Retirees: What are your passions?

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
tennisplyr

Retirees: What are your passions?

Post by tennisplyr » Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:11 am

There is much talk these days about having a passion in life especially for those who are retired, and presumably have more time to spend on them. Retirees, what are you passions, my biggest one is tennis...playing, watching or reading about it.
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

Pixafari

Re: Retirees: What are your passions?

Post by Pixafari » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:12 am

My passion is cycling - especially being able to ride virtually any time I want since the work schedule is no longer a constraint.

Hayden

Post by Hayden » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:34 am

My focus is getting in shape, after years of sitting in front of a computer all day. I lift weights twice a week and do cardio every day.

Erwin

Post by Erwin » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:36 am

Ski, bicycling, health club, bridge, and grand children!
Erwin

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Sat Oct 08, 2016 8:44 am

Number 1...take care of my wife.
Number 2...Keep as healthy as I can (exercise and walk at least 4 miles a day) so that I can do number 1.
Number 3...Keep up my finances so that I can do 1 and 2.
It's not what you gather, but what you scatter which tells what kind of life you have lived---Helen Walton

Fletch

Post by Fletch » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:10 am

Strengthen family relationships. Strengthen relationships with friends. Church: expanding my knowledge of the Reformation and why it happened, strengthening theological and doctrinal expertise, clarifying beliefs and why I have them. Continuing to learn, especially topics that were not my educational and vocational focus. Stop watching most TV and spending time on activities that require me to think and act.
“Meaningless! Meaningless!” says the Teacher. Whoever loves money never has enough; whoever loves wealth is never satisfied with their income. This too is meaningless.

FCM

Post by FCM » Sat Oct 08, 2016 9:47 am

Model railroading since I now have the time, space, and money to pursue it in a rather grand manner (at least for me).

treypar

Post by treypar » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:10 am

Cycling and hiking for me

goldendad

Post by goldendad » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:14 am

I plan to retire in the next year and will do ministry work through my church - plus traveling and visiting the grandkids.

Rob54keep

Post by Rob54keep » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:59 am

Not in any particular order:

1. Teaching college geology
2. Spending more time with wife
3. More active in church activities
4. At the Fitness Center 5 days/week
5. Up to speed on tax issues/spending levels
6. Being available for grand-kids
7. Fishing/Hunting
8. Traveling when and where I want to

cinghiale

Post by cinghiale » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:15 pm

Location passion: Living on the Mediterranean, and having the ocean close by.
Person passion: Finally having the time, energy, and focus for together time with La Bella Signora.
Food passion: Aforementioned time and energy for gathering and cooking fresh produce and food items.
Activity passion: Walking, bicycling, swimming, and some resistance exercises.
Brain passion: Good books, essays, and articles and good conversations about them.
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Oct 08, 2016 1:36 pm

Yelling at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn.
Semper Augustus

AAA

Post by AAA » Sat Oct 08, 2016 2:22 pm

Not having to go to work. Especially the early morning part of that.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Oct 08, 2016 3:26 pm

tennisplyr wrote:There is much talk these days about having a passion in life especially for those who are retired, and presumably have more time to spend on them.
Never had a "passion", either before or after retirement (9+ years thus far). Sounds like an article that gets paid for by the number of words written, or some investment company that wants you to invest more (with them) to satisfy an uncertain future when all these "passions" come to fruition.
Teague wrote:Yelling at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn.
AAA wrote:Not having to go to work. Especially the early morning part of that.
Yeah, that sounds about right and the extent of my passions (if I had any...).

- Ron

GerryL

Post by GerryL » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:00 pm

AAA wrote:Not having to go to work. Especially the early morning part of that.
+++ yes!

And chimpanzees (and other great apes and also primates in general). I spend much of my volunteer time and donations on my passion. This year so far I have taken 5 trips, and 3 were totally (non-human) primate-related, including 3 conferences.

Teague

Post by Teague » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:08 pm

GerryL wrote:
...totally (non-human) primate-related, including 3 conferences.
Well, now that I think about that a bit, I suppose the presenter could operate the Powerpoint with one hand, laser pointer with another, hold the microphone with a foot...
Semper Augustus

malabargold

Post by malabargold » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:10 pm

So many young people are deeply into volunteer activities
these days, they have our generations beat by landslides.

No doubt many, almost all of us, do it to a degree.

But the current generation of young adults is doing it with a fervor I have not seen before.

Hats off!

SpaceCowboy

Post by SpaceCowboy » Sat Oct 08, 2016 4:33 pm

1) Watching my kids play sports
2) BBQ on my Kamado Joe, new hobby this year
3) Fresh coffee brewed with my Aeropress

The two that I need to develop are more travel, but have to wait until the youngest is off to college, and working out, which is needed to counteract the effects of #2. This has been tougher to get motivated for.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sat Oct 08, 2016 5:52 pm

My main passion is music (including orchestral music, chamber music, and musical theatre). One of the reason I want to retire early is so I can increase my participation in musical activities while everything is still working. Several of my musical friends are 15-20 years older than I am; they're mostly healthy, but enough of them are having problems with hands, eyes, or general mobility to attract my attention.

My retirement plan is to move next summer to my nearest major city (a search of my previous posts would identify that city). That should give me the opportunity to play in some ensembles (my favorite thing lately is playing in orchestras for shows) and will also make it more convenient to attend concerts and shows as a spectator.

I also enjoy baseball quite a bit, though I don't know if I'd call it a passion. Given that I have, on three occasions, gone to games in which I had no rooting interest (for or against), just because I was in the neighborhood, and given that I would like to go to Spring Training at least once, it comes close.

I'm not sure if I should list my professional field (mathematics) as a passion. Twice in the last week, upon solving a problem (advanced student level, but not research level), I said to myself, "That was fun!", so I think it's likely that there will continue to be mathematics in my life, and maybe it will be a passion again at some point.

blueblock

Post by blueblock » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:15 pm

I hate the word 'passion,' because it's so overused, but here I'm taking it to mean "what is your purpose in life, now that you're not working?" which is a fair question.

As an introvert who was for many years paid well to be an extrovert, today, less than two years into retirement, I'm most enjoying the absence of purpose: eschewing obligation, taking long morning walks with the dogs, teaching myself to be a better cook, hours of reading, keeping our home a desirable place to be, managing my finances.

Will do good

Post by Will do good » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:35 pm

+1

Trader/Investor

Post by Trader/Investor » Sat Oct 08, 2016 6:38 pm

Hiking, hiking, and more hiking. Especially exploring off trail searching for remote waterfalls/rock shelters/ cemeteries/caves/arches.

Edit: It doesn't bother me to be one dimensional. That is how it was/is in my trading and that worked out well. Must be a bit OCD.

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 pm

running and taking classes
Gordon

FrugalInvestor

Post by FrugalInvestor » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:23 pm

My wife, friends and keeping my mind and body fit.
IGNORE the noise! | Our life is frittered away by detail... simplify, simplify. - Henry David Thoreau

daveatca

lawn maintenance

Post by daveatca » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:35 pm

Me too.

joe8d

Post by joe8d » Sat Oct 08, 2016 11:06 pm

Working my P/T job.
All the Best, | Joe

NOLA

Post by NOLA » Sun Oct 09, 2016 12:09 am

Interested read for someone who is not close to retirement! Congrats all of y'all!

larklea

Post by larklea » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:53 am

Woodturning.
Learning bridge.
Getting all the projects done around the house that I've put off forever.
Social dancing.
Geneology.
Camping or sailing (still kicking this around, have done and enjoyed both).
Golf.
Reading.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:54 am

blueblock wrote:I hate the word 'passion,' because it's so overused, but here I'm taking it to mean "what is your purpose in life, now that you're not working?" which is a fair question.

As an introvert who was for many years paid well to be an extrovert, today, less than two years into retirement, I'm most enjoying the absence of purpose: eschewing obligation, taking long morning walks with the dogs, teaching myself to be a better cook, hours of reading, keeping our home a desirable place to be, managing my finances.
Nice. Yeah, I sometimes roll my eyes at the idea that as a retiree, one must be more busy, more adventuresome, more this, more that.....Not that I have anything against it if that's what works for a retiree, but I also love the idea of open-ended days, meandering walks, quiet afternoons, etc.

Steve723

Post by Steve723 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 7:57 am

MandyT wrote:My main passion is music (including orchestral music, chamber music, and musical theatre). One of the reason I want to retire early is so I can increase my participation in musical activities while everything is still working. Several of my musical friends are 15-20 years older than I am; they're mostly healthy, but enough of them are having problems with hands, eyes, or general mobility to attract my attention.

My retirement plan is to move next summer to my nearest major city (a search of my previous posts would identify that city). That should give me the opportunity to play in some ensembles (my favorite thing lately is playing in orchestras for shows) and will also make it more convenient to attend concerts and shows as a spectator.

I also enjoy baseball quite a bit, though I don't know if I'd call it a passion. Given that I have, on three occasions, gone to games in which I had no rooting interest (for or against), just because I was in the neighborhood, and given that I would like to go to Spring Training at least once, it comes close.

I'm not sure if I should list my professional field (mathematics) as a passion. Twice in the last week, upon solving a problem (advanced student level, but not research level), I said to myself, "That was fun!", so I think it's likely that there will continue to be mathematics in my life, and maybe it will be a passion again at some point.
Very cool. I am trying to learn jazz drumming, but it doesn't seem like there are any "entry level" opportunities to play live in this craft! I'd love nothing more than to play in a little jazz trio at some small venue or party.

DaleMaley

Post by DaleMaley » Sun Oct 09, 2016 8:33 am

1. Time with grandchildren
2. Woodworking
3. Volunteering on community improvement projects
4. Local town history
5. Researching and writing local town history books, giving history talks to community groups
6. Stained glass
7. Construction home improvement projects on children's homes
Most investors, both institutional and individual, will find that the best way to own common stocks is through an index fund that charges minimal fees. – Warren Buffett

topper1296

Post by topper1296 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:22 am

Interesting thread. I'm only 42 and won't be retiring for another couple decades, but I've thought about this. Interest can change between now and then, but here is my thinking so. "fun" part time job, volunteer work, go to away games in football and men's bball for my alma mater, hiking, working out a couple days a week and yes....you kids get off my lawn.

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:14 am

blueblock wrote:I hate the word 'passion,' because it's so overused, but here I'm taking it to mean "what is your purpose in life, now that you're not working?" which is a fair question.

Wonderful post!

jabberwockOG

Post by jabberwockOG » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:23 am

My wife and I have spent our first year of retirement pretty quietly but our passion has been to be a lot more active in our own lives and in our community and to never stop learning new things.

This has resulted in taking classes primarily in local history and painting workshops, 5 days a week Pilates or Yoga class, walking min of three miles 7 days a week, attending local community concerts, presentations, and theater productions, getting involved in local neighborhood community issues and elections.

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:41 am

tennisplyr wrote:There is much talk these days about having a passion in life especially for those who are retired, and presumably have more time to spend on them. Retirees, what are you passions, my biggest one is tennis...playing, watching or reading about it.
Taking care of my wife, reading, good coffee, and travel.

I really enjoy doing nothing at all.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

heyyou

Post by heyyou » Sun Oct 09, 2016 1:40 pm

Yelling at the neighbor kids to get off my lawn.
I LOL. Thank you.

For her, it is oil painting and gardening, iris flowers and vegetables. She photographs the flowers, then paints from those pictures, throughout the year. My volunteer work is solo backpacking into a large, nearby wilderness area, to clear the trail of overgrown brush and fallen trees. That suits me so much better than how I made a living. Retirement gave me the freedom and flexibility to do that when the weather is good, between the weather events. I've learned to head home early if cirrus clouds indicate that another storm front is coming through.

At home, having flexible time for reading fiction in retirement has been great. I didn't have time for reading fiction when I was working, there was only time for non-fiction. Now I can spend all day reading a book, with no problems from delaying chores until tomorrow, after the book is finished.

What I relish most about retirement is having that free time, the freedom to do what you want to, when you want to. There is not the deadline of time off ending. DW and I can go out for lunch on short notice, or drive somewhere to check on maple trees with red leaves, all without waiting for the weekend to arrive. Life is good, these days.

Having been retired for ten years, we are now free from wondering if we could afford early retirement. That feels good, too.
What are your passions?
Everyday living, free from any job or money considerations, just doing whatever we want to do, feeling lucky, blessed, and grateful for how our lives are.

Steelersfan

Post by Steelersfan » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:01 pm

Genealogy, reading, staying physically fit.

I guess I should add: being on a couple of small non-profit boards, but that's not a passion just something I (mostly) enjoy and it gives back to the community.

MandyT

Post by MandyT » Sun Oct 09, 2016 5:44 pm

heyyou wrote: What I relish most about retirement is having that free time, the freedom to do what you want to, when you want to. There is not the deadline of time off ending. DW and I can go out for lunch on short notice, or drive somewhere to check on maple trees with red leaves, all without waiting for the weekend to arrive. Life is good, these days.

Having been retired for ten years, we are now free from wondering if we could afford early retirement. That feels good, too.
What are your passions?
Everyday living, free from any job or money considerations, just doing whatever we want to do, feeling lucky, blessed, and grateful for how our lives are.
I'm quoting from heyyou's post, but several other posters have expressed similar sentiments.

My caution would be that, while all of this freedom sounds fantastic in theory, some personality types are better suited for unlimited free time than others. One of my friends has an older brother in his 70's who retired a couple of years ago; she told me that he's "deliriously happy" to be retired. About ten minutes later, she told me that he spends hours and hours reading political web sites and stressing out about the future. At some point, I paraphrased Douglas Adams and told her "This is some definition of 'deliriously happy' with which I was not previously acquainted". She started to say, "Well, he's really happy to be retired...", but I think part of his problem is that nature abhors a vacuum, and he's filling his particular vacuum by obsessing about politics.

I recall reading that some personality types (such as mine, INTJ) thrive in early retirement while others tend to be a bit lost if they don't have something to fill the vacuum. This is where a passion could come in handy.

mike77308

Post by mike77308 » Sun Oct 09, 2016 6:47 pm

I am probably different than most Boogleheads as I could not wait to retire and not have to go to "work" everyday. My co-workers looked at retirement as a tragic event and few had interests outside of their career.

I have a small machine shop and a 1200 sq. ft. garage to support my hobbies. Currently I am finishing my retirement home on acreage in the country (I can't fathom the urban lifestyle), built it with my own hands. I am also helping my son do a lot of upgrades on his house, electrical, kitchen and bathrooms.

I am a lifelong gearhead and as such I have several cars to restore, the latest is a 1966 Triumph TR4a that a friend gave me after it sat in his garage for almost 40 years.
I have been sailing since the late 1950's and have about 6 small boats, some for restoration, some I use. I have built some of them.

I love to design and build things.
It has been said before: "I don't see how I ever had time to go to work."

mlebuf

Post by mlebuf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:01 pm

My passions are ham radio, college football, our cats, eating in great restaurants and spending time with Elke. My time is my own, I have a nice car and a wonderful woman. I am fulfilling my inner teenager. :D
Best wishes, | Michael | | Invest your time actively and your money passively.

midareff

Post by midareff » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:08 pm

Travel, photography, movies, music and going out to eat with wifey.

btenny

Post by btenny » Sun Oct 09, 2016 10:23 pm

Skiing a lot, boating every summer, good friends, good wine, good beer, lots of parties and laughs, time with my wife, just lots of fun times and being lazy in my old age. :D :D

BlueEars

Post by BlueEars » Mon Oct 10, 2016 5:39 pm

These are not passions, just my pleasures:

1) Aerobic exercise: I try to get in about 20 miles/week in the hills. Runs from 5 to 8 miles each. Been doing this sort of stuff since high school. Now in retirement I can take a lot of time to just stop and enjoy the views or watch creatures in the state park that I use for runs.
2) Gym: Just started this up a few months ago. Some mild upper body work + swimming.
3) Gardening: gets me into the dirty stuff.
4) Art: Right now this is watercolor sketching on location. I don't like to work from photos although this is a good way to start practicing. Used to do oil colors but watercolor is more portable for trips. My wife and I join up with an Urban Sketching group once per month.
5) Reading: Mostly spy novels and mysteries. Some physics and astronomy.
6) Investing: Several borrowed ideas from others here over the years. I develop my own methodologies and algorithms.
7) Trying to be a better human: more appreciative of others and less egocentric. Not quite ready for sainthood.

And yes I do get bored occasionally. Generally goes away after a good night's sleep. :happy

victorb

Post by victorb » Mon Oct 10, 2016 6:00 pm

Love time with my wife that wasn't there with travelling for work.

Spending time with relatives & friends

The large increase in quality of life with the elimination of tasks & policies mandated by work

Freedom to do what I want, when I want

Being able to do almost anything I want do to good health, mind & financial ability

philpill

Post by philpill » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:04 pm

Trader/Investor wrote:Hiking, hiking, and more hiking. Especially exploring off trail searching for remote waterfalls/rock shelters/ cemeteries/caves/arches.

Edit: It doesn't bother me to be one dimensional. That is how it was/is in my trading and that worked out well. Must be a bit OCD.
hurrah for the bushwhacker...use a gps and never get lost.
physical activity is antidote to the aging process.

Copper John

Post by Copper John » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:24 pm

1. Fly Fishing - my overwhelming passion. Before retirement it was an weekend endeavor. Now it is my "job" :happy

2 College football

3. Cigars and port

4. Running

5. African travel - wildlife photography while on safari

delamer

Post by delamer » Mon Oct 10, 2016 7:35 pm

I am passionate about being retired; with the exception of a few coworkers, I miss nothing about work.

But I can't say that I have any real passions in retirement. I am enjoying spending more time doing the things I've always liked. And I am exercising more, and trying to like it more too.

But the best part is being accountable to no one for big chunks of time. Although I wish my husband was retired (he has a couple more years to work), along with a few friends, being on my own is very liberating.

Ninegrams

Post by Ninegrams » Tue Oct 11, 2016 12:44 am

Some common ones including:cycling,hiking(hill climbing),nature walks, gardening,workouts,reading. I've also become passionate about managing my own time: to luxuriate in idleness, to manage/implement a project, to troubleshoot and fix a problem, to re-arrange the house(I like the fresh look), to contemplate or to simply enjoy a "passive" activity(I love watching movies).

tennisplyr

Post by tennisplyr » Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:09 am

Living life on my own terms...whatever, wherever, whenever
Those who move forward with a happy spirit will find that things always work out.

silentfaith

Post by silentfaith » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:01 am

wow, nobody likes boating? taking my trawler for 5 months every year to the bahamas or the keys and we like to walk empty beaches collecting driftwood for art projects the other 7 months. fishing and spearing for our dinners.