refunded the purchase + gave me a $35 credit.

They also sent us one of the proper dash devices, which uses bar codes and very accurate voice recognition to add things to your cart. You manually check out when you're ready. https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-All-New-D ... le_grocery

I paid $0.99 for a bunch of organic bananas (about 7 or 8) today vs $5 to $7 locally - most items are at least $1 to $2 lower vs the local supermarkets. So I save money, time and very rarely have to let them know there is a problem (just via email) and get even more money for it.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Oct 28, 2016 8:21 pm

soboggled wrote:What will they think of next? Price? Who cares. Biggest scam of them all:
I followed the link too and laughed when I saw you could buy Amazon gift cards near the top of the list!

Who would have thought...I can buy a gift card now so in the future I can go to amazon.com and buy something I need. :D

TravelGeek

Post by TravelGeek » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:46 pm

Might have to get the Charmin button and install it in the guest bathroom. They are hackable, so instead of ordering from Amazon, I could make it ring an alarm bell in the kitchen.

Didn't know you could order bananas (or other perishables) via the Prime Pantry. Or was that via Amazon Fresh?

rob

Post by rob » Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:55 pm

pshonore wrote:I followed your link and got a good laugh. One of the dashboard items is something men use that is sold in drugstores. When I was young it was behind the counter and you had to ask for it (with great embarrassment). Just think of the movie "The Summer of 42". Now you can just push a button on the web.

Oh, to be young again.
NOW I see the point of instant drone delivery..... I thought it was a folly by a company with too much cash but now I have to take that back 8-)
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Mrs.Feeley

Post by Mrs.Feeley » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:10 am

As a Prime subscriber I occasionally get a $5.99 Prime Pantry credit. I pair that with the monthly code for free shipping if you buy five items from a selected list. I make a game of it and see how much food I can get for under $10. Otherwise I haven't found much purpose for Prime Pantry as it's mostly boxed food and it can usually be purchased far more cheaply at a local grocery store.

blueman457

Post by blueman457 » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:11 am

I use prime pantry several times a year, no major issues here.

mouses

Post by mouses » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:38 am

celia wrote:
soboggled wrote:What will they think of next? Price? Who cares. Biggest scam of them all:
I followed the link too and laughed when I saw you could buy Amazon gift cards near the top of the list!

Who would have thought...I can buy a gift card now so in the future I can go to amazon.com and buy something I need. :D
I think the theory is you give the gift card to someone else. Our local humane shelter has gift cards to various pet stores, amazon, lowes, etc, on its wish list,