Budget car advice; so so tired of the noise levels

Questions on how we spend our money and our time - consumer goods and services, home and vehicle, leisure and recreational activities
core5

Re: Budget car advice; so so tired of the noise levels

Post by core5 »

The current generation Chevrolet Impala is very quiet. It's not compact, but a lower trim level would probably be affordable.
Katietsu

Post by Katietsu »

Look for a used Buick sedan. IMO with rentals, these tend to be very good on noise. And they have a significant enough depreciation to be a good value used.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

mmarreco wrote:
stoptothink wrote:
angelescrest wrote:
stoptothink wrote:Instead of buying a totally new car, you could take it to a stereo shop and have them sound insulate the entire thing. As someone who was very into car audio in a previous life, there is some pretty good stuff out there and it would be drastically more cost-effective than trading in a car that still has life in it.
What specifically can you point me to that works? My limited understanding is that it can be very expensive to install sound proofing material under panels?
My knowledge is 15+ years old, when Dynamat http://www.dynamat.com/ was kind of the only thing around. There has got to be a multitude of better options now. Back then, it cost me ~$250 to sound deaden the entire car (for audio system purposes) and it made a very dramatic difference. Couldn't hurt to call a stereo shop and ask.
+1 vote to insulate your car with Dynamat or some other equivalent product. it will make it feel like a Lexus. There are cheaper alternatives to Dynamat such as Fatmat and others. I would insulate the floor and doors. Here is a website fore reference:
https://www.sounddeadenershowdown.com/
Thanks for the link. Looks like there in MD it would cost $1025 for the installation, plus however the Fatmat/Dynamat costs. That's something to think about, although there aren't many (if any) established audio professionals in my area.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

JeffAL wrote:Road noise was one of the reasons I sold my 2007 Mazda 3. My 2013 Civic LX sedan is significantly quieter.

I've found my tolerance for road noise has decreased as I've gotten older. I'm considering stepping up to an Accord EX (or a similar competitor) next year.
Interesting. As a previous poster indicated, Honda is not known for good noise levels. My parent's new Odyssey wasn't all that great on our roads, either, though of course better than my vehicle. I'm surprised that your Civic is that much better, but that's good to know. I really like the latest Civic design, as well as the Accord.

To reiterate, if I still lived in a city with really good roads and all, I probably wouldn't mind much. But here, the roads are absolutely awful.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Katietsu wrote:Look for a used Buick sedan. IMO with rentals, these tend to be very good on noise. And they have a significant enough depreciation to be a good value used.
My first response was going to be, "I'm not that old!" :happy

But I'm sure they've gotten a lot better. Can't say the new marketing has helped sway me.
UncleBen

Post by UncleBen »

TRC wrote:Lexus are very quiet.
What?
JeffAL

Post by JeffAL »

angelescrest wrote:
JeffAL wrote:Road noise was one of the reasons I sold my 2007 Mazda 3. My 2013 Civic LX sedan is significantly quieter.

I've found my tolerance for road noise has decreased as I've gotten older. I'm considering stepping up to an Accord EX (or a similar competitor) next year.
Interesting. As a previous poster indicated, Honda is not known for good noise levels. My parent's new Odyssey wasn't all that great on our roads, either, though of course better than my vehicle. I'm surprised that your Civic is that much better, but that's good to know. I really like the latest Civic design, as well as the Accord.

To reiterate, if I still lived in a city with really good roads and all, I probably wouldn't mind much. But here, the roads are absolutely awful.
It's all relative. I rented a 2017 Hyundai Sonata in FL this past weekend and now my Civic is loud.
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

We have a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi. Bought it used with 98k miles for $8,700.

This car impresses me on many levels. The ride is super quiet and smooth. It handles bumps very well. When in all electric mode, it is really eerily quiet.

The C-Max packages all have leather seats and very nice quality features and interiors. With gas prices at the lower end of the spectrum, the used C-Max prices are very reasonable.

I had a Mazda and I know exactly what the OP is referring to. "Sporty" equates to harsh ride, jolting bumps and higher road noise in that scenario.
lazydavid

Post by lazydavid »

UncleBen wrote:
TRC wrote:Lexus are very quiet.
What?
I saw what you did there... :D
mmmodem

Post by mmmodem »

I've also noticed much higher noise levels in the 2005 Mazda 3 that was new then versus my 1998 Corolla or 2006 Civic. Here is a list of things that contribute to NVH not in any particular order.

Wheels: Mazda had 17" rims, vs 15" in their competitors. This contributes greatly to noise over bumps as the tire rubber is thinner on bigger wheels. You scan swap with someone with base tires and wheels.
Tires: 17" tires usually command sport tires at these smaller economy car tire sizes that are firmer and grippier giving a more jarring ride versus plentiful Touring tire sizes at 15".
Wind noise: nothing you do about this. Mazda either didn't care about audible aerodynamics or skimped on thinner glass
Suspension: Mazdas arguably have the firmest suspensions for maximum handling. This makes the ride bumpy but gives more handling in turns or windy days. You can do something about this but you probably shouldn't.
Insulation: I would do the dynamat as some suggest. It will help but car seems a bit old to invest this kind of money.
Engine: This is where Mazda excells versus Toyota and Honda. The Mazda is a much quieter and more powerful engine. Hondas and Toyotas are typically louder as they employ small displacement motors which have to be revd up to perform. The mid 2000's Mazda 3's were designed for zoom zoom. (Remember that?)
Hatchback: Nothing you can do about this if you have a hatchback. The hatchback form factor leads to more noise as noise in the trunk is added to cabin instead of suppressed behind the seats. This is one of the reasons why Prius is not quiet despite being one of the most aerodynamic vehicles out there.

If noise was bothering me on a Mazda 3, I'd start with swapping out tires with steel 15" on Craigslist. Probable plenty of people willing to trade up. I'm assuming you have 17" wheels.
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

To reduce the noise in my car I take off my hearing aids, really takes out the road noise, costs me nothing, actually saves the batteries. Also when I drive wife and teenage grandson, I can barely hear their loud discussion with hearing aids off. A louder radio also cancels some of the road noise.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

bloom2708 wrote:We have a 2013 Ford C-Max Energi. Bought it used with 98k miles for $8,700.

This car impresses me on many levels. The ride is super quiet and smooth. It handles bumps very well. When in all electric mode, it is really eerily quiet.

The C-Max packages all have leather seats and very nice quality features and interiors. With gas prices at the lower end of the spectrum, the used C-Max prices are very reasonable.

I had a Mazda and I know exactly what the OP is referring to. "Sporty" equates to harsh ride, jolting bumps and higher road noise in that scenario.
Interesting, I'll look into it. How's it perform?
bloom2708

Post by bloom2708 »

[/quote]
Interesting, I'll look into it. How's it (Ford C-Max Energi) perform?[/quote]

I wouldn't call it a sports car. The combination of the hybrid electric motor and the 2.0L Atkinson engine work pretty good together. By itself, the internal combustion engine is built for gas mileage. Not much low end torque. But the electric motor adds torque for starting, passing cars, going up hills. The C-Max has an earlier version of the Prius system. So it isn't doing anything earth shattering.

If you have a sub 20 mile round trip commute, you would use mostly the electric motor. We get between 60-70 MPG combined.
clutchied

Post by clutchied »

I think you hit on something that isn't really solvable in the budget car category.

I've had plenty of different cars and I keep coming back to BMW's because they are quiet and peaceful while still being fun.

I'm sure lexus and mercedes also fall into this class.

I don't like loud cars unless it's the smooth growl of a 3.0L straight 6.
feh

Post by feh »

angelescrest wrote:
Does anyone drive a smaller, more economical vehicle, that has good sound reduction from all the road and wind noise? I know tires can help, too. I'd appreciate hearing about what affordable cars you drive that are quiet on the road, but don't drive like a boat. I told myself I would drive a manual shift car until the day I die, but that may not happen anymore.
We have a Chevy Cruze that is very, very quiet in the cabin.
Topic Author
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

clutchied wrote:I think you hit on something that isn't really solvable in the budget car category.
Luxury cars definitely bring a level of peace and quiet, but I don't buy the idea that today's budget car wouldn't allow a quieter choice. It may be the exception, but these posts suggests there are a few options.
Beowulfto

Post by Beowulfto »

Nova1967 wrote:A used Lexus might be good, I have an RX350 and its so quiet sometimes I don't even know the engine is on. Maintenance is not too bad, Lexus IS basically a high end Toyata and can be repaired for half the price of the the Lexus dealership at a Toyota dealership.
I will second this comment. Had an RX 300 and loved it. Couldn't tell if it was running, inside or out!
Beowulfto

Post by Beowulfto »

angelescrest wrote:
Nova1967 wrote:
angelescrest wrote:
Nova1967 wrote:A used Lexus might be good, I have an RX350 and its so quiet sometimes I don't even know the engine is on. Maintenance is not too bad, Lexus IS basically a high end Toyata and can be repaired for half the price of the the Lexus dealership at a Toyota dealership.
Is this true? How does that compare with a regular Toyota vehicle's repair costs? I wouldn't mind an older, but reliable car like a used Lexus.
Yes a Lexus will cost a little more to repair than a Toyota but the repairs are much less than German cars, Another alternative is a Toyata Camry, I had one from 98 to 2012, I sold it at 230k miles and only because it was starting to overheat
The Camry is a good choice but if you want a little more Luxury and features the Lexus is a good choice. Assuming you buy a Lexus with low miles the maintenance costs should be minimal
Our other vehicle is actually a ten year old Camry. Drives like a boat but it is definitely a softer ride. I've read on the forums of the occasionally 2-3k fix on a Lexus, which is frightening. I'm assuming that's a Lexus dealer's outrageous prices. Besides their SUV, are their smaller cars quieter, too? Like the IS, or that hatchback?
Just purchased an '16 Camry two months ago and am very happy with the quiet ride. Have a 2001 Camry as well and notice a significant drop in noise as well and more get up and go in the drivers seat. Haven't taken a longer road-trip to evaluate long term, but very happy running around town.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

angelescrest wrote:Interesting. As a previous poster indicated, Honda is not known for good noise levels. My parent's new Odyssey wasn't all that great on our roads, either, though of course better than my vehicle. I'm surprised that your Civic is that much better, but that's good to know. I really like the latest Civic design, as well as the Accord.
I've heard newer Honda models have have made improvements on their noise levels. What year is the Odyssey? The 2014 Odyssey was a major improvement over the 2008 era and that was better than those around 2000. The new redesigned 2016 Pilot is supposed to be "quiet", and hopefully those same designers improve the new 2017 Odyssey.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news ... /index.htm
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

Beowulfto wrote:Just purchased an '16 Camry two months ago and am very happy with the quiet ride. Have a 2001 Camry as well and notice a significant drop in noise as well and more get up and go in the drivers seat. Haven't taken a longer road-trip to evaluate long term, but very happy running around town.
Dealers and manufacturers frequently emphasize low noise levels and smooth ride by putting tires with very soft rubber on brand new cars. The problem with many of these tires is their short tread life, which is the reason that most people end up switching to a different set of tires.

So, the reduced noise levels that you're experiencing on your brand new car are not really representative of the way it'll sound once you put normal tires on it.
aquaman

Post by aquaman »

likegarden wrote:To reduce the noise in my car I take off my hearing aids, really takes out the road noise, costs me nothing, actually saves the batteries.
:sharebeer
snowman

Post by snowman »

You already got many good suggestions, I would just summarize for you from my perspective:

1. Small cars will generally be the loudest cars; they will also generally be the worst performers on pothole ridden roads.
2. Older cars will generally be louder compared to newer cars, across all product lines.
3. Tires will not make much difference. You can put quietest Michelins on a loud car, and the road noise will still be pronounced.
4. Sound deadening will make a difference, but it’s fairly expensive, and it will not solve your other issues (like harsh ride over potholes).

Sounds like you are frugal person and like to drive your current car, but you are less tolerant of certain issues compared to your past. I can think of 2 solutions:

1. Sound insulation in your current car – cheapest solution addressing one of several concerns.
2. Trading for used, quiet, comfortable car – Avalon, Camry, Impala, Buick, Lexus, number of SUVs, etc.

You need to decide which attributes are most important to you, and then make a decision. I wish you good luck.
MGBGTV8

Post by MGBGTV8 »

Along the lines of noise being only part of your dissatisfaction,if you install sound-deadening lining on the floor pan of your car, you may have to remove the seat in the process. Since it's out, maybe you can find a compatible seat from a less sporty version of your car from a used parts supplier (AKA junkyard) which may be "cushier."
Flymore

Post by Flymore »

snowman wrote:You already got many good suggestions, I would just summarize for you from my perspective:

1. Small cars will generally be the loudest cars; they will also generally be the worst performers on pothole ridden roads.
2. Older cars will generally be louder compared to newer cars, across all product lines.
3. Tires will not make much difference. You can put quietest Michelins on a loud car, and the road noise will still be pronounced.
4. Sound deadening will make a difference, but it’s fairly expensive, and it will not solve your other issues (like harsh ride over potholes).

Sounds like you are frugal person and like to drive your current car, but you are less tolerant of certain issues compared to your past. I can think of 2 solutions:

1. Sound insulation in your current car – cheapest solution addressing one of several concerns.
2. Trading for used, quiet, comfortable car – Avalon, Camry, Impala, Buick, Lexus, number of SUVs, etc.

You need to decide which attributes are most important to you, and then make a decision. I wish you good luck.
If you're talking GM don't forget Cadillac.
My friend bought a couple year old caddy from craigslist for a great price and loves it.
Quiet and comfortable on trips.
Still had warranty, and the dealer really took care of him.
Fixed everything, stuff he didn't know was broke all with a loner.
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

My 2014 Camry Hybrid is more noisy than my previous 2004 Camry. It also does not offer as smooth a ride. I am not sure what Toyota did, but I prefer the old 2004 Camry, both for smooth ride, handling and noise level.
thisadviceisworthles

Post by thisadviceisworthles »

Just something to consider if you don't want to replace your car:

https://thegarage.jalopnik.com/how-to-t ... 1783080664