Nissan Navigation Update

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
KlangFool

Nissan Navigation Update

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

Do I have to purchase the update every year or I could update every 2 years?

Thanks.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
LAlearning

Re: Nissan Navigation Update

Post by LAlearning »

Use your phone. Then you never have to pay for it.
I know nothing!
mpsz

Post by mpsz »

+1 for use your phone. I found that the maps were already outdated when I purchased my vehicle; I'm not really interested in finding out how outdated they are now.

I've got newer Nissan ('13) with nav/tech package and I use Waze on my iPhone. I have a mount that goes on my vent. Waze will mute the radio to give turn-by-turn navigation over the car's speakers.

Only thing that doesn't work is the screen on the dashboard, but I never liked using that anyway.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

Folks,

I know I could use my phone for navigation. I just trying to find out whether I could update my Nissan navigation once in 2 years. If that is possible, it might be worthwhile for me to update.

KlangFool
30% VWENX | 16% VFWAX/VTIAX | 14.5% VTSAX | 19.5% VBTLX | 10% VSIAX/VTMSX/VSMAX | 10% VSIGX| 30% Wellington 50% 3-funds 20% Mini-Larry
curmudgeon

Post by curmudgeon »

KlangFool wrote:Folks,

I know I could use my phone for navigation. I just trying to find out whether I could update my Nissan navigation once in 2 years. If that is possible, it might be worthwhile for me to update.

KlangFool
The roads don't change that quickly. I suppose it is more a question of the business listings going out of date. I might be inclined to update once every 5 years myself, but that begs the question of whether they will charge you for the intervening updates anyway... but then that is why I've never bought a builtin nav system.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

curmudgeon wrote:

KlangFool
The roads don't change that quickly. I suppose it is more a question of the business listings going out of date. I might be inclined to update once every 5 years myself, but that begs the question of whether they will charge you for the intervening updates anyway... but then that is why I've never bought a builtin nav system.
curmudgeon,

That is highly dependent on where you live. In my case, it might be worthwhile to purchase the update this year and skip the next 2 years if I can do this.

KlangFool
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

KlangFool
I don't understand.. You don't ever have to update it.
I know nothing!
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

You can update as often or as little as you prefer. The previous year's update is not a prerequisite for next year's update.
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

mmmodem wrote:You can update as often or as little as you prefer. The previous year's update is not a prerequisite for next year's update.
mmmodem,

Thank you. That was the information that I was looking for.

KlangFool
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

LAlearning wrote:

KlangFool

I don't understand.. You don't ever have to update it.
LAlearning,

Then, your navigation system does not have any information on the new roads around your neighborhood.

KlangFool
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

That's why you use your phone.
I know nothing!
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

The map DVDs for our Lexus are absurdly expensive, so we've only updated twice in the 11 years we've had it. The Nissan updates aren't quite so ridiculous, so we upgrade every 2-3 years.
tim1999

Post by tim1999 »

My daily driver has Nav but I almost never use it to get to a destination, it takes forever to enter anything into it. I use Google Maps on my phone instead. The car manufacturer sends me emails about "great deals" to update the car's Nav for $199 but I don't bother. Any new roads in my area are residential ones that lead to nowhere.
GDBryan

Post by GDBryan »

I updated my old Camry once when they had a special for $99. My wife has a RAV4 that updates over her phone.
SueG5123

Post by SueG5123 »

I have a Nissan Rogue and last year, the third year I'd owned the car, I paid to update the navigation SD card.

Wish I'd saved my $150. :oops: The new one isn't appreciably better than the older one.

Agree with the others. Use what you have and augment with your cell phone. Buying a new navigation card is of no value!
dbr

Post by dbr »

SueG5123 wrote:I have a Nissan Rogue and last year, the third year I'd owned the car, I paid to update the navigation SD card.

Wish I'd saved my $150. :oops: The new one isn't appreciably better than the older one.
Do you mean the new update is still missing changes to roads and addresses that should have been added or that you mostly only use it in areas where there are no changes to manage?
Topic Author
KlangFool

Post by KlangFool »

SueG5123 wrote:I have a Nissan Rogue and last year, the third year I'd owned the car, I paid to update the navigation SD card.

Agree with the others. Use what you have and augment with your cell phone. Buying a new navigation card is of no value!
SueG5123,

1) Thanks for the information.

2) May I know the approximate area / region where you live?

KlangFool