USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
flamesabers

Re: USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

Post by flamesabers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:40 am

cpants wrote:I already have a USAA Cashback Rewards AmEx. Can I get them to just convert that to the new 2.5% card? I already meet the direct deposit and geographical requirements.
I would suggest keeping both cards if possible. The AmEx card gives you 5% cashback on gas and military base purchases (up to $3k of purchases).

FoolishJumper

Post by FoolishJumper » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 am

cmublitz wrote:
cpants wrote:I already have a USAA Cashback Rewards AmEx. Can I get them to just convert that to the new 2.5% card? I already meet the direct deposit and geographical requirements.
We tried to do that and the USAA representative said they couldn't. Maybe I didn't speak the right magic words, but we ended up having to just apply for the new 2.5% Limitless card and then separately cancel the inferior 1.5% card.
First of all, you're unlikely to be able to convert an American Express to a Visa. I called and made this request in converting my current USAA Visa (that used to be a USAA Mastercard) to this new 2.5% Visa, and the representative I spoke said explicitly that they used to allow that, but stopped some time ago (I believe in 2015), and USAA wouldn't allow that again until mid-2018, so based on that discussion - it's impossible to convert from one card to another at USAA at the moment.

cmublitz

Post by cmublitz » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:57 am

FoolishJumper wrote:First of all, you're unlikely to be able to convert an American Express to a Visa. I called and made this request in converting my current USAA Visa (that used to be a USAA Mastercard) to this new 2.5% Visa, and the representative I spoke said explicitly that they used to allow that, but stopped some time ago (I believe in 2015), and USAA wouldn't allow that again until mid-2018, so based on that discussion - it's impossible to convert from one card to another at USAA at the moment.
Yeah, we tried to flip the flat 1.5% USAA Visa to the 2.5% USAA Visa, so I thought it would have been easy for them. The improved reward % was worth the slight credit score hit and hassle though for us, so we made the switch anyway with the cancellation.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:10 am

cmublitz wrote:
FoolishJumper wrote:First of all, you're unlikely to be able to convert an American Express to a Visa. I called and made this request in converting my current USAA Visa (that used to be a USAA Mastercard) to this new 2.5% Visa, and the representative I spoke said explicitly that they used to allow that, but stopped some time ago (I believe in 2015), and USAA wouldn't allow that again until mid-2018, so based on that discussion - it's impossible to convert from one card to another at USAA at the moment.
Yeah, we tried to flip the flat 1.5% USAA Visa to the 2.5% USAA Visa, so I thought it would have been easy for them. The improved reward % was worth the slight credit score hit and hassle though for us, so we made the switch anyway with the cancellation.
Have you had the 1.5% USAA Visa for a long time? I got the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card years ago as a spare card and to build up my total amount of credit. It doesn't have any cashback rewards, so I only make a small purchase on it every once in a while to keep it active. I've been debating whether to cancel this card and go with the 2.5% Visa since I recently opened a USAA checking account and can fulfill the $1k monthly deposit requirement. I don't want to decrease my average age of credit accounts, but I wonder if USAA might turn me down if I try to get a fourth credit card with them.

donaldson

Post by donaldson » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:29 am

flamesabers wrote:
I would suggest keeping both cards if possible. The AmEx card gives you 5% cashback on gas and military base purchases (up to $3k of purchases).
I second this. I used to use the Amex for gas (5%) and groceries (2%), but going forward I will use it for only gas.

Those that tried to convert the Preferred Cash Rewards (1.5%) Visa to the Limitless (2.5%) Visa are correct that USAA will not do this. I asked both in writing and over the phone about it, and was told I had to apply for the new one separately, which I did. However, I am not cancelling the Preferred Visa so as not to impact my credit rating down the line.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:49 am

donaldson wrote:Those that tried to convert the Preferred Cash Rewards (1.5%) Visa to the Limitless (2.5%) Visa are correct that USAA will not do this. I asked both in writing and over the phone about it, and was told I had to apply for the new one separately, which I did. However, I am not cancelling the Preferred Visa so as not to impact my credit rating down the line.
I sent USAA an email about converting my Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card to the Limitless Visa. Based on the posts in this thread I'm expecting them to tell me no. However, I also mentioned I'm interested in a Visa that has a higher cashback then my current 1% Visa Signature Card. I'm curious to see if they tell me to wait a year since I got the Cashback Rewards Plus American Express Card just last month or whether I should decrease the credit limit on my Rates Advantage Card and then apply for the Limitless Visa. I don't have any issue with decreasing the credit limit on the Rates Advantage Card as I don't use it anymore because it doesn't have any reward features.

TF Hutch

Post by TF Hutch » Sat Apr 15, 2017 10:53 am

USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

DOES NOT REWARD TAX PAYMENTS!

See FAQ re; qualified payments. After paying my 1040 and quarterly Federal income taxes I found I was rewarded 1% of the credit card fee.
An expensive lesson learned to be sure.
Hutch | A fool and his funds are soon parted! - Thomas Tusser (English Farmer and Writer. 1524-1580)

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:56 pm

It looks like my credit score had a slight increase since I applied for USAA Cashback Rewards Plus Amex card, so I went ahead and applied for the Limitless Visa. I've been approved approved and I'm getting a slightly higher credit limit than what I got with my Amex card. :happy
TF Hutch wrote:USAA 2.5% Cash Back Credit Card

See FAQ re; qualified payments. After paying my 1040 and quarterly Federal income taxes I found I was rewarded 1% of the credit card fee.
As a rule, I avoid making payments with a credit card when a convenience fee is applied. You never know when it can backfire on you and you end up paying more. Unlike with merchants, it's not like not people are going to stop paying taxes if the government doesn't accept credit card payments. :P

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:54 pm

Well that stinks. That was the whole point. Well, mostly. My tax payments are probably twice what I put on credit cards for everything else all year.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Sun Apr 16, 2017 7:50 pm

how do i find the FAQ?

i don't see anything on this page:

https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/credit_car ... ards_terms

and... why 1%?

brokendirtdart

Post by brokendirtdart » Sun Apr 16, 2017 8:26 pm

That is interesting and I just confirmed that I only received 1% for both the federal tax payment and the convenience fee. At least I am only out less than $20 so it is an easy lesson learned for next year.

FAQs within the rewards section:
What are Qualifying Purchases?
"Qualifying Purchases" are purchases that post to your account and meet the merchant criteria outlined in the Terms and Conditions of your specific rewards program.

Qualifying Purchases do not include Payments, Balance Transfers, Cash Advances (including Convenience Checks), ATM Cash Disbursements, Money Transfers, Truck Stop Transactions, Gaming Transactions, Tax Payments, Finance Charges, Fees, and purchases of other cash equivalents, even if used to purchase goods or services.
What are truck stop transactions?

chrisdds98

Post by chrisdds98 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 11:27 pm

d'oh! Does this apply to the citi 1+1 card as well? I might just have to start mailing my payments again :(

donaldson

Post by donaldson » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:11 pm

Interestingly enough, as of the time I am writing this, there is no mention of tax payments on the Limitless Visa terms and conditions:
USAA wrote: Qualifying Purchases do not include: Balance Transfers, Cash Advances (including Convenience Checks), ATM Cash Disbursements, Money Transfers, Truck Stop Transactions, Gaming Transactions, Finance Charges, Fees, and purchases of other cash equivalents, even if used to purchase goods or services.
Transactions that are not Qualifying Purchases do not earn any Cash Back.
On other cards, tax payments are still mentioned. Still not sure why a 1 percent reward was given, since according to those terms, anything not considered a qualifying purchase earns no cash back.

bayview

Post by bayview » Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:49 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:Nope. Can't get it through the app either. I think USAA hates Utahns.
And Virginians.

Victoria
They seem to be fond of South Carolinians, but not North.

Good grief, they've been getting my paycheck via direct deposit for 15 years now. C'mon, guys.
The continuous execution of a sound strategy gives you the benefit of the strategy. That's what it's all about. --Rick Ferri

Hat

Post by Hat » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:42 pm

Hat wrote:
lairdb wrote:One odd exception: I'm a current USAA customer despite not being a member. (Odd hangover from a few years back when they let non-members sign up for credit cards. Hardly use it, but have kept it open.) Has anybody seen in black and white that there's a membership requirement? Not just a customer and bank account requirement?
For banking-only members, the apply button will open a page which states that this product is not available to you (even if this card is available in your state).
Some banking-only members are now reporting that in the last few days the application link is working for those in the pilot states.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:22 pm

bayview wrote:
VictoriaF wrote:
White Coat Investor wrote:Nope. Can't get it through the app either. I think USAA hates Utahns.
And Virginians.

Victoria
They seem to be fond of South Carolinians, but not North.

Good grief, they've been getting my paycheck via direct deposit for 15 years now. C'mon, guys.
Is it state regulations that influence what residents get first access to a new credit card?
Hat wrote:
Hat wrote:
lairdb wrote:One odd exception: I'm a current USAA customer despite not being a member. (Odd hangover from a few years back when they let non-members sign up for credit cards. Hardly use it, but have kept it open.) Has anybody seen in black and white that there's a membership requirement? Not just a customer and bank account requirement?
For banking-only members, the apply button will open a page which states that this product is not available to you (even if this card is available in your state).
Some banking-only members are now reporting that in the last few days the application link is working for those in the pilot states.
If that's the case, it's good timing I decided to apply yesterday.

Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer » Tue Apr 18, 2017 7:56 am

flamesabers wrote:
cmublitz wrote:
Have you had the 1.5% USAA Visa for a long time? I got the USAA Rate Advantage Visa Platinum Card years ago as a spare card and to build up my total amount of credit. It doesn't have any cashback rewards, so I only make a small purchase on it every once in a while to keep it active. I've been debating whether to cancel this card and go with the 2.5% Visa since I recently opened a USAA checking account and can fulfill the $1k monthly deposit requirement. I don't want to decrease my average age of credit accounts, but I wonder if USAA might turn me down if I try to get a fourth credit card with them.

USAA will only extend a total of 50k total credit (my understand based on some items i read, i could be wrong). if you don't have enough left for a new card, first call and talk with them..

birdog

Post by birdog » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:40 am

I already had a checking account with USAA but was thinking of transferring it to Alliant to get a better interest rate until I heard about the 2.5% USAA Visa. (Requirements, as we know, are the USAA checking account and monthly direct deposit of at least $1K.) I applied online for and was approved for the USAA Limitless 2.5% cash back Visa from USAA. They say "it's in the mail". I'm self-employed and have a business checking account with Chase. I just set up a monthly auto-transfer of $1K from my Chase business account to my USAA Checking account to fulfill the requirement to get the full 2.5% cash back on the Visa card. (I confirmed from USAA that me moving money electronically from my account at Chase to USAA monthly would satisfy the requirement.) What a great card. I feel like I'm cheating someone by getting 2.5% cash back. We charge most everything and pay the balance off every month so this will be a nice bonus. For those retired or not getting direct deposits from an employer, I would think you could do something similar and just transfer in $1K each month from another banking institution. Possibly from a high-yield online checking account you have or create with Alliant or Ally, for example. This would be a way around not getting a true direct deposit as most would think of it.

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Apr 18, 2017 8:46 am

I get 5% back on the Amazon Visa card. They are an effective enough vendor that this card plus free two day shipping on Prime membership plus other benefits is a good deal. No one actually imagines these things are not paid for somewhere in the wash. Probably those losing out are anyone who does not opt for some set of benefits or another.

Also it has been four or five years now that we have actually paid cash for an airplane ticket. You can earn so many points on credit card bonuses that it is a real puzzle how to get rid of them.

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Tue Apr 18, 2017 10:42 am

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote:
flamesabers wrote:
cmublitz wrote:

USAA will only extend a total of 50k total credit (my understand based on some items i read, i could be wrong). if you don't have enough left for a new card, first call and talk with them..
For anyone who needs to get below the $50k total credit limit, there's an option on the website to decrease the credit limit on one of your existing USAA cards.
dbr wrote:I get 5% back on the Amazon Visa card. They are an effective enough vendor that this card plus free two day shipping on Prime membership plus other benefits is a good deal.
Are you talking about the Amazon Visa or Amazon Store card? Amazon Visa only offers 3% cash rebate on Amazon purchases. Amazon Store (which is what I have) gives me 5% cash rebate on Amazon purchases.

Hat

Post by Hat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:23 pm

dbr wrote:I get 5% back on the Amazon Visa card. They are an effective enough vendor that this card plus free two day shipping on Prime membership plus other benefits is a good deal.
flamesabers wrote: Are you talking about the Amazon Visa or Amazon Store card? Amazon Visa only offers 3% cash rebate on Amazon purchases. Amazon Store (which is what I have) gives me 5% cash rebate on Amazon purchases.
The Amazon Visa offers 5% cash back on Amazon purchases for prime members and 3% without prime.

Hat

Post by Hat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:02 am

Soon2BXProgrammer wrote: USAA will only extend a total of 50k total credit (my understand based on some items i read, i could be wrong). if you don't have enough left for a new card, first call and talk with them..
My experience with USAA is that their CSRs' information is largely inaccurate and inconsistent on topics such as max credit limit, total number of cards, and acceptance criteria. IMHO, the internet has been a more informative and reliable source of information.

Despite their size, USAA does not allow features such as conversions, realloactions, or reconsideration. Speaking directly with underwriting is also not permitted.

VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:15 pm

According to Doctor of Credit, https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-us ... -2-5-rate/ , this card may become available nation-wide on 17 September 2017. Stay tuned,

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)

djmbob

Post by djmbob » Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:20 pm

Wow! Thanks so much Victoria!!
I have been holding my breath and am pretty black and purple now! :D
Cheers,
Ray

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Thu Sep 07, 2017 1:08 pm

I'll be curious to see the final details on the new ways to qualify for the 2.5% cashback:
There will be additional ways to qualify for the 2.5% cash back rate:

Receive a direct deposit of $1,000 or more (current requirement)
Receive $2,000 total deposits of any size
Average daily balance of an unknown amount
Having insurance and some brokerage products.
https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-us ... -2-5-rate/

I find it strange that even though I already have this card, I haven't heard anything about this directly from USAA. :confused

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Thu Sep 07, 2017 3:17 pm

VictoriaF wrote:
Thu Sep 07, 2017 12:15 pm
According to Doctor of Credit, https://www.doctorofcredit.com/rumor-us ... -2-5-rate/ , this card may become available nation-wide on 17 September 2017. Stay tuned,

Victoria
Oh please please please! :mrgreen:

Anyone know what credit bureaus should be unfrozen when applying for this card?

Laren

Post by Laren » Thu Sep 07, 2017 11:14 pm

Yay! I've been waiting on this card, and it's been so long since they've added any states I was afraid it had just fizzled out. I got the Alliant card instead in the meantime - for the first year it's 3% and beats the USAA card, but long term I think the USAA card is better because after the first year, the Alliant card drops to 2.5% and adds an annual fee. And if USAA can simplify (or at least expand) the hoops you have to jump through to get the full 2.5%, so much the better!

Saving$

Post by Saving$ » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:17 pm

One interesting data point regarding this card - it does not show up on an Equifax credit report.

Although USAA does report to Equifax, because my USAA checking account shows up on the Equifax report as a savings account. It is the only checking /savings account that show up on any of the three reporting agency reports.

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm

Victoria, you just made my day. I've been checking the USAA website multiple times per month for almost a year to see when it would expand eligibility to NC. There seemed to be a regular pattern of adding new states until it just stopped around April. I thought it might have stalled or been cancelled.

Definitely looking forward to making this my daily spending card.

djmbob

Post by djmbob » Fri Sep 08, 2017 9:31 pm

Savings$,
My USAA credit cards both show up on all my credit reports, plus my old closed USAA cc's from years past.
Cheers,
Ray

takeshi

Post by takeshi » Mon Sep 11, 2017 7:49 am

It's on all 3 of my reports as well.

tj

Post by tj » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:17 am

All new accounts show up on all your reports but they don't typically hard pull all 3 to process your application. If I recall correctly, USAA uses EQ.

hudson

Post by hudson » Mon Sep 11, 2017 8:33 am

Dendritic Tree wrote:
Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:43 pm
Victoria, you just made my day. I've been checking the USAA website multiple times per month for almost a year to see when it would expand eligibility to NC. There seemed to be a regular pattern of adding new states until it just stopped around April. I thought it might have stalled or been cancelled.

Definitely looking forward to making this my daily spending card.
Yes! Thanks Victoria!
If you use your card for everything:
$10,000 per year on a 2% card will yield $200
$10,000 per year on a 2.5% card will yield $250...up $50

$20,000 on a .025 card yields $500 per year...up $100 from a 2% card
$30,000 on a .025 card yields $750 per year...up $150 from a 2% card

Is it worth the trouble?
Last edited by hudson on Sat Sep 23, 2017 5:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Mon Sep 11, 2017 1:16 pm

Dang, didn't know we'd only get 1% back on ES tax payments. I guess I will switch to another form of payment. :(
Hmmm--need to look up my USAA account.

I just checked my statement and it APPEARS I got back the regular 2.5% from my estimated tax payments that I just made yesterday. :) I even got 2.5% back on the convenience fee! I still netted positive after using the card vs just using a debit card where I'd have to pay just under $3 for the privilege. I dislike using a paper check where I'm supposed to print my entire SSN & H's entire SSN on it. How can that be a good thing?

For some reason, I was only charged by Transunion for H and myself and the charges for both Experian and Equifax have not shown up as final (tho they are in pending).

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 am

Well... it's the 17th and I didn't see the 2.5 card in my USAA offers yet :|

flamesabers

Post by flamesabers » Sun Sep 17, 2017 2:05 pm

sunny_socal wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 10:30 am
Well... it's the 17th and I didn't see the 2.5 card in my USAA offers yet :|
The USAA Limitless Visa card never showed up in my offers section either. I found out about it through this website. Have you checked USAA's credit card section again to see if it's available in your state now?

djmbob

Post by djmbob » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:00 pm

:annoyed
Not showing up in my credit card products either, in Oklahoma.
Interestingly, my Mom in Maryland received an invitation for the card earlier this past week.(??)
Oh, well, back to holding my breath again!
<Sigh>
Ray
(37 year USAA member)
Last edited by djmbob on Sun Sep 17, 2017 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Laren

Post by Laren » Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:05 pm

Not showing for me yet either, but it is the weekend. I'm still holding out hope that it will start showing up tomorrow.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Tue Sep 19, 2017 7:57 am

Still not showing up in my 'products' page. I'm quite sure I'd qualify, I'm a long time member and certainly exceed the monthly DD requirement.

The application page for the card still doesn't show all states:
https://www.usaa.com/inet/wc/bank_cc_li ... _signature

Oh well, back to waiting :annoyed

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Tue Sep 19, 2017 9:15 pm

Still waiting with bated breath...

WMA2015

Post by WMA2015 » Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm

As of yesterday, it seems that if you are on the affected list by the Equifax data breach and either a) had your Equifax credit frozen prior to the breach OR b) froze your Equifax credit after the breach -- you will not be able to get any USAA credit cards.

Equifax seems to have disabled unfreezing credit online or by phone by anyone on the breach list. You have to write a letter to Equifax and they MAY unfreeze your credit at some undetermined point in the future.

USAA only uses Equifax for hard pulls on new credit cards and are inflexible with using either Transunion or Experian. This effectively means that if you are on the Equifax breach list and froze your credit, you cannot get new USAA credit cards.

sunny_socal

Post by sunny_socal » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:34 pm

WMA2015 wrote:
Fri Sep 22, 2017 2:02 pm
As of yesterday, it seems that if you are on the affected list by the Equifax data breach and either a) had your Equifax credit frozen prior to the breach OR b) froze your Equifax credit after the breach -- you will not be able to get any USAA credit cards.

Equifax seems to have disabled unfreezing credit online or by phone by anyone on the breach list. You have to write a letter to Equifax and they MAY unfreeze your credit at some undetermined point in the future.

USAA only uses Equifax for hard pulls on new credit cards and are inflexible with using either Transunion or Experian. This effectively means that if you are on the Equifax breach list and froze your credit, you cannot get new USAA credit cards.
I guess that answered my earlier question (What credit agency to unfreeze?)

Well I checked USAA again and they're not offering the 2.5 card to me anyway. Hopefully the Equifax thing will blow over by the time USAA gets around to offering the 2.5 card to everyone :annoyed

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Fri Sep 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Still not available in Utah. Now I've got my BIL in Arizona bragging about having the card. Grrr.....
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Dendritic Tree

Post by Dendritic Tree » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:37 pm

Still not available in North Carolina. I’m starting to wonder if the full rollout won’t be delayed until next calnedar year, or (hopefully not) cancelled altogether.

HIinvestor

Post by HIinvestor » Fri Oct 27, 2017 1:58 pm

We've been happily using our 2.5% USAA card in HI for some months or longer now. It works like a charm and we get our 2.5% credited to our account regularly. We recently cashed it in to get a check for over $800. It's our preferred card these days and we use it over others except if there's some special reason to use another card (e.g. United Explorer for a free bag checked in, Chase Sapphire Preferred for free primary auto collision damage coverage).

TimeRunner

Post by TimeRunner » Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 pm

I don't see that card for Hawaii, are you using a different billing address? I do see it when I tell the website I'm in WA. Unfortunately, I'm in CA so I'm still waiting.
"What'd ya expect in an opera, a happy ending?" -Bugs Bunny

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm

TimeRunner wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 8:55 pm
I don't see that card for Hawaii, are you using a different billing address? I do see it when I tell the website I'm in WA. Unfortunately, I'm in CA so I'm still waiting.
It was available in February, I believe. I applied then, expecting it to fail because I already had frozen my credit with all three agencies, and USAA would not divulge who they used prior to my submission of the credit card application. The application failed to be approved, as expected, so I called back their number when they left me a voicemail and they said they used Transunion -- I said no problem and unfroze it for 3 business days. They said I had to apply again, so I did.. fast-forward several more phonecalls and almost 2 weeks, and it turns out you can only apply three times in 12 months for the credit card, and USAA randomly chooses who they'll pull your credit from. For the last application I had 2 of 3 credit bureaus unfrozen, and they said they needed the third agency unfrozen in order to do anything, despite me having several USAA credit cards and having been a member >10 years. And despite the previous applications using Transunion and Experian. Unfortunately, they're slaves to the algorithm and were unable to modify anything in the process (i.e., which credit reporting agency to pull from, manually submitting a credit card application, reviewing/modifying a submitted credit card application).

So, next February, I'll try again. After I've temporarily unfrozen my credit at all three agencies.

hudson

Post by hudson » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 am

Cunobelinus wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm
TimeRunner wrote:
It was available in February, I believe. I applied then, expecting it to fail because I already had frozen my credit with all three agencies, and USAA would not divulge who they used prior to my submission of the credit card application. The application failed to be approved, as expected, so I called back their number when they left me a voicemail and they said they used Transunion -- I said no problem and unfroze it for 3 business days. They said I had to apply again, so I did.. fast-forward several more phonecalls and almost 2 weeks, and it turns out you can only apply three times in 12 months for the credit card, and USAA randomly chooses who they'll pull your credit from. For the last application I had 2 of 3 credit bureaus unfrozen, and they said they needed the third agency unfrozen in order to do anything, despite me having several USAA credit cards and having been a member >10 years. And despite the previous applications using Transunion and Experian. Unfortunately, they're slaves to the algorithm and were unable to modify anything in the process (i.e., which credit reporting agency to pull from, manually submitting a credit card application, reviewing/modifying a submitted credit card application).

So, next February, I'll try again. After I've temporarily unfrozen my credit at all three agencies.
Thanks Cunobelinus for the useful info! So unfreeze all 3 credit bureaus for 3 weeks. Isn't there a way to unfreeze all 3 for just one company?

hale2

Post by hale2 » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:09 am

I gave up waiting and picked up the BofA travel rewards. I'd rather have 2.5% cash back but it's not hard to have charges that are approved travel expenses to get 2.625% back on the BofA card.

Cunobelinus

Post by Cunobelinus » Sat Oct 28, 2017 7:11 pm

hudson wrote:
Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:10 am
Cunobelinus wrote:
Fri Oct 27, 2017 10:54 pm
TimeRunner wrote:

Thanks Cunobelinus for the useful info! So unfreeze all 3 credit bureaus for 3 weeks. Isn't there a way to unfreeze all 3 for just one company?
I'm not sure. That was the first time I had unfrozen my credit.

I'm not saying you should unfreeze for three weeks -- I'm saying that I got the runaround from USAA every time I talked with them and that's what took so long. I couldn't ever get a truthful answer from anyone in several weeks of talking with them. If you unfreeze all three, then apply, you may very well be approved within a day or two. USAA couldn't get past the point with my applications where their system pulled my credit report from all three agencies and then told the human USAA rep whether or not I should be approved.