packaged food expired best buy dates

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
squirm

packaged food expired best buy dates

Post by squirm » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:12 pm

Just went through pantry items. We throw out packaged foods if it's a year past their dates. Sound reasonable? What do you guys do?

jabberwockOG

Re: packaged food expired best buy dates

Post by jabberwockOG » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:33 pm

Best to donate to local food pantry or other charity.

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:36 pm

jabberwockOG wrote:Best to donate to local food pantry or other charity.
Not if it is a year past it's use date. Pantry's don't want the liability or reputation of passing out old food.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

Bob B

Post by Bob B » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:38 pm

squirm wrote:Just went through pantry items. We throw out packaged foods if it's a year past their dates. Sound reasonable? What do you guys do?
One year seems reasonable. Expiration dates are probably conservative so as to get you to buy more.
Regards, | Bob | Wiki

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:39 pm

Maybe others have different experience, but many (if not most) such places refuse to accept or just throw out items past these dates.

From almost everything I read, food is safe for a long time after such dates. I have told some folks in these organizations what I think of such policies. Then, they tell me how awful I am and that the recipients of such food "deserve" to be given food not past such dates. This is a "hot button" for me - and an example of "political correctness" out of control. I have even been told (I do not believe it) that it is illegal for charities and food pantries to give out such "expired" food.

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:40 pm

squirm wrote:Just went through pantry items. We throw out packaged foods if it's a year past their dates. Sound reasonable? What do you guys do?
We usually wait around 3 years after expiration date before finding in back of pantry or spice drawer, our record is about six years. :oops:

kenner

Post by kenner » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:48 pm

Mingus

Post by Mingus » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:51 pm

dm200 wrote:
Maybe others have different experience, but many (if not most) such places refuse to accept or just throw out items past these dates.

From almost everything I read, food is safe for a long time after such dates. I have told some folks in these organizations what I think of such policies. Then, they tell me how awful I am and that the recipients of such food "deserve" to be given food not past such dates. This is a "hot button" for me - and an example of "political correctness" out of control. I have even been told (I do not believe it) that it is illegal for charities and food pantries to give out such "expired" food.
Combination of a liability standpoint (very low risk), and a public relations standpoint (very high risk).

Just imagine the media frenzy that would be unleashed if charities were giving out expired food.

jjface

Post by jjface » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:51 pm

Toss food if it has insects in it

Really?

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:54 pm

Sometimes there are events where instead of charging a fee to enter, they request the donation of non-perishable food items, so this is a good use of our past due items.

It would be a pity if they discarded our one year old spaghetti.

It used to bother me that they might just throw it away, but now I just relax and say "the pasta's in the past, let it go".

sport

Post by sport » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 pm

If food is perishable, we watch dates closely. For non-perishable foods, we have found that the dates mean very little. We stock up when groceries are on sale, and often have items that are beyond the package dates. We just try to use the oldest ones first and other than that, we do not worry about it. We never have any problems with unopened packages.

Grogs

Post by Grogs » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:02 pm

I think one year is probably fine for canned food or sealed packages. If it smells bad when you open it, obviously don't eat it. :happy I usually go through the cans in my cupboard about once a year. Anything that's nearing the expiration date I'll take it to work and eat it for lunch.

kenner

Post by kenner » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:03 pm

jjface wrote:

Really?
Actually, I didn't write the article.

But this guy makes a ton of money on television (Travel Channel) eating insects:

http://www.travelchannel.com/shows/biza ... eating-guy

:happy

dm200

Post by dm200 » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:04 pm

My wife looks at all these dates on various products. She buys Distilled water for her CPAP machine. That's fine, since minerals in other kind of water would not be good for the machine. Last year, at one point, she told me that she needed another gallon of distilled water because the jug she had had "expired" (past the date on the jug). I told her just how stupid an "expiration date" was on WATER.

Good Grief!!!

sport

Post by sport » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:05 pm

For canned goods, watch out for bulging cans. If a can bulges, the food inside is spoiled.

nominalBob

Post by nominalBob » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:17 pm

dm200 wrote:My wife looks at all these dates on various products. She buys Distilled water for her CPAP machine. That's fine, since minerals in other kind of water would not be good for the machine. Last year, at one point, she told me that she needed another gallon of distilled water because the jug she had had "expired" (past the date on the jug). I told her just how stupid an "expiration date" was on WATER.

Good Grief!!!
It does sound ridiculous. But maybe the container contaminates the water over time.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:29 pm

dm200 wrote:My wife looks at all these dates on various products. She buys Distilled water for her CPAP machine. That's fine, since minerals in other kind of water would not be good for the machine. Last year, at one point, she told me that she needed another gallon of distilled water because the jug she had had "expired" (past the date on the jug). I told her just how stupid an "expiration date" was on WATER.

Good Grief!!!
I can relate to that. My wife thinks her distilled drinking water spoils of you keep it too long. I told her it's already thousands of years old (millions if you're an evolutionist), and a couple more weeks isn't going to hurt. But I'm not sure I convinced her.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

supersharpie

Post by supersharpie » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:32 pm

cheese_breath wrote:

Good Grief!!!
I can relate to that. My wife thinks her distilled drinking water spoils of you keep it too long. I told her it's already thousands of years old (millions if you're an evolutionist), and a couple more weeks isn't going to hurt. But I'm not sure I convinced her.
Over time chemicals from the plastic bottles leach into the water. That is the reason they have expiration dates. If you store the water in glass containers it should keep indefinitely.

jdb

Post by jdb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:43 pm

sport wrote:For canned goods, watch out for bulging cans. If a can bulges, the food inside is spoiled.
I can confirm that canned yams will go at least six years after expiration date without any bulges. But didn't open and eat for lunch so not sure about quality.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:14 am

jjface wrote:

Really?

And let all that good protein go to waste!? Perish the thought!

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Oct 11, 2016 10:43 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:Sometimes there are events where instead of charging a fee to enter, they request the donation of non-perishable food items, so this is a good use of our past due items.
The golden rule of donating food is to only donate food that you would eat yourself. If you feel it's too old for you to eat, why would you pass that on for someone else?

Pajamas

Post by Pajamas » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:04 am

Some food banks will take recently-expired food but you should check first. It is not right to donate food that you wouldn't eat yourself because it expired to a food bank unless they explicitly say it's okay. Otherwise, you are wasting their employees' or volunteers' time and the food bank will also have to pay for disposal.

A related issue is that organizations that run charitable thrift shops spend millions of dollars a year disposing of useless junk that people "donate" such as old stained mattresses and busted televisions. In some instances they may even have to pay extra for special handling of hazardous or regulated waste such as electronics.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:15 am

dm200 wrote:
cheese_breath wrote:

Good Grief!!!
Unless a person has some very rare and unusual health/medical condition, why would you drink (and pay extra for) distilled water? Seems to me almost all of us are better off with water that has some minerals and fluoridation.
I don't. She does, and she does have multiple health issues which make her cautious about everything she puts in her body.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:15 pm

goingup wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:Sometimes there are events where instead of charging a fee to enter, they request the donation of non-perishable food items, so this is a good use of our past due items. ...<snip>...
The golden rule of donating food is to only donate food that you would eat yourself. If you feel it's too old for you to eat, why would you pass that on for someone else?
Did you read the whole post? :oops:

dm200

Post by dm200 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:36 pm

A related issue is that organizations that run charitable thrift shops spend millions of dollars a year disposing of useless junk that people "donate" such as old stained mattresses and busted televisions. In some instances they may even have to pay extra for special handling of hazardous or regulated waste such as electronics.
Yes! I see that a LOT in an organization I support and have an affiliation.

corwin

Post by corwin » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:51 pm

I think most "best by" dates are more about getting you to buy more rather than protecting your health. If the food doesn't smell or taste bad it is most likely fine. [I am not a medical professional so caveat emptor.]

I do pay attention to dates for open items in the fridge and I worry about spices getting moldy.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:02 pm

corwin wrote:I think most "best by" dates are more about getting you to buy more rather than protecting your health. If the food doesn't smell or taste bad it is most likely fine. [I am not a medical professional so caveat emptor.]

I do pay attention to dates for open items in the fridge and I worry about spices getting moldy.

I agree, in most cases it's an issue of freshness and/or nutritional efficacy, which is why the stamp says "best by" rather than something like "don't consume after [date]".

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:09 pm

for shelf-stable items, the 'best buy' date is purely a suggestion. We basically ignore such dates. Let me put it this way: if we open something and it tastes bad, we will throw it out whether it has expired or not. If it tastes good, we will eat it.

Recently opened some seaweed packages that were 18 months past date. Totally rancid. Threw it all out. I was shocked, I didn't expect it to go bad so quickly. Next time I won't buy so much at once.

We have a bottle of ketchup which is ten years old. When we need it, I will open it and taste it and if it tastes fine I will eat it.

Carefreeap

Post by Carefreeap » Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:35 pm

nominalBob wrote:

Good Grief!!!
It does sound ridiculous. But maybe the container contaminates the water over time.
I can't speak to distilled water but I will say that plastic bottled drinking water does have an odd taste after its expiration date. I had some tenants who were workers in State and County emergency services leave a couple of partial flats of water for me since I was going to be staying and working on the house. I didn't check the date before I opened it and was surprised about its "off" taste in comparison to the bottled water I had brought. They had been drinking it themselves so I don't think they were trying to poison their former landlord. :wink: And I might have not noticed it had I not recently tasted the same unexpired brand myself.

saltycaper

Post by saltycaper » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:07 pm

I have not yet had to discard jugged water due to expiration, as regardless of brand, the water inevitably evaporates or leaks out of the "unopened" jug before the age of expiration is reached. Must be some sort of safety feature. :annoyed
Quod vitae sectabor iter?

KlingKlang

Post by KlingKlang » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:08 pm

sport wrote:For canned goods, watch out for bulging cans. If a can bulges, the food inside is spoiled.
When we cleaned out my grandmother's house she had left inherited canned food that was over 100 years old. My mother asked if she could use the cans that were "only a little bit bulgy". I told her that I would come over and throw everything from the entire house away. Did you know if you keep masking tape long enough that it will solidify into a useless mass?

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Oct 11, 2016 2:47 pm

KlingKlang wrote:
When we cleaned out my grandmother's house she had left inherited canned food that was over 100 years old. My mother asked if she could use the cans that were "only a little bit bulgy". I told her that I would come over and throw everything from the entire house away. Did you know if you keep masking tape long enough that it will solidify into a useless mass?
Not very Boglehead-wise. Those old cans would go for a premium in some antique shops. :D

Dan999

Post by Dan999 » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:44 pm

I have old gallon jugs of water that are sometimes 6 years past expiration date.
I keep them until the leak, then I take a swig of them to see how they taste and if I suffer any effects.

After many taste tests over the years, I did not find the water off taste and no illness. But the leaching of plastic from an 8 year old plastic bottle got me thinking. Hmm. No action, just thinking about it. I guess if the choice is die of thirst or drink 8 year old water, I know which choice to make. Would have to think about giving it to the rest of the family though.

Dan

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:01 pm

I read an article in the NYTimes about why you shouldn't keep expired baking mixes (like pancake mix) due to buildup of toxins/pathogens/hobgoblins. I don't remember the exact threat, but I remember it was scary enough that I don't keep mixes more than a few months past the expiration.

(Mostly, I keep the expired canned goods in the pantry because I won't eat them, but it prevents me from going out and buying new food to let go bad).

sport

Post by sport » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:17 pm

Dan999 wrote:I have old gallon jugs of water that are sometimes 6 years past expiration date.
I keep them until the leak, then I take a swig of them to see how they taste and if I suffer any effects.

After many taste tests over the years, I did not find the water off taste and no illness. But the leaching of plastic from an 8 year old plastic bottle got me thinking. Hmm. No action, just thinking about it. I guess if the choice is die of thirst or drink 8 year old water, I know which choice to make. Would have to think about giving it to the rest of the family though.

Dan
The gallon jugs are made of polyethylene. That particular plastic is very inert and I would not expect anything to leach out of it. For some other plastics, that would not be true.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Tue Oct 11, 2016 4:26 pm

I removed an off-topic post regarding water fluoridation. Please stay on-topic.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Teague

Post by Teague » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:32 pm

We might look at it this way - our ancestors lived in times when nothing had expiration dates. And just look at what happened to them:

They all died!
Semper Augustus

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:34 pm

Teague wrote:We might look at it this way - our ancestors lived in times when nothing had expiration dates. And just look at what happened to them:

They all died!
Evidently they did have expiration dates.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Oct 11, 2016 6:48 pm

dm200 wrote:

Years ago I used to volunteer at a food bank. I would sort all items received - fun way to spend a Saturday. Anyway - we were trained to discard ALL expired foods EXCEPT for canned goods. We were told canned goods can last a long time past their dates (These we would inspect for bulging as well as an "sharp" dents or dents on seams). This was a number of years ago so rules may have changed (and also most of our items came by the truck-load from local supermarkets due to ripped packaging or dents or other visual imperfections).

Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:51 pm

dm200 wrote:

I'm very sorry, dm200, that anybody made you feel bad. You always have the option, of course, to eat the past the best by date food yourself, and donate more recently purchased food to food banks, but you're not required to do so. Whatever politically correct is meant to mean, it shouldn't mean shaming you personally when you're just trying to help the people who rely on these organizations.
PJW
Last edited by Phineas J. Whoopee on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

goingup

Post by goingup » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:59 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
goingup wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:Sometimes there are events where instead of charging a fee to enter, they request the donation of non-perishable food items, so this is a good use of our past due items. ...<snip>...
I did! You donated expired food, which you suspected would get tossed out, deeming it "a good use of our past due items". See what I'm getting at? :wink:

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:14 pm

goingup wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
goingup wrote:
I did! You donated expired food, which you suspected would get tossed out, deeming it "a good use of our past due items". See what I'm getting at? :wink:
Just as I thought. You totally missed it. Read it again.

whatusername?

Post by whatusername? » Tue Oct 11, 2016 11:10 pm

*3!4!/5! wrote:
goingup wrote:
*3!4!/5! wrote:
goingup wrote:
Just as I thought. You totally missed it. Read it again.
I missed it too. Past due food, one year old spaghetti, might be thrown away which would make you sad, pasta pun. So, what am I missing?

lotusflower

Post by lotusflower » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:20 am

corwin wrote:I think most "best by" dates are more about getting you to buy more rather than protecting your health. If the food doesn't smell or taste bad it is most likely fine. [I am not a medical professional so caveat emptor.]
Well to be fair, they have a right to protect their brand. They are not telling you not to consume it, "best by" means it is at risk of not being as yummy as their commercials said it would.

*3!4!/5!

Post by *3!4!/5! » Wed Oct 12, 2016 2:11 am

I have some dinosaur eggs that should still make a decent omelette. The pickled trilobites, I've heard, last forever. And that jar of primordial slime still holds its nutritional value, as long as its kept from light and oxygen.

whomever

Post by whomever » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:15 am

What do you guys do?
We more or less ignore use by dates; if there isn't some obvious sign of spoilage, we eat it. Our personal experience:

1)We've never had any untoward outcomes.
2)We've had one bulged can. It was discovered when I retired and cleaned out the box of earthquake food I'd assembled 15 years prior. It was a can of Mandarin Oranges. Googling afterwards indicated that can failures are most likely in acidic foods. The other canned goods tasted great (well, as good as Dinty Moore ever tastes :-( ). One package of crackers tasted off and were discarded; other crackers tasted fine. The Costco bag of gorp tasted a little off, but not so much that I discarded it.
3)If you leave sardines in your car trunk for several years in Wyoming, the freeze thaw cycles will make them mushy, but they taste fine.
4)Oily things (cooking oils, nuts, crackers) can go rancid and give a bad taste. It's pretty irregular - I've had cooking oil smell funny in a year, but a neighbor once gave us a five gallon jug of olive oil. We decided to use it until it seemed bad, but it was still fine when we finished it a few years later. It was a restaurant package, with a collapsible bag inside a box, which perhaps kept air away better than a normal bottle.
5)Frozen food can get freezer burnt, but otherwise is OK.

On one hand, if you're not on a desert island, it's smart to err on the side of caution. The cost of eating something bad is much higher than the cost of tossing it. OTOH, many Best By dates seem much more conservative than necessary. As a limiting case:

I'm always surprised how much rancor this topic generates in online discussions. If people have doubts they are certainly free to toss things. OTOH, there are enough people who more or less ignore dates that I think we'd be seeing news reports if the rate of untoward outcomes was greater than de minimis.

mouses

Post by mouses » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:41 am

When organizing a cupboard, I found in the back that a can had leaked black gummy stuff. It was almost impossible to clean the shelf, and I resorted to sanding, which didn't remove the stain which had permeated. Shelf paper to the rescue. Now I go through the shelves every six months and use up stuff that will expire. If stuff keeps getting close to expiration, I don't buy that stuff any more.

BW1985

Post by BW1985 » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:52 am

Never had this issue. I only buy packaged things that I'm going to eat within a year.
"Squirrels figured out how to save eons ago. They buried acorns. Some, they dug up, for food. Others, they let to sprout, in new oak trees. We could learn from squirrels." -john94549

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:00 am

dm200 wrote:

In some cases there may be good reasons to not ingest such items. Aside from being unsafe, they almost certainly taste bad and lack nutrients. I don't see why anyone should be able to take a tax deduction for such "contributions". Do you give them your garbage too or is that question too politically correct?

soboggled

Post by soboggled » Wed Oct 12, 2016 9:03 am

*3!4!/5! wrote:I have some dinosaur eggs that should still make a decent omelette. The pickled trilobites, I've heard, last forever. And that jar of primordial slime still holds its nutritional value, as long as its kept from light and oxygen.
I would give it to the poor and take my tax deduction.