New couch? Please advise.

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
CMLAW1

New couch? Please advise.

Post by CMLAW1 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:19 pm

Wife and I are moving into our new home and our old furniture does not fit. Thus, we have spent 3-4 months looking for a new couch. The process has been somewhat frustrating in the sense that we have not been able to find the perfect one in the sense of size, comfort and price. We were looking for a sectional roughly about 90" width and 130" length to optimize seating and space in our somewhat narrow living room.

We finally found one today at Raymour and Flanagan during their friends and family sale. Here is the link to the couch we are looking to purchase: http://www.raymourflanigan.com/product.aspx?zpid=29306

Please note we would only be getting 4 of the pieces for the perfect fit. The couch wih tax and delivery is ~$2390.

My questions for the forum are as follows:
1.) Does anyone have any experience with electronic recliners? Do they last?

2.) Does anyone have any experience with Raymour and Flanagan in terms of quality for the money?

3.) Should I purchase the protection plan they offer for $200 extra? It covers 5 years everything besides wear and tear.

4.) Am I missing the boat on couches? I have been to Macys, Bobs, Ethan Allen, Pottery Barn, Ashley, and some independent stores. 'Some of the places I have visited are too expensive and other ones seem cheaply made and have bad reviews. Where should I be looking?

5.) Should I buy the couch?

What do we think Bogleheads?

dbltrbl

Re: New couch? Please advise.

Post by dbltrbl » Sun Oct 23, 2016 4:52 pm

How frequently you change couches? You will pay for good quality furniture as you will not visit them for 10 years or more so they are making lot of money on you now. Visit Value city if you have it in your neighborhood. They are at low end. Also, look at Costco as they do have excellent quality furniture online and free delivery. :D

fmzip

Post by fmzip » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:49 pm

What I do is go to the high end home stores then I get the model numbers and order everything online through Hickory Park Furniture Galleries in High Point NC.

Same deal, it gets delivered for much cheaper!

harrychan

Post by harrychan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:09 pm

We rarely if ever go super low cost for furniture. We used to go the ikea route and no furniture from that box store has lasted over 3 years. Our king bed we lucked out with a gamble on overstock.com. Our kids bed we got through a local shop and they are very sturdy. If you don't have young kids around the house, I would skip on the extended warranty. Personally,I prefer leather. It sounds like you did your homework. $2300 for a sectional sounds about right. I would pull the trigger.
This is not legal or certified financial advice but you know that already.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:36 pm

Before we bought our leather sectional last year, I spent a lot of time on the myfurnitureforum.com. Duane Collie, who has a retail store in Virginia and is a dealer for Hancock & Moore, runs the forum. He provides lots of information on quality furniture. I admit that after learning more, we bought Hancock & Moore. We have been really happy.

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Sun Oct 23, 2016 7:41 pm

If you are looking for an all-upholstery sofa or chair, you might be surprised that you can have one custom-made locally for less than they cost on sale at a furniture store. Some upholsterers do it routinely.

JI0124

Post by JI0124 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:02 pm

Furniture shopping is one of our least favorite pastimes. Seems that we can never find the balance of style, comfort, value either - even taking cost out of the equation it always seems very difficult to find what we are looking for.

That said, we have found that Costco sells high quality furniture, and it's kind of nice that choices are limited as there aren't as many options to choose from compared to furniture retailers. We have been happy with the pieces that we've purchased from Costco.

daveatca

Re: New couch?

Post by daveatca » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Room & Board
Customize all you want.
Thank me later.

nimo956

Post by nimo956 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:12 pm

For quality couches, look at Hancock and Moore or Bradington Young. I second the user who recommended speaking with Duane Collie and checking out the furniture forum.
50% VTI / 50% VXUS

CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:14 am

JI0124 wrote:Furniture shopping is one of our least favorite pastimes. Seems that we can never find the balance of style, comfort, value either - even taking cost out of the equation it always seems very difficult to find what we are looking for.

That said, we have found that Costco sells high quality furniture, and it's kind of nice that choices are limited as there aren't as many options to choose from compared to furniture retailers. We have been happy with the pieces that we've purchased from Costco.

Thanks for the recommendation. I checked Costco out onlin and unfortunately their sectionals would not fit in my living room being that they are too wide.

CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:15 am

daveatca wrote:Room & Board
Customize all you want.
Thank me later.

Room & Board is a solid recommendation that I have received once before. However, they would cost me around 2k extra. 8: it worth shelling out the extra money when I have two young children?

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:00 pm

I question furniture that only has a 1-year limited warranty (which this couch seems to have).
I would look for a couch with at least a 5-year warranty.
Our most recent couch we bought from Arhaus - it has a lifetime warranty. After a few years we did have a problem and they fixed it for free. Arhaus is pricey so I'm not necessarily recommending them but with kids - I'd hat to spend over $2K on a couch that comes with only a 1-year warranty on defects.

lesstjm

Post by lesstjm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:12 pm

I just bought a couch at Raymour and Flannigan after a long time looking. I have kids that are rough on the furnitue. I went the cheap route wth Value City before and it did not last three years. My friends have had a good experience with Raymour and Flanigan and their furniture seems to be holding up well with their kids.

One thing we did that you could try is that we picked out what we liked and got a price. Then we went to another Raymour and Flanigan and picked out the same thing and we were able to get it $200 cheaper. It all depend on how friendly the store manager is. Just don't tell them that you already got a price from another store.

btenny

Post by btenny » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:25 pm

We bought two new recliner couches last year. Ours are electric two way adjustable. The foot rest extends and the back leans back all in one motion. This means you have to partially recline to have your foot rest extended. If we could buy again we would go with the newer power designs that have 4 way adjustable stuff. These extend the foot rest with one set of buttons and the back rest with a second set.

I also hated the couch buying thing. It is tough. We compromised on looks versus comfort. I like easy chairs and my wife likes couches. They set radically different. I bet many people have similar issues.

Good Luck.

jrhampt

Post by jrhampt » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:40 pm

We also just bought a sectional sofa at Raymour and Flannigan after looking at most of the stores you mentioned: Macy's, Ashley, Bob's, Pottery Barn, JC Penney's, Costco. We might have gone with Costco except that by the time we were ready to buy, the in-store couches had been replaced with Christmas decorations, and I find it difficult to purchase a couch online without being able to see it in person. We liked the wide selection at Raymour and Flannigan best out of all the stores we visited, and felt the furniture was higher quality compared to Bob's and Ashley. We took advantage of the Columbus Day weekend sales and the store manager gave us an additional discount, which helped; we elected not to purchase the protection plan since it's just the two of us with no kids or dogs. The quick delivery time was also nice - it arrived within 4 days of purchase. I can't speak to longevity since it's only been a couple of weeks so far, but the price seems reasonable to me for what you are getting.

slowbutsteady

Post by slowbutsteady » Mon Oct 24, 2016 12:48 pm

No experience with electronic recliners.

But we've always used Raymour and Flanagan for our non-Ikea needs. R&F's furniture hold up well for most of our needs. A sofa - 15 years in and now is the basement. A modern leather seating set - 6 years thus far - but in lightly used area of home (formal sitting room). And a 9-year old traditional set in the family room - which we will transfer to basement and replace soon. The beds have all held up quite well.

Experience with the dining chairs are different. Cracked faux leather after 5 years - replaced all set - but the woods were quite solid. One of the wood chairs of the replacement piece is broken. And yes, the lovely wood of the accent with the traditional family room's set also gave way 6 years in.

All said, we will use R&F again. For context, we have 4 active kids under 13.
The tortoise wins every time I read that story.

mouses

Post by mouses » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:02 pm

Laugh if you will, I have a La-Z-Boy recliner, not electric and it is fine after several years.

engin33r

Post by engin33r » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:06 pm

fmzip wrote:What I do is go to the high end home stores then I get the model numbers and order everything online through Hickory Park Furniture Galleries in High Point NC.

How do you broach the subject of manufacturer and model number? Do you just point blank ask "What's the model and manufacturer of this item?"

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:06 pm

mouses wrote:Laugh if you will, I have a La-Z-Boy recliner, not electric and it is fine after several years.

Nothing to laugh at - I've heard they hold up. And - La-Z-Boy has a lifetime warranty on many of its products and 5-year on others.

Elsebet

Post by Elsebet » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:58 pm

Although it might not work as well with very detailed specifications, check craigslist. A month ago I found a brand new 4-piece Costco leather living room set that another customer refused. The delivery company bought it from Costco and resold it to me for half the price ($1500). We have a truck so we were able to pick it up ourselves.

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Oct 24, 2016 3:15 pm

Avoid down.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:25 pm

engin33r wrote:
fmzip wrote:What I do is go to the high end home stores then I get the model numbers and order everything online through Hickory Park Furniture Galleries in High Point NC.

How do you broach the subject of manufacturer and model number? Do you just point blank ask "What's the model and manufacturer of this item?"

Pretty much, or the tag with manufacturer part number etc is on the back side of the price. I try to support my local retailers with smaller items but the big ticket purchases, they simply can't compete.

fmzip

Post by fmzip » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:26 pm

mouses wrote:Laugh if you will, I have a La-Z-Boy recliner, not electric and it is fine after several years.

Had a lazy boy couch, held up great for 10 plus years. They make quality stuff for sure!

CMLAW1

Post by CMLAW1 » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:02 pm

I will look at Lazy Boy.

Anyone else? Should I shell out the extra money for Room & Board? Or should I spend 2K less at Raymour and Flanigan?

Should I purchase the warranty?

Any experience with electronic recliners?

mmcmonster

Post by mmcmonster » Tue Oct 25, 2016 6:22 pm

While most Ikea furniture is poorly made, I've had fantastic luck with their leather couches.

They have an unusually large selection, and I've gotten over 18 years of use of a sofabed and love seat that is annoyingly sturdy (It's made at least six moves over that time period.)

That being said, their cloth furniture isn't that great and even the leather isn't the highest quality.

SuzBanyan

Post by SuzBanyan » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:54 am

From what I have read, furniture manufacturers were hit hard by the Great Recession. As a result, many brands downgraded their quality at that time, making comparisons with older products that much more difficult.

Also, any furniture with movable parts will likely have a shorter life span. As a result, if you have to have a recliner, don't buy it as part of a sectional.

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:01 am

CMLAW1 wrote:
daveatca wrote:Room & Board
Customize all you want.
Thank me later.

Room & Board is a solid recommendation that I have received once before. However, they would cost me around 2k extra. 8: it worth shelling out the extra money when I have two young children?

I haven't found them to be worth the price. Not by a long shot.

threebuns

Post by threebuns » Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:19 pm

Finding quality furniture is hard to come by. Even trying to find legit reviews about stuff online is hard. I ended up going with a sectional (Axis) from Crate and Barrel. Yea, it was really expensive, but the style and build quality seemed much better than other places I had looked. Make sure the couch feels strong/solid and the cushions don't feel like they'll go flat anytime soon. They have sales a couple times a year, so you can save a chunk of change on an expensive couch. I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's great. The pillows have some type of foam in them and I've been told it might get a little soft over the years but it can be re-foamed for hundreds of dollars.

bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:36 pm

We have good luck with IMG US.

http://imgcomfort.com/us/collection/

http://imgcomfort.com/us/collection/sofas

Not the most expensive, not low end. There is a huge amount of variety in style to account for. Just tossing out an idea.
"We are here not to please but to provoke thoughtfulness" Unknown Boglehead