Clothes Dryer - Thermal Fuse

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
RMO87

Clothes Dryer - Thermal Fuse

Post by RMO87 »

The heat went out in our electric clothes dryer. A multimeter has confirmed that the thermal fuse is bad. I purchased a replacement fuse (which has the same number, 3392519, as OEM, and Amazon says fits my dryer model); however, it does not completely cover the hole on the dryer duct. The original was oval and maybe an inch wide, while this new one is more rectangular and about a half inch wide. Do you think using this new one will work?

Thanks in advance,
Ryan
CaliJim

Re: Clothes Dryer - Thermal Fuse

Post by CaliJim »

Yes...but block the hole with a sheet metal patch or 3M High Temperature Flue Tape (without shorting out the contacts and wires)

The purpose of the switch is to interrupt the current if the duct overheats (ie. as happens when you forget to clean your lint trap)

And note - I'm just a random guy on the internet - and no expert - but that's what I'd do.
-calijim- | | For more info, click this Wiki
mjf55

Re: Clothes Dryer - Thermal Fuse

Post by mjf55 »

Return it. I just read some reviewsmof the amazon part and others complain of the wrong size.
I use Repair Clinic http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/ ... 92519/2986.

Also, It blew for a reason. Make sure you have a clean vent and air passages.

Edit:. I just read in your other thread that the old part is oval vs square. Is there a part number stamped on the old part? Verify the part with repairclinic.com You may also call the dryer manufacturer and see what's going on.