Controlling high blood pressure

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
Topic Author
retire14

Controlling high blood pressure

Post by retire14 »

So for many years my blood pressure was around normal range 120/80. Since retirement, my blood pressure has gone up to around 145/90. I will see a doctor in a few weeks, but in the mean time, I would like to ask here if there are practical advices for controlling high blood pressure without drugs. I know that i now need to watch my sodium intake.

I am active, play golf/tennis, run 3 -3.5 miles 3 times/week, not overweight (148lbs for 5'8'') and feel good. No stress of any kind. Maybe old age finally catches up with me.

Should I increase my exercise level? Not sure if my body can take a daily run. Will running say 1.5-2 miles/day better than 3-3.5 miles every other day?
Thank you in advance.
stoptothink

Re: Controlling high blood pressure

Post by stoptothink »

retire14 wrote: Should I increase my exercise level? Not sure if my body can take a daily run. Will running say 1.5-2 miles/day better than 3-3.5 miles every other day?
No. Examine your diet, otherwise the largest factors (genetics and aging) are a bit our of your hands.
Christine_NM

Post by Christine_NM »

Is BP elevated at home or only in doctor's office (white-coat hypertension)?
16% cash 49% stock 35% bond. Retired, w/d rate 2.5%
Topic Author
retire14

Post by retire14 »

Both at home and at the drs office.
jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG »

My high blood pressure dropped from where you are now to normal range within 1 month after I retired.

Look at diet and adding way more plant based foods including lots of green leafy salads and vegetables, also avoid sugar, high carb foods, meat especially red, fried foods, and salt. If you are eating out a lot your salt intake is likely huge - restaurants put crazy amounts of salt in food.

Non competitive exercise can also help - strongly suggest you try both yoga and Pilates, both are low impact, easy on the joints, and develop critical core fitness and flexibility in a very relaxing and stress free manner.
hicabob

Post by hicabob »

Indulging in alcohol can bump BP up for some folk.
Dottie57

Post by Dottie57 »

retire14 wrote:So for many years my blood pressure was around normal range 120/80. Since retirement, my blood pressure has gone up to around 145/90. I will see a doctor in a few weeks, but in the mean time, I would like to ask here if there are practical advices for controlling high blood pressure without drugs. I know that i now need to watch my sodium intake.

I am active, play golf/tennis, run 3 -3.5 miles 3 times/week, not overweight (148lbs for 5'8'') and feel good. No stress of any kind. Maybe old age finally catches up with me.

Should I increase my exercise level? Not sure if my body can take a daily run. Will running say 1.5-2 miles/day better than 3-3.5 miles every other day?
Thank you in advance.

I bet your Doctor will prescribe BP medication. Don't fight it. Losing 5 or 10 pounds may help. Meditation? Look at the type of food you eat. Google "foods blood pressure" and you might find suggestions.
dm200

Post by dm200 »

stoptothink wrote:
retire14 wrote: Should I increase my exercise level? Not sure if my body can take a daily run. Will running say 1.5-2 miles/day better than 3-3.5 miles every other day?
No. Examine your diet, otherwise the largest factors (genetics and aging) are a bit our of your hands.
Based on my personal experience as well as the credible sources I read, for the vast majority of folks, neither genetics nor chronological age must lead to Hypertension.
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

In before the lock.

But practically sounds like you are doing the right things. After a proper workup, it's meds.
I know nothing!
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

duplicate
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
mhalley

Post by mhalley »

Diet, exercise and weight loss are the mainstay of non medication HBP treatment. Sounds like you are doing well with exercise and weight, but maybe some tweaks are needed. You might consider cutting down on sodium, many processed foods are loaded with it. Aha spurge sits 1500 mg.
https://sodiumbreakup.heart.org/how_muc ... iumBreakup
Exercise guidelines:
The Department of Health and Human Services recommends getting at least 150 minutes of moderate aerobic activity or 75 minutes of vigorous aerobic activity a week, or a combination of moderate and vigorous activity. Aim for at least 30 minutes of aerobic activity most days of the week.
If running is hard on the knees, swimming, biking, rowing etc will work.
Of course consult with your doctor before starting an exercise program.
Generally with a bp reading in that range, the doc would not jump in with meds.
Check this out from the journal of American family practice:

SORT: KEY RECOMMENDATIONS FOR PRACTICE
CLINICAL RECOMMENDATIONS EVIDENCE RATING
A diet that emphasizes vegetables, fruits, and whole grains is recommended to lower blood pressure.
A

Limiting sodium intake to 2,400 mg per day is recommended to lower blood pressure. Additional benefit occurs with a limit of 1,500 mg per day.
B

To lower blood pressure, patients should engage in moderate to vigorous aerobic physical activity three or four times per week for an average of 40 minutes per session.
A

Clinicians should ask all adults about tobacco use and provide tobacco cessation interventions for those who use tobacco products.
A

To lower blood pressure, alcohol consumption should be limited to no more than two drinks per day for most men and one drink per day for women.
C

Self-measured blood pressure monitoring, with or without additional support (e.g., education, counseling, telemedicine, home visits, Web-based logging), lowers blood pressure compared with usual care, although the benefits beyond 12 months are not clear.
A

Patients with hypertension and obstructive sleep apnea should use continuous positive airway pressure to lower blood pressure.
C
Last edited by mhalley on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:01 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Fallible

Post by Fallible »

This thread is about medical advice for a serious condition and should and will be locked. The OP is right to consult a doctor soon.
"Yes, investing is simple. But it is not easy, for it requires discipline, patience, steadfastness, and that most uncommon of all gifts, common sense." ~Jack Bogle
KESP

Post by KESP »

Another vote for plant based diet. Mine had gone way up after years of normal. Since changing to primarily plant based, every aspect of my health has improved. I recommend reading the book "How Not to Die" by Dr Michael Greger.
tludwig23

Post by tludwig23 »

Since medical advice is prohibited, I'm not going to give any.

In general, the research is very clear that even mild hypertension increases the risk of heart attacks and strokes.

Medications can be necessary for some people, lifestyle modifications can be sufficient in others. Hopefully your physician can give you guidance on which approach (or maybe a combination of both approaches) is right for you.

Best of luck.
That's what I do: I drink, and I know things. --Tyrion Lannister
El Greco

Post by El Greco »

Personally, watching my diet and taking up biking, helped me to control my BP. Biking is much easier on the joints than running. I still take medication, but far less than I used to. I hope to be able to get off of it completely with further weight loss. However, I agree with other posters, SEE THE DOCTOR and take the meds. You can do irreversible damage to your health by not treating it.
Last edited by El Greco on Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jim234

Post by jim234 »

I had stubborn HBP. Doctor put me on two pills and now it is normal. Some people just get it and it doesn't matter what you do.
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

This thread has run its course and is locked (medical advice). See: Unacceptable Topics
Medical Issues

Questions on medical issues are beyond the scope of the forum. If you are looking for medical information online, I'd like to suggest you start with the Medical Library Association's User's Guide to Finding and Evaluating Health Information on the Web which, in addition to providing guidance on evaluating health information, includes lists of their top recommended sites in the following categories: consumer health, cancer, diabetes and heart disease. They also provide a larger, but less frequently updated, list called Top 100 List: Health Websites You Can Trust.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.