Quality Men's Dress Clothing

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
TRC

Quality Men's Dress Clothing

Post by TRC » Thu Oct 13, 2016 7:04 am

Hello Bogleheads,

I'm in the process of revamping my business wardrobe and it's time to step up the quality of my sport coats, dress pants & dress shirts. I recently acquired some Allen Edmonds shoes and I've seen the light on how important quality craftsmanship is in terms of comfort, good looks and longevity....not to mention USA made.

In the past I've worn shirts from Brooks Brothers and Jos A Banks, but they are huge on me. Even the slim cut / tailored shirts are giant on me (I'm 6'1", 185 lbs). I had good luck with Nautica dress pants, but they no longer make the style I like. Suits I've always had Brooks Brothers outlet suits, but I heard these are just cheap / lesser quality compared to the real BB suits, and quit frankly they haven't held up that well.

So, does anyone have suggestions or experience for QUALITY menswear for dress plants (flat front, no pleats), good fitting sport shirts and Sport Coats? ? I've even debated going the custom design route, though I have no experience with that. I'm willing to spend considerably more for superior quality and fit. FWIW - I live in the Boston area.

Thanks!
TRC

letsgobobby

Re: Quality Men's Dress Clothing

Post by letsgobobby » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:35 am

I went to off fifth (saks' outlet store ) which sells pretty high quality clothing at very good prices. I had that suit custom tailored and am very happy with it. I also found some nice dress shirts there and at the Nordstrom rack (outlet) store.

Wellfleet

Post by Wellfleet » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:42 am

Have you tried Brooks Brothers slim shirts recently? They have a few "slim" sizes.

You might try J.Press in Cambridge. A bit higher end than Brooks Brothers, much American made stuff and probably halfway between custom tailor and "off the rack."

wilked

Post by wilked » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:45 am

Big sale going on, 3/$100
http://www.ctshirts.com/us/homepage

They have extra-slim. I am pretty fit (6 foot, 175 pounds) and they were a little snug on me, so tread lightly. I go with their slim fit and they fit well, not baggy.

Lastly, for those nice dress shirts you like, take them to a few tailors and get estimates on tailoring. It won't be cheap, but if they fit perfect it will be worth it. In general, become willing to get stuff tailored to fit well

rob

Post by rob » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:48 am

If your hard to fit then a taylor is the best option.... You could also try mtaylor.com (I saw this on tv somewhere but never tried them, just caught my eye with the app they use to measure).
| Rob | Its a dangerous business going out your front door. - J.R.R.Tolkien

Nova1967

Post by Nova1967 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:00 am

Armani, Zenga and other Italian designers have slim fits. If you don't go to a boutique store Saks and Nieman have some good selections. They also have big sales a couple times a year.

GuitarXM

Post by GuitarXM » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:06 am

Hugo Boss shirts I think have the slimmest fit because they are european but very expensive.

Try Perry Ellis Extra Slim Fit shirts. $35 100% thick good quality cotton for the white and blue shirts and fit very good.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:13 am

My Typical Wardrobe...

Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, Italian costco pants, Allen Edmond shoes.

Happy with all 3

carguyny

Post by carguyny » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:21 am

Proper cloth is a good option for reasonably priced tailored shirts. I switched from very expensive ($280) tailored shirts to them a few years ago and have had no issues at all. They have fabrics for all budgets and the cheap options are still very good.

Suits are a tough one, suitsupply and J Crew on the budget end, Canali and Zegna in the mid price and going tailored after those is what I would recommend. If you travel, the Canali traveller suits are great and you can get them at the Saks friends and family sale.

Alain_Investing

Post by Alain_Investing » Thu Oct 13, 2016 9:29 am

poker27 wrote:My Typical Wardrobe...

Charles Tyrwhitt shirts, Italian costco pants, Allen Edmond shoes.

Happy with all 3
Second Charles Tyrwhitt shirts. They have regular, slim and extra slim versions. You can also choose between the different collars and whether you want french cuffs or not.

JCrack

Post by JCrack » Thu Oct 13, 2016 10:19 am

Most people have to get business clothes tailored for the right fit, so find one that does good work.

For shirts and pants try Bonobos. They're an e-commerce outfit, so finding your exact size may take a bit of trial and error, but they're very helpful and make returns very easy. Other options to consider are Ledbury and Hugh and Crye.

For ties try TieBar.com . There's really no point to break the bank on ties, and tiebar has a bunch of different patterns and materials for cheap.

For suits go SuitSupply. You might run into sizing issues, but SuitSupply does have brick and mortar locations in big cities.

AE is a good choice for shoes, don't think you need a whole lot of help there.

Blakamiss

Post by Blakamiss » Thu Oct 13, 2016 1:29 pm

Reviews on quality clothing along with what deals and sales are going on
https://dappered.com/

Deals and Sales
https://www.reddit.com/r/frugalmalefashion/

wbeaumo24

Post by wbeaumo24 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 2:37 pm

A couple of good made-measure websites below. These will be pricer than brooks brothers or J.A. Banks, but the clothes will fit you well. I've been building a new wardrobe from both of these. Proper cloth for dress shirts and Black Lapel for suits. Get a friend to measure you and they will recut your first order until they get it right. Happy with both:

https://propercloth.com/

https://blacklapel.com/

Nycskm

Post by Nycskm » Thu Oct 13, 2016 3:39 pm

Charles Trhyitt has very good quality non iron dress shirts with a slim fit

Leemiller

Post by Leemiller » Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:50 pm

Nova1967 wrote:Armani, Zenga and other Italian designers have slim fits. If you don't go to a boutique store Saks and Nieman have some good selections. They also have big sales a couple times a year.
+1. Thomas Pink is also cut slimmer and has a slim fit line. My husband is as tall as you and probably weighs about what you do, he wears these brands.

Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 » Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:05 pm

First find a good taylor. Then ask him what and where to buy for him to fit to you. I had one in Natick do this for me many years ago and it provided perfect fit at a reasonable cost.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

jdb

Post by jdb » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:13 pm

Jack FFR1846 wrote:First find a good taylor. Then ask him what and where to buy for him to fit to you. I had one in Natick do this for me many years ago and it provided perfect fit at a reasonable cost.
Even better, try to find a local small men's clothing store run by a tailor. Most towns and cities have at least one. Put yourself in his hands.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:32 am

I use MyTailor, who has a website of the same name. Run by the Hemrajani brothers and based in California with clothes made in a big shop in Hong Kong. Great quality and great customer service. Expect to pay about $100 per dress shirt, $700-$1300 for a sports coat and $300-500 on dress pants depending on who the fabric is made by.

They travel all over the country, hitting major cities four times a year. If you don't mind waiting for when they come into town plus the 6 week ship time, it is a great option and pricing is comparable or better than if you go the luxury brand route at a department store.

My problem with off-the-rack is my proportions are funny (big chest relative to waist and thick thighs) and I have a preference for a high rise in the pants (even BB's pants are relatively low-rise these days) and MyTailor has met my needs. It is surely a luxury but if you can afford it you'll feel great in these clothes.

Andyrunner

Post by Andyrunner » Mon Oct 17, 2016 8:36 am

I get my shirts from charles tyrwhitt. Best shirts in my opinion. They are cut a little slimmer.

Suits I get from my neighbor who owns a suit shop in town.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:27 am

I've worn Brooks Brothers shirts for years, basically forever. They're great and high quality, even better now with no-iron. I tried Costco shirts at $20 a piece several tears ago and they're great as well, but with limited selection. Based on a previous thread here about a year ago I tried Charles Trhyitt during a mailed brochure sale, buying 3. About $30/shirt. I liked them as well. So much that I ordered 3 more during the next brochure sale. (My experience is not to order when you first get the brochure because they seem to follow-up by email with a free shipping offer a week after the sale starts.)

Fast forward to today and the CT shirts have not held up well. In a few times a month rotation the collars are now limp and don't stand up right. My wife who generously does my no-iron shirts opines that the BB and Costco shirts launder better. My perspective is the BB and Costco shirts are the better product. They look better to me and have worn so much better for me.

A week ago I shopped the BB Columbus Day Sale online. Everything 25% off, even already discounted items. I bought one from the higher priced and one from the discounted. They were delivered (I got shoprunner service free through Amex even though I used my Visa) and looked good. However the online goods are not available in half sleeve lengths (34/35) (I knew that when I ordered) and they only have a single button at the cuff (I did not know that when I ordered). 34 is too short for me. I've always had 34/35. 35 is too long w/o a second button. So back they went via a local BB store. The store told me that they do sell 34/35 with 2 buttons at their outlet stores. They do now have 4 different shirt (and other apparel) styles, essentially full, classic and two much slimmer styles, all shown online.

For now I'll go back to Costco and to BB outlet stores. YMMV.

mpowered

Post by mpowered » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:49 am

I get almost all my tailored clothing from www.kentwang.com. Prices are reasonable and everything is MTM. Kent sends you a test-fit suit/slacks and you put them on and he makes adjustments using photos. Every suit you make gets you a closer and closer fit.

My shirts are the exception. They come from Brooks Brothers for the sole reason of the non-iron cloth. I hate ironing more than anything else.

DGE

Post by DGE » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:57 am

Have a look at Indochino. Only catch is you'll need a significant other or a friend you're VERY close with to take your measurements.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Mon Oct 17, 2016 12:16 pm

mpowered wrote:I get almost all my tailored clothing from http://www.kentwang.com. Prices are reasonable and everything is MTM. Kent sends you a test-fit suit/slacks and you put them on and he makes adjustments using photos. Every suit you make gets you a closer and closer fit.
Do you mean a first time customer may not get a suit that fits perfectly?

tolerable2323

Post by tolerable2323 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 1:22 pm

If you have a dress shirt and pants that fit you perfectly take them to a tailor and have them tailor your new wardrobe exactly the way your favorite dress shirt and pants fit you.

mpowered

Post by mpowered » Mon Oct 17, 2016 2:50 pm

simplesimon wrote:
mpowered wrote:I get almost all my tailored clothing from http://www.kentwang.com. Prices are reasonable and everything is MTM. Kent sends you a test-fit suit/slacks and you put them on and he makes adjustments using photos. Every suit you make gets you a closer and closer fit.
Do you mean a first time customer may not get a suit that fits perfectly?
The test suit is just for getting your size. You send it back and a new one is made according to the adjustments Kent makes from looking at your pictures.

You'll get a much better fit than an off the rack suit to start off with. Remember that your body is constantly changing, even within the scope of one day or from breath to breath. My suits fit drastically different depending on how much i eat for lunch, how I'm sitting, and whether i am breathing in or breathing out, etc. So even when you commission a bespoke suit, by the time you get it back, your body may have changed enough to make a noticeable difference. MTM gets you almost there, and you make changes as you order new ones depending on your wants.

Double_A

Post by Double_A » Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:01 pm

I have had pretty good luck with Tom James for that type of thing (https://www.tomjames.com/).

They will have a representative that comes out to your office or home and measures you and shows you all the options for different materials, patterns, styles, cuffs, collars, etc. and you get to pick out everything about your shirt or suit. They then hand deliver it to you in a few weeks and make sure you are satisfied. The shirts run a little more than BB (~$125-150?) and the suits start in the $700 range but everything I have from them fits perfectly and seems to be pretty high quality thus far.

tim1999

Post by tim1999 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:08 pm

I keep seeing those ads in airline magazines for Hong Kong tailors that visit hotels in big cities and take your measurements for custom made shirts and suits. Raja Fashions is the name I see a lot. Anybody try this? It's still not cheap but a pretty good deal for custom fitted clothes.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:46 pm

I'm not speaking from personal experience but a friend who couldn't find a shirt on the rack that would fit right now swears by J. Hilburn (www.jhilburn.com). They have a direct sales-force - someone will come to your house with swatches - take your measurements - and a few weeks later you will have shirts that perfectly fit and are rated by many publications as high-quality.
I've never taken the time to try them but may do so.

Dutch

Post by Dutch » Mon Oct 17, 2016 4:57 pm

TRC wrote:Even the slim cut / tailored shirts are giant on me (I'm 6'1", 185 lbs).
That's strange. Your measurements are not that unusual. I'm 6'2, 190 lbs, and the Brooks Bothers slim fit shirts (Regent) fit perfectly.

Brooks Brothers even has an extra slim fit line (Milano), but I haven't tried those.

michaeljc70

Post by michaeljc70 » Mon Oct 17, 2016 5:27 pm

Most clothes are much higher quality than they used to be. In fact, I cannot remember the last time a piece of clothing I owned actually wore out before I got rid of it.

I like Hugo Boss. I only buy them when on sale/clearance. I have a suit I got at the Nordstrom rack for around $300. I've seen them at Marshall's for around $350-$400. I also have a lot of casual Hugo Boss shirts bought from various discount stores.

You can find quite a few brands now that have slimmer fit shirts. Someone mentioned Perry Ellis but there a lot of other brands that have more form fitting shirts. They tend to use different terms depending on the brand - like slim fit, tapered, athletic fit, etc.

Personally, with the quality of most clothes now, I concentrate on the fit instead of the brand and invest in a good tailor to make it look perfect on me. A $2k suit that doesn't fit right can look worse than a $200 properly fitting suit.

TOJ

Post by TOJ » Mon Oct 17, 2016 9:10 pm

If you're 'swimming' in slim fit shirts, you likely don't know how to tuck in dress shirts.

Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:35 am

Thank you for all the suggestions. Since I'm in a jam for a work conference next week, I ordered some shirts from Charles Tyrwhitt. Longer term I plan to order a shirt from proper cloth and see if the fit is as superior as they claim. Suit Supply also looks really interesting.

Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC » Tue Oct 18, 2016 6:40 am

Dutch wrote:
TRC wrote:Even the slim cut / tailored shirts are giant on me (I'm 6'1", 185 lbs).
That's strange. Your measurements are not that unusual. I'm 6'2, 190 lbs, and the Brooks Bothers slim fit shirts (Regent) fit perfectly.

Brooks Brothers even has an extra slim fit line (Milano), but I haven't tried those.
It could be that they are several years old and that they are a 16.5" neck, but literally, huge on me. I will say that I haven't seen a non iron / long last shirt better Han BB though.

stoptothink

Post by stoptothink » Tue Oct 18, 2016 10:27 am

TOJ wrote:If you're 'swimming' in slim fit shirts, you likely don't know how to tuck in dress shirts.
How do you properly tuck in a shirt? I'm 6'1" ~210, muscular and lean, in order to get a shirt that fits my neck and chest I have to get a 17"+ neck and even slim/ultra slim still look like absolute tents. It's not worth the cost for me to get them tailored, as my regular work attire is khakis and a polo, but I'd love to know how I can change this by simply tucking them in my pants differently.

poker27

Post by poker27 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 11:31 am

tim1999 wrote:I keep seeing those ads in airline magazines for Hong Kong tailors that visit hotels in big cities and take your measurements for custom made shirts and suits. Raja Fashions is the name I see a lot. Anybody try this? It's still not cheap but a pretty good deal for custom fitted clothes.
One of these people come to our office once or twice a year. Many of my colleagues have raved about their quality for the priced, however I have not purchased anything yet. If they are not camped out at an office for a few hours, they rent out a hotel room to take measurements and show samples.

heartwood

Post by heartwood » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:55 pm

poker27 wrote:
tim1999 wrote:I keep seeing those ads in airline magazines for Hong Kong tailors that visit hotels in big cities and take your measurements for custom made shirts and suits. Raja Fashions is the name I see a lot. Anybody try this? It's still not cheap but a pretty good deal for custom fitted clothes.
One of these people come to our office once or twice a year. Many of my colleagues have raved about their quality for the priced, however I have not purchased anything yet. If they are not camped out at an office for a few hours, they rent out a hotel room to take measurements and show samples.
I tried one of these several years ago, intrigued by recurring eigth page ads in the WSJ. I don't recall the name, but it was a HK tailor using hotel rooms for measurements. I was measured, ordered a suit and several shirts. After several weeks the goods arrived from HK via USPS just in time for the tailor's next visit to my area. Nothing was close to fit unless I planned to gain at least 60 pounds. They wanted me to arrange for alterations and they would pay. I refused since the fit was so poor that I would have never had a proper fit. Alter a size 46 or 48 jacket to 42? They eventually refunded my costs. I still see the ads.

xkunalx

Post by xkunalx » Tue Oct 18, 2016 12:57 pm

I get slim fit no-iron supima cotton shirts from Lands End. Almost the same quality as BB for way less money.
Also, I've used Tom's Fashion, one of those visiting tailoring services, with good experiences. Definitely worth the $$ if you're looking for good quality.

simplesimon

Post by simplesimon » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:02 pm

MyTailor.com that I mentioned in an earlier post does this. They travel around and set up in hotels to take your measurements.

I haven't had the experience of poor fit with them. I'm not aware of them advertising in WSJ or anything.

What gets me with ordering from HK is the very high cost to ship goods because of U.S. import tariffs, but I haven't heard of a U.S. based company that does this for the same price and quality. I'd be interested in seeing what else is out there just because of the long lead times and scheduling in case I need something in less than four weeks time.

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:24 pm

The definitive sites I have found for information about men's clothes are probably askandyaboutclothes.com and styleforum.net. Both will have recommendations for mainstream-store-bought stuff as well as more boutique-y MTM and bespoke, depending on your tastes and needs. I enjoy reading some of the discussions on occasion, but I am far to lazy and slovenly to consistently adhere to the advice that is given.

Terpfan3

Post by Terpfan3 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 1:48 pm

I usually buy Nordstrom brand dress slim fit shirts. They're good quality, they fit well on me and I'm very skinny, and they go on sale every few months or weeks. They're usually somewhere between $30-42 when on sale.

As far as pants, I wear Bonobos. Excellent quality and the "tailored" style fit is very slim fitting. The downside is these pants are moderately expensive. $90++ depending on the type of pants.

260chrisb

Post by 260chrisb » Tue Oct 18, 2016 4:19 pm

Not sure what you mean by "good fitting sport shirts" but can add my two cents worth. I've had some success at JAB but they're very difficult to shop, I can't understand their promotional program, seldom if ever do I buy anything at their listed ad price, and tire of the upselling for everything related to alterations. They're dress pants are generally of good quality especially the high end ones that are listed in the $200.00 range. The enticement is the constant BOGO or half off with two. Again, marginal success but good products when I can get them at a reasonable cost.

Since 1996 I've purchased every long sleeve dress shirt I've worn from a custom tailoring shop. Be careful; once you go you'll never go back to poor fitting store shirts. My cost is about $90.00 per shirt based on the thread count I've chosen and there are several as you can imagine. I buy in lots of 8, am measured in more places than imaginable, pick my thread count, collar design, neck size, sleeve button count, and shirt button count, as well as colors, whites, stripes, etc. What I get are high quality and American made shirts that fit like a glove and last 5-6 years. I'm sure with some research you can find many options in the Boston area so shop around.

Buying custom shirts also helps you maintain your weight. You don't want to outgrow custom shirts now do you??

angelescrest

Post by angelescrest » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:22 pm

Feel free to message me if you want some specifics. It will reallly depend on what kind of clothes you specifically need to purchase. A few of the retailers/fashion houses mentioned above are good, and a good number of them you are just wasting your money. I would second Suitsupply for suits; they have a lot of trendy stuff, but you can avoid those and go with more conservative or timeless items. You should learn about half canvassed and full canvassed suiting. It will fit better, and eventually form to the contours of your torso. Brooks brothers outlet suits are glued, and they will fall apart over time, and will not drape all that well on you. Suitsupply isn't the only place, but for the cost, you would be very hard pressed to find a cheaper half canvassed suit. You can also buy full canvassed suits from them, too, but they will cost more. They get fabric from the top Italian mills, and then construct it elsewhere--though it is imported. What do you expect for the cost? Other items at Suitsupply aren't necessarily as competitive and well made as their suits, like their accessories/shoes/shirts. I see that you mentioned sportcoats--they have plenty to choose from.

Congrats btw on discovering Allen Edmonds; they are my shoe of choice, and I have found some great pairs off eBay. I once landed a pair of black Park Aves that were in mint condition for $50.

If you like a good dress shirt, and for your size (I am similar but 10 lbs lighter), then brooks brothers Milano fit is their extr slim fit. It should work for your body type. I have tried their Regent slim fit, and that is indeed way too loose in the waist. For the price, Charles Tyrwitt is considered a great entry level dress shirt on Wall Street, and right now they have their best deal which is a 3 for $99 deal. It's really impossible to beat, and they make great Jermyn st shirts. I would get the extra slim fit, which is similar to Milano fit at brooks brothers, but neither of those are overly type. Brooks Brothers does a 4 for $200, which isn't as cheap, but their shirts are good, and I will wear their OCBD any day of the week. I would, btw, highly recommend getting several quality OCBDs, especially if you are from New England, and especially if you are into sportcoats. You could wear an OCBD every day, and it would work. You can wear one with a tie on a suit or sportcoat, but also dress it down with casual chinos, even shorts. It's arguably the most versatile shirt, and it will never go out of style. Oh, and Charles Tyrwhitt has dress shirts, business casual shirts, and casual shirts (button up and oxford button downs), so you have a lot of options. Tons of fabric choices. I would go look and find that 3 for $99 deal--if you can't find it maybe I can send you a link.

Someone mentioned Bonobos. They make fabulous pants, with great fit options, including a tapered waist which is where I always have to go get tailored ($20-$25). Their sportcoats I don't care much for--it's their pants that they are known for. Btw, pleats are fine. You are probably thinking the old triple pleat that balloons out, but there are recently more modern pleats that include a single center pleat generally facing outward (toward your hips). It looks nice, is comfortable, and will probably hold style for a very long time.

Knitwear is something you should consider, too, and I could make some recommendations if you're interested, especially since you are up in NE area with the seasons and cold.

If you haven't, find a good tailor, and you have tons to choose from in your area. Good fit is about as important as anything else. Oh, and a great dry cleaner. That is a harder thing to find I think.

Isabelle77

Post by Isabelle77 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 5:49 pm

My husband is very slim, he's 5'10 and maybe 150lbs on Thanksgiving :)

He likes the Nordstrom brand men's shirts. They come in both trim and extra trim. For jackets he goes to Brooks Brothers and has them tailored.

Caduceus

Post by Caduceus » Tue Oct 18, 2016 8:49 pm

Get your clothes tailored. Off the rack clothes are always designed to be a little more baggy to accommodate a greater variety of body sizes. It is easy to shorten the length of a shirt or take in the back a little, so if you choose a shirt that fits in the neck (collar) and with the right yoke (across the back), you can tailor the rest for not much money.

With pants, if you have the correct rise (the pants sit where you want on the waist and is comfortable crotch-wise), you can always get them hemmed if too long, or taken in slightly if too wide.

Very few people find clothes that fit properly off the rack - most guys wear shirts that are way too baggy around the armpits and back, or choose sizes that fit in the neck but not in the sleeves.

ND Fan 1

Post by ND Fan 1 » Tue Oct 18, 2016 9:45 pm

ESQ Clothing, if you are ever in Chicago and for any Chicago land Bogleheads

olidc

Post by olidc » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:02 am

I get all my shirts and chino pants from www.tailorstore.com.

It's a Swedish firm getting the sewing done in Sri Lanka, properly paid workers etc.

I always have 2 blue and 2 khaki pants. Cost around 100$, but they last at least 2-3 years, wearing them every day (Dockers would last me around 9-12 months). When one finally wears out, I order new ones based on my stored measurements.

One thing to consider is not to get too slim. If it's already tailored to fit and you get slim, it really fits like a glove!

You have to get someone to take your basic measurements, but it's well explained.

arsenalfan

Post by arsenalfan » Wed Oct 19, 2016 10:06 am

TRC wrote:Hello Bogleheads,

I'm in the process of revamping my business wardrobe and it's time to step up the quality of my sport coats, dress pants & dress shirts. I recently acquired some Allen Edmonds shoes and I've seen the light on how important quality craftsmanship is in terms of comfort, good looks and longevity....not to mention USA made.

In the past I've worn shirts from Brooks Brothers and Jos A Banks, but they are huge on me. Even the slim cut / tailored shirts are giant on me (I'm 6'1", 185 lbs). I had good luck with Nautica dress pants, but they no longer make the style I like. Suits I've always had Brooks Brothers outlet suits, but I heard these are just cheap / lesser quality compared to the real BB suits, and quit frankly they haven't held up that well.

So, does anyone have suggestions or experience for QUALITY menswear for dress plants (flat front, no pleats), good fitting sport shirts and Sport Coats? ? I've even debated going the custom design route, though I have no experience with that. I'm willing to spend considerably more for superior quality and fit. FWIW - I live in the Boston area.

Thanks!
TRC
Check out dappered.com

It is a pretty good website for quality affordable men's clothing and style. The author is 5'10" 185 lbs for reference, but he has reccs for best dress shirts, sport coats, etc.

autolycus

Post by autolycus » Thu Oct 20, 2016 7:31 am

I know the original post was mostly about shirts, pants, suits, etc., since he's already found Allen Edmonds, but I thought I'd give the public service announcement:

Allen Edmonds is currently running their big Rediscover America Sale through 10/25. Lots of stuff is discounted pretty substantially. Fifth Avenues and McAllister wingtips are just $245, compared to a normal price of $395.

leonard

Post by leonard » Thu Oct 20, 2016 11:20 am

Brooks brothers for shirts. Excellent non-wrinkle performance.

Wait for a sale.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Topic Author
TRC

Post by TRC » Thu Oct 20, 2016 8:20 pm

Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up ordering 4 Charles Tyrwhitt - non iron slim fit dress shirts for $199 plus shipping. They fit amazingly well! Hopefully they hold up in washings.