What podcasts do you listen to?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
rubixx

Re: What podcasts do you listen to?

Post by rubixx » Tue Oct 25, 2016 11:36 pm

protagonist wrote:
Jeff Albertson wrote:Barry Ritholtz interviewed Bill McNabb again this week in his Bloomberg's 'Masters in Business' podcast.
Terry Gross interviewed Charlie Brooker on the third season of Black Mirror (Netflix), on NPR's Fresh Air.
Black Mirror is back?

Last episode I saw was the Christmas special.

How does the new season compare with the old episodes?
I thoroughly enjoyed the new season! Quite a bit of variety in the episodes. I wont say more as to not spoil it.

protagonist

Post by protagonist » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am

rubixx wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Jeff Albertson wrote:Barry Ritholtz interviewed Bill McNabb again this week in his Bloomberg's 'Masters in Business' podcast.
Terry Gross interviewed Charlie Brooker on the third season of Black Mirror (Netflix), on NPR's Fresh Air.
Black Mirror is back?

I thoroughly enjoyed the new season! Quite a bit of variety in the episodes. I wont say more as to not spoil it.
I watched the first one last night, thanks to Jeff's and your post. Yes, very enjoyable. And a great satirical dig on contemporary society. I laughed out loud at the ending. Anywow, that's TV, not a podcast, so I should not derail this thread any further.

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:53 am

Not really a podcast but online lectures: Coursera, free online courses from top universities.
https://www.coursera.org/

runner9

Post by runner9 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 1:40 pm

In no particular order, the ones in my feed I think/know are still being made:

The First 40 Miles
Love Me
Actual Innocence
This American Life
Undisclosed
Embedded
Criminal
Happier with Gretchen Rubin
Crime Writers On...
99% Invisible
Reveal
Breakdown
Mystery Show
Serial
Sounds of the Trail

1year23

Post by 1year23 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:05 pm

Retirement Answer Man is a wonderful weekly podcast that I think many Bogleheads would enjoy :D

Jeff Albertson

Post by Jeff Albertson » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:26 pm

protagonist wrote: I watched the first one last night, thanks to Jeff's and your post. Yes, very enjoyable. And a great satirical dig on contemporary society. I laughed out loud at the ending. Anywow, that's TV, not a podcast, so I should not derail this thread any further.
Another Brooker interview on BBC's Newsnight from last week (6 minutes):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m45wLFQ6t7Q

Northster

Post by Northster » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Black Mirror -- yes back with six new episodes released last Friday.

dubsem

Post by dubsem » Wed Oct 26, 2016 2:53 pm

Jalen and Jacoby
G.O.O.D.

OldLearner

Post by OldLearner » Wed Oct 26, 2016 10:06 pm

Lots of good stuff here. The only one I really like that I didn't see mentioned (maybe I missed it) is the TED Radio Hour. Sometimes financial, but usually not. Still a good listen.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Wed Oct 26, 2016 11:23 pm

Financially speaking, you can't do better than The Room Where it's Happening--a podcast about Hamilton the Musical--finance and Independence, perfect! :D

I also like Paul Merriman. And you can listen to him at 1.5x and he comes through clearly.
NPR Planet Money

My GoTo pods:

Election stuff:
Keeping It 1600
And if you want a laugh, Election Profit Makers

Life Stuff:

The Gist (with Mike Pesca)

United States Policy discussions: (non-partisan)

The Weeds--Ezra Klein, Matt Yglesias and Sarah Kliff
The Ezra Klein Show--great one on one interviews

For fun:

This American Life
RadioLab
Stuff You Should Know
Revisionist History is awesome
99% invisible with Roman Mars
Serial
Lore
And the greatest baseball podcast of all time, hands down, bar none: Baseball Prospectus' "Effectively Wild"
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

XCskiguy

Post by XCskiguy » Thu Oct 27, 2016 1:23 pm

jerryk68 wrote:A new podcast call "How I built this". About 30 minutes long with interviews of business entrepreneurs and inventors like Spanx, Instagram and the Cliff Bar. Basically how they got their start and their journey.
Great podcast- it's a new one and I really hope they keep this up for a while.

I also enjoy Freakonomics, Planet Money, and a local sports show, that is if I happen to listen to it within a day or two of the broadcast (Dan Barreiro on KFAN). There are good guests on the Tim Ferris Show so I listen to some of these shows. I echo the comment of him being a little vain which is annoying.

SurferLife

Post by SurferLife » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:20 pm

RadioLab
More Perfect
Planet Money
Freakonomics
99% invisible
Two Gomers Run for their lives
Homesteady
Invisibilia
The Memory Palace
TED Radio Hour
This American Life
Dan Carlin's Hardcore History
Frontline: Audiocast
Let My People Think
The Permaculture Podcast
Permaculture Voices
Family Talk

Bammerman

The History of English

Post by Bammerman » Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:54 pm

I have listened to and enjoyed the history of Rome and the history of Byzantium, and I'm currently listening to The History of English. Fascinating and very well done.

Funny how people change. When I was in the accumulation phase, and, by the way, when the market was generally more up, I used to enjoy visiting this forum and reading about investing and money. It all seemed quite exciting and relevant to my life. Since I've retired, though, I find reading about or thinking about money or investing quite boring! I used to visit this forum every day – now, weeks go by between my visits.

woof755

Post by woof755 » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:56 pm

Oh, yeah. I totally second the recommendation for "More Perfect" by the guys from RadioLab. Educational, eye-opening pod about the history of the Supreme Court.
"By singing in harmony from the same page of the same investing hymnal, the Diehards drown out market noise." | | --Jason Zweig, quoted in The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:15 pm

protagonist wrote:
rubixx wrote:
protagonist wrote:
Black Mirror is back?

I watched the first one last night, thanks to Jeff's and your post. Yes, very enjoyable. And a great satirical dig on contemporary society. I laughed out loud at the ending. Anywow, that's TV, not a podcast, so I should not derail this thread any further.
I should have mentioned this earlier, but we have an existing thread for: What non-fiction tv shows or movies you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?

Feel free to start a new thread for fiction TV, or just "What TV shows or movies do you like to stream on netflix, hulu ,and amazon?"
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

FreddieG

Post by FreddieG » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 am

On Point with Tom Ashbrook
Fresh Air with Terry Gross

cpw84

Post by cpw84 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:01 am

Mortified - They have adults stand in front of an audience and read their embarrassing notes and journals from when they were in middle/high school. It's hilarious.

Engineer250

Post by Engineer250 » Wed Nov 02, 2016 9:47 am

PorkRoll wrote:Marketplace with Kai Ryssdal
Surprised this wasn't mentioned more often, my absolute fave money/economics podcast! They also have a weekend podcast "Marketplace Money" that's not quite as good, but okay.

So money/finance/economics related:
Marketplace
Morningstar (I think this is just audio from their "tv" program, but still enjoy it)
Freakanomics

Other:
Stuff You Should Know (general topics, amusing banter)
BBC Why Factor (why do we...wear ties, why are we patriotic, etc. shortish shows)
BBC In Our Time (3 academics discuss people/events/ideas/books from history)
History Chicks (focuses on women in history, very enjoyable, interesting even for women I don't think I'll care about)
Where the tides of fortune take us, no man can know.