Microsoft Office

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Saving$

Microsoft Office

Post by Saving$ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:44 pm

MS Office seems to have all sorts of versions these days. Can someone please clarify:

I can "subscribe" to Office 365 for one year for one computer for $69.95 (lower via some deals). I can also go to the local store and buy Office 365 in a box. Either one includes software for one of my computers. So what happens when the one year is over? I understand I will no longer have access to the 1TB of space they will give me on OneDrive, and that I can no longer log onto email via their Office 365 site, but if my email provider is not Microsoft, does Outlook stop picking up email? Will Word & Excel no longer open?

Also, if you have a "work" email that exists on Office 365 only (the $5/month subscription), can you buy a copy of Office 365, install Outlook on your local computer and have that email sync to Outlook, or are you required to buy the $12.50/m package to get your email on a local version of Outlook?

Nummerkins

Re: Microsoft Office

Post by Nummerkins » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:18 pm

When your Office 365 sub expires it will go into reduced functionality mode. I think you can open but not edit documents.

Local Outlook can connect to any email provider, Microsoft or not. It too will no longer function after a year if 'rented' through O365.

I really would do the subscription for two reasons:

1. O365 Office allows up to 5 local installs. This should cover more devices people own.
2. O365 Office is constantly being updated. The one-time purchase versions will be much farther behind and Microsoft has not stated if/when they will ever be brought to feature parity.

Post by 123 » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:24 pm

We're still running Office 2007 on a couple of PCs that upgraded to Windows 10 just fine. Older versions of Office are pretty cheap and work just fine as long as you don't need the latest bells and whistles.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 10:54 pm

Nummerkins wrote:When your Office 365 sub expires it will go into reduced functionality mode. I think you can open but not edit documents.
What part reduces functionality - the web Office 365, or the locally installed Outlook 2016?
Nummerkins wrote:Local Outlook can connect to any email provider, Microsoft or not. It too will no longer function after a year if 'rented' through O365.
Agreed, I used to have many emails connected to my 2003 version of Outlook. However, I don't understand how it will stop functioning. I buy & install Outlook 2016, use another email provider, and after one year Microsoft sends some sort of secret code to make my software stop working?

Nummerkins wrote:I really would do the subscription for two reasons:
1. O365 Office allows up to 5 local installs. This should cover more devices people own.
No, there are several versions. On the personal side, you can pay $70 for one local install, $99 for 5 local installs. On the business side, you can pay $5/month for no local installs, or $12.50/m for several local installs...

Nummerkins wrote:2. O365 Office is constantly being updated. The one-time purchase versions will be much farther behind and Microsoft has not stated if/when they will ever be brought to feature parity.
But it if you buy Office 365 with local installs, and install Outlook 2016, do you really care if it gets updated all the time? Why not just update once every 3-5 years if the thing works?

I also see they sell something called "Office Home & Business" for $199 that does not include mention of 365. Is that the product you now need to get to obtain a sort of perpetual license to what is installed on your PC?

gnujoe2001

Post by gnujoe2001 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:47 am

Saving$ wrote:
I also see they sell something called "Office Home & Business" for $199 that does not include mention of 365. Is that the product you now need to get to obtain a sort of perpetual license to what is installed on your PC?
Yes. This is the one time purchase, for one machine.

https://www.microsoftstore.com/store/ms ... .323023000

oldcomputerguy

Post by oldcomputerguy » Fri Oct 21, 2016 4:59 am

Unless you just absolutely must have the Microsoft product, you might give LibreOffice a try. It comes with the same basic applications as MS Office (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, database connectivity) and is free. Functionality is pretty close to the MS product, as is the UI, so you should be able to learn it very quickly.
It’s taken me a lot of years, but I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people. And if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:12 am

smartinwate wrote:Unless you just absolutely must have the Microsoft product, you might give LibreOffice a try. It comes with the same basic applications as MS Office (word processor, spreadsheet, presentation, database connectivity) and is free. Functionality is pretty close to the MS product, as is the UI, so you should be able to learn it very quickly.
I already use Libre Office - it is a great product. Unfortunately, it has no replacement for Outlook. For some projects, at the end I need to provide a *.pst file with the project correspondence. I know of no way to do this without Outlook.

I need a PIM that will let you segregate subsets to save separately. EmClient sort of does this by allowing export to pdf, but you have to do it one folder at a time, which is not going to happen with projects that have 200-300 folders. Also, EmClient keeps everything in one database - once you export to pdf, you cannot reimport. Eventually the database just gets too large.

jjface

Post by jjface » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:26 am

I hate the newer office 365 subscription products. Office versions can last at least 5+ years

I'd buy the full version of Office home and business. Older versions work just fine. I am still using 2010 even though another computer of mine came with 2013. I prefer the layout of 2010. You can buy 2016 from the microsoftstore.

What's the difference between Office 365 plans and Office 2016 suites?

Office 365 plans include the complete suite of Office applications, plus other services that are enabled over the Internet, including extra cloud storage with OneDrive and Skype minutes for home use. With Office 365 you get the full, installed Office experience on PCs, Macs, tablets (including Windows, iPad, and Android) and smartphones. Office 365 plans are available as a monthly or annual subscription. With Office 365, upgrades are always included with your subscription.

Office 2016 suites, including Office Home & Student and Home & Business, include applications such as Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote; they are available as a one-time purchase for use on a single PC or Mac. The applications are not automatically updated; to get the latest version, you must purchase Office again when the new version becomes available.

mattshwink

Post by mattshwink » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:36 am

To further clarify Office 365 is the online/cloud version of the Product. It is Office 2016, but, due to its cloud nature, when Microsoft upgrades to the next version of Office (maybe Office 2019) Office 365 will automatically be that version (in other words, an Office 365 subscription includes all product upgrades, automatically).

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:44 am

You may want to see if your work participates in the Microsoft HUP program. You can get Office for $9.95.

http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/home.aspx

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:45 am

Note also that you can move any old stand-alone Office licenses you may have purchased from a dead-PC to a new PC (provided you have the old license code). I've done this a couple of times - once I was able to activate the license on the new machine; the other time I ran into an issue that required me to call Microsoft to help me get the license on the new PC (it kept stating the license was already in use). The old stand-alone licenses that were licensed to one machine don't have to stay on the same machine.

Another note - I believe it is still the case that O365 (education edition that includes Word, Excel, PPT) is free for college and high-school students. So if you are looking to buy for a student DON'T. They get it for free. I talked to one parent who paid for a license when they bought a new PC not realizing this.

Earl Lemongrab

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:02 pm

Saving$ wrote: For some projects, at the end I need to provide a *.pst file with the project correspondence. I know of no way to do this without Outlook.
There are .eml to .pst converters out there.

Earl
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

JDot

Post by JDot » Fri Oct 21, 2016 12:06 pm

To sort of "get w/ the times" and compete w/ google docs, etc., the free version of Microsoft Office works quite well. You might find that you can get by with just using the free version. I personally use google docs for pretty much everything outside of work.

I've only played with Microsoft's free offerings.

https://products.office.com/en-us/offic ... ice-online

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:06 pm

Thank you for the replies. After some research based on the replies...

JDot: The free version is online only, and does not include Outlook. They have an online app called Mail, but it is apparently not possible to save your Mail database as a separate file, so no go.

Earl: Yes, there are eml to pst converters, but then you convert the entire database, and still need a local version of Outlook to manage breaking off a subset into a pst.

Mattshwink: Yes, Office365 is the online version, but it says "Now includes Office 2016 apps for your PC and Mac." Seems to imply it includes the standalone Outlook program for Windows PC. How is this any different than buying Office 2016?

bfwolf: Thank you. The HUP looks interesting. I read through the T&C and see that it allows for one home installation. It is unclear to me if the use is limited to just the employee or anyone in the employees household. It seems to me others in the household using it for projects not associated with the employees employment might be against the T&C's (although I cannot find that in the T&C's and have no idea if Microsoft would even know; I assume they would???)
Last edited by Saving$ on Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mattshwink

Post by mattshwink » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:16 pm

Saving$ wrote:Thank you for the replies. After some research based on the replies...

Mattshwink: Yes, Office365 is the online version, but it says "Now includes Office 2016 apps for your PC and Mac." Seems to imply it includes the standalone Outlook program for Windows PC. How is this any different than buying Office 2016?
You are able to install Office on multiple PCs (depending on your subscription). With an active Office 365 subscription installations will update to the latest version when available.

A standalone install stays at the same version until you pay for (and install) an upgrade.

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:24 pm

mattshwink wrote:
Saving$ wrote:Thank you for the replies. After some research based on the replies...

You are able to install Office on multiple PCs (depending on your subscription). With an active Office 365 subscription installations will update to the latest version when available.

A standalone install stays at the same version until you pay for (and install) an upgrade.
THANK YOU - so to be clear (can you please confirm?) - I can buy one year of Office 365, install the "apps" including Outlook 2016, and Outlook 2016 will continue to work after the one year subscription expires. After the one year subscription expires, the OneDrive space goes away.

Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 » Fri Oct 21, 2016 2:34 pm

If anyone on this thread works for a large corporation look for your company to have a benefit called Microsoft Office Home User Program. I am able through megacorp to buy MS office download for $9.95. Available for Windows and Mac.

taschda

Post by taschda » Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:49 pm

For some projects, at the end I need to provide a *.pst file with the project correspondence.
It would seem to me that if your client demands something in a specific format, then the price of the software to get it there should be billable to the project. :moneybag

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:01 pm

My firm has an office 365 subscription and it includes you using it on your personal devices. My wife's firm has the $9.95 purchase option - explore both of those first.

DavidC

Post by DavidC » Fri Oct 21, 2016 6:58 pm

Saving$ wrote:THANK YOU - so to be clear (can you please confirm?) - I can buy one year of Office 365, install the "apps" including Outlook 2016, and Outlook 2016 will continue to work after the one year subscription expires.
NO, the local version of Outlook 2016 will not continue to work with full functionality if your subscription has lapsed as Nummerkins already mentioned:
Nummerkins wrote:When your Office 365 sub expires it will go into reduced functionality mode. I think you can open but not edit documents.

Local Outlook can connect to any email provider, Microsoft or not. It too will no longer function after a year if 'rented' through O365.
Cancel Office 365 for home wrote:What happens after I cancel my subscription?

After you cancel your subscription, Office will run in reduced functionality mode and will show Unlicensed Product notifications. You’ll still be able to open and print your documents but you won’t be able to edit them or to create new ones.
source
In true boglehead fashion my chief concern is saving enough to withstand 7 consecutive biblical plagues. - TheNightsToCome

Oddlot

Post by Oddlot » Fri Oct 21, 2016 8:19 pm

You can access a free version of Excel (Excel Online) through Microsoft Outlook (after logging in to Outlook, click on the nine square figure in the upper left).

Word, Power Point and some other office apps are also available in free versions there.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:42 am

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Saving$ wrote: For some projects, at the end I need to provide a *.pst file with the project correspondence. I know of no way to do this without Outlook.
There are .eml to .pst converters out there.

Earl
I used Aid4Mail to convert my Thunderbird mail to an outlook PST file. It is not free but it worked like a champ!. $40 for one year license. $30 for two week license. There is a limited function free trial you can use just to see if it will work for you.

"Winner of the Software Innovation Solution of the Year award at the 2016 IT Europa European Software and IT Excellence Awards."
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

Mudpuppy

Post by Mudpuppy » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:00 pm

Saving$ wrote:
Nummerkins wrote:Local Outlook can connect to any email provider, Microsoft or not. It too will no longer function after a year if 'rented' through O365.
Agreed, I used to have many emails connected to my 2003 version of Outlook. However, I don't understand how it will stop functioning. I buy & install Outlook 2016, use another email provider, and after one year Microsoft sends some sort of secret code to make my software stop working?
The question is: did you get Outlook 2016 through Office 2016 or through Office365?

Office 2016 is not the subscription model. You buy it and have it until it can no longer run on your current system. If you have Office 2016, you don't have to worry about it ceasing to work after a year (unless you have a corporate license for Office 2016, and then it will stop working after a while if it can no longer connect to the corporate license server). So basically it's a buy-once and use until you can't anymore model, which is why you pay more.

Office365 is the subscription model of Office 2016. It's basically Office 2016 (and whatever Microsoft calls future versions of Office) with an expiration date. So it will go into reduced functionality mode after a year unless you renew the subscription. Each year costs less than the buy-once version, but you have to renew to keep it functional. So the cost over time may be more.

bertilak

Post by bertilak » Sat Oct 22, 2016 3:26 pm

Mudpuppy wrote:
Saving$ wrote:
The question is: did you get Outlook 2016 through Office 2016 or through Office365?

Office 2016 is not the subscription model. You buy it and have it until it can no longer run on your current system. If you have Office 2016, you don't have to worry about it ceasing to work after a year (unless you have a corporate license for Office 2016, and then it will stop working after a while if it can no longer connect to the corporate license server). So basically it's a buy-once and use until you can't anymore model, which is why you pay more.

Office365 is the subscription model of Office 2016. It's basically Office 2016 (and whatever Microsoft calls future versions of Office) with an expiration date. So it will go into reduced functionality mode after a year unless you renew the subscription. Each year costs less than the buy-once version, but you have to renew to keep it functional. So the cost over time may be more.
100% Correct.

Here is a description from Microsoft itself: What's the difference between Office 365 and Office 2016? It says pretty much the same thing but it is an "official" statement and, most important, has pretty formatting and even a video.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:20 pm

I just bought a new Dell XPS 8910 computer (old one died) which did not take my old MS Office 2002. I did not like to order a subscription to Office because I probably would use it for 10 years or more (at 10 x $70), and I have a lot of Word and Excel files. So I ordered an Office 2016, a download from Microsoft for $150 plus tax. Everything works fine now, my Excel file I use as a map of my gardens looks wonderful on a 27 inch monitor.

Bfwolf

Post by Bfwolf » Sun Oct 23, 2016 3:33 pm

Saving$ wrote: bfwolf: Thank you. The HUP looks interesting. I read through the T&C and see that it allows for one home installation. It is unclear to me if the use is limited to just the employee or anyone in the employees household. It seems to me others in the household using it for projects not associated with the employees employment might be against the T&C's (although I cannot find that in the T&C's and have no idea if Microsoft would even know; I assume they would???)
Microsoft does not know nor care that your household will use your Office installation for both work-related projects and non-work-related project. Neither does your company. They both expect that it will be used for both in this day and age.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:21 pm

likegarden wrote:Everything works fine now, my Excel file I use as a map of my gardens looks wonderful on a 27 inch monitor.
Please elaborate!

sawhorse

Post by sawhorse » Sun Oct 23, 2016 11:58 pm

I'm still using 2010 and have no desire to update. I installed 2013 on one of my computers and didn't find it any better than 2010. 2010 is definitely better than 2007. 2007 was their first edition with the new ribbon look, and it had many bugs that were ironed out in 2010.

expat

Post by expat » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:17 am

I haven't used MS office in years. I use Google docs instead.

mancich

Post by mancich » Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:38 am

I use Office 2007 at home and it runs great. I actually tried upgrading to 2016, and found it ran slower on my (fairly powerful) desktop PC. Slower to load, slower to move between cells, etc. And a lot of extra bells and whistles that most people won't use. At work, I use Office 2010, and that also works well.

LiterallyIronic

Post by LiterallyIronic » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:50 am

I find it far more convenient to have my own copy of Office that I don't have to pay monthly to keep accessing. Unfortunately, that means that Office is a $400 purchase, so I've been sticking with Office 2000. I'd love to get Office 2013 or something so I can open .pptx files, but it's an expensive software suite.

To OP, LibreOffice might be the way to go. I'd use it myself, but I haven't figured out how to get it to open/edit Microsoft Access files. If you don't need that, LibreOffice should be looked into at least.

squirm

Post by squirm » Mon Oct 24, 2016 10:57 am

You can find discounted Ms office products somewhere. An older version that is cheap is better than a free or cheap version of a ms office competitor that hardly anyone else uses.

likegarden

Post by likegarden » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:51 pm

TOJ, I use each cell of an Excel table as a place. My map of my garden has a lot of these cells each of which could be the location of a plant. For example, horizontal A to BV, vertically 1 to 106, and a 27 inch monitor may show 2/3 of that. Names of plants are abbreviated from 2 to 4 characters and written into each cell. These abbreviations then can be looked up in a table on another Excel sheet which gives there a lot of pertinent information.

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:04 pm

It won't handle the entire set of OP's requirements, but I use OpenOffice as my free word/excel equivalent and it works fine for me. I was sort of coerced into this when my Windows 7 computer would no longer handle Word 2000 properly (i.e., wouldn't shut down).

RudyS

Post by RudyS » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:07 pm

It won't handle the entire set of OP's requirements, but I use OpenOffice as my free word/excel equivalent and it works fine for me. I was sort of coerced into this when my Windows 7 computer would no longer handle Word 2000 properly (i.e., wouldn't shut down).