What iPhone podcast application do you use?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
pondering

What iPhone podcast application do you use?

Post by pondering » Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:26 am

Seeing a recent post on what podcasts do you listen to made me wonder what application people are using to listen to podcasts.

Are you using a paid app, the built in app or another free app?
--Robert Sterbal | 412-977-3526 call/text

Fletch

Re: What iPhone podcast application do you use?

Post by Fletch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:38 pm

Downcast is my first choice (very flexible on how you wish to customize). Other good choices are Overcast and iCatcher and the free Podcast from Apple.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

wageoghe

Post by wageoghe » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:49 pm

I use Downcast as well. No ads. Yet.

Intrepyd

Post by Intrepyd » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:24 pm

I use Overcast (now ad-supported with premium ad-free option). It has great speed settings, and a "smart speed" that eliminates tiny silences to save lots of time in aggregate, almost unnoticeably.

furwut

Post by furwut » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:25 pm

I use Apple's Podcast. Good enough for me.

Watts

Post by Watts » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:37 pm

Big fan of Overcast.

cheesepep

Post by cheesepep » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 pm

I have never seen the benefits of podcasts, so I never listen to them. In my car, I prefer music. I don't want people talking to me. At home, I prefer to read (not listen) the news. I can do so much faster and read only what I want. My friend, however, loves podcasts and listens to them every morning.

hirlaw

Post by hirlaw » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:22 pm

I use Stitcher

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:29 pm

The stock app works great for me.

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:26 am

Been using Downcast for years.

eog

Post by eog » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:30 am

I was using pocket casts for a long time with no problems then I decided to try overcast and really liked the volume boost(this sets the EQ so that the spoken words are clearer) and trim silence(this basically removes all the dead space in the podcasts - amazing how much time it saves over time) features. However now that overcast has adds I am back to pocket casts. Since the last time I was using it pocket casts has also introduced volume boost and trim silence features. It also has a really good filtering system and good UI. I would recommend pocket casts.

saladdin

Post by saladdin » Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:31 am

cheesepep wrote:I have never seen the benefits of podcasts, so I never listen to them. In my car, I prefer music. I don't want people talking to me. At home, I prefer to read (not listen) the news. I can do so much faster and read only what I want. My friend, however, loves podcasts and listens to them every morning.
Life is funny. I dislike any music that isn't Led Zeppelin and 99% of time listen to talk radio.
Podcasts have opened me up to all types of better entertainment then music.
It takes all kinds, as they say.

KarenC

Post by KarenC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:09 am

Overcast.
"How much you know is less important than how clearly you understand where the borders of your ignorance begin." — Jason Zweig

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:13 am

I use iCatcher. It's paid ($1.99), and has no ads. I've been using it for many years. It is full-featured and well-maintained. It offers cloud-syncing, so it will "save my place" between devices.

Most of my podcasts are professional fiction podcasts, offering short stories or full-cast audio productions in sci-fi, fantasy, or horror. I also download and listen to select episodes of M*, Vanguard, and Masters in Business podcasts, but I skip many or most. I listen to the occasional French podcast as well, but the French genre podcast cupboard is fairly bare, and I get as bored with slightly-out-of-date news in French as I do in English.

Lately, I've actually listened to a lot of Audible books. There are a fair number available free with my Kindle Unlimited subscription.

runner9

Post by runner9 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:18 am

I use the built in app that comes on iphones.

davebo

Post by davebo » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:49 am

I started using iCatcher back in 2009-2010 I think. When I got a new phone I just used the apple podcast app, but that just ended up crashing so much that I went back to iCatcher. So far, so good.

Just sayin...

Post by Just sayin... » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:02 pm

I switched back and forth between several apps, and finally settled on Pocketcasts. Recently, they added a good play queue that you can pre-load with several shows, but the biggest advantage for me is that I can switch from the iPhone to the iPad to the desktop - and my place and podcasts are automatically synchronized between devices. My (unfulfilled) wish list includes a Sonos client which would allow me to stream my podcasts throughout my house. Podcasts are an excellent way for me to enjoy interesting material as I drive 3 hrs to "the big city" - most of which is out of cell service.

Go Blue 99

Post by Go Blue 99 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:20 pm

I tried a bunch and like PodCruncher the best so far.

dphmd

Post by dphmd » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:27 pm

Downcast. It's highly customizable -- maybe even too much.
Discipline is freedom.

WhyNotUs

Post by WhyNotUs » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:44 pm

The app that comes with the phone but I am not a heavy podcast user. I like them for car trips the most.
I own the next hot stock- VTSAX

Bammerman

Post by Bammerman » Wed Oct 19, 2016 5:15 pm

I'm quite happy using Apple's podcast app to listen to The History of the English Language. I only listen in my car, and all I have to do to start the podcast when I get into the car is to select Bluetooth as the source from my car's infotainment center.

Lemonaid56

Post by Lemonaid56 » Wed Oct 19, 2016 8:59 pm

Thanks for starting this thread!
I have used the stock Podcast app that came with my iPod. Many times I dislike it enough to use big words. Whenever they do an update of any kind to the app or just an OS update, it reloads all the podcasts I have already listened to! So frustrating. At times it just randomly reloads 'casts I listened to recently - thinking I liked them so much I must want to hear them again?
I was not aware I had other choices. This thread opened my eyes and I will search out these other systems
I listen to Podcasts frequently for updates in news, economics, entertainment - whatever. There is so much information out there why should I listen to a boring radio station when I could be educating myself on some topic, even obscure topics as I might find on Stuff You Should Know, or Things You Missed In History or the Judge John Hodgeman podcast.
Thanks again for starting this.

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:01 am

Overcast

lazydavid

Post by lazydavid » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:11 am

Lemonaid56 wrote:Thanks for starting this thread!
I have used the stock Podcast app that came with my iPod. Many times I dislike it enough to use big words.
When I dislike something strongly, I generally use small words. :twisted:

canderson

Post by canderson » Thu Oct 20, 2016 4:55 pm

Overcast is worth it simply for its speed settings. It can cut 6 minutes off an hour podcast without you noticing.

segfault

Post by segfault » Fri Oct 21, 2016 10:12 am

Pocket Casts is great. Apple really messed up the built-in podcast app with one of the iOS updates.

bltkmt

Post by bltkmt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:13 am

Spotify

Freefun

Post by Freefun » Thu Mar 01, 2018 8:40 am

Overcast and sometimes downcast. I listen often in my car and overcast has great apple watch app so it's easy to pause, resume etc without reaching for anything.
Remember when you wanted what you currently have?

TylerS7

Post by TylerS7 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:09 am

Overcast is probably the best free app, it's got great features and I loved its interface. I now use Pocket Casts (It was $3 or $4) because it allows me to cast directly to my google home in my kitchen. I wish Overcast had this function because I liked that app more.

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 am

I listen to a lot of podcasts, and I've never ventured beyond the Apple app.

However, I am hearing-challenged, and I sometimes have trouble hearing some speakers. So, when eog says:
eog wrote:
Tue Oct 18, 2016 7:30 am
I decided to try overcast and really liked the volume boost(this sets the EQ so that the spoken words are clearer
... that grabs my attention. Would that be helpful for me?

To take this a bit further: I listen to Audible a great deal, including when I'm going to sleep or when I wake up in the middle of the night. Instead of suffering from monkey mind/worries I listen to a book, and it usually puts me to sleep very quickly.

However, for this and for daytime use I use cheap earbuds that I buy at CVS for 10-15 dollars. They last for a few months, and when they begin to deteriorate, I get another set. But, I suspect that these cheapo earbuds are not the best way to listen to the spoken word. In fact, the packaging touts their bass frequencies, which may be good for music, but may not be so good for spoken word.

Can anyone recommend earbuds for Audible/podcasts?

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:03 am

Tried bunch of them. For my needs, there is nothing but Overcast
1) automatic download new episodes when on WiFi
2) plays episodes in chronological order
3) allows automatic deletion after play

One would think every podcast application would obviously have those three basic features but you will be wrong! And if they do have it, it certainly is not obvious how to set up an application that way.

I listen to local morning radio show on Overcast

Disadvantage? No Overcast for Android :-(

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:05 am

cheesepep wrote:
Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:04 pm
I have never seen the benefits of podcasts, so I never listen to them. In my car, I prefer music. I don't want people talking to me. At home, I prefer to read (not listen) the news. I can do so much faster and read only what I want. My friend, however, loves podcasts and listens to them every morning.
How is this reply helpful? Is there a reason why in general people feel a need to tell others how they are better than you?

Small Law Survivor

Post by Small Law Survivor » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:14 am

wrongfunds wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:03 am
Tried bunch of them. For my needs, there is nothing but Overcast
1) automatic download new episodes when on WiFi
2) plays episodes in chronological order
3) allows automatic deletion after play

One would think every podcast application would obviously have those three basic features but you will be wrong! And if they do have it, it certainly is not obvious how to set up an application that way.
The Apple podcast app does all these things as well.

wrongfunds

Post by wrongfunds » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:33 am

I could not get (2) to work reliably and had issues while playing without data access. May be Apple finally fixed it but I spent a week trying to set that application to work for me before finding Overcast.

randomizer

Post by randomizer » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 am

Ha, it never even occurred to me to use a non-Apple app for this. They invented podcasts! ;-)
87.5:12.5, EM tilt — HODL the course!

mrb09

Post by mrb09 » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:44 am

Small Law Survivor wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 9:51 am

However, for this and for daytime use I use cheap earbuds that I buy at CVS for 10-15 dollars. They last for a few months, and when they begin to deteriorate, I get another set. But, I suspect that these cheapo earbuds are not the best way to listen to the spoken word. In fact, the packaging touts their bass frequencies, which may be good for music, but may not be so good for spoken word.

Can anyone recommend earbuds for Audible/podcasts?
I have these: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M7 ... UTF8&psc=1

They come with an app that lets you set an equalizer for the headphones. I wear hearing aids due to high frequency hearing loss, but I can boost the highs and drop the lows enough for audible listening with these headphones.

MindTheGAAP

Post by MindTheGAAP » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:45 am

Overcast for many of the reasons noted above - speed settings, smart speed to remove silences. No complaints
"One of the funny things about the stock market is that every time one person buys, another sells, and both think they are astute" - William Feather

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:51 am

randomizer wrote:
Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:34 am
Ha, it never even occurred to me to use a non-Apple app for this. They invented podcasts! ;-)
Overcast.

I didn't understand it either until upgrading from an iPhone 4s to an 8. Whatever they changed in iOS between them, they severely degraded the Apple Podcasts app IMHO. I kept trying to use it for a few months, but I gave up and explored other options. My frustrations are that the native iOS app doesn't download new episodes like it used to (automatically), it doesn't delete played episodes like it used to (automatically), and I had some difficulty sorting episodes in playlists. It was unreliable and clunky. It seemed that every other episode I'd have to interact with the iOS Podcasts app in order to skip an already played episode or skip an episode that didn't download.

After trying Spotify, Overcast, Stitcher, and one or two others, I've settled on Overcast. It does have a limited web player, which since being introduced to, is now a "feature" that I prefer since I can't have a phone where I work, but I do have access to the internet.

One feature I can't stand to not have is automatically populated playlists. I don't understand how people take the time to manually add podcasts to playlists every day -- many of the other apps I used seem to only allow manual addition of episodes instead of "subscribing."

OnceARunner

Post by OnceARunner » Thu Mar 01, 2018 10:55 am

Overcast. I had given up on podcasts until I discovered it.

texasdiver

Post by texasdiver » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:37 am

Well, I've been using the stock apple podcast app for years and didn't know/think there was an alternative. Just downloaded overcast and going to give it a try.

furwut

Post by furwut » Thu Mar 01, 2018 5:59 pm

‘Sodes is a new podcast app that is getting favorable mention.
‘sodes is a new podcast app aiming to simplify things for casual listeners - 9to5Mac
https://9to5mac.com/2018/02/14/sodes-podcast-app-ios/