Family Calendar

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
mw1739

Family Calendar

Post by mw1739 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:55 pm

I'm looking for ideas on how to keep track of our family's activities. My wife is old school and uses a paper calendar for her and the kids, but my appointments, work schedule etc. are all in Outlook. We both realize the need to keep track of things better, but we're unsure of where to start. Can anyone share how their family keeps track of activities, appointments, etc.?

We're iPhone people and have separate email addresses and iCloud accounts, if that makes a difference.

barnaclebob

Re: Family Calendar

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:06 pm

We use google calendar. its really easy to forward notices to others and you can even send notices to anyone with a gmail account and they will get the same reminder as you. Handy when you need someone to pick you up at the airport...

runner9

Post by runner9 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:07 pm

Wife and I both use calendar that came on iphones, with family account they sync events to both phones.

coalcracker

Post by coalcracker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:12 pm

We use google calendar and sync it to our iPhone calendars. We have separate, color coded calendars for each of our jobs, family/social events, birthdays, kid/dog stuff. My work calendar populates google calendar automatically, which is fantastic.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:16 pm

How we do it:
1. Buy a big calendar.
2. Hang it in the kitchen.
3. Write stuff in it.

secretlysaving

Post by secretlysaving » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:25 pm

We use Cozi. It's an app. Everyone gets a color and you can cross calendar information so that busy families all know where everyone is. You can set reminders and schedule things to repeat etc. It also has grocery lists, journals etc so that you can share so that if your spouse is at home they can add to the grocery list and if your high schooler is at the store, they know what to get. I love it and the basic version (that I use) is free!

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:27 pm

Grocery list? That's another piece of paper. In the kitchen where people are required to check if its already in stock.
(I guess I could get an app that tracks the inventory of food too.)
Last edited by soboggled on Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:30 pm

secretlysaving wrote:We use Cozi. It's an app. Everyone gets a color and you can cross calendar information so that busy families all know where everyone is. You can set reminders and schedule things to repeat etc. It also has grocery lists, journals etc so that you can share so that if your spouse is at home they can add to the grocery list and if your high schooler is at the store, they know what to get. I love it and the basic version (that I use) is free!
This sounds like the kind of solution I'm looking for. Does anyone use something similar?

an_asker

Post by an_asker » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:28 pm

secretlysaving wrote:We use Cozi. It's an app. Everyone gets a color and you can cross calendar information so that busy families all know where everyone is. You can set reminders and schedule things to repeat etc. It also has grocery lists, journals etc so that you can share so that if your spouse is at home they can add to the grocery list and if your high schooler is at the store, they know what to get. I love it and the basic version (that I use) is free!
+1! Though I couldn't get family on the same page, so we're not really using it :-(

rcjchicity

Post by rcjchicity » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:43 pm

All of our devices are iPhones and iPads so we use the iCal app. We use a shared calendars for family activities/kid's appointments, etc. and other shared calendars for work schedules

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Oct 26, 2016 3:51 pm

I use Google calendar because I have a mix of personal and non-personal activities and I can keep them separate. My spouse uses a paper calendar. If I arrange something that involves both of us I just write it on the calendar which is on the wall in the kitchen.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

czeckers

Post by czeckers » Wed Oct 26, 2016 4:18 pm

Google calendar!

You can create multiple calendars so each person has their own calendar and color. Also calendars for time off work, call, doctor appointments etc. Using Google is nice because it syncs across all platforms so anyone in the family can see it on their computer, phones, tablets, etc. You can also set alarms to go off at a specified time before an event/appointment.

I believe Google can also sync with Exchange.

-K
The Espresso portfolio: | | 16% LCV, 16% SCV, 16% EM, 8% Int'l Value, 8% Int'l Sm, 8% US REIT, 8% Int'l REIT, 20% Inter-term US Treas | | "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."

Carson

Post by Carson » Wed Oct 26, 2016 7:08 pm

czeckers wrote: can also sync with Exchange.

-K
Yes you can! Google calendar is great. Dh and I have a family calendar initiated in Google. It syncs to both our iPhones and my work Outlook on PC. My iPhone has the Google calendar and my work calendar overlaid. There have been a lot less scheduling conflict this way. We are not huge on the color code thing but use it sometimes.

I like the new 'travel time' feature that sets your appointment and shows a little buffer.

For family lists we use 'anylist' and have shared grocery and to do lists
30-something personal finance enthusiast, just get getting started on this whole portfolio thing.

aqan

Post by aqan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:09 pm

if you are iPhone people and you have created a Family group, you probably already have a Family calendar shared between all of you. (Sorry, don't remember if I had to create one or it was created by default when setting up the Family).
I've set Family calendar as default for wife and myself. all events created by Siri go straight to family calendar and are shared between us. made life super easy.

22twain

Post by 22twain » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:30 am

soboggled wrote:How we do it:
1. Buy a big calendar.
2. Hang it in the kitchen.
3. Write stuff in it.
+1
My investing princiPLEs do not include absolutely preserving princiPAL.

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:36 am

Google calendar should work.

You have to decide whether or not you want the family events in Outlook.

One option is to have the owner of a Google calendar initiate a calendar entry and invite everyone to the event (including you via your Outlook address). This works in reverse as well, you can invite the Google calendar user to an event via Outlook. If you have concerns about privacy, you can make the event private and restrict the access for those who can read your calendar. However, understand that the invite will be on company servers and you should assume that if IT wanted to get access to the content of the entry they may be able to do so.

Another option is to create a family Google account with a calendar that everyone can access. Then you need to check your Outlook and Google calendars separately.

A third option, if you are an iOS user, add as many calendars (Outlook and Google) as you like to your device(s) and all the entries will show. This works pretty well for us. I can't go into Outlook and see everything but I can see it all via iPhone and iPad.

There are many other configurations as well. We've used the above options at various times to varying degrees of success. I recommend the first or third options.

dcabler

Post by dcabler » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:42 am

We've been using Cozi.

pondering

Post by pondering » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:09 am

I've been taking photos of each event on the family calendar and storing them on an app called Utiful on the iPhone.

I use the built-in app for my own appointments, especially for the ones that have conference call phone numbers.. I found that you can put the entire phone number and access code separated by a semicolon in the notes field, then just need to touch the number to dial and touch the word Dial "?accesscode?" to finish dialing. This is very helpful when driving.
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Bounca

Post by Bounca » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:14 am

We use two methods, both mentioned.

1) Large dry erase white board calendar hanging in kitchen. Its beyond efficient as some or all of us at once are there and can quickly agree and see schedules, conflicts, reminders, etc.

2) When we are all away from each other and remote, then Google calendar comes into play.

Its the perfect combination. I think either one alone wouldn't be nearly efficient as the combination.

mw1739

Post by mw1739 » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:27 am

Bounca wrote:We use two methods, both mentioned.

1) Large dry erase white board calendar hanging in kitchen. Its beyond efficient as some or all of us at once are there and can quickly agree and see schedules, conflicts, reminders, etc.

2) When we are all away from each other and remote, then Google calendar comes into play.

Its the perfect combination. I think either one alone wouldn't be nearly efficient as the combination.
Thanks, I think we will end up with some combination of the above. I travel often for work, so the physical calendar is not helpful for me. We also run into the issue of the calendar only showing one month at a time. There's times when we need to see 2-3 months out and it becomes difficult.