Juicer Recommendation?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
SurferLife

Juicer Recommendation?

Post by SurferLife »

We're looking to get a juicer and I was wondering if any folks had any suggestions. I know there's quite a bit of difference when it comes to juicers, and there are different ones depending on what you're planning to juice. I know that we will juice wheat grass occasionally and make baby food, and other than that, just your typical veggies and leafy greens for green juices and such. I've heard that high-speed juicers destroy enzymes and increase oxidation due to the heat that's generated (not sure if that's true), so if that's the case, then a slow-speed juicer might be a better fit for us. I know that the Vitamix blender (which we own-it's great) advertises itself as a juicer, but it's definitely not. We are looking to end up with a high-quality and nutritious juice and price is not an issue. Well, I take that back... I know there is the Norwalk Juicer that sells for $2,000; that's a bit out of our price range, though I'd love to hear from someone if they own one.
Last edited by SurferLife on Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
sdsailing

Re: Juicer Recommendation?

Post by sdsailing »

The biggest thing is that you are throwing away with juicing is the insoluble fiber, which is one of the primary benefits of fruits and vegetables. Most enzymes don't survive the digestive tract and certainly don't end up in your bloodstream, so arguments regarding enzyme destruction are probably mostly related to quackery/pseudoscience.

From a health perspective, I think the best juicer is a blender. Best for your pocketbook, too.
TRC

Post by TRC »

We use the brevel and like it a lot. Bought it from bed, bath & beyond using a 20% off coupon. I like to juice kale, cucumber, celery, apple and carrot.
greenfire

Post by greenfire »

I have 2 juicers, the Brevail which is a centrifugal juicer and the omega is a masticating juicer. The brevail juices much quicker - you can put a whole apple or a bunch of celery in the chute whereas the omega is slower and you have to cut things to fit in a small chute, and feed things like celery one at a time. The brevail doesn't make the juice warm, and I don't worry about loss of nutrients. It is also easier to clean. The one advantage of the omega is that it extracts more juic, especially of greens - there is more waste with the brevail.
t3chiman

Post by t3chiman »

SurferLife wrote:We're looking to get a juicer and I was wondering if any folks had any suggestions. ... wheat grass occasionally and make baby food, and other than that, just your typical veggies and leafy greens for green juices and such.....
Champion juicers: simple and robust mechanism, last forever, get every last bit of liquid from veggies.

Still available new, but old ones are just as good. Might need a new auger or capacitor.

HTH
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Blenders (Vitamix and the like) are not juicers. I have one, I use it to blend or on lower speeds as a food processor.

I have a Breville juicer and I love it. Reasonable price ($100-300 depending on model), easy to use, fast to clean up. Great for hard/medium produce.

The biggest tradeoff between centrifugal and masticating is speed vs. yield. A masticating is slower to use and takes longer to clean but will yield more especially from greens. If you are dead set on juicing wheatgrass you should get a masticating. I used to grow my own wheatgrass and roll it up in a swiss chard leaf to juice it but it still didn't work great. Now I just buy wheatgrass powder and add it to my juice made from a centrifugal juicer.
Last edited by BW1985 on Wed Oct 26, 2016 12:12 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

sdsailing wrote:The biggest thing is that you are throwing away with juicing is the insoluble fiber, which is one of the primary benefits of fruits and vegetables. Most enzymes don't survive the digestive tract and certainly don't end up in your bloodstream, so arguments regarding enzyme destruction are probably mostly related to quackery/pseudoscience.

From a health perspective, I think the best juicer is a blender. Best for your pocketbook, too.
A juicer seperatates the juice from the pulp, a blender blends.

For someone who's diet is lacking in fiber I would agree with you, smoothie is a good option. I tried to make my usual juice in a Vitamix and it turned out horribly, the bulk/cellulose just made it way too thick. I prefer to get my fiber in other ways and make juice instead. YMMV.
Chase the good life my whole life long, look back on my life and my life gone...where did I go wrong?
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

BW1985 wrote:I tried to make my usual juice in a Vitamix and it turned out horribly, the bulk/cellulose just made it way too thick.
Add some more water.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Dutch wrote:
BW1985 wrote:I tried to make my usual juice in a Vitamix and it turned out horribly, the bulk/cellulose just made it way too thick.
Add some more water.
That's what I had to do, add a ton of water to it. Then I bought a juicer.
weltschmerz

Post by weltschmerz »

deleted
Last edited by weltschmerz on Tue Jan 01, 2019 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
malabargold

Post by malabargold »

Norwalk.
Turns out you can get blood out of a stone.
miles monroe

Post by miles monroe »

the problem with juicers is that with all the fiber removed your body is hit with an immediate slug of sugar.

i've had juicers all my life up until the time i bought my first vitamix. a month later the juicer was discarded.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

miles monroe wrote:the problem with juicers is that with all the fiber removed your body is hit with an immediate slug of sugar.
This ^^. I think the advantage of blenders is the fiber is not removed, but even with blenders, doesn't the resulting smoothie result in a spike to the blood sugar?

In my house, we end up adding chocolate syrup or ice cream to make it taste better. Kind of defeats the purpose; but it tastes good. :wink:
I wish I had learned about index funds 25 years ago
TRC

Post by TRC »

JoinToday wrote:
miles monroe wrote:the problem with juicers is that with all the fiber removed your body is hit with an immediate slug of sugar.
This ^^. I think the advantage of blenders is the fiber is not removed, but even with blenders, doesn't the resulting smoothie result in a spike to the blood sugar?

In my house, we end up adding chocolate syrup or ice cream to make it taste better. Kind of defeats the purpose; but it tastes good. :wink:
But the benefit is that it gives your digestive system a break as your body can utilize the nutrients right away without all the fiber. "Fat sick and nearly dead" is a great free documentary you can watch on the benefits of juicing.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

TRC wrote:
JoinToday wrote:

But the benefit is that it gives your digestive system a break as your body can utilize the nutrients right away without all the fiber. "Fat sick and nearly dead" is a great free documentary you can watch on the benefits of juicing.
I am watching the documentary right now. Provides motivation to address health & exercise. Worth watching.

I am not buying the concept of giving your digestive system a break & cleansing. A relative told me if cleansing was of such benefit, people should just do the colonoscopy prep on a regular basis. Cleans better than any diet can. But I believe eating more vegetables & losing weight would do me (& many of us) a lot of good.
Church Lady

Post by Church Lady »

the problem with juicers is that with all the fiber removed your body is hit with an immediate slug of sugar.
This. According to a free class at a local health food store, juice vegetables but blend your fruits to avoid the blood sugar spike. So don't get rid of that Vitamix anytime soon!

One thing that impressed me at the demo was WHAT A PAIN IT IS TO CLEAN A JUICER! :( WHAT A HUGE AMOUNT OF FOOD IS TOSSED OUT! :( I asked the demonstrator what she did with the leftover pulp. She said she bakes with it. Hmmn.

This article may be helpful: http://www.discountjuicers.com/juicingfruits.html. In fact, that website has a lot of information about juicers. You can easily find other reviewers on the web.

I also suggest a visit to You Tube to watch reviews of juicers.

Good luck!

Full disclosure: I blend, I don't juice, specifically to avoid the blood sugar spike.
He that loveth silver shall not be satisfied with silver; nor he that loveth abundance with increase: this is also vanity.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JoinToday wrote:
TRC wrote:
JoinToday wrote:

I am watching the documentary right now. Provides motivation to address health & exercise. Worth watching.

I am not buying the concept of giving your digestive system a break & cleansing. A relative told me if cleansing was of such benefit, people should just do the colonoscopy prep on a regular basis. Cleans better than any diet can. But I believe eating more vegetables & losing weight would do me (& many of us) a lot of good.
Don't want to get this thread shutdown, but like most documentaries, it is hardly an unbiased piece. It is extremely pro-vegetarian. Just speaking as a health professional, with an advanced degree in nutrition; I definitely agree that any benefits associated with juicing as opposed to blending are completely limited to taste.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

I think the blood sugar spike is overblown unless you're juicing a bunch of fruit, which I don't see the point. A vegetable based juice with some fruit for taste, little concern to me.

Juicing vs blending really comes down to a personal preference. If you're doing either, or just eating them, you're doing well compared to most people.

Back to the OP, I have heard good things about Omega and Green Star. I would search for some reviews. If you go centrifugal I would recommend Breville.
JoinToday

Post by JoinToday »

stoptothink wrote:
JoinToday wrote:
TRC wrote:
JoinToday wrote:

Don't want to get this thread shutdown, but like most documentaries, it is hardly an unbiased piece. It is extremely pro-vegetarian. Just speaking as a health professional, with an advanced degree in nutrition; I definitely agree that any benefits associated with juicing as opposed to blending are completely limited to taste.
I realize anecdotal evidence in the film doesn't really prove anything. The one thing that I would worry about with a juicing diet or raw diet is the number of calories consumed. People aren't losing big weight magically. Sure, water may be a big part of it, but these folks are losing muscle mass in addition to weight.

There is probable a middle ground for relatively healthy people to follow. Having said all that, eliminating fast food and processed food, eating more vegetables, and getting more exercise would do a lot of good to a lot of people.
stoptothink

Post by stoptothink »

JoinToday wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
JoinToday wrote:
TRC wrote:
JoinToday wrote:

I realize anecdotal evidence in the film doesn't really prove anything. The one thing that I would worry about with a juicing diet or raw diet is the number of calories consumed. People aren't losing big weight magically. Sure, water may be a big part of it, but these folks are losing muscle mass in addition to weight.

There is probable a middle ground for relatively healthy people to follow. Having said all that, eliminating fast food and processed food, eating more vegetables, and getting more exercise would do a lot of good to a lot of people.
Can't disagree with anything you said. Bottom line is you have to be careful with caloric intake with whatever you are consuming, that could be super tricky with juicing. For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would choose to juice over blending, but some people have much pickier pallets than do I.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

stoptothink wrote:
Can't disagree with anything you said. Bottom line is you have to be careful with caloric intake with whatever you are consuming, that could be super tricky with juicing. For the life of me, I can't understand why anybody would choose to juice over blending, but some people have much pickier pallets than do I.
For me it's not about my palate at all actually. I don't want all the cellulose and fiber, I want the vitamins, minerals and chlorophyll. That is why I juice instead of blend. I get more than enough fiber through oats, seeds, nuts, other fruit/veg I eat throughout the day, other grains, etc.

OP, have you made a decision or atleast narrowed down your search?
Dutch

Post by Dutch »

BW1985 wrote: don't want all the cellulose and fiber, I want the vitamins, minerals and chlorophyll. That is why I juice instead of blend. I get more than enough fiber through oats, seeds, nuts, other fruit/veg I eat throughout the day, other grains, etc.
Perhaps, but probably not. Not picking on you, but even if your fiber intake is way above average, chances are you're still deficient. Most of us are (extremely) fiber deficient. And fiber is what our gut microbiome needs to survive on. We're getting increasingly aware of the importance of gut-health for overall health and well-being.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

Dutch wrote:
BW1985 wrote: don't want all the cellulose and fiber, I want the vitamins, minerals and chlorophyll. That is why I juice instead of blend. I get more than enough fiber through oats, seeds, nuts, other fruit/veg I eat throughout the day, other grains, etc.
Perhaps, but probably not. Not picking on you, but even if your fiber intake is way above average, chances are you're still deficient. Most of us are (extremely) fiber deficient. And fiber is what our gut microbiome needs to survive on. We're getting increasingly aware of the importance of gut-health for overall health and well-being.
Someone questioned why one would choose juicing over blending so I shared my reason. I get enough fiber, but I'm aware that many people with a typical western diet don't. I think this is more of a diet issure rather than a juicing vs blending issue. People should make the right choice for their own needs though.

The RDA is only 30g a day if I recall correctly. Out of curiosity, what have you read or what do you personally target?
sdsailing

Post by sdsailing »

Dutch wrote:
That's correct, it is essentially impossible to eat too much fiber.

WRT to what an earlier poster said, there is no concept in scientific medicine of "giving your colon a rest". Fiber is of significant health benefit, and removing it from fruit eliminates one of the major reasons to eat fruit, apart from taste.
Topic Author
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

BW1985 wrote: OP, have you made a decision or atleast narrowed down your search?
I think I may have settled on the Omega NC800 HDS. There has been a lot of discussion about the pros/cons of juicing, but I don't think anybody caught the fact that I'm also looking to make baby food with it, and not all juicers can do that. The NC800 seems to fit the bill, and at $300, isn't terribly expensive. I did watch the youtube juice guy, John Koehler of discountjuicers, and that guy is a wealth of knowledge. It's amazing that he has so many videos, and there's still more videos that I'll probably watch. However, any additional suggestions for a juicer that can do baby food and wheat grass are greatly appreciated. :beer
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

sdsailing wrote:
Dutch wrote:
That's correct, it is essentially impossible to eat too much fiber.

WRT to what an earlier poster said, there is no concept in scientific medicine of "giving your colon a rest". Fiber is of significant health benefit, and removing it from fruit eliminates one of the major reasons to eat fruit, apart from taste.
That is actually incorrect. Cramping, diarrhea, malabsorption, constipation and intestinal blockage are all risks of consuming too much fiber.
Last edited by BW1985 on Fri Oct 28, 2016 11:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BW1985

Post by BW1985 »

SurferLife wrote:
BW1985 wrote: OP, have you made a decision or atleast narrowed down your search?
I think I may have settled on the Omega NC800 HDS. There has been a lot of discussion about the pros/cons of juicing, but I don't think anybody caught the fact that I'm also looking to make baby food with it, and not all juicers can do that. The NC800 seems to fit the bill, and at $300, isn't terribly expensive. I did watch the youtube juice guy, John Koehler of discountjuicers, and that guy is a wealth of knowledge. It's amazing that he has so many videos, and there's still more videos that I'll probably watch. However, any additional suggestions for a juicer that can do baby food and wheat grass are greatly appreciated. :beer
Cool, looks like a solid choice.. good reviews from what I saw. Sounds like there's a ring that frequently breaks that's the only watchout I came across. Any masticating juicer will handle wheatgrass well but I haven't paid any attention to baby food when searching.
Mav

Post by Mav »

It has probably been posted, from my experience, centrifugal juicers are convenient, but cause too much oxidation, they spin way too fast, you need to drink juice right away. If you have time, I'd use Omega, which are slower, but the juice lasts up to 3 days in the refrigerator. Seriously pay attention to a non BPA plastic that comes in contact with food/juice, earlier Omegas are made with the BPA plastic. I make veggie juices, never fruit, too much sugar to fast, you need the fiber from fruit, so chew it up. Also, I don't mix fruits with other food types. Eat them alone.

As far as the fiber topic, look up butyric acid, majority from the resistant starch. http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?pfri ... ice&dbid=2
scottj19707

Post by scottj19707 »

My wife bought a Vitamix about a year ago. I think she really likes it.

From my perspective, which I dare not voice, it makes a really nice door stop... if you know what I mean.
“To acquire knowledge, one must study; but to acquire wisdom, one must observe.”-Marilyn vos Savant; “If you can’t explain it simply, you don’t understand it well enough.”-Albert Einstein; VTI/VXUS/BND