USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card [Update]

Non-investing personal finance issues including insurance, credit, real estate, taxes, employment and legal issues such as trusts and wills.
Crisium

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Post by Crisium »

Oh yeah, gotta thank you guys for pointing this out. I got it a little over a month ago and having 2.5% on anything is quite the upgrade. I was using a USAA Amex with 5% gas, 2% groceries, and 1% everything else. So now I just use that for gas.
millervt

Post by millervt »

anyone know what constitutes a direct deposit for the purposes of getting 2.5%? Does it have to be a true DD, or do general ACH count also?
Topic Author
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

Nthomas wrote:Is the cashback redeemable to the dollar level or is it in $25 increments like the AMEX blue cash preferred?
I've been using the card for about 2 months now. The cash back reward is redeemable to the nearest dollar, and you can redeem it whenever you want. 2.5% on everything is quite nice.
Topic Author
SurferLife

Post by SurferLife »

llama wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Is this card now available in CA? I just visited USAA and after I logged out I noticed a little "Want a card? We have a special offer..." box - I clicked it :wink:
I have this offer, and in the fine print, footnote #1 states "This product is currently available to members residing in the following states: AL, AZ, CO, GA, ID, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, PA, SC, TN and WA. It will become available in additional states at a later date."

Maybe a later date is now? :happy

I found it at this URL (requires USAA login): https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_li ... _signature
Interesting... I was in the initial rollout of the card and I am in TX.
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

millervt wrote:anyone know what constitutes a direct deposit for the purposes of getting 2.5%? Does it have to be a true DD, or do general ACH count also?
From the website:
Within 90 days of opening your credit card account, you must establish a monthly qualifying direct deposit of at least $1,000 to your USAA Bank checking account. A qualifying direct deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 that you initiate with your employer, a government entity or an external financial institution. Funds transfers between USAA accounts are not qualifying direct deposits.
Still waiting on this to come to TX,

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --
Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree »

Not in my state yet, either. I was told that it will continue rolling out to additional states next week, though they couldn't tell me if my state would be included. I wonder why the limitations based on state and not some other factor like years of membership, credit, total assets at USAA, etc. Easier, I guess.
Laren

Post by Laren »

Still waiting for this card to come to my state - hope it's soon! I'm also really hoping that if I set up a regular transfer from Fidelity or Schwab that it will fulfill the direct deposit requirement. Has anyone tested that out yet?
Candor

Post by Candor »

I logged on a few days ago and it is now offered in Virginia.
The fool, with all his other faults, has this also - he is always getting ready to live. - Seneca Epistles < c. 65AD
EFF_fan81

Post by EFF_fan81 »

My wife called today. They said it was a promo that's been quite successful and they plan on rolling it out to more states, but they wouldn't say when...

I'm grumpy that PA and VA have this but MD doesn't. Plus we pay higher taxes! :annoyed
2tall4economy

Post by 2tall4economy »

In Michigan it's available, in New York it's not. I switched the mailing address to my vacation house in Michigan and was able to apply and get it. When the app came up I switched the mailing address back to my New York address. App went through and card is coming to my New York address.

Not suggesting you do anything morally wrong but there's a good chance anyone can get one this way.
You can do anything you want in life. The rub is that there are consequences.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Still don't see it available in Utah. Looking forward to this one. It would be nice to have it by tax time so I can pay my taxes with it.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
dekecarver

Post by dekecarver »

I checked the website and do not see that it is available in Virginia, as noted above, am I missing something? I do see the 1.5% card.
corn18

Post by corn18 »

2tall4economy wrote:In Michigan it's available, in New York it's not. I switched the mailing address to my vacation house in Michigan and was able to apply and get it. When the app came up I switched the mailing address back to my New York address. App went through and card is coming to my New York address.

Not suggesting you do anything morally wrong but there's a good chance anyone can get one this way.
Thanks for the tip. I have an apartment in MI where I work and changed the mailing address to that. Signed up and then changed it back to my home in Cincinnati.

Corn
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

Official list: AL, AZ, CO, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, NV, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

My credit is frozen, but I would gladly unfreeze to get this card! :beer
Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus »

sunny_socal wrote:Official list: AL, AZ, CO, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, NV, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

My address is in HI, I chose HI when prompted, and it is not offered.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Proud owner of a 2.5% cashback USAA card.

Thanks for the heads up OP, as I would not have known otherwise. I'll just keep my Amex Cash Preferred card for groceries and gas and use this card to pay my bills and any other purchases.
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

Cunobelinus wrote:
sunny_socal wrote:Official list: AL, AZ, CO, GA, HI, ID, IL, IN, KS, LA, MI, NM, NV, NY, PA, RI, SC, TN, TX and WA

I live in TX, and despite what the website says, it is NOT yet available in TX, according to the CSR from USAA I just got off the phone with. :confused

She was unable to tell me when the offer would be available. I asked her to pass a message to the responsible marketing/website people to ensure their webpages were accurate.

YMMV,

o
-- Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day; teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime. --
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

oncorhynchus wrote:
Cunobelinus wrote:

I live in TX, and despite what the website says, it is NOT yet available in TX, according to the CSR from USAA I just got off the phone with. :confused

She was unable to tell me when the offer would be available. I asked her to pass a message to the responsible marketing/website people to ensure their webpages were accurate.

YMMV,

o
I find it strange that VA, MD, and CA are not on the list. These states must have high concentrations of USAA members.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
dbr

Post by dbr »

VictoriaF wrote:
oncorhynchus wrote:
Cunobelinus wrote:

YMMV,

o
I find it strange that VA, MD, and CA are not on the list. These states must have high concentrations of USAA members.

Victoria
Maybe for some reason it is easier to roll out to a smaller population at first.
oncorhynchus

Post by oncorhynchus »

VictoriaF wrote:

Victoria
There's certainly a large number of military servicemembers and retirees in those states, USAA's reported target market.

I don't necessarily mind a phased rollout, but I've become more and more disappointed with USAA's overall product the past few years. Despite over 25 years with them, I've been thinking of moving my banking wholesale to Ally because of its better rates and decent reputation. This 2.5% cashback Visa card is a very good reason not to move; I'm just not sure how much longer I'll wait.

o
Ace_Hotel_33

Post by Ace_Hotel_33 »

On the phone right now with customer service. The lady helping me is confused as to why I'm ineligible (Meet all the requirements). I'm assuming that they are preparing to launch the card in Texas for the month of February and someone jumped the gun updating their website.

It would be great to get some kind of concrete date for Texas. I'll update if I get any useful information.

Edit: their to they are

Update: They do not have a set date for a Texas rollout.
chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 »

Available in texas now :)
summit

Post by summit »

Thanks to those who updated that this card is now available in Texas. I have been eagerly awaiting this card since I first heard about it last year and was just approved. I feel like 2.5% across the board is good enough I don't have much of an incentive to keep any other card in my wallet anymore. I have doubts as to whether this card will be profitable for USAA in the long-term, but as for now I am quite happy.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Still not available in Utah. I think they hate me.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Jags4186

Post by Jags4186 »

How are the ancillary benefits of this card vs. Citi products?

The things I like about Citi Double Cash vs say the Fidelity 2% Visa is longer extended warranty, price protection, and longer period of purchase protection. Not a fan of the 3% foreign transaction fee though which USAA does not have.

This would be a tough one for me. I have several rotating 5% cards (Chase, Discover, and Citi), I have cards that give me 3% at grocery stores and convenience stores (consumers credit union visa, AMEX Blue Cash Everyday), and Citi Doublecash and Fidelity Visa at 2% for everything else. I wonder how much the benefit would be other than to slim down the wallet.
prettybogle

Post by prettybogle »

I am not understanding why this is a great offer. Bank of America cash rewards gives 2% on groceries, penfed gives 5% on gas. Chase, discover do rotation on 5% categories. Can anyone help me if i am missing something here ?
brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart »

prettybogle wrote:I am not understanding why this is a great offer. Bank of America cash rewards gives 2% on groceries, penfed gives 5% on gas. Chase, discover do rotation on 5% categories. Can anyone help me if i am missing something here ?

I like simple.

Having to stand on my head, scroll through the rolodex and pick a card based upon what day of the month or where I am at doesn't fit me well. :D

Slight exaggeration-BL, I like simple with my wallet.
brew

Post by brew »

2tall4economy wrote:In Michigan it's available, in New York it's not. I switched the mailing address to my vacation house in Michigan and was able to apply and get it. When the app came up I switched the mailing address back to my New York address. App went through and card is coming to my New York address.

Are you saying you changed your profile mailing address to MI, and then went to the credit card product list and there it was?

EDIT: Yup, appears to work for a TX address.
BUBear29

Post by BUBear29 »

chrisdds98 wrote:Available in texas now :)
Just got approved for $20k! Been waiting on this card for a long time! Can finally get rid of my Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Double Cash to use just the Limitless and the Amex BCP
There is no dignity quite so impressive, and no one independence quite so important, as living within your means.
bzargarcia

Post by bzargarcia »

BUBear29 wrote:
chrisdds98 wrote:Available in texas now :)
Just got approved for $20k! Been waiting on this card for a long time! Can finally get rid of my Chase Sapphire Preferred and Citi Double Cash to use just the Limitless and the Amex BCP
Another TX resident. I've been checking every few days and today was the first day the offer was available to me. :happy
Gort

Post by Gort »

Just got mine! My understanding of the $1,000 minimum monthly direct deposit includes ACH transfers which qualifies your account for the 2.5% cash rewards. Anybody having trouble meeting this requirement with ACH transfers?
Van-Guard23

Post by Van-Guard23 »

Finally! Been keeping track of this for a while and it is finally available in Hawaii. Should get mine in a few days.
"I have only come here seeking knowledge. Things they wouldn't teach me of in college" | The Police "Wrapped Around Your Finger"
sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal »

How about Cali?
Gort

Post by Gort »

Gort wrote:Just got mine! My understanding of the $1,000 minimum monthly direct deposit includes ACH transfers which qualifies your account for the 2.5% cash rewards. Anybody having trouble meeting this requirement with ACH transfers?
For those interested...just spoke with USAA telephone rep. ACH is OK. :happy
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Jags4186 wrote:How are the ancillary benefits of this card vs. Citi products?

The things I like about Citi Double Cash vs say the Fidelity 2% Visa is longer extended warranty, price protection, and longer period of purchase protection. Not a fan of the 3% foreign transaction fee though which USAA does not have.

This would be a tough one for me. I have several rotating 5% cards (Chase, Discover, and Citi), I have cards that give me 3% at grocery stores and convenience stores (consumers credit union visa, AMEX Blue Cash Everyday), and Citi Doublecash and Fidelity Visa at 2% for everything else. I wonder how much the benefit would be other than to slim down the wallet.
I've tried to use extended warranty and price protection features before. It wasn't worth the time commitment necessary to use the programs (through Discover).

Where does this card fit in your long list? Pay bills (that have no credit card fee such as cellphone, internet, electricity, etc) and get 2.5% back. I don't even have to pull out the card all the time if I just use auto-pay.

I personally use 3 cards:
Amex Blue preferred cash - 6% back on groceries, 3% back on gas (except some grocery store gas stations are ringing up as groceries and giving me 6% back on gas too).
USAA - limitless cash back rewards to pay my bills and non-grocery store purchases at 2.5% cashback
Discover - 5% revolving specifically for Amazon and Hardware stores when they come up (this was my first cashback card and used to be my card for all purchases until the other cards came along).
corn18

Post by corn18 »

Got mine last week. With an annual card spend of $120k, I like this card a lot.
Consistently sets low goals and fails to achieve them.
Slacker

Post by Slacker »

Jags4186 wrote:How are the ancillary benefits of this card vs. Citi products?

From the "Guide to Benefits"
Rental car insurance (physical damage and theft) for up to 31 days, worldwide
Identity theft resolution service
120 days price protection
Doubles original store/manufacturers warranty up to one year
Concierge service
Travel Assistance service
Worldwide automatic travel accident, baggage delay & trip cancellation/interruption insurance
- (maximum $500,000 on loss of life, limbs or eyesight)
- $100 per day for baggage up to 3 days
- trip cancellation is up to $1500 for a qualifying reason (illness, death in the family, injury not caused by participation in sports)
yearzero

Post by yearzero »

Gort wrote:
Gort wrote:Just got mine! My understanding of the $1,000 minimum monthly direct deposit includes ACH transfers which qualifies your account for the 2.5% cash rewards. Anybody having trouble meeting this requirement with ACH transfers?
I was just approved for this card. Live in NV. So, can I just ACH transfer $1,000 a month automatically on a set day from my current bank (WF) to the USAA Rewards Checking account that I set up with the card, keep it there for a while, then transfer it back?

The terms are a bit vague: A qualifying direct deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 that you initiate with your employer, a government entity or an external financial institution. Fund transfers between USAA accounts are not qualifying direct deposits.

Thanks.
"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"- Muse-Knights of Cydonia
Gort

Post by Gort »

yearzero wrote:
Gort wrote:
I was just approved for this card. Live in NV. So, can I just ACH transfer $1,000 a month automatically on a set day from my current bank (WF) to the USAA Rewards Checking account that I set up with the card, keep it there for a while, then transfer it back?

The terms are a bit vague: A qualifying direct deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 that you initiate with your employer, a government entity or an external financial institution. Fund transfers between USAA accounts are not qualifying direct deposits.

Thanks.
My understanding is yes, you can. My plan is to transfer an amount equal to the balance on the USAA monthly credit card statement from my Chase checking account to my USAA checking account. It will always be more than $1,000. Wait a couple days to make sure the transfer went OK and then use the USAA website to internally payoff the credit card balance from the checking account. I just tested the ACH transfer process by sending a small dollar amount from Chase checking to USAA checking account. All went well and the money was posted and availablle in 2 days. I like the Chase bank website for paying bills and I have a couple dozen merchant info accounts already set up in their bill paying service so I'm keeping Chase as my primary bank for now.
yearzero

Post by yearzero »

Thanks Gort. Good idea to just transfer over the payment amount from primary bank. I'll just do the same.
"Don't waste your time, or time will waste you"- Muse-Knights of Cydonia
j9j

Post by j9j »

Nice, I wish I was eligible to join USAA. My primary is FIDO 2% and I switch around between Discover, Amex, Chase Ink and CAP1(no FOREX) depending on the purchase. Since travel rewards are not as important to me, this USAA card would be the best simplify everything card.
lairdb

Post by lairdb »

j9j wrote:Nice, I wish I was eligible to join USAA. My primary is FIDO 2% and I switch around between Discover, Amex, Chase Ink and CAP1(no FOREX) depending on the purchase. Since travel rewards are not as important to me, this USAA card would be the best simplify everything card.
Huh -- that's me as well (with a different list of alternates.) Fidelity's 2% works pretty well, but that half a percent is about $200 per year, plus Elan (Fidelity's card operator) customer service is miserable.

One odd exception: I'm a current USAA customer despite not being a member. (Odd hangover from a few years back when they let non-members sign up for credit cards. Hardly use it, but have kept it open.) Has anybody seen in black and white that there's a membership requirement? Not just a customer and bank account requirement?
Hat

Post by Hat »

lairdb wrote:One odd exception: I'm a current USAA customer despite not being a member. (Odd hangover from a few years back when they let non-members sign up for credit cards. Hardly use it, but have kept it open.) Has anybody seen in black and white that there's a membership requirement? Not just a customer and bank account requirement?
For banking-only members, the apply button will open a page which states that this product is not available to you (even if this card is available in your state).
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

Ok, I've just signed up for the card and was approved online within about 2-5 minutes. The checking account transfer will take a few days and then I will make a direct deposit from one checking account in my home state ton he USAA one.

One thing I noticed is that Sapphire Preferred has better travel insurance AND primary CDW for car rentals, so we may still keep that card. This USAA and most other cards have CDW secondary to your personal auto policy. Just A heads up for folks to consider in deciding which cards they will keep.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

HIinvestor wrote:Ok, I've just signed up for the card and was approved online within about 2-5 minutes. The checking account transfer will take a few days and then I will make a direct deposit from one checking account in my home state ton he USAA one.

One thing I noticed is that Sapphire Preferred has better travel insurance AND primary CDW for car rentals, so we may still keep that card. This USAA and most other cards have CDW secondary to your personal auto policy. Just A heads up for folks to consider in deciding which cards they will keep.
I have a CSP and will eventually get a CSR. Even if I get the USAA 2.5% cash back card, I will still use CSP for travel because it gives double points which I value as at least 1.5 cent/point; with CSR it will be triple points. The difference in the rental coverage is another reason for using CSx for travel. Thank you for pointing it out.

Victoria
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor »

When we do package tours and you have to pay a lot of nonrefundable deposits, it's nice to use the Chase Sapphire card, just in case we need to use travel insurance. We have not needed the primary CDW but like it, just in case as well. $95/year is well worth the free points and travel we've received from that card.
AngryThomas

Post by AngryThomas »

I just got an auto loan a few days ago and just signed up for this card today. Does it pay 2.5% IMMEDIATELY, or do I need to wait until I can ACH or direct deposit $1000? I think the answer is that it does pay immediately -- I think I read somewhere in the process that I "will lose" the 2.5% if I don't get $1000 in there by such and such a date (in May) -- which implies that current purchases will be 2.5%.
michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 »

sperry8 wrote:
SurferLife wrote:
sperry8 wrote:Great rate but the direct deposit requirement rules me out. Retirees don't get direct deposit. Why make such a requirement and rule out all retirees? :confused
Are you a military retiree?
No, my father was in the military and that is how I qualified.
dbr wrote:
sperry8 wrote:Great rate but the direct deposit requirement rules me out. Retirees don't get direct deposit. Why make such a requirement and rule out all retirees? :confused
A retiree can receive direct deposit of Social Security, pension, and annuity payments and direct deposit of any automatic withdrawals arranged with an investment company. There are probably others. If you are currently receiving checks in the mail for such things direct deposit might be a good idea to prevent stolen or lost checks, issues with change of address, and so on.

In fact it is now ILLEGAL (?!?!) to continue to receive Federal benefits by paper check: https://fiscal.treasury.gov/godirect/

Note: "If you do not comply, the Treasury Department will contact you directly and may send you a Direct Express® card."
I do not get social security or pension. I retired before 65 and am not yet eligible. I have no way to get anything directly deposited. Not sure why USAA would want to block me (and others like me) from the cc :confused
They want to block you because 2.5% cash back is a lot and they are only offering it to people that have an active checking account with them. They are a publicly traded company in it for a profit.
cmublitz

Post by cmublitz »

https://mobile.usaa.com/inet/wc/credit_ ... irect=true
What is a Qualifying Direct Deposit?

A Qualifying Direct Deposit is a single electronic transfer of at least $1,000 into your USAA checking account that you initiate with your employer, a government entity, or an external financial institution.
Couldn't you just have an account at another financial institution/credit union/whatever push $1K into your USAA checking account if you don't have an employer?
sperry8

Post by sperry8 »

michaeljc70 wrote:
sperry8 wrote:
SurferLife wrote:
Are you a military retiree?
No, my father was in the military and that is how I qualified.
dbr wrote:
A retiree can receive direct deposit of Social Security, pension, and annuity payments and direct deposit of any automatic withdrawals arranged with an investment company. There are probably others. If you are currently receiving checks in the mail for such things direct deposit might be a good idea to prevent stolen or lost checks, issues with change of address, and so on.

In fact it is now ILLEGAL (?!?!) to continue to receive Federal benefits by paper check: https://fiscal.treasury.gov/godirect/

Note: "If you do not comply, the Treasury Department will contact you directly and may send you a Direct Express® card."
I do not get social security or pension. I retired before 65 and am not yet eligible. I have no way to get anything directly deposited. Not sure why USAA would want to block me (and others like me) from the cc :confused
They want to block you because 2.5% cash back is a lot and they are only offering it to people that have an active checking account with them. They are a publicly traded company in it for a profit.
Of course. But I have active auto and renters insurance with them. How does direct deposit of one check make them money? Perhaps allow me to do bill pay instead. Seems absurd to block someone who does not get any checks (I'm under 65).
BH Contests: 23 #89 of 607 | 22 #512 of 674 | 21 #66 of 636 |20 #253/664 |19 #233/645 |18 #150/493 |17 #516/647 |16 #121/610 |15 #18/552 |14 #225/503 |13 #383/433 |12 #366/410 |11 #113/369 |10 #53/282