Replacement Windshield Wiper Blades

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
burt

Replacement Windshield Wiper Blades

Post by burt » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:21 pm

Wondering if anyone has a preference for automobile windshield wiper blades.
Just purchased Trico Flex blades.
Spent 30 minutes trying to figure out the instructions. (Supposedly the blades fit 6 options of arms.)
Spent another 30 minutes trying to force the blades into the wiper arms. I gave up and threw the blades away.
Noticed that previous blades were Bosch, so I will be going back to that brand.

Do you have a favorite replacement automobile wiper blade ?

burt

marcwd

Re: Replacement Windshield Wiper Blades

Post by marcwd » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:31 pm

OEM

There was a thread on this recently.

htdrag11

Post by htdrag11 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:37 pm

I don't but usually buy from Costco when they are on sale.

Since I'm a klutz, I would just watch YouTube for installation procedures. Trico Flex has a few videos to demonstrate.

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:41 pm

burt wrote:Wondering if anyone has a preference for automobile windshield wiper blades.
Spent 30 minutes trying to figure out the instructions. (Supposedly the blades fit 6 options of arms.)
Spent another 30 minutes trying to force the blades into the wiper arms. I gave up and threw the blades away.

burt
Why throw them away rather than just return them and try another brand?

wertdaman

Post by wertdaman » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:38 pm

Or if you buy them locally, most chains (Autozone, Advanced Auto Parts, etc) will install them for you for free...

badger42

Post by badger42 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:45 pm

The blades from Costco work fine. 5 bucks each if you catch them when the coupon is on.

Toons

Post by Toons » Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:49 pm

Walmart .
The best they offer.
They install
:happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

finite_difference

Post by finite_difference » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:03 pm

AutoZone. They install for free. Bosch (one up from their cheapest model.)
The most precious gift we can offer anyone is our attention. - Thich Nhat Hanh

F150HD

Post by F150HD » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:23 pm

burt wrote:Wondering if anyone has a preference for automobile windshield wiper blades.

burt
no matter what they cost, they seem to need replacement every few years anywho, so, I buy about whatever fits for the lowest cost....then replace as needed.

MoneyIsntEverything

Post by MoneyIsntEverything » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:24 pm

Deleted
Last edited by MoneyIsntEverything on Wed May 17, 2017 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:26 pm

I buy replacement wiper blades at the local AutoZone (I think). I tell them my make and model, and they confirm I have the right one. At no extra charge, they will assist in the installation while I am there.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:04 pm

Buy the cheapest and replace annually. Consumer Reports gave up reviewing them which tells you something.

Retired1809

Post by Retired1809 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:10 pm

I've never replaced the windshield wipers on my 2004 Subaru that I bought new. I'm convinced that the original equipment outlasts replacements but I've been surprised how long mine have lasted. Disclosure: My car is garaged most of the time. My car is over 12 years old and has approx 90,000 miles. I keep my wipers and windshield clean. (I bought a replacement pair four years ago but haven't needed to install them yet.)

dm200

Post by dm200 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:37 pm

dm200 wrote:I buy replacement wiper blades at the local AutoZone (I think). I tell them my make and model, and they confirm I have the right one. At no extra charge, they will assist in the installation while I am there.
Since you can buy just one, I often only replace the one that needs replacing.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:50 pm

Ninegrams wrote:Buy the cheapest and replace annually. Consumer Reports gave up reviewing them which tells you something.
That's old school thinking. The better new blades will last for years.

I stay away from ANCO. They are the ones you seem to need to change every year.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:04 pm

munemaker wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:Buy the cheapest and replace annually. Consumer Reports gave up reviewing them which tells you something.

"When new, we saw that all of the tested windshield wipers provided very good or excellent performance initially, but most quickly degraded after a few months of regular use. Depending on the model, deterioration showed up on the windshield as streaking (leaving lines of water behind), smearing of the water (instead of clearing it), or missed areas of wiping. Because we found that a wiper blades will typically provide very good or better performance when new, with performance dropping off quickly, most blades should provide adequate performance after about six months when they should be replaced. Consequently, we no longer test them."

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/wipe ... -guide.htm

Their "old school thinking" matches my real-life experience. YMMV

burt

Post by burt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:08 am

Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't return the blades because I lost the receipt. :-(
A streaky windshield drives me nuts, especially when driving in heavy traffic.
Rubber degrades with age (like tires). I replace wiper blades at least annually.

burt

amd2135

Post by amd2135 » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:58 am

I buy just the inserts and replace them in the OEM blade assemblies that came with my car. Inserts are OEM and work very well.

Strangely enough, the local dealer doesn't stock them. I have to get them on Ebay. They'd rather sell me an inferior complete unit. Very glad I kept the originals when I gave the dealer's OEM branded replacement junk a try.

This is for a late model Mazda.

vrex

Post by vrex » Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:14 am

I found the blades at Costco, Goodyear I think, to be terrible. After some research I bought Rain-X Latitude blades. They are the best in my opinion. No streaking and do not lift off windshield at high speeds. Not found in stores in right size so just got them from Amazon.

Info_Hound

Post by Info_Hound » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:14 am

vrex wrote:I found the blades at Costco, Goodyear I think, to be terrible. After some research I bought Rain-X Latitude blades. They are the best in my opinion. No streaking and do not lift off windshield at high speeds. Not found in stores in right size so just got them from Amazon.
+1

I replace blades once a year in the fall so I have the best possible wipers for winter weather driving. I am convinced that the strong UV rays here in CO deteriorate wiper blades. The Rain-X Latitudes give a good clean sweep with no streaking and holds up well in wind and snow. Our local Walmart carries them.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:24 am

+5 for Costco

I tried the wiper inserts but they never fit in properly and caused streaks. Since Costco is only $5, it was just easier to buy that.

When I was younger and poorer, I swapped out "beater" blades for the summer months so I can extend the usefulness. I could usually double their lifetime. Actually I would still do it today except DW insists new wipers every year. I rotate her old ones onto my car. As long as the sizes don't differ too much, they work fine.

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 22, 2016 12:50 pm

A word of caution - when you extend the wiper arm to remove the old blade, put something down on the windshield in case the arm suddenly drops down (a towel, piece of wood or whatever). The bare metal striking the windshield can break the glass. I'm speaking from experience.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:28 pm

I found Trico and Anco to be wasteful because they would last 6 months at best. For years now I have bought replacement blade inserts from Toyota and Honda and am very happy with them. They cost only a few bucks more than what other blades sell for, but they last at least 12 months or more. So, the OEM blades are a better buy overall. My dealers don't charge to install them as I usually have it done when the cars are in for routine maintenance (inspection, oil change, etc.)
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

tibbitts

Post by tibbitts » Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:52 pm

burt wrote:Thanks for the feedback.

I didn't return the blades because I lost the receipt. :-(
A streaky windshield drives me nuts, especially when driving in heavy traffic.
Rubber degrades with age (like tires). I replace wiper blades at least annually.

burt
I bought the wrong size blades at walmart by mistake and returned to another (walmart) store 1500 miles away w/o a receipt. They just give you the lowest price for the last some number of months on a gift card.

Don_Qua

Post by Don_Qua » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:55 pm

vrex wrote:I found the blades at Costco, Goodyear I think, to be terrible. After some research I bought Rain-X Latitude blades. They are the best in my opinion. No streaking and do not lift off windshield at high speeds. Not found in stores in right size so just got them from Amazon.
Agreed on the Costco Goodyear blades. I tried the Goodyear labeled blades from Costco on my 2002 Camry and wife's 2007 Sonata, never again. I use Rain-X on the windshields and these blades streaked quickly and wore the Rain-X away in eye height streaky patterns. Replaced with more expensive OEM blades sourced via eBay, it was worth it.

furikake

Post by furikake » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:24 pm

I have a Honda, so I bought Honda blades. Watched YouTube video on how to install. Easy peasy!

burt

Post by burt » Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:43 pm

Update:

Went to auto parts store #1.
Sales person entered my auto (2010 Toyota Avalon) into the computer and asked to look at the auto. I didn't feel confident at this point. Sales person indicated that they only had Trico blades in stock. I told him of my bad experience with Trico and proceeded to auto parts store #2.
Note: Trico instructions indicate they can fit "opposed wiper system" side lock, side pin short, side pin long. Also.. "Push Button" narrow and wide. Also "Pinch Tab" and "Pinch Tab Button". Also Bayonet. In my opinion there is no way plastic adapter tolerances are going to make these blades work on 8 different wiper arms. In fact, I proved this on my 2010 Avalon.

Went to auto parts store #2.
Sales person indicated I needed a Bosch type OE (original equipment?). Noticed that the Bosch rack also had type "A" and type "B" blades in addition to the "OE" blades. I'm guessing different types fit different arms. Sales person installed the OE blades on my car in under 5 minutes. I tested the blades and am very happy. No streaks, no noise.

Summary: In the future, I will only purchase Bosch blades designed for my auto.

burt

daveydoo

Post by daveydoo » Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:35 pm

AAA wrote:A word of caution...The bare metal striking the windshield can break the glass. I'm speaking from experience.
Thank you!
"I mean, it's one banana, Michael...what could it cost? Ten dollars?"

squirm

Post by squirm » Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:33 pm

Bosch Icons.

munemaker

Post by munemaker » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:06 am

Ninegrams wrote:
munemaker wrote:

"When new, we saw that all of the tested windshield wipers provided very good or excellent performance initially, but most quickly degraded after a few months of regular use. Depending on the model, deterioration showed up on the windshield as streaking (leaving lines of water behind), smearing of the water (instead of clearing it), or missed areas of wiping. Because we found that a wiper blades will typically provide very good or better performance when new, with performance dropping off quickly, most blades should provide adequate performance after about six months when they should be replaced. Consequently, we no longer test them."

I have a lot of respect for Consumer Reports. If I had read what you did, I would be thinking the same thing you are.

I wish I could be 100% sure of the brand on my Honda CR*V. I bought them at Wal*Mart. Pretty sure they were Michelin branded. I have had them on for at least two years. I live in an area known for harsh winters with lots of snow and ice. With winter approaching, I was thinking that I should replace the wiper blades. Then, I drive the car and they seem to be working perfectly, so I decide against it. If they go bad during the winter, I will change them.

I agree completely with the negative comments on Anco and Trico. Seems like the local dealers, repair shops and gas stations push these.

If you buy good blades, it is not necessary to change them every 6 to 12 months.

Also, several people commented that auto parts stores, Wal*Mart and others will change the blades for free. This is true, but the job is so simple on most cars, you can easily do it yourself.

chuckb84

Post by chuckb84 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:31 am

I like Valeo wipers on my 2003 Honda Pilot. The last set I ordered was 2.5 years ago and I'm just about to replace them.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000C ... =UTF8&th=1

snowman

Post by snowman » Sun Oct 23, 2016 12:09 pm

Many years of experience, multiple cars, harsh environment for rubber blades (Colorado).

Not very good: Trico, Goodyear (from Costco), Bosch MicroEdge, Nissan OEM
Mostly good: Bosch Icon, Honda OEM
Consistently very good: Bosch Excel+

They each have their pluses and minuses - how well they clean, how long they last, how quite/loud they are. Some are pretty good but don't last that long (Trico, Nissan OEM). Some like Honda OEM clean pretty well and last longer than cheepos, but are pretty loud too. Some like Bosch Icon are quiet and last a long time but apply inconsistent pressure due to there frame less design, so they work fine on one car and leave uncleaned space on another. The only blade that I found over the years that is quiet, cleans well, and lasts a long time is Bosch Excel+.

Finally, I just put on Michelin wipers from WalMart on my Honda. The price was excellent, and it claimed to be highly rated by consumer research magazine (presumably Consumer Reports). I figured I'd give it a try (it's a lot cheaper than Bosch Excel+). I have to admit it cleans well and is super quiet (did not expect it at this price range). Will see how long it lasts.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:44 pm

AAA wrote:A word of caution - when you extend the wiper arm to remove the old blade, put something down on the windshield in case the arm suddenly drops down (a towel, piece of wood or whatever). The bare metal striking the windshield can break the glass. I'm speaking from experience.
Yes, I keep a block of that white packing material for that purpose.
All the Best, | Joe

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:20 pm

I bought the cheapest wipers Autozone had, they were even cheaper than the Autozone brand which I didn't think was possible. 2 weeks later I went in and bought the Autozone brand and they're still doing fine 6 months later. All windshield wipers dry out and lose their flexibility, so the key for me is to find the cheapest ones that will do the job, and then replace them every year. I've paid a lot of money for fancy wipers and they don't do anything special. Oh, I also put rain-x in my windshield fluid reservoir. That stuff is magic.

S&L1940

Post by S&L1940 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:25 pm

gotta confess, over the years I have spent hours installing blades. sometimes failing completely and needing someone who knew what they were doing!
another reason I never became a surgeon
Don't it always seem to go * That you don't know what you've got * Till it's gone

william48

Post by william48 » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:11 pm

Tried them all. Some squeak, some streak and others didn't last. Friend at work said to buy Valeo wipers from Amazon. I did for both cars, best blades I have ever purchased. Quiet, no streaking, been two years and still work fine. Wouldn't buy anything else. Worse ones were Goodyears I got from Costco, noisy as heck and streaked badly. Only bad item I purchased from Costco.

Angelus359

Post by Angelus359 » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:23 am

In cold environments with lots of ice I would not recommend any brand with exposed metal

I use rain latitude for that reason
IT-DevOps System Administrator

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:37 pm

munemaker wrote:
Ninegrams wrote:
munemaker wrote:

I have a lot of respect for Consumer Reports. If I had read what you did, I would be thinking the same thing you are.

I wish I could be 100% sure of the brand on my Honda CR*V. I bought them at Wal*Mart. Pretty sure they were Michelin branded. I have had them on for at least two years. I live in an area known for harsh winters with lots of snow and ice. With winter approaching, I was thinking that I should replace the wiper blades. Then, I drive the car and they seem to be working perfectly, so I decide against it. If they go bad during the winter, I will change them.

I agree completely with the negative comments on Anco and Trico. Seems like the local dealers, repair shops and gas stations push these.

If you buy good blades, it is not necessary to change them every 6 to 12 months.

Also, several people commented that auto parts stores, Wal*Mart and others will change the blades for free. This is true, but the job is so simple on most cars, you can easily do it yourself.
It's not just my "thinking", it's been my actual experience. Anyhoo, those Michelins at Walmart are the cheapies, which coincidentally are the ones I use. Those blades run about five bucks vs fifteen for Rain-X or some such. I'm happy to do the simple task of swapping out blades annually before the winter sets in, and I don't need to worry about them going going south when I'm out in a rainstorm. No fuss, no muss and in the long run I'll bet I even save a few pennies, woohoo!!

batpot

Post by batpot » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:05 pm

SurferLife wrote:Oh, I also put rain-x in my windshield fluid reservoir. That stuff is magic.
What ratio do you use to keep the blades from sticking & slipping across the surface, making a horrible racket?