Infiniti M37

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
LadyIJ

Infiniti M37

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:17 am

I'm thinking of getting a CPO 2013 Infiniti M37 (test drove one and loved it). Some of you may recall I had bought a 2013 Acura TSX which I wanted to get rid of due to the seat being hard - comfortable for a little while but not for an hour or two. Also low to the ground. Great gas mileage though and fun to drive. My husband has a 1998 Pathfinder. I had been considering the Lexus ES350). If I were to buy the M37 he may get rid of the old Pathfinder and drive the Acura and then we will still have an AWD. Or we can keep the Pathfinder and just trade in the Acura. I can hardly find anyone who has that car or even an Infiniti. One dealer has three of them, but other than that one dealer I don't see any others in the area, and don't know how hard they will be to find if I wait much longer. At least with this dealer they let you trade in the car within 3 days if it is not right. I'm sure I can wrangle a 3 hour test drive this time. Any experience with that car and/or advice would be appreciated.

edge

Re: Infiniti M37

Post by edge » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:51 am

I have had infiniti's. Very reliable cars. I can't speak specifically to the M (Q70 now?).

If you are looking at that class of car (sporty mid-size sedan) I would recommend the Jag XF or the Caddie CTS.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:29 am

I don't have one myself. but I know people with both G37s and M37s and they all are very happy with them. I also know those with the new Q series (Q-70 equivalent to M37) who are not happy and seriously considering selling and going back to a low mileage M37.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:39 am

Spirit Rider wrote:I don't have one myself. but I know people with both G37s and M37s and they all are very happy with them. I also know those with the new Q series (Q-70 equivalent to M37) who are not happy and seriously considering selling and going back to a low mileage M37.
I did read that the M's are better than the new Q's. But I read the Q's have a bit better mileage than the M's. The M37 gets 17 city forgot how much highway - it's the AWD.

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 11:52 am

My husband had the M37 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately he totaled it earlier this year. He fully intended to get the exact same car (maybe one year newer) but after test driving all kinds and researching ad nauseum, he ended up going with a year old Cadillac ATS. He didn't like the new Q versions as much as his M for various reasons I can't recall. I think he got an ATS with a higher horsepower than standard or some kind of partial sports package, but I know very little about cars. All I know is that he's very happy with the Cadillac even though he had no intention of considering that brand. He loves the smooth ride and says the car even beats his previously beloved Infiniti.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:11 pm

Meg77 wrote:My husband had the M37 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately he totaled it earlier this year. He fully intended to get the exact same car (maybe one year newer) but after test driving all kinds and researching ad nauseum, he ended up going with a year old Cadillac ATS. He didn't like the new Q versions as much as his M for various reasons I can't recall. I think he got an ATS with a higher horsepower than standard or some kind of partial sports package, but I know very little about cars. All I know is that he's very happy with the Cadillac even though he had no intention of considering that brand. He loves the smooth ride and says the car even beats his previously beloved Infiniti.
Thanks for your input - that is so good to know.

ray.james

Post by ray.james » Wed Oct 19, 2016 12:38 pm

I have the G37. It is an absolute pleasure to drive it and the comfort is awesome. No issues at all. I test drove Q. They improved the technology stuff which I think G/M series lacked a bit, but did not have the the same drive/style feel. I would also recommend good tires and they reduce road noise so all one hear will be the awesome engine rev + music. Very reliable and stellar value.

Only complaint I had was with parents feeling seats are low for their taste. I adjusted few settings and they were ok but getting in and out was slightly uncomfortable to them. I have to check the manual but since 2010 all G cars are Premier fuel only. Earlier it used to be recommended but not required.
When in doubt, http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=79939

Meg77

Post by Meg77 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 1:46 pm

LadyIJ wrote:
Meg77 wrote:My husband had the M37 and really enjoyed it. Unfortunately he totaled it earlier this year. He fully intended to get the exact same car (maybe one year newer) but after test driving all kinds and researching ad nauseum, he ended up going with a year old Cadillac ATS. He didn't like the new Q versions as much as his M for various reasons I can't recall. I think he got an ATS with a higher horsepower than standard or some kind of partial sports package, but I know very little about cars. All I know is that he's very happy with the Cadillac even though he had no intention of considering that brand. He loves the smooth ride and says the car even beats his previously beloved Infiniti.
Thanks for your input - that is so good to know.
No problem. :) One other thing I remember - the ATS is a bit smaller than the M37 (and I assume the Q version as well). One of his few complaints about the Infiniti was that it seemed too big for him. He's 6'4" and was comfortable inside but grew tired of trying to squeeze into our garage and small parking spots with the large M37 sedan - which did seem to have an abnormally large nose. He says he likes the slightly smaller body of the ATS (though the trunk still comfortably houses his golf clubs - a prime consideration!).
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin

edge

Post by edge » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:09 pm

The main difference is that Infiniti has released a horrific implementation of electronic steering.

The ATS is much smaller than the M. The equivalent Cadillac model is the CTS.
ray.james wrote:I have the G37. It is an absolute pleasure to drive it and the comfort is awesome. No issues at all. I test drove Q. They improved the technology stuff which I think G/M series lacked a bit, but did not have the the same drive/style feel. I would also recommend good tires and they reduce road noise so all one hear will be the awesome engine rev + music. Very reliable and stellar value.

Only complaint I had was with parents feeling seats are low for their taste. I adjusted few settings and they were ok but getting in and out was slightly uncomfortable to them. I have to check the manual but since 2010 all G cars are Premier fuel only. Earlier it used to be recommended but not required.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Wed Oct 19, 2016 2:25 pm

ray.james wrote:I have the G37. It is an absolute pleasure to drive it and the comfort is awesome. No issues at all. I test drove Q. They improved the technology stuff which I think G/M series lacked a bit, but did not have the the same drive/style feel. I would also recommend good tires and they reduce road noise so all one hear will be the awesome engine rev + music. Very reliable and stellar value.

I'm new to exploring the Infiniti, but I THINK the M37 is a larger car than the G37 and hopefully not low seats - because that's one of the nits I have with the TSX. I'll have to check that out - thanks for your input

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 4:41 pm

The M37 is indeed larger in physical size and it feels larger behind the wheel to me. The 3.7 is a great engine, a little thirsty but very solid. They did away with it for 2016 on the Q50 in favor of a 4-cyl turbo (which is a dog, I drove one) and two turbo V6s. I'm thinking they will get rid of the 3.7 in the Q70 in favor of the 3.0T soon.

Lindrobe

Post by Lindrobe » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:17 am

I had a G35 that I bought new in 2004. I drove it for 8 years and only had one problem with it. The main circuit board in dash went out. Dealerships quoted me $3500 to replace, but I found a company in FL that I shipped board to and they fixed for $500. I have heard that Nissan has gotten cheaper in terms of the quality of the parts that they use in their vehicles and I have had a lot of problems in the newer Nissans that I have owned, so I won't buy Nissan anymore (including Infiniti).
Last edited by Lindrobe on Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Oct 20, 2016 6:22 am

MY FIL had an older infiniti. It didn't give him many problems. That being said, Lexus is a known for superb reliability, comfort and quiet cabin. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd give Lexus the edge.

TheOscarGuy

Post by TheOscarGuy » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:24 am

TRC wrote:MY FIL had an older infiniti. It didn't give him many problems. That being said, Lexus is a known for superb reliability, comfort and quiet cabin. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd give Lexus the edge.
OP bought and sold Acura first, now is considering Infiniti. There is a certain experience you get out of driving either brands that is unmatched by Lexus to a large extent.

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Thu Oct 20, 2016 9:32 am

TheOscarGuy wrote:
TRC wrote:MY FIL had an older infiniti. It didn't give him many problems. That being said, Lexus is a known for superb reliability, comfort and quiet cabin. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but I'd give Lexus the edge.
OP bought and sold Acura first, now is considering Infiniti. There is a certain experience you get out of driving either brands that is unmatched by Lexus to a large extent.
Wrong and right. I still have the Acura - don't know if we'll end up with the Acura and Infiniti OR old Pathfinder and Infiniti (or Lexus?). the difficult part for me is I have a comfort issue with my back. I need the most comfortable and padded seats. That being said - the Infiniti with low profile tires ($) premium gas and AWD will drain the bank account more than the Lexus. But yes, I am a "driver".

2Birds1Stone

Post by 2Birds1Stone » Sun Oct 23, 2016 5:54 am

Purchased a G37s back in march and couldn't be happier.

Reliable, luxurious, excellent fit and finish, and under its gorgeous shell it's a Nissan so it's very easy to maintain.

xkunalx

Post by xkunalx » Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:05 pm

I have a G37 with the same engine as the M37. 125k+ miles without any issues. I previously had a G35 that I sold with 158k miles and it was quite durable as well.

edge

Post by edge » Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:49 pm

These are not comparable cars. No one, who knows what they are looking for, cross shops infiniti and lexus. It is like cross shopping buick (comfort) and bmw (sport).

LadyIJ

Post by LadyIJ » Tue Oct 25, 2016 10:08 am

[quote="edge"]These are not comparable cars. No one, who knows what they are looking for, cross shops infiniti and lexus. It is like cross shopping buick (comfort) and bmw (sport).

I see you point - HOWEVER, when you want one the "BIG THREE" Japanese car companies and go up to luxury, it really only leaves Lexus, Acura and Infiniti. I was surprised how comfortable and luxurious the M37 was; BUT, when I went back for another test drive I realized I was unimpressed with the drive - very heavy feeling. So again, see your point. Back to the Lexus or Acura - maybe TL.